Author Topic: Conor vs. Floyd  (Read 6107 times)

Description:

Offline BigD

• TwistedMind/Intestine
  • New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
Re: Conor vs. Floyd
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2017, 03:41:50 AM »
Well shoot if you are Floyd, why not get paid $100 million for a sparring session?

Not to mention setting the all tome record of 50-0 in the process.

I don't know how much of an authority DC is on the issue, but he has said that boxing payouts are always over reported to make the sport look better. If they say a fighter was payed 100m it was probably more like 40 or 50m etc.

Offline BigD

• TwistedMind/Intestine
  • New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2017, 05:31:42 AM »
I predict a fixed fight that goes 12 rounds with Connor taking 4 or 5 of them and they work the respect angle at the end of it, everyone comig out looking good.

That's what Connor is training for in those sparring videos. It's not avtual sparring it's coreographing. Wake up people!

#flatearth

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2017, 02:00:02 AM »
I predict a fixed fight that goes 12 rounds with Connor taking 4 or 5 of them and they work the respect angle at the end of it, everyone comig out looking good.

That's what Connor is training for in those sparring videos. It's not avtual sparring it's coreographing. Wake up people!

#flatearth

Came in here to ask about something like this. As someone who knows literally nothing about combat sports...what are the odds something like this could be fixed? Why or why not?

I don't see any reason that fixing this fight would be unethical. Why not do it?

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2017, 02:04:15 AM »
I don't see any reason that fixing this fight would be unethical.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2017, 02:05:01 AM »
Fixing any sport that is not publicly known to be predetermined (i.e. wrestling) is a federal crime.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2017, 02:08:25 AM »
The basis for the concern about sports gambling is that games fixed by players, coaches, trainers, or others defeat the ideal that the outcome of a sporting event is left to chance and skill. An important issue in professional and amateur sports is the role that the athletes, coaches, and even sports officials themselves might play in altering the outcome of a game in order to profit from betting on a loss, victory, or point spread. Federal legislation and numerous state laws have addressed the issues of fixing games and point-shaving, especially after the gambling scandals involving athletes in the 1990s. Federal and state legislation guards against bribery in sports contests by providing for fines and/or imprisonment. [3]

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2017, 02:16:44 AM »
The only outcome that won't make people think a fix was in is a Floyd KO. Even if Conor lasts the full 12 people will say that Floyd carried him.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2017, 05:38:04 AM »
People won't be wondering if the fix was in when this is over. That much I am sure of. Even if Conor did well somehow, I'm completely convinced he doesn't have the energy to fight somebody like Floyd for 36 minutes.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2017, 05:41:16 AM »
I don't see any reason that fixing this fight would be unethical. Why not do it?

You think it's ethical for people to pay thousands of dollars to watch something that is presumably legitimate only for the result to be entirely predetermined?

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2017, 05:46:53 AM »

You think it's ethical for people to pay thousands of dollars to watch something that is presumably legitimate only for the result to be entirely predetermined?

Exactly.  It's fraud.

Offline jimmy no nose

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2017, 07:25:46 AM »
Has there been anything reported on how the UFC/McGregor deal was worked out for this fight? From what I can tell this is a straight Mayweather/Showtime production and the UFC isn't involved in any way. Are they taking a cut of McGregor's purse?

• Admin
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2017, 07:48:59 AM »
Theirs comes off the top.

Conor and Floyd are only gonna get paid what's reported if they hit over a certain PPV margin. I think this is going to sell 4 million because the social media buzz is comparable to Manny/Floyd even though I thought that was an obvious result too.

The thing I most dislike about this fight is that Conor is effectively fighting with both arms tied behind his back. His MMA striking is so good because his movement and kicking is totally unpredictable. Against somebody with 142 pro and amateur fights, with kicking removed from the equation, that doesn't apply in any way. Nothing about Conor's movement will bring anything new to the table.

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2017, 08:24:10 AM »
Dey don't box like he boxes.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2017, 01:41:05 AM »
https://www.eventticketscenter.com/conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-jr-las-vegas-08-26-2017/3164937/t

A mere 91,000 for front row. Nose bleeds 2500

Also Conner's sparring partner came out and said Floyd is going to kill him. He then released a tape of him outboxing Conner in training

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2017, 03:12:56 AM »
Can Peter McNeeley get a spot on the undercard?

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2017, 03:17:45 AM »
Can Peter McNeeley get a spot on the undercard?

Here comes the story of the hurricane...

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2017, 03:26:51 AM »
The man Don King paid to lay
...down, but Vinnie V, he,
He had another plaaaaaaaaan

• Admin
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2017, 03:50:01 AM »
These two are taking their freak show to Toronto on Wednesday evening if anyone here's interested.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
PPV is priced at $89.99 for SD and $99.99 for HD.

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2017, 06:01:21 AM »
UFC reached out to ShoSports and got Helwani's credentials for the tour pulled. Wow.

• Admin
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2017, 08:11:09 AM »
He's still on the tour, but he was going to work for Showtime and talk about the business/political aspects of the fight. So they had him fired from Showtime.

By the way Schaub is a total fuckin moron and shouldn't be on this.

• Admin
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2017, 08:26:18 AM »
Paulie is being very gracious in dealing with Schaub even though he keeps yelling at him. It's surprising that he's not calling this guy an outright moron and treating his opinions with respect even though they're completely bogus. Schaub being a representative for this sport presents a really bad picture to everyone with a slightly neutral opinion.

Offline Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »
Schuab smart doe

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 01:35:24 AM »
I'm not sure if Conor is a racist or not but if he isn't he's done a spectacular job of convincing most people that he is.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 02:19:19 AM »
Are most people actually talking about it, or do you just assume they feel that way?

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2017, 02:22:22 AM »
He's Irish. Of course he's racist

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2017, 02:27:17 AM »
Are most people actually talking about it, or do you just assume they feel that way?

Shaun King is all over it, not surprisingly and TMZ has an article about how in today's America you shouldn't be calling a black man "boy" or asking him to dance for you.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2017, 02:42:20 AM »
eh, nobody likes Shaun King anyway. I just looked it up and Floyd Sr. is already trying to play damage control.

I feel like the UFC brand is gonna get hurt by this spectacle, regardless of the outcome. It's not like people are gonna order a Stipe Miocic PPV now.

UFC 214 is stacked with the best main event they can put on. If that doesn't have high numbers, that's a sign that this boxing event stole its thunder or the their brand/promotion of these fights are poor. Either way, not good for the UFC.

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2017, 03:19:54 AM »
Shaun King has over half a million twitter followers and is widely viewed as one of the most visible faces of the BLM movement in the states. If you don't personally like him, fine but people pay attention to what the guy says.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2017, 03:20:51 AM »
Am I the only one that didn't take that comment as a racist remark?

DTF

« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2017, 03:32:35 AM »
It's America in 2017. There is no fucking way that Conor didn't know how that remark would get taken.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2017, 04:21:28 AM »
Shaun King has over half a million twitter followers and is widely viewed as one of the most visible faces of the BLM movement in the states. If you don't personally like him, fine but people pay attention to what the guy says.

I agree with all of that, and I don't personally have a problem with him. I make fun of his gimmick sometimes but he does good work.

But I don't think the people he reaches are the ones whose minds need to be changed. Most people watching won't care, and I don't think the relevant media will really take him to task. They need the coverage from this fight.

• KOAB
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2017, 04:25:44 AM »
eh, nobody likes Shaun King anyway. I just looked it up and Floyd Sr. is already trying to play damage control.

I feel like the UFC brand is gonna get hurt by this spectacle, regardless of the outcome. It's not like people are gonna order a Stipe Miocic PPV now.

UFC 214 is stacked with the best main event they can put on. If that doesn't have high numbers, that's a sign that this boxing event stole its thunder or the their brand/promotion of these fights are poor. Either way, not good for the UFC.

They never were going to before or after this

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2017, 04:42:11 AM »
You're right, but now guys like Shannon Sharpe will look at him like he's Tim Sylvia.

• KOAB
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2017, 04:46:36 AM »
That would be an improvement compared to what he is now

• Admin
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2017, 04:54:47 AM »

I'm going with the latter. They don't actually promote other fighters. They shit on their fighters, then make events with them headlining and disappear from the public eye unless they have more bad things to say about the fighter. They also don't pay them enough.

Promoting this fight the way Dana White is doing is going to destroy his credibility. Unfortunately, he does have a lot of credibility with casual fans. From that perspective it's probably good that the fight is happening.

As a fan of both sports, this spectacle is only going to be good for boxing. Boxing has went through a few bad years over the last decade, but the last two or three have helped to revive the sport. Now this circus is going to put a lot of eyes on some good undercard fighters worth following, as well as Floyd knocking Conor out and completely destroying his reputation. There's also the matter of this coming along at a perfect time for boxing, during a year where there's been a lot of very big fights. Not only that, but the two best boxers in the world are fighting in separate fights on ESPN in August prior to this fight. It's a great window of opportunity for the sport. Boxing usually benefits greatly from bringing a circus to the table. Holmes vs. Cooney is a pretty good example even though that was a much more legitimate fight. I wouldn't say this is what the sport needs, but I think it's going to embolden boxing promoters to push their fighters, even though Joshua/Wlad should have done that for most of them.

If anything, the UFC should really take a lesson from boxing promoters, who never shit on their own promoted fighters and only tear others down in an attempt to get their fighter a fight with those guys. The UFC should be a lot bigger and probably would be if Dana White stuck to promoting fighters. Some of the comments he's made about Mighty Mouse are nothing but incompetency. They have far too much talent under their umbrella to be this way. Dana also probably should not have publicly commented on Jon Jones. That being said, I wouldn't hang that event on Dana White, they've tried to make this fight multiple times and it was cancelled, so it stands to reason less and less people would be interested in it as time goes on. Pacquiao/Floyd is a counter example of sorts, but people want Floyd to lose so badly that it's a different situation. That's why this circus will draw absolutely huge money, almost all of which will go to the fighters, the way it should be.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2017, 10:56:54 AM »
Isn't it Dana's reputation to shit all over a fight and/or fighters, until suddenly there's tons of money to be made off of it?

My only hope is that somehow this fight brings together the holdouts of each fan base and opens them up to embracing the other sport. 
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2017, 11:02:41 AM »
but people want Floyd to lose so badly that it's a different situation. That's why this circus will draw absolutely huge money, almost all of which will go to the fighters, the way it should be.

I'd go even further and say it's not just that they want Floyd to lose, but so many MMA fans have the unrealistic idea that he is going to lose, and lose badly, that is likely driving a lot of this business.  I know Mayweather has come off as an unlikable person at times during his career, but for fuck's sake, people need to at least pretend to know a little bit more about what they are talking about if they are going to come off as brash and unfettered as they have been when it comes to this fight.   I can't point to any boxing media, MMA media (that isn't shamelessly trying to sell the fight) or boxing fans even that think McGregor can win.  It's mostly the same UFC fans that think a lot of other dumb things as well, not it is just extending across combat sports.

It's weird that MMA has been around long enough now that there is an entire generation of MMA (UFC) fans that didn't start their combat sports fandom with boxing.  When I was growing up and UFC first start putting on events it was "this other thing where they do martial arts" but almost everyone I knew that enjoyed MMA also was a huge boxing fan.   It's not that way anymore.

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2017, 01:11:18 AM »
Conor tells Floyd to dance for him = Black Twitter Outrage

Conor mocks Floyd's illiteracy = White Liberal Twitter Outrage

• Admin
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2017, 04:13:05 AM »
After that press conference, McGregor had a quick interview with Jimmy Kimmel's Guillermo in a segment that aired Wednesday night. In that piece, Guillermo asked Mayweather and McGregor the silly question of who would win a fight: them, or Rocky III?

The Irish fighter had to think for a moment as he recalled which movie it was. He then appeared to remember and said, "That was the one [with] the dancing monkeys in the gym."

If you've ever watched "Rocky III" then you know there are no dancing monkeys. In fact, if you've watch any of the Rocky movies you know at no point are there any dancing monkeys. So McGregor's comments caught some people off-guard.

The reason McGregor's comment is troublesome is because the gym Rocky trained in "Rocky III" was a primarily black gym. Rocky was training with Apollo Creed, and worked in Creed's old gym. They even made a point to emphasize the cultural difference compared to where Rocky trained in the first two films.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mma/news/conor-mcgregor-racism-floyd-mayweather-dance-for-me-video-jimmy-kimmel-youtube/9e85duhtjqus1efjs19jlvzjw

I really can't wait to see this guy get destroyed. Not giving him any of my money though.

« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2017, 05:28:06 AM »
C'mon dude donate money to the plight of the brother man.

Seriously though that's hella disappointing for Conor to say. I was kinda willing to look past the "Dance for me boy" idiocy but he's either legit racist or pretending but either way it's not cool.

• KOAB
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2017, 05:41:54 AM »
I don't know why it's surprising for some considering how he's talked about Jose Aldo and Nate Diaz in the past during their pressers.

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2017, 05:53:17 AM »
Eh, I wouldn't put referring to Nate as a crackhead ese on the same level of calling a black person a monkey. Anybody can be a crackhead. Monkey is a slur reserved pretty much for black folks. This is worse.

• KOAB
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2017, 05:55:26 AM »
I wasn't even referring to that one

• Admin
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2017, 05:57:37 AM »
It's somewhat standard to go back to race in boxing promoting so on some level I expected things to go down this route. I can't think of any big black vs. white fights in the last 40 years that did not go down this route. But the fighters rarely ever say shit themselves and their managers/promoters just fuel the fire.

The problem here is that at best we have a constant race baiter doing his thing every time he gets a chance. At worst we have a full blown racist, as these comments and the ones about invading Brazil on horseback and killing anyone not fit to work would indicate. I mean if Don King said some shit like this people would be going crazy.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
Just got into my first Facebook argument over this with some clown.  His reasoning is that Floyd is old and brittle and eating cheeseburgers and soda.  I basically aped what 909 said earlier I'm the thread and was even backed up by people who know I've fought and coach.  There's really nothing you can say that will change these morons minds, though.

• KOAB
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
They will be the first retards to go "Well what was supposed to happen? Conor isn't a boxer this proves nothing." level of comments after the fight is over.

• Admin
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:51 AM »
Yeah, they're hopeless. Just look at what happened when Conor and Nate fought, and look how slow Nate was. There are many other aspects of this circus that haven't been talked about. Like Conor's stance being completely unpractical. He would be hit in the body relentlessly. But nobody seems to care about facts or any technical analysis.

There is a massive difference between being a hard puncher and a great boxer. I would like to present this:

Adapting his MMA skillset for the boxing ring, McGregor is tasked with taking on the world’s greatest pound-for-pound boxer, Mayweather, without the majority of his combat arsenal. However, despite the elimination of knees, elbows, kicks, and grappling from the bout (it will be contested purely under boxing rules), McGregor is still finding a way to tweak his game to include various disciplines found in mixed martial arts.

“I can take a capoeira attack, I can take a taekwondo attack, I can take a karate stance, I can take a boxing stance, I can take a Thai boxing stance, I can take a Greco-Roman, freestyle wrestling stance,” explained McGregor. “I can stand and fight in many, many ways. And I will fight in all of them.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/how-mcgregor-intends-to-implement-mixed-styles-into_us_59658890e4b0deab7c646cb6

This is straight delusional. He also has not sought out a real trainer.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2017, 12:00:05 PM »
Ok Connor kind of went off the rails just now.....it was short, but *not* sweet.

• KOAB
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2017, 04:05:48 AM »
People seem to still be falling for this circus routine even though they're all sharing a plane together during this bullshit tour.