Author Topic: DC's Birds of Prey Movie  (Read 1435 times)

Description:

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: Gotham City Sirens: The Movie
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 05:43:22 AM »
Not big on Ayer's return as the studio already hatchet jobbed Suicide Squad (for being too dark) and I have a feeling this could suffer a similar fate.

Script writer could go either way although she's also slated to write a Dungeons & Dragons movie apparently. A little concerned that she's basically just come onto the scene and doesn't have much experience beyond writing for multiple movies at the present moment.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: Gotham City Sirens: The Movie
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:09:28 AM »
Apparently Warner Brothers/DC is gonna try and build up the female roster first before GCS with a Harley Quinn Movie based around the Birds of Prey potentially. It remains to be seen which characters are involved but it's likely Black Canary and Huntress both have key roles.

Cathy Yan has been tabbed to direct with Christina Hodson writing the script while also writing the scrip for the Batgirl movie.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: DC's Birds of Prey Movie
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 11:36:09 PM »
Apparently the only confirmed characters thus far are Harley Quinn and Batgirl although Margot Robbie has pushed for an "R-Rated Gang Girl film" of which Birds of Prey would presumably fit that bill. It's fairly reasonable to predict that Black Canary and Huntress should be involved although there's been a variety of scripts coming through including one which featured The Penguin as the main villain.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »
Newest information is the film is featuring Harley Quinn, Black Canary, Huntress, Cassandra Cain and Renee Montoya.  So if they are all in the group, three of the five were never in the group in the comics.  Still being touted as an "R-rated Girl Gang" film

https://www.thewrap.com/birds-of-prey-black-canary-huntress-cassandra-cain-renee-montoya/

[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 01:21:08 PM »
Casting rumors are surfacing.  Actresses in the running for each role:

Black Canary
Gugu Mbatha-Raw
Jurnee Smolett-Bell
Janelle Monae

Huntress
Margaret Qualley
Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Cristin Milioti

Renee Montoya
Justina Machado
Roberta Colindrez

No word on Cassandra Cain but word is the studio wants a 12-year old Asian actress.

Skimming through the thread doesn't look like this was bumped some time back when the script with The Penguin had been dropped and the villain is set to be Black Mask.
[img width=800

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 05:43:08 AM »
Black Mask is a pretty interchangeable role so it should be easier to cast.

Nic Cage please.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 06:44:00 AM »
Mary Elizabeth Winstead is going to play the Huntress.

Jurnee Smollett-Bell is Black Canary.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 03:28:39 AM »
Much like the short-list of names that ended up being accurate for the Black Canary and Huntress casting, two names from the shortlist for Black Mask have surfaced: Ewan McGregor and Sharlto Copley.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »
The cinematographer did an interview indicating Birds of Prey is more of a working title at this point but the film will likely be renamed.  Probably for the best since other than a girl group they really strayed from Birds of Prey.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 06:54:19 AM »
Variety is reporting that Ewan McGregor as Black Mask is official
[img width=800

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 02:38:20 AM »

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 06:49:36 AM »
There is supposed to be a new trailer attached to it.  From what I heard (it still hadn't been released when I read about it, just remembering to post now), while it didn't see to reveal much there was a shot where it appears
Spoiler: show
Harley's pet hyenas Bud and Lou
will appear in the film.
[img width=800

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 07:05:43 AM »
There was a teaser type thing before the IT: Chapter 2 movie, which pleasantly surprised me. It was the first one featured in the below video.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 05:46:51 AM »
[img width=800

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »
This seems like it's gonna be really bad. That poster is all kinds of awful and the emphasis on Harley isn't doing the concept any favors at all. Even as somebody who liked Robbie's interpretation of HQ, I would've greatly preferred a Gotham City Sirens story.

Cast could be solid but the release date in February + the trailer(s)/poster just screams it's a continuation of the Bad DC Films run.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 05:54:24 AM »
Trailer dropped... woof, looks like it could be bad unless you're a Margot Robbie/HQ fan or it could be really fun but the February release date concerns me. With that said, HYENA!

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 11:51:20 AM »
Opening tonight and score remained in the high 80s on Rotten Tomatoes.  Hearing mostly positive but with all DC films, not going in with high expectations.  Hoping to get a chance to see it this weekend.
[img width=800

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 02:39:11 PM »
Opening tonight and score remained in the high 80s on Rotten Tomatoes.  Hearing mostly positive but with all DC films, not going in with high expectations.  Hoping to get a chance to see it this weekend.

I thought it would be bad so my expectations are actually kinda rising (may not be able to see it until next Monday/Tuesday though). I've heard good things about Ewan McGregor and Mary Elizabeth Winstead acting wise and Robbie continues to nail her version of Harley. Curious how the 'team' aspect fares though.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 02:45:25 AM »
It made 13 million yesterday and is on pace for 34 million for the weekend. I don't know the budget or what they were predicting the opening would be, but that's gotta be a huge bomb or at least very disappointing. You couldn't avoid Harley Quinn stuff a few years ago and I imagine the studio was expecting a Deadpool type opening. Maybe it would've performed better if it was just called Harley Quinn idk.

I don't have much of a knowledge of the character outside of Suicide Squad and Batman: The Animated Series, but why was this movie R rated? Isn't the main demo of Harley Quinn like 12 to 16 year old girls?

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2020, 03:42:17 AM »
I had no clue this movie was R rated until now. I don’t like Robbie as Harley. I’ll catch this one on HBO.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 04:03:51 AM »
The Fran Drescher voice isn't a great choice, but I liked her as Harley and thought she was a highlight of Suicide Squad.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2020, 05:05:38 AM »
It made 13 million yesterday and is on pace for 34 million for the weekend. I don't know the budget or what they were predicting the opening would be, but that's gotta be a huge bomb or at least very disappointing.

Most estimates going into the weekend were mid 40s to mid 50s, so yeah, it's a real big disappointment.

Offline Sty Guy Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • Sometimes A Friend is Worth A Billion Dollars
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2020, 07:13:34 AM »
I knew this was coming out in fairly near future but didn't know it was opening this weekend until yesterday---which doesn't seem like a great sign

Year of female led superhero movies didn't exactly get off to a great start (cries some pud as he accidentally strokes Cheeto Dust through his neckbeard).

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 08:21:07 AM »
The stink of Suicide Squad is all over this movie. It looks too much like it.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »
Honestly, regardless of this film's quality; its a picture that was done no favors by its trailers and TV spots.

• Admin
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »
The trailer takes everything out of context and makes the movie look like shit. It's not great, but it's good and entertaining.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2020, 07:38:57 PM »
So far the best marketing for the film that I've seen was Margot Robbie on "Hot Ones" on Youtube, so yeah.

I really want to see it, but I'm kind of booked up for the next week.

Offline Joyful & Soyful

• brock lock
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2020, 01:18:06 AM »
I wonder if Warner Brothers panics after this and decides none of their comic book movies should be rated R even with Joker being a box office juggernaut. Not every comic book movie should be R or PG-13, but I don't think the vibe and playfulness of Harley should be rated R. She's not Deadpool and they alienated a big demographic to have it R.

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2020, 11:33:54 AM »

People are butthurt over this Twitter thread.

I have no intention of seeing the film (in theaters. I'll catch it on streaming).

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2020, 12:54:27 PM »
They’re pulling an Edge of Tomorrow (kickass movie) and going with the rename Harley Quinn: Bird of Prey... yeah. That should do it.

Offline jerk of all trades

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2020, 01:52:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure even if this movie had a hyper-sexualized HQ*, that it would still be trash that no one wants to see.

* the character not the board poster. We'd all watch that movie, amirite?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2020, 02:48:21 AM »
https://ew.com/movies/2020/02/10/birds-of-prey-title-change-disappointing-box-office/

"Birds of Prey has earned $46 million internationally for a worldwide total of $79 million so far, against a reported $82 million budget. It’s estimated that the film will need to gross $250-300 million worldwide to break even."

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2020, 07:26:36 AM »
HQ's Thoughts
Perfectly fine, enjoyable movie not helped at all by the teasers/trailers IMO. The plot largely centers around a stolen diamond and contracts put on the thief and Harley herself.

Margot Robbie stepped it up as Harley and made me believe she was the character, which is no small feat. If you liked her in Suicide Squad, she's even better throughout this movie and helps carry the load on her shoulders for most of it. Again, the movie leans on her dark humor but complements it well with a rounded character and pushes some of the psychoanalysis that worked well in SS even more in this.

Ewan McGregor was a lot of fun just being over the top & having fun with his role while Mary Elizabeth Winstead was a highlight in her stuff towards the end of the movie. Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya was solid although there were times where she felt a little... old for the role in comparison to the other characters. Victor Zsasz (Chris Messina) and Black Canary (Jurnee Smolett-Bell) had good chemistry and gave some good depth to the Black Mask/Diamond subplot that was also going on. At times it did feel like the movie was trying to handle too many threads but did a good job connecting it all towards the final act.

There were some fun action set pieces (including a neat use of an amusement park area) and several moments of black humor that got a legit laugh from me. It also was rather colorful, which was a very nice change of pace, and didn't feel dark and gritty at all visually or in tone. The R rating was a pretty soft R but helped a lot with the action and brutality of some specific moments (see the evidence locker scene in particular). This is how I thought the R rated Harley Quinn animated show would be on DC Universe, which is a credit to the movie's interpretation of the rating.

Also a lot of great little callbacks to Harley as a character strewn throughout including the animated narration to kick things off, the hyena named Bruce, the roller derby aspect in a montage, and the statue of the beaver with the latter stuff relating to her New 52 origins.

The only real negative I had was the flashback stuff that seemed to slow the pacing down at points and a few odd edits where scenes seemed to just quickly cut off rather then end spontaneously.

6.5 leaning 7/10

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2020, 10:41:33 AM »
What makes it R rated? Just a couple fucks?

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2020, 03:40:29 PM »
That movie didn't feel like it deserved an R Rating. The Flashbacks killed the momentum a bit but I enjoyed the film a good deal. Just a fun action-comedy that you never needed to think about or take seriously. Margot Robbie and Ewan Mcgegor were both very entertaining.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2020, 11:59:44 PM »
What makes it R rated? Just a couple fucks?

I'm sure it was the use of a lot of F Bombs along with some of the graphic violence (e.g. closeups of legs breaking) and a bit of blood knowing the MPAA. I'd say it was 85% language focused though.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2020, 11:25:04 AM »
Saw this today.  Not a great, deep movie but fun and way better than the preview let on.  I liked it.  I talked my buddy into going who hated the preview and is picky as a comics nerd and he enjoyed it too.

Thought Black Mask and Zsasz were good
just too bad we won’t be seeing them again when they’ve been some of the best Bat Rogues in the DCEU to date

I liked the way Huntress was presented
flipping from badass to awkward over the course of one scene and more exposure
.  Wrestling nerd in me - I couldn’t help but see some of heel Bayley in Huntress toward the end but that may be just me.

Really would’ve been curious where they went with a sequel based on how things wrapped.  Too bad box office probably won’t have it happening as worse films have done better.
[img width=800