Author Topic: FX and Marvel's 'Legion'  (Read 1439 times)

Description: From Noah Howley, producer of 'Fargo'

Offline YEAAAAAH, WE DID IT AGAIN!

• NEVERMORE YOUR WHIPPING BOY!
  • CXF Writer
  • Gary
FX and Marvel's 'Legion'
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:27:14 AM »

This looks promising. I've been wanting a comic book show that actually does something really, really different. This might be it.

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

• CXF Writer
  • Gary
Re: FX and Marvel's 'Legion'
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »
So yeah, this is the best new show of the year so far. Dan Stevens and Aubrey Plaza in particular are great in this, and it's a wonderful mindfuck to boot.

Come on, I'm not the only one watching this, right?

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:32:23 AM »
I have been recording them but I am a few weeks behind on my TV now.  Good to hear a solid review so far, hopefully I can enjoy a chunk of episodes soon.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline tekcop

• CXF Writer
  • TSM's Finest
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
2 episodes in and I think it has a shot at being the best show of the year. Noah Hawley is making the best stuff on TV right now.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:24:21 PM »
This show is just fucking phenomenal.

KKK Bowl II Champion New York Giants
2005 TSM Fantasy Baseball Champion Pawtucket Red Sox
2006 TSM Fantasy Football Champion Pawtucket Patriots!!!
2011 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion
2012 TSM H2H Fantasy Football Champion

PSN ID: Theschill

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
I binged the show to catch up and love it. The whole cast is fantastic but Aubrey Plaza especially stands out especailly since I only know her from comedies.

• CXF Writer
  • Gary
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:48:48 PM »
I binged the show to catch up and love it. The whole cast is fantastic but Aubrey Plaza especially stands out especailly since I only know her from comedies.
Performance of her career so far. She deserves an Emmy for it.

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
I started catching up on these and didn't post because every post I'd see in here called this amazing and it never really struck a chord with me.  Visually, stylistically it was cool.  Plaza steals every scene she was in but I never really connected much with the show.  My favorite scene, which was probably my favorite episode, was when David was figuring stuff out on the chalkboard.  I really thought maybe it would come around.  I was intrigued by things in the finale but last night when I read this article after, I really thought this summed up my feelings well, which was refreshing because I am used to just seeing the comments in this thread about how great people find it.

http://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/3/29/15113860/legion-finale
[img width=800

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 02:10:21 PM »
I started catching up on these and didn't post because every post I'd see in here called this amazing and it never really struck a chord with me.  Visually, stylistically it was cool.  Plaza steals every scene she was in but I never really connected much with the show.

In the same boat. Just finished up tonight.

Stylistically and visually this show is a 10 out of 10. Nothing else like it on TV. But the way they've made David so powerful, and aren't really super clear on his powers, it feels like there are no rules and anything can happen. So much WTF randomness coming out of nowhere on this show. I don't mind seeing Plaza dance around to "Feeling Good" ...but, why?

It was a fun ride, but I wasn't in love with it. I think it'll be good for the series if they stick with 8-10 episode runs.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 01:48:22 PM »
so they upped the weird on this show like 150%. still really digging it.

Online Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 05:08:10 AM »
Just started Season 2 and this show does horror imagery better than 90% of current horror movies. The people frozen and chattering their teeth was beyond creepy. I sometimes forget this is connected to the Marvel universe with how weird and strange some of the scenes are. I understand the weirdness being too much for some people, but its the hook of the show for me.

Online Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 07:08:27 AM »
All caught up now and Aubrey Plaza is so good on this show. I thought she was snubbed at the Emmy's last year, but her work in episode 5 might even be better than last season. The whole cast is pretty great. Only character I kind of don't care about is Ptonomy who feels like he's just there to give out exposition at times.

Episode 5 might of been the best episode of the show yet for me. That ending was fucked up.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
Ep 5 was my favourite for sure. Agreed about Ptonomy and I have to say I really love the actor who plays the "real" Shadow King this season. They're really great at casting.

Online Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 05:47:29 PM »
Ep 5 was my favourite for sure. Agreed about Ptonomy and I have to say I really love the actor who plays the "real" Shadow King this season. They're really great at casting.

He's great. I remember him as Abu Nazir in the first couple seasons of Homeland.

I'll give some love to Dan Stevens, Jermaine Clement, Rachel Keller, and Bill Irwin as well. Stevens deserves an Enmy nomination alongside Plaza and nails every level of this character, while Clement plays menacing perfectly. Keller has been really good the last few episodes, and Irwin nearly steals every scene he is in.

Online Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »
I could see people hating episode 6, but I found it extremely powerful and touching. Dan Stevens deserves all the emmys.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »
I liked it a lot although a few of the segments missed for me. I can see why people would though as well as why people would hate it. The two best sections for me where the one with over-medicated David, and at the end where she takes him to the hospital. They both hit close to home personally.

Online Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »
Renewed for a third season.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 03:47:25 PM »
really great news as this season has been fantastic

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »
Well that finale was daring as FUCK. There's a serious backlash about

Spoiler: show
 david drugging and having sex with Syd. Everyone seems to forget that Syd used her mom's body to have sex with her mom's boyfriend and he went to prison for it. The only "good" people on this show are Cary and Kerry. I'm also betting on it being revealed at somepoint next season that SK has been doing some heavy manipulation behind the scenes.

The opening part of this ep with the Behind Blue Eyes and animation was fantastic.

Also, imagine if this show hadn't gotten renewed and this was how it ended?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 04:29:05 AM »
Confirmation has come out that Season 3 will wrap the show, as originally intended.
[img width=800

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »
anyone watching season 3? I caught up on the first 4 episodes and they're certainly continuing the pattern of taking each season in a new weird direction but I'm enjoying it. Dan Stevens was kind of overshadowed in the other seasons (although was great) but he's been fantastic.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »
I think I’ve seen the first two so far.  This is always hit or miss for me because sometimes I dig the weirdness and sometimes I feel the weirdness is forced.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 07:28:25 AM »
Bumping this in the event anyone wants to talk about the series finale that aired earlier in the week.

I have it on right now, so no thoughts to post at this time.
[img width=800

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 11:04:16 AM »
this season got too experimental and lost a lot of the charm of what made this show so great. Once Aubrey Plaza's character was done it hurt things a lot. There was still some good stuff but a big downgrade from the previous seasons.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 12:53:52 PM »
I tapped out early into season 2. I wanted to like it more than I did. Same with American gods.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »
I agree with both of your assessments.  I think at times this show tried to get too out there and, to me, it seemed forced many times.

There was a stretch late last season where my interest was really hitting the highest it had been for the series but this season I found myself doing other stuff while the episodes ran in the background.  And this definitely isn't a show that lends itself to that kind of watching.

I had laughed at what I thought was the Jason Mantzoukas cameo a few episodes ago, not expecting him to be featured for the entire episode - especially in the role.  That really felt like something that would be a brief scene and not the whole show.

To me the finale was kinda there.  It wrapped things up pleasantly but I really won't remember much about this season.
[img width=800

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 10:10:40 PM »
the overuse of musical numbers got really bad in season 3. It worked really well once or twice like in the climax of season 2 but it just started to feel silly here. I'd rather they have done more with David losing his mind and the cult leader stuff as well as more with Aubrey Plaza. As usual her stuff was some of the strongest of the season.

Online Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #27 on: Today at 08:21:29 AM »
I'm a massive Twin Peaks/Lynch fanboy so I'm biased, but I feel Lynch is the only one that can do proper weirdness without losing me. I started getting tired of everything in Legion Season 2 despite the acting and visuals being really good. Mr. Robot season 2 lost me for getting excessively gimmicky and forcing the weirdness and the final season of Hannibal was losing me as well. I haven't started season 3 and it doesn't sound like I missed much.