Author Topic: General Horror Films & TV Discussion Thread  (Read 7823 times)

Description:

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
Re: 2017-2018 General Horror Discussion Thread
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 06:20:43 AM »
Heard decent buzz for It Comes At Night, which is getting a relatively wide release on Friday. Looking forward to it....

Unfortunately, it feels like mainstream horror this summer will be few and far between but hopefully enough on the indie scene to satisfy the proverbial craving.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2017, 09:38:14 AM »
Details on Shout Factory's 7/11 release of Species

DISC ONE
    NEW 4K scan of the interpositive
    Audio Commentary with Natasha Henstridge, Michael Madsen, and director Roger Donaldson
    Audio Commentary with director Roger Donaldson, make-up effects creator Steve Johnson, visual effects supervisor Richard Edlund and producer Frank Mancuso Jr.

DISC TWO
    NEW Afterbirth: The Evolution of SPECIES featuring interviews with director Roger Donaldson, cinematographer Andzej Bartkowiak, production designer John Muto, composer Christopher Young, creature designer Steve Johnson, chrysalis supervisor Billy Bryan and "Sil" creature supervisor Norman Cabrera
    From Sil To Eve – an interview with actress Natasha Henstridge
    Engineering Life
    HR Giger At Work
    The Making Of Species: The Origin, The Concept, The Discovery
    Designing A Hybrid
    Theatrical Trailer
    Alternate Ending
    Photo Galleries (Production Design, Creature Designs, Film Stills, Behind the Scenes photos, posters and lobby cards)
    Optional English SDH subtitles

Offline Gary

• They will make cemeteries their cathedrals and the cities will be your tombs.
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2017, 07:31:47 AM »
Arrow Video's September horror releases are

Based on a short story by Stephen King, The Children of the Corn is a horror classic that has spawned multiple sequels and imitators, but none as harrowing as this masterpiece of horror.
Our US pre-order links should be live soon!
Release Date: 19 September

HE WHO WALKS BEHIND THE ROWS
A young couple travelling cross-country find themselves stranded in the small town of Gatlin, where they meet a mysterious religious cult of children. With no adults in sight the terror brews as the new arrivals find the secrets of the prospering corn fields and the children who inhabit them. Led by the mysterious Isaac and the unhinged Malachi the blood-curdling secrets of the children of Gatlin are soon revealed to their new ‘outlander’ guests.
Featuring stellar performances from Linda Hamilton (Terminator) and Peter Horton (thirtysomething) and based on a short story by Stephen King, The Children of the Corn is a horror classic that has spawned multiple sequels and imitators, but none as harrowing as this masterpiece of horror.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• Brand new 2K restoration from the original negative
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Mono and 5.1 Audio Options
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Brand new audio commentary with John Sullivan of childrenofthecornmovie.com and horror journalist Justin Beahm
• Audio commentary with director Fritz Kiersch, producer Terrence Kirby and actors John Franklin and Courtney Gains
• Harvesting Horror: The Making of Children of the Corn – retrospective piece featuring interviews with director Fritz Kiersch and actors John Franklin and Courtney Gains
• It Was the Eighties! – an interview with actress Linda Hamilton
• Return to Gatlin – brand new featurette revisiting the film’s original Iowa shooting locations
• Stephen King on a Shoestring – an interview with producer Donald Borchers
• Welcome to Gatlin: The Sights and Sounds of Children of the Corn – an interview with production designer Craig Stearns and composer Jonathan Elias
• Feeling Blue – an interview with the actor who played “The Blue Man” in the fabled excised sequence
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin

FIRST PRESSING: Collectors booklet featuring new writing in the film.

Release Dates: 4/5 September
From executive producer Ben Wheatley (Kill List, Free Fire) comes a mind-bending British psychological thriller to sit alongside such classics of the genre as Nicolas Roeg and Donald Cammell’s Performance, David Lynch’s Lost Highway and Christopher Nolan’s Following.
Chris is a homicide detective called to London to investigate a strange double murder. Both victims appear to have continued moving towards their assailant despite multiple gunshots to the face and chest. On a hunch, and with the help of an old colleague – and former girlfriend – Chris decides to go undercover as a patient to investigate the suspect’s psychotherapist, the mysterious Alexander Morland, who has a taste for the occult…

The debut feature of writer-director Gareth Tunley, starring Tom Meeten (Sightseers), Alice Lowe (Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place) and Dan Renton Skinner (Notes on Blindness), The Ghoul is the latest standout addition to a thriving new wave of British cinema.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) / Standard Definiton DVD presentation
• Original 5.1 audio (uncompressed on the Blu-ray)
• Optional English subtitles for the hard-of-hearing
• Filmmakers’ commentary
• Interviews with the cast and crew
• The Baron, a 2013 short film by Gareth Tunley, starring Tom Meeten and Steve Oram (Aaaaaaaah!, Sightseers)
• Trailer

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring writing on the film by Adam Scovell, author of Folk Horror: Hours Dreadful and Things Strange

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

someone on here just called me a "Cunk" because my wife wont let me buy a harp.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2017, 01:51:36 PM »
It Comes At Night was pretty damn solid, but I will say this....if you know nothing of the movie? Keep it that way.  Don't even watch the trailer, because I think the trailer will actually do a little damage to your viewing experience. Not because it spoils anything, but because it gives a false sense of what the movie is about.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2017, 04:15:55 AM »
It Comes At Night was pretty damn solid, but I will say this....if you know nothing of the movie? Keep it that way.  Don't even watch the trailer, because I think the trailer will actually do a little damage to your viewing experience. Not because it spoils anything, but because it gives a false sense of what the movie is about.

Absolutely agreed. I somehow just was able to check out a brief plot paragraph and that was it as I didnt see one ad or trailer for it beforehand. Came in 95 percent blind and I lost track of how many times I dropped my jaw during it or generally was just like "holy shit, what is happening here". The film as a whole caught me off guard in how effective it brought the dread and fear/paranoia abound. There was a strong sense of isolation and how that can affect a person to and it was done so very well. Cinematography as a whole was incredible. Certainly left a huge mark on me upon leaving the film on Friday, it kind of rang in my head all weekend to be honest. A very unique and unsettling experience for sure.

Diddo those sentiments for Blackcoat's Daughter, which I decided to watch the same night as It Comes At Night. It took me awhile to watch it as it was a very emotionally complex film to me. Talk about a one/two punch of very deep and dark dread and sadness with both of these. If you want to freak yourself out, try a double feature of these two like I did.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »
I hated The Blackcoat's Daughter. Just felt like pretentious, high-brow schlock with a decent final 20 minutes take on
Spoiler: show
possible demonic possession
. I could see what it was going for but it just felt like a director thinking he was better than he was at directing and tried to make everything atmospheric and brooding while forgetting about the story/character development. I couldn't tell you a single character trait for any of the characters except maybe the father taking Joan in the car with his wife because
their daughter died, he keeps trying to find her again in others, and he believes in God

The film would have worked better if the director didn't try to get cute with brief snapshot flashbacks and just showed more background or actually developed a relationship with
Katherine
and the other girl so
her being stabbed to death, whilst pregnant, would actually be impactful.

Caveat: I liked The Babadook, The Witch, and Get Out but did not like It Follows or The Blackcoat's Daughter as far as recent horror films that were less spooky monsters/ghosts style horror.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2017, 11:03:52 AM »
I'm stoked for Blackcoat's Daughter for a couple of reasons. I'm enjoying this foray into more unknown horror, and it's directed by Oz Perkins, Anthony Perkins' son.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »
Perkins had a 5-10 minute interview after the Blackcoats Daughter (if you order it on DirecTv at least) which laid out the foundation and idea he was going at in the manner he did this. That would explain his very unique and effective directing style which I thought worked, it was different and fresh direction that horror needs a shot of, and created a more cerebral kind of feeling, this was similar in It Comes At Night too.

I thought the disjointed and subjective narrative in Blackcoat's Daughter as well made the film get the desired effect of it just being very psychologically effective to me. There clearly was a layer of a really twisted possession going on that was pretty well done too. There was good slow build stuff with both of these films as well. I hope more like these gets the greenlight as I'd rather see horror go in a direction like this instead of the cliche possessed children kind of bullshit.

On a side note, I read the Amityville movie (which was set to be released end of this month or next) once again got taken off the release scheduled and now is listed TBA. What in the fuggity fuck is the deal with this? That's something like the 4th or 5th shift it's done. It also went from an R film to a PG-13 cut at some point too.

Offline IRS Abdominal Stretch

• brock lock
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »
Why not just put it on Netflix? Are they waiting for Bella Thorne to become a breakout star? I think there was a trailer for it when I went to see Annabelle

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2017, 05:08:13 AM »
Yeah I dont get why they just dont release it on Bluray/On Demand/Netflix, etc. There has to be some weird behind the scenes dealings with Dimension/TWC/Blumhouse that's preventing this from just being released. The damn thing has been in the can since fn 2014 so its long overdue that this just gets released already!

Yeah I've seen years of variations of this trailer attached to horror films, it just seems silly to spend all this marketing $$$$$ everytime they get close to the release date only to pull it.

The difference this time is that no future release date has been announced. The other times they at least just moved it ahead to another date.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »
Blue Underground will release Dario Argento's "The Stendhal Syndrome" on July 25th. Extras include

Disc 1 Extras:

NEW Audio Commentary with Troy Howarth, author of So Deadly, So Perverse
Three Shades Of Asia – NEW Interview with Star Asia Argento
Prisoner Of Art – NEW Interview with Co-Writer Franco Ferrini
Sharp As A Razor – NEW Interview with Special Makeup Artist Franco Casagni
Theatrical Trailer
Poster & Still Gallery

Disc 2 Extras:

Director: Dario Argento
Inspiration: Psychological Consultant Graziella Magherini
Special Effects: Sergio Stivaletti
Assistant Director: Luigi Cozzi
Production Designer: Massimo Antonello Geleng

BONUS Collectable Booklet with new essay by author Michael Gingold

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »
Shits getting hairy with rights to the Jason character in court....kind of strange implications too. Is this why shit has fell through so much with a new film and the t.v. series?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/friday-13th-producer-points-writers-union-membership-bid-hold-franchise-rights-1012930

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2017, 03:58:42 PM »
There is some talk about a movie called HERE ALONE, that is similar to IT COMES AT NIGHT.  People seem to like both.  I will be checking out HERE ALONE soon.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2017, 02:22:21 AM »
I finally got around to watching It Follows, yesterday.  A little bit of the film is genuinely unnerving and the wide angle shots are very nice, but the end was so sudden.  I still can't say for sure if I really liked it, but for now, it was just OK.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2017, 05:09:43 AM »
It was an interesting movie. As you said, there are some very unnerving shots, and it looks great, the score is top notch. I HATE the ending. They work the entire movie to set up rules in their universe, and then break almost all of them at the end.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
Scream Factory's latest acquisitions

Should be out in October

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »
Also, it looks like Night of the Living Dead is joining Criterion. Apparently, Martin Scorsese handled the new 4K restoration

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2017, 03:51:31 AM »
Another October release from Scream Factory will be 883346015792766976[/tweet]/photo/1]Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2017, 03:02:37 AM »

• brock lock
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2017, 05:59:14 AM »

ugh. This type of movie seems so passe and outdated in 2017 and they couldn't even get any familiar faces or c level actors. Even The Bye Bye Man had Carrie Anne Moss and Faye Dunaway.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2017, 06:24:42 AM »

ugh. This type of movie seems so passe and outdated in 2017 and they couldn't even get any familiar faces or c level actors. Even The Bye Bye Man had Carrie Anne Moss and Faye Dunaway.
Looking back, I honestly think the "Saw" series is probably my least favorite horror franchise. The first one isn't terrible, but it wasn't all that good either, and they just got progressively worse with each outing. Even "Leatherface" looks more interesting than this. At least that's from the dudes that directed "Inside"

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2017, 04:30:23 AM »
There's a documentary that came out in January called Unearthed & Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary, a must watch for any fan of the movie. It's available on Amazon Prime.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2017, 01:41:29 AM »
There's a documentary that came out in January called Unearthed & Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary, a must watch for any fan of the movie. It's available on Amazon Prime.

Nice. Thinking out loud here but it seems like retrospective docs on especially horror franchises or cult favs seem to be a trend the past few years. Is there a site or listing that has them all, including where they might be (Amazon, Netflix, etc)?

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
Re: 2017-2018 Horror Films & TV Discussion Thread
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2017, 11:29:22 PM »
Apparently last night at an event for the Hatchet 10th Anniversary the audience was expecting to view the original film but instead got to see the debut of the new movie....

http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/22/hatchet-victor-crowley-adam-green/

Titled Victor Crowley it's being called a reboot but the events of the original trilogy happened and this one takes place ten years later.

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2017, 09:37:49 AM »
Eh, I'm bored so upcoming horror Blu and DVD releases

Sept 5th

-Raw (DVD only) (Universal)
-The Ghoul (Arrow Video)
-The Spell (Scream Factory)
-A Dark Song (IFC/Scream Factory)
-American Psycho 2 (Lionsgate) Because...I dunno. You want to own everything William Shatner has appeared in?

Sept 12th

-Dario Argento's Phenomea (Synapse) Excited for this one
-Dan O Bannon's The Resurrected (Scream Factory) I really recommend this one by the way. It's Dan O Bannon doing an adaptation of Lovecraft's "The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward"
-It Comes At Night (Lionsgate)
-Evil Dead 1 and 2 (Lionsgate)
-The Suspicious Death of a Minor (Arrow Video)
-The Fox With a Velvet Tail (Mondo Macabro)
-Spider (Mondo Macabro)

Sept 19th

-The Devil's Candy (IFC/Scream Factory) You should see this one if you haven't already
-Children of the Corn (Arrow Video)
-Innocent Blood (Warner Archive)
-A Quiet Place in the Country (Scream Factory)

Sept 26th

-After Midnight (Scream Factory)
-The Dead Next Door (Tempe Digital)
-Psychos in Love (Vinegar Syndrome)

Oct 3rd

-Cult of Chucky (Universal) or you can just get the 7 movie collection
-Vampyr (Criterion) Love this one
-Popcorn (Synapse)
-976-Evil (Sony)

Oct 10th

-Kill Baby Kill (Kino Lorber) yay for more Mario Bava on Blu
-The Poughkeepsie Tapes Tapes (Scream Factory)
-Blood Feast (Arrow Video)
-The Lift (Blue Underground)

Oct 17th

-Rawhead Rex (Kino Lorber)
-Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate Collection (Universal)
-Red Christmas (Artsploitation)

Oct 24th

-George A. Romero: Between Night and Day (Arrow Video) Limited Edition box set containing "Season of the Witch", "There's Always Vanilla" and "The Crazies"
-Land of the Dead (Scream Factory)
-Dawn of the Dead (the 2004 remake) (Scream Factory)
-The Old Dark House (Cohen Media)
-Night Angel Kino Lorber
-The Corpse Grinders, Demon Wind, Blood Beat, Prime Evil and Lurkers (Vinegar Syndrome)

Oct 31st

-J.D.'s Revenge (Arrow Video)
-Slaughter High (Vestron Video/Lionsgate)

November Titles (Thus Far)

-Satan's Cheerleaders (Nov 07th) (VCI)
-Paul Naschy Collection II (Nov 14th) (Scream Factory)
-Misery (Nov 28th) (Scream Factory)

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »
No dates yes, but coming soon or eventually

-Suspiria (Limited Edition Steelbox) (Synapse)
-The Kindred (Synapse)
-The Hidden (Warner Archive)
-Anthropophagus (Severin)
-Don't Torture a Duckling (Arrow Video) I'm confused, because Amazon has it still listed for September, but I've heard it's been moved to October 3rd
-Basket Case (Arrow Video)
-Silent Night, Deadly Night (Scream Factory)
-Drag Me to Hell (Scream Factory)
-Who Could Kill a Child (Mondo Macabro)
-The Blood Spattered Bride (Mondo Macabro)
-The Unnameable (Unearthed Films)

And several titles from Code Red DVD and Scorpion Releasing, including

-Dario Argento's Opera
-The Church
-The Sect
-Lucio Fulci's City of the Living Dead, The Psychic and Murder Rock
-Umberto Lenzi's Seven Blood Stained Orchids
-Cut and Run

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2017, 09:57:46 AM »
The Missus and I watched a few films this weekend.  Saturday, we caught Ouija Origin of Evil.  It was just OK, but honestly, the creepy kid gimmick is getting quite old.  Last night, it was the Tom Cruise Mummy and Oculus.  The Mummy was a bye the numbers action flick, but it was fun in a mindless way.  I recommend seeing it at least once.  It was trying to set up a cinematic universe, but since it tanked, I guess we won't see much of that.  Oculus was a lot better than I expected, and well worth seeing. 

Offline rollie

• ulfistgut
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2017, 11:43:33 PM »
Is Stenhal Syndrom worth watching? I've really enjoyed what Argento I've seen but generally understood that there was a pretty sharp decline after Opera so haven't seen anything from that point onwards. I'm not a big horror person but really enjoy doing a series of horror films in October and the films I've watched of his have been some of my favourites within the genre - his aesthetic and the Giallo/supernatural with Giallo tinge stories just click really well for me.
I'm vaguely tempted by the third three mothers too in a "well I know it's gonna be shite but completionist?" kinda of way...

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2017, 04:02:17 AM »
No idea but if you do decide to check it out, let us know if it's worth the watch.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »
The Missus and I watched a few films this weekend.  Saturday, we caught Ouija Origin of Evil.  It was just OK, but honestly, the creepy kid gimmick is getting quite old.  Last night, it was the Tom Cruise Mummy and Oculus.  The Mummy was a bye the numbers action flick, but it was fun in a mindless way.  I recommend seeing it at least once.  It was trying to set up a cinematic universe, but since it tanked, I guess we won't see much of that.  Oculus was a lot better than I expected, and well worth seeing.

Oculus was one of my favorite movies the year it came out. The director did a movie called Hush last year that was great. He also did the Netflix Stephen King movie Gerald's Game that debuts later this month as well as The Haunting of Hill House for Netflix for later this year. He also directed Ouija Origin of Evil.

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »

Oculus was one of my favorite movies the year it came out. The director did a movie called Hush last year that was great. He also did the Netflix Stephen King movie Gerald's Game that debuts later this month as well as The Haunting of Hill House for Netflix for later this year. He also directed Ouija Origin of Evil.

I've watched Ouija Origin and Hush.  Hush was so damn good.  It was a wonderfully filmed and smart suspense/slasher.  OOoE was pretty good as well.  It wasn't the best I've watched, but I would recommend it to fans of hauntings.  I saw the trailer for Gerald's Game, and now I can't wait to see it!

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2017, 07:41:43 AM »
Just saw It Comes At Night, thought it was amazing. I kinda want more from that universe.. but I know if Hollywood gets their hands on it for a sequel (which is what usually happens) it'll probably be a shit show.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Online Great Patriot Hostage

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2017, 04:13:27 AM »
I asked students who their top 3 greatest Americans are and two different students selected Wes Craven, and one of those and another said Tim Burton!

Offline Gary

• CXF Writer
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2017, 07:27:24 AM »
"Hellraiser" will be getting a SteelBook release on Halloween via Arrow. Also, Scream Factory will be releasing "Silent Night, Deadly Night", "Hell Night" and "American Gothic" in December.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2017, 07:56:01 AM »
Blumhouse is releasing Happy Death Day on October 13th in theaters. It's basically Groundhog Day meets Detective Story (solving your own murder) with more of a comedy tinge. Looks like it could be a fun ride.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2017, 07:22:22 AM »
Jamie Lee Curtis is back one last time, as Laurie Strode.  Next year's Halloween, which releases on October 19th, is a direct sequel to the 1981 Halloween 2.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3459383/jamie-lee-curtis-playing-laurie-strode-blumhouses-halloween/

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2017, 07:38:52 AM »
Halloween Resurrection never happened? I'm ok with that.

Offline Nymyzys

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »
I know, right?

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2017, 08:38:20 AM »
Halloween Resurrection never happened? I'm ok with that.

It's a direct sequel to part 2, making everything after null and void.

Offline Edwin

• Smash and bang is my favorite combination
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2017, 01:53:36 PM »
Gary, you were not fucking around with The Devil's Candy.  Pure metal horror ownage.  On Netflix, guys!

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2017, 03:33:33 PM »
I thought H20 already did the "she is back....and ignore Parts 4,5, & 6" route?

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »
I thought H20 already did the "she is back....and ignore Parts 4,5, & 6" route?

Yeah that is pretty much what happened. 4, 5 and 6 were almost like their own trilogy of sorts, although its arguable if 6 tied into much of anything prior. 7 and 8 then created a new alternate timeline then when they got Jamie Lee back in, forged from the events of the first and second films.

Now I guess both of those timelines are going to be thrown out in favor of playing into the events of part 2, but not acknowledging or tying in any family connection to the Laurie Strode character being related to Myers. That's probably for the best as it seemed like a beaten down idea anyway after they played the family connection to death in 4/5 too.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2017, 07:00:27 AM »
Saw a few notable franchise films lately....

Leatherface: This is a prequal to the events of the original TCM and also ties in quite a bit to the 3D franchise reboot sequel (since this was done by the same producing troupe, I believe). This was actually alot better than I figured it would be, certainly eons better than TCM: The Beginning was from Platinum Dunes. Lots of insane unabashed gore here, thanks to the pair behind the original Inside. You could tell they had their directing style and feel all over this one. There was a few major swerves that I enjoyed as well. It feels like the TCM franchise is in good hands with the folks creating this new timeline and explanation behind things. Now will they do another film? Who knows but it seems plausible to do perhaps one final film if they can get back Alexandra Daddario in her role from before.

Jeepers Creepers 3: I caught this last night as they did a "one night only" gimmick on this, probably because there was tons of backlash about Victor Salva again and his icky past. That said, the theater I saw it in was huge and it was sold out so there is a bit of interest here that might force them to do a limited release sooner than later here given these numbers that I think will be impressive when they break it all down. I know the advance sales were so strong that they are already going to do a second one night only on this, on October 4.

Unfortunately, the film falls into the 3rd movie curse, as it was not really as good as the second even (which in itself was kinda shit and very homo-erotic for obvious reasons....the director/writer) and the narrative was kind of all over the place for me. The Creeper once again stole the show of course, as the side characters (all which had little connection to the other films even though this is supposed to take place AFTER the events of part 1 and BEFORE part 2) were pretty weak in general. I was surprised, in fact, that this was so haphazardly done since they have had over 10 years to get the kinks worked out.

A big qualm I had with this film was that there was no real final major scene of a big battle with whoever and the Creeper. He just kept killing, and then was contained/controlled by a confusing series of events that was never explained whatsoever. Total head scratching writing there.

More than anything this film felt like a placeholder of sorts. There is a scene at the end that, without spoiling anything, finally ties up a loose end from the first film that will certainly lead to what I'd consider perhaps a final blowoff film, taking place 23 years later after the events of the first three. The question is will they actually make a 4th film after this one? I can't see it happening unless this one surprisingly makes a decent gate financially, which seems possible.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2017, 11:17:01 AM »
Gary, you were not fucking around with The Devil's Candy.  Pure metal horror ownage.  On Netflix, guys!

Just finished watching this. Literally, the credits are rolling as I type this. FUCK YES! This movie was off the charts, and I implore every horror fan to watch it.

• brock lock
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2017, 12:25:12 PM »
I thought Leatherface was perfectly fine as well. Much better than the abomination that was Texas Chainsaw 3D and better than TCM: The Beginning. It felt more like a Rob Zombie movie than a Leatherface movie for most of it which was actually kind of refreshing since they've pretty much done everything they could do with this franchise. Having Stephen Dorff and Lily Taylor in the cast certainly helped too as they both gave really good performances. Very gory, maybe one of the goriest in the franchise and really nasty in some scenes which shouldn't be a surprise with the directors of Inside at the helm. Way better than I expected.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2017, 11:58:13 AM »
I just finished watching Cult of Chucky. I'm a big fan of the series, and this was a great addition. It was a fun movie. I'd recommend not watching it on Netflix, though. It's not the unrated version, and the unrated version is the only way to get the post credit scene, and it's a great scene that long time fans will love. I actually popped for it.

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2017, 11:25:55 PM »
Just watched that last night. Solid entry and Fiona Dourif added great new blood to the series, but Cult also shows the weakest parts of the "arthouse horror" trend by waiting until the final 10 minutes to start boiling before an abrupt finish.

If I'm ranking them, it's ahead of Seed and 3, but the first two and Bride and Curse were better.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
That's a pretty good ranking of the movies. The first is a classic, the second is a solid follow up, and Bride breathed new life into the series. I have to re-watch Curse, which I just got from Amazon, as I haven't seen it since it was released, but I remember really liking it. 3 is really bad, and while I do like Seed, it's a little too cheesy and doesn't always work.

Offline rollie

• ulfistgut
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2017, 11:13:12 PM »
No idea but if you do decide to check it out, let us know if it's worth the watch.

It probably isn't.
It's vaguely interesting as a fan of other Argento, you can see him continuing an idea he had with Opera and making it far more fully formed but it's probably not an idea that needs to occupy 1/3rd of the film (it's p obvious where things are going and there's little tension).
I feel like two of Argento's main strengths are his ultra tense sequences and distinctive imagery. There is little of the former which feels like a conscious decision, the kills are shot very differently from how he's done previous films but rather than shaking things up it feels like it robs the film of tension. It at least made me think a lot about what he does well in the earlier films (by noticing their absence). The lack of sequences that feel like you're in a nightmare trying to escape something is definitely pretty notable.
There is a strong attempt to do some interesting imagery but it's pretty hampered by using CGI which makes things look pretty not good. An early scene involving a fish (which isn't CGI) is decent in the creepy Argento dreamlike way but most everything else really failed to register (I guess it might've been impressive at the time, but that's CGI's general issue innit?).

So yeah, it's interesting from the perspective of watching a filmmaker progress to something lesser but it's pretty much convinced me not to watch anything else from his later work (although the 3rd Mother film is mildly tempting just for completions sake)...