Author Topic: Old School Observations/Questions: 2018-2019 Edition  (Read 25789 times)

Description:

Offline Saints_Fan_H

Re: Old School Observations/Questions, 2017 Edition
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2017, 03:09:47 AM »
I didn't like the R/B but that's my tastes. I knew a guy that was wearing his Wolfpack Nash shirt as late as 2006.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2017, 03:37:20 AM »
I wear a B/W one on a regular basis today and always get compliments on it/questions from classmates who are a decade younger than me. I actually wore it under my rain jacket when walking around the city getting video during the hurricane in October, now that I think about it. I really missed a chance to be a viral clip star by not revealing it and turning heel on the weatherman from Charlotte who interviewed me for a minute.

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2017, 03:52:57 AM »
Probably not universally cool, but I liked that Cena 8-bit NES box shirt.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2017, 03:57:04 AM »
My friend got me a Dean Ambrose "Lunatic Fringe" shirt for my birthday last year. I wear it when I do errands or going to a wrestling show.

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2017, 03:59:13 AM »
The Angle HOF induction and question posed by a colleague in our work's group chat makes me think of two things:

The question asked was "can we name anyone who hasn't lost by tapping out." One such guess was Austin, who IIRC, tapped to Angle at Unforgiven. This leads into the second thing:

I can't find it whatsoever, but I could swear at Summerslam the prior month Heyman completely no-sells JR's anger after Austin got himself DQ'd.

The Ultimate Warrior has the highest win percentage in wrestling history (for wrestlers with more than 50 matches) at 88.46% (Record: 138-16-2). Were any of those 16 losses submissions?

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2017, 04:24:27 AM »
The Angle HOF induction and question posed by a colleague in our work's group chat makes me think of two things:

The question asked was "can we name anyone who hasn't lost by tapping out." One such guess was Austin, who IIRC, tapped to Angle at Unforgiven. This leads into the second thing:

I can't find it whatsoever, but I could swear at Summerslam the prior month Heyman completely no-sells JR's anger after Austin got himself DQ'd.

The Ultimate Warrior has the highest win percentage in wrestling history (for wrestlers with more than 50 matches) at 88.46% (Record: 138-16-2). Were any of those 16 losses submissions?

Never submitted. And in those 16 losses he was only pinned like 5 times. Most of them were countout or DQ. And people think guys are protected now.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 5 HAS BEGUN!

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2017, 04:29:25 AM »
It all comes down to overexposure.  Warrior worked 156 televised matches in multiple runs.

Reigns probably worked 156 televised matches from January to August of one year, given they book people in multiple matches per show and all other nonsense.

Same reason people treated Hogan like Cena by 92ish and his run was much shorter and not even on TV as much as Cena
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Tino Standard

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2017, 05:32:55 AM »

That shirt was awesome! If they ever started printing it again, I would probably buy one, and I'm not even much of a Cena fan.

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »
Andre the Giant and Ted DiBiase have also never lost via submission, according to IWD.

Goldberg submitted once; interestingly enough, he has never lost by countout.

I'm just looking up random guys now, but know who else never submitted? Honky Tonk! 

Offline A FUCKIN' TEN

• Alfdogg
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2017, 09:11:15 AM »
Heenan should have made SummerSlam 88 a submission match
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Online JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
That's the one Cena shirt I ever bought because it was too awesome not to buy.

Same for the old Miz "Hello I'm Awesome" nametag shirt.  I wore the hell out of that one.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »
Ted DiBiase
I mentally called bullshit on this but after thinking I actually can't think of an example. Weird. Dibiase as "The Million Dollar" man was always a heel. How many programs did he have with submission based faces, though? By the time I was watching in late 91 he was mid carding it. I wonder if he had ANY matches with IC Bret Hart.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2017, 10:43:11 PM »
Didn't Virgil beat him with the Million Dollar Dream?
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Online JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2017, 12:57:55 AM »
Ted DiBiase
I mentally called bullshit on this but after thinking I actually can't think of an example. Weird. Dibiase as "The Million Dollar" man was always a heel. How many programs did he have with submission based faces, though? By the time I was watching in late 91 he was mid carding it. I wonder if he had ANY matches with IC Bret Hart.
12/29/1991 against Bret Hart, which aired on Prime Time Wrestling a few days after Bret lost the belt.

Offline Skywarp!

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2017, 03:13:34 AM »

The SummerSlam match was a DQ (Virgil had him in the dream; Sherri hit Virgil in the back of the head with a purse in full view of the ref). Wrestlemania VII had Virgil winning by countout. Don't know about any others.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2017, 01:03:25 AM »
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wwf-madison-square-garden-11261984/

A wild night at MSG sees the return of Jimmy Snuka as he joins his cousin The Tonga Kid for a bout with Roddy Piper, accompanied by Ace Orton. Tito Santana and Greg Valentine steal the show with an intense 25 minute war of attrition, plus David Schultz has bizarre bout with Rocky Johnson, Bruno Sammartino returns to aide his son David against Ken Patera, plus Barry Windham debuts and more! 

Online JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2017, 01:25:24 AM »

The SummerSlam match was a DQ (Virgil had him in the dream; Sherri hit Virgil in the back of the head with a purse in full view of the ref). Wrestlemania VII had Virgil winning by countout. Don't know about any others.
The SummerSlam match was restarted, with Virgil eventually getting a pin by throwing DiBiase into a turnbuckle that DiBiase exposed earlier.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2017, 01:27:08 AM »
I'm watching a match from 1950 between Gorgeous George and Cyclone Anaya. I've never looked at any match this old and it's tripping me out. I always wondered how matches used to have holds which lasted forever (compared to today) without boring the crowd and it's neat to see how much these guys are relying on little things to convey their story. The single commentator is great too, properly despising the heel. The crowd's outrage at cheating rules.

EDIT: George does this awesome headlock takedown into a pin that I don't think I've ever seen exactly. Holy shit, the last thing I expected to see in this was an unfamiliar move.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2017, 03:19:07 AM »
Here's one I never heard before.  Gillberg did a recent interview following his RAW appearance.  Don't remember this before but apparently he was originally booked for the Gimmick Battle Royal at Wrestlemania 17

" I made it to WrestleMania one time and I made it to the curtain and I had three seconds to go and they stopped me. I was standing getting ready to go out of the curtain for the Gimmick Battle Royal and they stopped me three seconds before I walked through the curtain and said sorry you can't go. They thought Bill was coming in for the first time and they didn't know how he would react. They just kind of freaked out. I understand the business but you want to talk about crushing man, it killed me. It was a hard one to take and ever since then I want to go back. I've got to make it through that curtain. That's why I am now doing #GillbergWrestleMania on social media. Everything is #GillbergWrestleMania please lets get me on WrestleMania and lets do this."
[img width=800

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2017, 02:14:31 PM »
Just sitting here and drinking and thinking about how weird it is that Jamie Noble's first big break was pretending to be a Chinese dude. Kind of weird in general but especially given how the rest of his career turned out.

Now that is a random old school observation.

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2017, 02:36:05 PM »
P. sure you mean Japanese dude.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »

I don't think I knew Darsow showed up with hair a few weeks before becoming the obnoxious fan aka Blacktop Bully?

---
With perhaps no better place to share this, we had a wrestler meet and greet in Milwaukee today. So my buddy and I took the 2 hour drive, then sat in line for 2 hours to get to the front of another line. Kurt Angle, Tony Atlas, Howard Finkel, Val Venis, the Godfather and Maria were there. This was run by a semi-pro hockey club and ended up a mess. We were told that each person would either sign an item for free and a picture would be 10 dollars.  I don't care about autographs and wanted pics of myself with the guys.
So once the line started it was chaos. The "rules" changed depending on who you asked and the wrestlers didn't know either way. The guys were all lined up behind a big table, so no pictures were allowed with the guys. We were given a black and white promo pic with all six guys pictures on it to have them sign.  Some of their handlers otherwise wanted 10 dollars to have anything else signed.  As we got up to the workers, one of the event planners ran past the table and screamed "DO NOT TALK TO THE FANS! THERE IS A THOUSAND PEOPLE IN LINE AND THERE IS NO TIME!"    The guys ignored him.   My buddy did not bring cash with, so he ended up not getting all his classic wrestlers signed like he wanted to. He was pissed as when we came back down by the workers an hour later, they were signing everything for free unless you had more than one item.
Anyway - my experience:
Maria - I had nothing to say to her, so I just said "Thanks Darling!" after she signed my promo pic.
Howard Finkel - He seemed ornery, perhaps due to having had two of his friends die this weekend?  I told him about how I work with Jules Strongbow and that Strongbow was interested in talking to Finkel again. I asked if Jules could contact him on Twitter or what. Howard gently questioned my story about knowing Jules and refused to give me an answer on how he could best be contacted. I gave him a firm handshake with my other hand covering our grasp as I wanted to convey a deep respect for his efforts in wrestling.  He told me he does not go to WWE TV anymore.
The Godfather - I told him that he scared the crap out of me in 1992 as Papa Shango to the degree that I had to hide a WWF magazine he was on the cover of, or else I would be scared at night.   He and Val cracked up and Godfather said "I guess I did my job!"
Val Venis - I told him I watched a shoot where he expressed his (libertarian?) political views and I found him very fascinating. That was probably not what geeks usually talk to him about and he gave me a warm "thank you" with a smile as we shook hands.
Kurt Angle - Angle was walking like a man in great pain. I congratulated him on his Hall of Fame nod.
Tony Atlas - I bought a print of his artwork of all the guys on "Legends House" and most of our interaction was just confusion over his lack of proper change for my 20 dollar bill.
Overall, the autograph and picture mess left a bitter taste in our mouths, but I enjoyed meeting the guys.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2017, 04:54:42 PM »
P. sure you mean Japanese dude.
I thought they were doing a kung fu gimmick. Although "Jamie-San" is more Japanese, I guess.

Most likely answer is Russo really can't distinguish between Chinese and Japanese people. Hence why a Korean-American dude and Jamie Noble were in the stable.

Offline Gert

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2017, 05:41:11 AM »
Watching Wrestle War '90 right now, I know the plan was for Sting to face Flair, but was he supposed to win the title here too? Just curious because it would have been interesting to see who his first challenger would have been or if it would have been more Flair matches or if Luger would have stayed heel?

Offline A FUCKIN' TEN

• Alfdogg
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2017, 07:03:21 AM »
Sting was supposed to win the title and I'm pretty sure Luger was set up as his first challenger.  Herd wanted to move away from Flair as a main-eventer.  Not sure what the plans were for the US title.  Luger was set up to face Dr. Death at WW, but Doc quit around the same time I think.

EDIT: his last appearance was in fact at the same Clash show where the Horsemen turned on Sting and he suffered the knee injury.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2017, 07:44:34 AM »
I find it crazy they were trying to phase Flair out as far back as the late 80s/early 90s. And he went for another how many years? Sheesh.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2017, 07:45:30 AM »
There were good reasons to try to phase out Flair, though.

Business wasn't booming in 1990 by any stretch. WCW was bleeding money post-1989.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »
There were good reasons to try to phase out Flair, though.

Business wasn't booming in 1990 by any stretch. WCW was bleeding money post-1989.

I think Herd was 100% right to start phasing out Flair.  I just disagree with how he did it, by trying to give him a humiliating gimmick and firing him WHILE HE WAS STILL WORLD CHAMPION!  I personally don't think he should have even put the belt back on him in 1991, but at least get the belt off of him first and then fire him if that is what you are going to do.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
Should've pushed PN News more.

• Admin
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2017, 10:11:29 AM »
I think there was more potential mileage in pushing Road Warrior Hawk than Sting at that early point. But we'll never know.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2017, 03:44:02 AM »
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/best-eddie-gilbert-volume-one/

The Best of Eddie Gilbert - Volume One includes his TV debut in the late 70's, his violent feud with Tommy Rich, the Concession stand brawl, Gilbert's famous WWF angle with the Masked Superstar, Wrestling a fan in Continental, tons of promos, and of course a heavy dose of the never ending Jerry Lawler vs. Gilbert feud that raged in Memphis for 10 years.

Offline CanadianGuitarist

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2017, 12:36:39 PM »
How did the Smoking Gunns turn heel? They were fairly solid as faces for three years or so - did they just show up on TV with Sunny? I feel like there's a detail I'm missing.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »
Sunny was being courted by Phineas Godwinn while Bodydonnas were the tag champs.  Sunny helped the Godwinns win but in their following defense against the Gunns, she turned and revealed she was really with Billy and it was a ploy to get the Gunns the titles.

They had also pushed how Sunny managed back to back to back tag champs with this.
[img width=800

Offline A FUCKIN' TEN

• Alfdogg
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
Confusing story here from Bruce Prichard as it has some factual inaccuracies (such as Pat Patterson's Italian accent), but the gist I got from it is that Rick Martel's Iron Man run in the 91 Rumble wasn't supposed to happen, and that the agents just forgot he was still in the match.  If my hunch is true, it's kinda depressing to hear as that's one of the definitive Rumble memories for me.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »
Well, he's kind of mashing up stories and telling it like it was the 1988 Royal Rumble (which Martel wasn't in and was in Hamilton, Ontario not Toronto). But, uh, '80s wrestlers did a lot of coke.

I could KIND of buy Martel's '91 Rumble run being a fluke/over though tbh,

• Admin
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
Might be true, might not. The iron man spot used to be given to wrestlers who were being punished. Greg Valentine was made to go long for taking an indy booking.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2017, 01:33:05 PM »
Punishing Greg Valentine by making him go really long in the match when his gimmick was partly based around him being "grizzled vet who can wrestle a long time" is kind of odd but WWE is WWE.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
Might be true, might not. The iron man spot used to be given to wrestlers who were being punished. Greg Valentine was made to go long for taking an indy booking.

Hercules and Shane Douglas also lasted an unusually long time in that Rumble.

Offline A FUCKIN' TEN

• Alfdogg
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
Herc was especially odd because it was months after his singles push had been killed.

• CXF Writer

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2017, 04:29:51 AM »
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/eddiegilbertvol2/

A look at some more of Eddie Gilbert's best matches and angles as we dive into Memphis for a bloodbath with Tommy Rich and Jackie Fargo, then we head to Philly for an all over the place brawl with Cactus Jack. Gilbert gets personal in Smoky Mountain Wrestling as he mocks Ricky Morton's family, which leads to the debut of the Unibomb. We return to Memphis for Doug Gilbert's infamous shoot on Jerry Lawler. Dennis Coraluzzo brings in Gilbert for a battle with Road Warrior Hawk - and we close with Gilbert's chicanery from his run in Global wrestling.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2017, 02:46:25 AM »
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/roadwarriorsinajpw/

The Road Warriors come to Japan and face the biggest names of the time as Jumbo Tsuruta, Tenryu, Giant Baba, Terry and Dory Funk, Killer Khan, “Animal” Hamaguchi and others match up with the young power houses. Many piledrivers are no sold, and many veterans are smashed along the way.

Online JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2017, 09:13:17 PM »
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/eddiegilbertvol2/

A look at some more of Eddie Gilbert's best matches and angles as we dive into Memphis for a bloodbath with Tommy Rich and Jackie Fargo, then we head to Philly for an all over the place brawl with Cactus Jack. Gilbert gets personal in Smoky Mountain Wrestling as he mocks Ricky Morton's family, which leads to the debut of the Unibomb. We return to Memphis for Doug Gilbert's infamous shoot on Jerry Lawler. Dennis Coraluzzo brings in Gilbert for a battle with Road Warrior Hawk - and we close with Gilbert's chicanery from his run in Global wrestling.
I'm actually a huge fan of the Gilbert-Garvin match on here (and their entire feud in general, honestly), but I was following Global and was invested in their feud. 

Offline A FUCKIN' TEN

• Alfdogg
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »
So as most know after SummerSlam 91, the Savage/Liz wedding angle concluded with Jake Roberts and Undertaker crashing the wedding reception with the cobra.  Was this angle/feud created on the fly after Warrior walked out?  Jake was obviously headed towards a feud with Warrior following his heel turn, and some interaction between the two was even hinted at on commentary earlier in the show.

• Admin
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »
So as most know after SummerSlam 91, the Savage/Liz wedding angle concluded with Jake Roberts and Undertaker crashing the wedding reception with the cobra.  Was this angle/feud created on the fly after Warrior walked out?  Jake was obviously headed towards a feud with Warrior following his heel turn, and some interaction between the two was even hinted at on commentary earlier in the show.

Not really. They had been trying to get Savage to come back as a wrestler for quite a while, so they figured they do the angle and he works once on PPV against Jake while Warrior/Jake do the house shows. Savage coming back as a wrestler on the tours was the result of a six month badgering attempt where they just refused to let him actually retire.

I may or may not be correct but I remember reading in a WON that they gave the Genius his job back as part of that attempt.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2017, 01:53:08 AM »
That's crazy that they blocked him from retiring back then because wasn't the story about him going to WCW was he was tired of being forced on commentary and wanted to keep wrestling?
[img width=800

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2017, 02:14:06 AM »
https://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wrasslin-back-in-the-day-november-1984/

November of 1984 sees an exodus of talent from the WWF, plus Snuka returns from hiatus to go after Piper, Andre gets an unplanned haircut, the WWF runs a card with NINETEEN cage matches(!), Bruno returns to MSG, Bruiser Brody and Ric Flair tangle in St Louis, The Omni plays host to a big tag team tournament, The AWA beats the WWF in a head to head battle for the Twin Cities, Wrestlers not showing up to work continue to haunt the AWA, the WWF messes with Pro Wrestling USA's touring plans, Jerry Lawler takes on monster heels, Kerry Von Erich heads to Hollywood, The Von Erich Family finds an unlikely friend, Mid-South heads back to the Superdome, Bill Watts books a major babyface turn, and Starrcade goes down in JCP - plus more news, notes and results!

• Admin
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2017, 03:55:49 AM »
That's crazy that they blocked him from retiring back then because wasn't the story about him going to WCW was he was tired of being forced on commentary and wanted to keep wrestling?

Yeah, a few years later. Once they gave him the itch to get back in the ring once he was set on retiring, he didn't want to stop.

They were also building to a Savage-Backlund feud when he left the WWF. So he may have gotten in there, just not as much as he wanted to.

Offline A FUCKIN' TEN

• Alfdogg
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2017, 07:12:36 AM »
WM10 against Crush was actually Savage's last televised match with the WWF.  After that all he worked was overseas tours and a few house show matches with Jerry Lawler.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2017, 12:56:13 PM »
I rewatched the '94 RAWs when they uploaded them to the Network and they were definitely teasing a Savage/Backlund match when Macho left for WCW. His last appearance in WWE, fittingly, was him ranting about how much it upset him that he had to sit at the commentary booth and not be able to wrestle Backlund.