Author Topic: Bellator Fighting Championships: Round 1  (Read 59417 times)

Description:

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
Re: Bellator Fighting Championships
« Reply #700 on: February 20, 2016, 07:43:12 AM »
He had plenty of time to lose the fat it's hard to feel bad for him in that regard.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #701 on: February 20, 2016, 04:52:24 PM »
It does have staying power, but they can't do one of these shows more than once every four months. The other problem is that they have to support the freak show fights with legitimate talent in the other three televised fights and they didn't do that.

Bingo.

Also, Dana signed CM Punk and he had James Toney fight Randy Couture.......he's not above "freakshow fights"

Funniest (ok, one of the funny things) about the show was the crowd booing and turning on Kimbo-Dada and Gracie-Shamrock.  Like, were they expecting to see good fights?

Also, holy shit if Dada almost dying isn't a wakeup call to the Texas AC and promoters I don't know what will be

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #702 on: February 21, 2016, 01:12:43 AM »
Also, Dana signed CM Punk and he had James Toney fight Randy Couture.......he's not above "freakshow fights"

Nobody said he was. I've recently brought up them using Tito/Ken II/III as an example. But Toney/Couture was six years ago, and the CM Punk fight is a one-off. I also said I support Coker trying to make a name for Bellator somehow so I'm not against the freakshow aspect in small doses.

But this card was brutal to sit through, and I think each of these cards can't rely on the same star power (they already said they don't want Ken or Hoyce again). Also, I think the amount of people shitting on this card all over the mainstream hurts their brand in some ways. The ratings will be good but they're not everything as Vincent K. says.

If they're only doing these shows once every few months, that's not too bad. But they should do a better job of putting those Chandler/Thomson fights on cards like Friday's. They've got potential with the light heavyweight division as well. Tito and Rampage are big names and still semi-legit fighters, they can probably mix and match them with McGeary, Davis, Mo and Vassell and really make some well-drawing fights.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #703 on: February 21, 2016, 03:25:26 AM »
Wrestling Classics has Crimson Mask and other calling Royce/Shamrock a work, with Gracie possibly going off script, which is why Ken was so pissed.

Mask also thinks Shamrock/Kimbo was a work, as well as at least one if not both of the Saku/Royce fights.

*Sigh* from the Sunshine State

• KOAB
« Reply #704 on: February 21, 2016, 07:32:36 AM »

Nobody said he was. I've recently brought up them using Tito/Ken II/III as an example. But Toney/Couture was six years ago, and the CM Punk fight is a one-off. I also said I support Coker trying to make a name for Bellator somehow so I'm not against the freakshow aspect in small doses.

But this card was brutal to sit through, and I think each of these cards can't rely on the same star power (they already said they don't want Ken or Hoyce again). Also, I think the amount of people shitting on this card all over the mainstream hurts their brand in some ways. The ratings will be good but they're not everything as Vincent K. says.

If they're only doing these shows once every few months, that's not too bad. But they should do a better job of putting those Chandler/Thomson fights on cards like Friday's. They've got potential with the light heavyweight division as well. Tito and Rampage are big names and still semi-legit fighters, they can probably mix and match them with McGeary, Davis, Mo and Vassell and really make some well-drawing fights.

The problem is that Coker and most of the people running the show think that because more people than usual tuned into this show... they'll stick around to watch a real card now.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #705 on: February 21, 2016, 07:35:24 AM »
Wrestling Classics has Crimson Mask and other calling Royce/Shamrock a work, with Gracie possibly going off script, which is why Ken was so pissed.

Mask also thinks Shamrock/Kimbo was a work, as well as at least one if not both of the Saku/Royce fights.

*Sigh* from the Sunshine State

Those guys are idiots. Takada/Coleman, now that's a work.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #706 on: February 22, 2016, 05:33:56 AM »

This would be a good freakshow fight, because they could match him up with a minor league jobber again and he won't gas out. I'd watch the shit out of Kurt Angle vs Herschel Walker BAH GAWD I JUST MADE THAT UP WHAT A FUCKIN FIGHT

I'd build it up by getting them each to face a couple of jobbers first, and Herschel probably wouldn't mind a tuneup fight before a guy like Angle. Nobody would expect that fight when they would announce it and it would get HUGE buzz. Football legend vs olympic gold medalist, NUMBER ONE TREND WORLDWIDE

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #707 on: February 22, 2016, 05:35:22 AM »
It would need to be done in a state with a shitty commission that would sanction anything and I give Angle a 10% chance to make it through a training camp.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

• Admin
« Reply #708 on: February 22, 2016, 05:36:23 AM »
Any state in the South would apply then.

Kurt Angle vs. Herschel Walker though holy shit I would have never thought of that. Do that on the same show as Kimbo vs. Royce and it would draw 3,000,000 viewers at least.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #709 on: February 22, 2016, 05:39:17 AM »
Kimbo vs Hoyce is like a legit UFC 1 fight. But with Hoyce's K1 striking and gas tank, he probably makes it easier to do what he would have done at UFC 1:

this is the water, I am a shark, he doesn't even know how to swim

The promo vids for that one would fuckin' own.

• Admin
« Reply #710 on: February 22, 2016, 07:33:51 AM »
The exact TV rating for this show hasn't been reported yet, but apparently it was pretty big for Spike TV and MMA on cable. FREAK FIGHTS HERE TO STAY WOOOOOOO

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #711 on: February 22, 2016, 08:03:18 AM »
After the way he performed on Friday they have to be terrifed of putting Kimbo in against literally any other heayvweight. I scoffed at Kimbo/Royce but I can for sure look at Bellator viewing that as a viable option.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #712 on: February 22, 2016, 08:13:34 AM »
Fuck fighter safety! RATINGS!

« Reply #713 on: February 22, 2016, 08:22:18 AM »
Meh. They'll just hold it in Texas.

• KOAB
« Reply #714 on: February 22, 2016, 09:16:06 AM »
The exact TV rating for this show hasn't been reported yet, but apparently it was pretty big for Spike TV and MMA on cable. FREAK FIGHTS HERE TO STAY WOOOOOOO

I think it broke their record for maintaining viewers.

Also speaking of punchy washed up bums who need a fight... Pat Barry is really angling for a shot in Bellator in the freakshow division on Facebook.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #715 on: February 22, 2016, 06:14:35 PM »
Walker vs. Angle (not that it would ever happen) should be on PPV.  They would get so much media hype.  Pair it with some washed up name fighters and, ya know, good relevant fighters and title fights......that's a PPV that could do UFC levels

• Admin
« Reply #716 on: February 23, 2016, 04:15:56 AM »
I'm not sure, because they did do Rampage/King Mo and got 100,000, and they loaded that card as best they could with Brooks vs. Chandler and a Tito fight.

UFC 174 and UFC 177 did barely better with better cards, I don't know.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #717 on: February 23, 2016, 04:25:16 AM »
Yeah I think Bellator needs to stick to the TV model for now, make Viacom happy with the ratings. They shouldn't move to PPV just yet.

Also, change the fuckin' name.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #718 on: February 24, 2016, 01:51:26 AM »
What's wrong with Bellator as a name?

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #719 on: February 24, 2016, 01:59:49 AM »
It just sounds stupid, and most fighters and media types have seemed to shit on it.

So I just think that when so many people think it's stupid, branding is an issue. A lot of people probably go 'wtf is a bellator' when they see it, so it doesn't give the best first impression to potential viewers.

The roman gladiator motif is very dated (bellator means 'warrior' in latin). Even the UFC finally got rid of that stupid intro they had for over ten years with the guy picking up the sand, though like ten years too late. People made fun of it for a long time.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #720 on: February 24, 2016, 02:57:34 AM »
I agree.  I think much like any other sports league, you need some initials.  Even if they just rebranded to something like BFC.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #721 on: February 24, 2016, 03:06:49 AM »
wouldn't people just make fun of BFC too?

I like Bellator as name.  Yes, POVY, I know what it means, that's why I like it.  I know my latin.  Not my fault bunch of idiots dont

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #722 on: February 24, 2016, 03:33:07 AM »
lol I wouldn't say someone is an idiot just because they don't know what Bellator means, and that explanation was more for other people reading. Don't take it personally, bro.

I don't think BFC is the answer. Spike MMA, Viacom MMA, MTV Fighting (Viacom owns MTV right?) whatever the fuck, there are a lot of choices that are better for a pro fighting org than bellator imo. Using a name like Viacom carries a lot of weight, it's one of the biggest cable companies in the world. Doesn't hurt to try and leverage that.

I'm thinking about this solely from the perspective of a business, btw.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #723 on: February 24, 2016, 03:47:34 AM »
ede faecam, idiot.

J/K.  BFC is horrible, but Bellator just doesn't sound great.  I like Mike's suggestions much better.

WSOF sounds much better than Bellator, also, IMO.

Offline MikeofEvil

• Beware of my mongooses!
    • Mike Brooks, Sci-Fi Author
« Reply #724 on: February 28, 2016, 07:58:22 AM »
Using a name like Viacom carries a lot of weight, it's one of the biggest cable companies in the world.

*Looks over the Atlantic*

The fuck is a Viacom?

I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #725 on: March 02, 2016, 05:11:16 AM »
The next phase of the career of MMA legend Wanderlei Silva began today with the announcement that “The Axe Murderer” has signed with Bellator.

The 39-year-old Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 5-7 UFC), the promotion today announced, has signed an exclusive multi-fight, multi-year deal. The signing appeared to be an inevitability after Bellator President Scott Coker said recently that the promotion was having serious talks with the former UFC standout and PRIDE champion about coming out of retirement.

« Reply #726 on: March 02, 2016, 05:16:12 AM »
Won't be able to fight for another year sooooo.....yeah. Whatever.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #727 on: March 04, 2016, 04:54:14 PM »
Shitty card tonight. But Caldwell threw one of the coolest German suplexes on Joe Warren that I've seen in a fight. Miragliotta let Warren take a lengthy nap before stopping that choke. Really bad on his part.

« Reply #728 on: March 05, 2016, 02:45:04 AM »
Caldwell is a goddamn beast. That was one of the nicest suplexes I've seen in a while.

• Admin
« Reply #729 on: March 11, 2016, 07:57:38 AM »
Lirl both Kimbo and Ken tested positive for roids.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #730 on: March 11, 2016, 08:22:24 AM »
Lirl both Kimbo and Ken tested positive for roids.

That's just fantastic.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #731 on: March 11, 2016, 08:32:18 AM »
Everything I've seen hasn't released the drugs they failed on, just that they failed tests.

« Reply #732 on: March 11, 2016, 08:49:23 AM »
Figure with Kimbo it's weed.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #733 on: March 11, 2016, 09:45:18 AM »
Texas has a pretty ridiculously low level for pot. But they also have 90 day suspensions.

« Reply #734 on: March 14, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »
Mitrione just announced on the MMA Hour he's signed a 4 fight deal with Bellator. Guaranteed 6 figures for each one.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #735 on: March 14, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »
I'm glad to see he has enough UFC losses to get paid.

« Reply #736 on: March 14, 2016, 11:21:13 AM »
It doesn't seem that long ago you'd never see fighters openly talking about going to the highest bidder. Times have changed quickly.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #737 on: March 14, 2016, 01:13:41 PM »
I think the sponsor deal soured a lot of the ranked guys on the UFC and that's at least part of the guys leaving.  Might be partly why pay seems to be angling upwards in UFC.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #738 on: March 14, 2016, 01:23:20 PM »

also:

• Admin
« Reply #739 on: March 14, 2016, 06:00:34 PM »
The issue that surpasses even the sponsorships is that a lot of fighters are finding that taking the huge multi fight deals is a double edged sword. It's great for job security and a steady income but really talented fighters feel like taking those deals is a mistake because unless they win a title they may not be doing this for very much money.

Eventually fighters will stop taking those long deals and it will change the market.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #740 on: March 15, 2016, 01:32:42 AM »
Those deals make no sense. Sign an 8 fight deal, lose those first 3 and see what happens.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #741 on: March 18, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #742 on: March 21, 2016, 09:15:50 AM »
Kimbo and Shamrock both popped for Nandrolone and Shamrock failed for methadone too.

• Admin
« Reply #743 on: March 21, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »
Failing for methadone...that's some sad shit right there.

« Reply #744 on: March 22, 2016, 03:29:36 AM »
Makes the NSAC look pretty fuckin' draconian when they fined Nick 100K and wanted five years for weed.

Offline MikeofEvil

• Beware of my mongooses!
    • Mike Brooks, Sci-Fi Author
« Reply #745 on: March 22, 2016, 08:13:35 AM »
Kimbo and Shamrock both popped for Nandrolone and Shamrock failed for methadone too.

...why the everloving FUCK would you fight while on methadone!?

I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on in your existence is never understanding why.

« Reply #746 on: March 22, 2016, 08:30:10 AM »
The positive test means it was in his system, not that he was on it during a fight. Though with how slow he's looked it would explain some things.

• Admin
« Reply #747 on: April 04, 2016, 06:11:12 AM »
Sounds like Wanderlei may fight Kimbo Slice lirl

« Reply #748 on: April 04, 2016, 06:15:33 AM »
Where? Japan?

• Admin
« Reply #749 on: April 04, 2016, 06:17:30 AM »
Yep, sounds like it.