Author Topic: X-men: Dark Phoenix  (Read 1459 times)

Description:

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
X-men: Dark Phoenix
« on: March 05, 2017, 03:07:08 AM »
After a quick search, I see all previous X-men films have their own threads so here is one on the next, working title X-men: Supernova

It has been confirmed that not the real title but ties in with speculation it will be The Dark Phoenix Saga.  Jennifer Lawrence has publicly stated she is out while Nicholas Hoult says he knows nothing but still wants in.

Recent interview, they talked about trying to make the universe "more expansive".  Makes me wonder if they are saying this and doing a galactic themed film if Fox's latest attempt to keep the Fantastic Four franchise will be shoehorning another rebooted team into this movie.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
Re: X-men: Supernova
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 03:12:31 AM »
So no mr sinister?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 03:18:42 AM »
I forgot about that tease at the end of Apocalypse.

Well, maybe he will be and the scent is thrown off.  It's funny because as recent as the fall people were claiming that Sinister was going to be in Wolverine 3 based on that end - when did it come out that Wolverine 3 was Logan because they had to well be into filming by the time that came around.  And some of those stories included Bryan Singer but stated it was likely Old Man Logan but with Sinister's involvement.
[img width=800

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:19:37 AM »
Essex/Sinister was supposed to be a part of Logan but Mangold said they decided not to and are holding off on him for another film.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Re: X-men: Dark Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 03:38:18 AM »
Had originally made this with the original working title of X-men: Supernova.  Back to Dark Phoenix now.

Bumping the thread because there is a leaked trailer surfaced online but it is in Russian.  Apparently Fox just did a presentation in St. Petersburg so there is some likelihood this comes from there, as those who saw it also indicated the footage is shaky like re-recorded from someone's phone.

Now scheduled for February 2019 as it was originally supposed to be out this November.  Seems like they are doing re-shoots now.  There were some recent set photos of Jessica Chastain, with her role still being kept secret.
[img width=800

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 03:45:52 AM »

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
[img width=800

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »
This looks like the same kind of dullness everything after X2 has given us.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 11:48:01 PM »

I thought First Class and Days of Future Past actually worked pretty well. Apocalypse was filled with wasted potential but nothing's bottomed out to X-Men 3 levels yet.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 12:55:39 AM »
DOFP was only slightly better then X3 and Apocalypse. This looks pretty mediocre but maybe they're saving the Shi'ar reveal for the film itself cause otherwise this just looks like 2 hours and change of Jean being conflicted and fucking shit up.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 01:00:11 AM »
Highly disagree, I actually had DOFP as my favorite X-Men film till Logan took that spot last year. Funnily enough I considered the X3 the worst until the first Wolverine film.

Online Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 01:04:06 AM »
I loved first class and DOFP. This just looks dull to me. I’ll see it anyway. But not hyped for it.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 02:32:03 AM »
This looks pretty mediocre but maybe they're saving the Shi'ar reveal for the film itself cause otherwise this just looks like 2 hours and change of Jean being conflicted and fucking shit up.

I have a feeling that it will be what it looks like and I hate it already. This cast deserves better.

DTF

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 03:40:15 AM »
Looks fine to me. That said, I could do without Magneto being in any of these movies ever again. I'm so sick of that character.

Also, based on them going into space in that one shot, hopefully they're following the actual Dark Phoenix storyline more closely.

Online Epic for the Summer

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 07:42:27 AM »
This looks like it could either be really good or really bad. I find that X-Men trailers aren't very telling of the quality of the film. Remember how awesome that first Wolverine trailer was? We were so naive.

I'm shocked they got most of the cast to come back. Some of the bigger names like Lawrence and Fassbender seemed really over the franchise when they were doing press rounds for Apocalypse. Lawrence especially looked like she couldn't wait to distance herself from it.

Will this be the very first film with no Hugh Jackman involvement?

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »
Looks fine to me. That said, I could do without Magneto being in any of these movies ever again. I'm so sick of that character.

Magneto is great in the X-Men movies. He's switches from face to heel to face to ambiguous in all of them.

Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 12:49:29 AM »

Magneto is great in the X-Men movies. He's switches from face to heel to face to ambiguous in all of them.
So he's basically the Randy Orton of this franchise.  ;D

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 02:15:01 AM »
I think Fassbender is great as Magneto in all the movies, but I do agree that he was starting to get stale and tiresome in Apocalypse. I don't even think he was needed in that movie and it looks the same here.

Offline Aero

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 02:41:11 AM »
Pushed back for the second time. Will now be released June 7, 2019.

Probably not the best sign.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 03:40:36 AM »
Yeah, response to the trailer hasn't been good so they're going to need to retool it.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 06:08:33 AM »

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 06:50:41 AM »
Apparently the studio is really worried about the movie as they heavily implied that
Spoiler: show
Jean kills Mystique
in the 2nd trailer and then in Entertainment Weekly, the director confirmed it in the interview despite saying he wanted it to be, "shocking."

Offline Aero

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 10:34:11 AM »
Apparently the studio is really worried about the movie as they heavily implied that
Jean kills Mystique
in the 2nd trailer and then in Entertainment Weekly, the director confirmed it in the interview despite saying he wanted it to be, "shocking."

Having forgot that she was still in this, I immediately groaned when JLaw Mystique shows up to talk Jean down... but maybe this movie won't be so bad if she has an early exit. I'm not going to try and think too hard about how that may or may not make sense within the series timeline.

Decent trailer, anyway.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 10:57:24 AM »
doing the phoenix saga at this point in the xmen franchise doesn't really work for me because there's no real attachment to Jean Grey based on what we have seen from her in basically one movie (Apocalypse) since it's hard to count the older X-Men with other actors. The characters they've developed in the first class (or prequel whatever) timeline to me are Xavier, Magneto, Mystique (better or worse), Logan, Quicksilver, and Beast. Logan isn't in this and ironically has one of the biggest roles in the actually saga. So they have to rely on the others and a lot of chracters who they haven't developed as much and most people don't care a lot about if they only watch the movies.

The trailer itself I don't like because while it looks very nice it gives away a shit ton of big scenes and I think that's the worst thing a trailer can do.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 02:22:45 AM »
Honestly I don't think timelines matter so much in series like this when there has already been a movie to alter the past timeline. Basically they've creating a divergence or branching point where things going on in this timeline are basically in a parallel universe and wouldn't effect the timeline we know from the original movies, First Class and then the then "repaired" original timeline from Days of Future Past (where Jean and everyone else is back alive at the Mansion).

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 03:21:46 AM »

Offline Sabre

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 08:43:20 AM »
Im assuming with DOFP wiping out the cannon of the original Xmen trilogy Jean deals with her Phoenix shit here rather than in Last Stand.

Ill probably skip this in the cinema unless im bored and theres nothing else worth seeing.  Total Dvd flick for me and i haven't watched Apocalypse since I chored through it in the cinema.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »
Will probably be seeing this opening night in the fancy Imax theater with a group because one of my best friends is a fan of Jean Grey going back to the comics. Like almost all of her screen names have some reference to this character. She always springs for the fancy theater for big budget comic movies and we just all kinda tag along.

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 02:38:10 AM »
Damn, this is getting worse reviews than I imagined

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dark_phoenix

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 02:47:34 AM »
Can’t say I’m surprised.  With how far Apocalypse fell from DOFP and how many delays this got, along with the Fox merger, makes sense.  Probably will still be the next thing I go to see but keeping expectations low.  I had seen something on a comic site indicating it’s not awful but it isn’t the “go out with a bang” many will want from the last film in a 19-year old franchise that spans a dozen or so movies (for those that link all of Fox’s X-men films, including Wolverine and Deadpool films, together).
[img width=800

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 02:50:18 AM »
I'm gonna steer clear from this one. I have friends who are uber-Marvel nerds and will check this out no matter what but with how great Endgame was and how Apocalypse wasn't very well received, I think I'm going to take an X-Men sabbatical.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 11:07:25 PM »
Sounds like the lead who plays Jean did a solid job but everything else about the movie is tired or outright bad so I'll be skipping this one unless I'm in the mood for its inevitable FX/TNT/TBS airing.

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 02:48:36 AM »
Opened to 14 million on Friday which tracks it at doing anywhere from 37 to 43 million for the weekend. That is by far the lowest opening for the series and it has a 200 million dollar budget.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2019, 02:10:09 AM »
It wasn't that long ago when X-Men was Marvel's most popular brand.  It is rather stunning to see how far it has fallen these days.  It can't even make as much money as Ant-Man anymore.  I'm already prepared for Dark Phoenix to be outgrossed by the fucking Eternals next year.  That's just sad.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 02:30:07 AM »
Saw this over the weekend after the rewatch of the latest Xmen reboot films (First Class, DOFP, and of course the eyesore that was Apocalypse) and wow....once again the iron strikes the underwhelmingness of a final film in a series. This felt NOTHING like a finale for these characters whatsoever with the exception only being maybe the last scene of the whole film, but even that felt loosely shoehorned in there just so they can say "ok this is it for these folks."

While I appreciated that they expanded upon the Jean Grey Phoenix story for this, wow this just felt rushed and scattered. I think the other part that annoyed me was the lack of coherance and tying into the events of the previous film more. In some ways, it felt like that film was supposed to be forgotten on some level in the storylines but there was directions they were certainly teasing in that one that I figured had to be followed up in this (ie Quicksilver/Magneto connection and the scene after the credits of Apocalypse too as two of many examples).

Ultimately, just like most 3rd parts of trilogies or final films in a franchise, this just did not knock it out of the park, in fact it barely made a single. I was pretty let down at a lack of arcs for the majority of the characters, and in fact it felt terribly forgotten and unfocused in many cases for many characters. They made a mistake not having Vaughn helm this one (he did great with First Class) as it showed having a new director and writer handle this. I'm blown away that this guy totally failed on Fantastic Four for FOX and they still went with him for this one, not just as a writer but director? Talk about setting a film up to fail!

Another sign of the times for this franchise and the state of film in general is that I went to the only 3D showing of this locally yesterday (one time daily and the 3D was NOT worth the upcharge) and I was the only one in the theater. Did not expect that.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 02:53:38 AM »
For those who have seen it, how would you rank this with the other duds in the X-Men series (IE X3 and the first Wolverine flick).

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 03:46:31 AM »
For those who have seen it, how would you rank this with the other duds in the X-Men series (IE X3 and the first Wolverine flick).

I'd have to rewatch it again, but I felt like this was worst than X3, although they did a better job at handling the Jean Grey character in Dark Phoenix than in Last Stand.

Compared to the first Wolverine film though.....hmmm....I'll have to think of that one.

FWIW, after a rewatch of Apocalypse on a binge watch back to back with the other two reboot films....I liked Apocalypse a tad better than before, and ultimately I think I liked it now significantly better than Dark Phoenix.

It felt like there was either a film missing before or after Dark Phoenix for developing and arcing these characters properly.

Particularly, my god did they totally drop the ball with Quicksilver. Won't spoil anything but it was a total disappointment.

Offline Aero

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2019, 03:47:44 AM »
I think I already know the answer, but also for those who have seen it... is Cyclops used decently, at all? Or is he still a glorified background character?

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2019, 04:15:59 AM »
Everyone is a background character except Xavier and Jean.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2019, 06:10:45 AM »
Report I read today saying this wasn’t intended to be on the scale of a summer release and the only reason for the last February to June delay was James Cameron flexing the studio to move Alita from holiday to February.  Others in the studio felt this would look worse being moved to this slot and didn’t want to do it but the studio was trying to appease Cameron.
[img width=800

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2019, 06:18:15 AM »
Honestly I dont think the release date/shift affected the anticipation for this at all. The trailer didn't look real good at all, and the momentum from Apocalypse was probably on a negative slide.

I think the general consensus from all things together is that the studio wasnt interested to put into the effort on this film at all, and if anything it was just a lip service kind of thing to get one more out before the Disney merger. Seemed pretty obvious to me

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
Went to see this tonight.

I had to go to a theatre somewhat out of my way just so I could see it before it was out of theatres, as I think First Class and The Wolverine are the only two X movies I didn't see in theatres.  That being said, I went in with my expectations super low.

This suffers from the same fate as Apocalypse, which wasn't great but I don't think I hated as much as others - again, lowered expectations.  There is a strong cast there but they kinda half-ass material they don't really take the time to understand.  There seem to be some weird choices with some of the characters in this and they really aimed to make people not like Xavier for a stretch and even made multiple characters make him look like a cuck.

I laugh at all the "under wraps" stuff about Jessica Chastain's character because there was nothing to keep under wraps.  Waste of an actress, they could have had anyone play that role and the whole villain presence in this was weak.  I had to look in the credits to see what her character was even called because I don't remember a name being involved.  The name they gave her I remember seeing in the subtitles of one scene.

Not sure if it is good or bad that X-men probably won't enter the MCU for at least another 5 years, as maybe some distance will reinvigorate the franchise to the heights it could be like it had been with the comics/animated series in the 90s.
[img width=800

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2019, 11:50:54 AM »
I swear to god if they reboot this series into the MCU and I have to sit through another 10 movies of Magneto flip flopping his alignment...

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 10:27:41 AM »
I hated basically everything about this and I could probably rant about it for a good 5 minutes or more but it's not worth it. I also thought Sophie Turner was awful and I don't know why she's gotten praise. She had one facial expression the entire movie.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »
I had no idea people were praising her.  I don't think even the more talented cast members churned out a decent or memorable performance.  All going through the motions.  I thought Sophie looked good as a redhead, maybe that's where those people are coming from.
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2019, 06:00:18 AM »
Apocalypse was on TV today and I left it on.  As much rightful criticism as that film gets and things they dropped the ball on, there were still some really fun moments like Quicksilver's arrival at the mansion and the Wolverine cameo.  There is absolutely nothing like that in Dark Phoenix.  Watching this is making my like the latest one even less...
[img width=800