Author Topic: MMA General Discussion 2019  (Read 22210 times)

Description:

Offline Lord of The Curry

Re: MMA General Discussion 2017
« Reply #550 on: June 22, 2018, 12:49:35 AM »
Black people get fucked over and it's caught on video and nothing is done about it in the real world so it shouldn't surprise me that nothing happened in a cage fight.

« Reply #551 on: June 22, 2018, 12:50:54 AM »
Edit: Wrong thread.

« Reply #552 on: June 25, 2018, 12:50:06 AM »
Anybody watch the Singapore card?

- The main event at the same time cemented the door closing on Donald Cerrone ever contending at any weight class while also showing that he's not done yet and still has fun fights left in him. Conversely, it definitely slows whatever hype (if any) was behind Leon Edwards. That's a fight he let slip away from him in the later rounds, his cardio and mental focus definitely need work.

- I'm glad Tyson Pedro lost although for 205 overall it sucks that a prospect went down. One of my biggest pet peeves in the entire fucking sport is when guys have their opponent almost put away and choose to engage in needless grappling. Pedro pulled this shit with OSP hurt and got his takedown reversed and seconds later was tapping.

- Petr Yan is the new hot shit at 135. Get him on the Moscow card.

- Song Yadong looked great and even though the dude has been around putting away Felipe Arantes like that was impressive. He's working with Alpha Male now so he's got a great ceiling, would like to see him get some better exposure on PPV undercards going forward because as far as Asian prospects go he's one of the few they have.

« Reply #553 on: June 27, 2018, 05:23:18 AM »
Johny Hendricks just announced his retirement on MMA Junkie Radio. Well done, USADA.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #554 on: June 27, 2018, 08:17:58 AM »
I scored Hendricks/GSP a draw, the first Lawler fight for Lawler and the 2nd for Hendricks.  Such a crazy run of fights and MMA news.  Would have like to have seen the Woodley fight.

« Reply #555 on: June 27, 2018, 08:22:53 AM »
He probably had one of the hardest roads of any contender at any weight class in recent memory. Pierce, Fitch, Koscheck, Kampmann and Condit all to have that controversial fight with GSP and then win the belt back is a great moment for him.

Then again, he was almost certainly juiced to fuck during that run. The minute USADA came in he fell off a cliff.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #556 on: June 27, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »
I scored Hendricks/GSP a draw, the first Lawler fight for Lawler and the 2nd for Hendricks.  Such a crazy run of fights and MMA news.  Would have like to have seen the Woodley fight.

I also flipped the judges scores from both Hendricks/Lawler fights. He was so fun to watch for a while.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #557 on: June 27, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
Hendricks wasn't on anything more than anyone else was on. Everyone was on steroids including the guys who beat him. His run was super fun and I don't think he'd admit to being juiced up, but I think almost everyone can agree that the sport was better when everyone was a juicy juice boy.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The King of Trash

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #558 on: June 27, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »
how did Johny's retirement get play over Rashad's man

Deciding to retire was the toughest decision of my life because everything in me told me I need to keep fighting. I've fought my whole life in some form since I could remember so saying goodbye to my long time companion is hard. Fighting to me has never been about the actual fight itself. It was that in between space that exists in the fight where the "I" completely dissolves & I transform into something else. In that space the fear, doubt, negativity & life worries could never follow me. Shedding these worldly feelings to just be in the space of pure expression is something I will miss very much. Riding the emotional rollercoaster that a big fight brings is the most amazing feeling in the world and going through those experiences have made me grow into a strong man that I'm thankful for. I want to thank all my fans out there who have supported me during this journey. You fans have inspired me so much throughout the years. Many times when I couldn't find the motivation to push myself I thought about you guys. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for pushing me in every way to be the person I am today. Even the "haters" deserve a thank you because you guys provided a deep well a motivation to draw from. Thank you to the UFC for giving me the platform to live my dream. Thank you to Dana White who is one of the most caring ppl I know, even though he hides it very well with his tough exterior. Thank you to Lorenzo Fertitta who bought me my first nice suits & who always made sure he let me know he valued me as person rather than just a fighter. Thank you to all my coaches throughout the years. Thank you to Mike Vanarsdale and Joaquin Rodriguez who were two of my favorite coaches they brought out the best competitor in me. Thank you to Mike Winkeljohn who had the ability to know exactly what standup technique was gonna end the fight. Winks was like a psychic sometimes with his pre fight prophecies. Lol. Thank you Henri Hooft, Greg Jackson, Chris Lutrell, Mario Sperry, Greg Jones, Kami Barzani, Ricardo Almeida, Renzo Gracie, Rolles Gracie, Jon Chaimberg, Rodney Brewer, Tony Villani, Andrew Spruill, Roan "Jucao" Carneiro & my man Mark Henry. Excited for what’s next!

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #559 on: June 27, 2018, 03:56:44 PM »
It’s probably an Yves Edwards situation. Something I’ve heard him say where it’s frustrating when you’re an older fighter and you’ve learned so much about the sport, it’s about that time where your body, reflexes, and chin just aren’t what they used to be. And even though you know what it takes to win, you just can’t.

The last few years have been tough to watch, but I’ve always been a Rashad fan.

« Reply #560 on: June 28, 2018, 12:22:27 AM »
Rashad is probably one of the better examples of somebody who, from an athletic perspective possessed all of the tools to be complete in mma but did not have a fighters heart or mindset. The Sean Salmon and Chuck Liddell knockouts did a great job of pulling the wool over the fans eyes and convinced them that this was somebody who was an exciting guy to watch when in reality the majority of his career fights were average to horrendously boring. The analogy of "Owns a Ferrari, won't drive it above 25 mph" was a fantastic way to describe Rashad as a fighter.

This is in now way throwing shade towards his wins and accomplishments in the sport. One of the true gentleman out there.

« Reply #561 on: June 28, 2018, 05:28:09 AM »

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #562 on: June 28, 2018, 07:22:59 AM »
RIZIN babay

« Reply #563 on: June 28, 2018, 08:34:13 AM »
Vitor vs Cro-Cop. Bah gawd it could happen.

« Reply #564 on: June 29, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/6/29/17519328/attorney-nlrb-plans-to-file-complaint-against-ufc-in-leslie-smith-case

This could turn out to be a very, very big deal. UFC fucked up cutting Smith and now they've got a federal labour board looking into their shit.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #565 on: July 02, 2018, 03:43:41 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/23974326/former-ufc-stars-chuck-liddell-tito-ortiz-agree-third-mma-fight

This was already kind of announced...but it's making the rounds today again. Date TBA.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #566 on: July 03, 2018, 07:48:11 AM »
Rashad is probably one of the better examples of somebody who, from an athletic perspective possessed all of the tools to be complete in mma but did not have a fighters heart or mindset. The Sean Salmon and Chuck Liddell knockouts did a great job of pulling the wool over the fans eyes and convinced them that this was somebody who was an exciting guy to watch when in reality the majority of his career fights were average to horrendously boring. The analogy of "Owns a Ferrari, won't drive it above 25 mph" was a fantastic way to describe Rashad as a fighter.

This is in now way throwing shade towards his wins and accomplishments in the sport. One of the true gentleman out there.

As a Rashad fan this feels pretty accurate. It was hard to watch him in the end because unless I'm just going thru my own revisionist history about him... he always seemed like a guy with a bad chin but great recovery ability. I'm remembering way too many fights during his prime where he gets stunned/staggered noticeably. You combine this with the fact that it seemed like he had no top control most of the time when he would finally get people down and they would usually pop back up within ten or fifteen seconds it's kinda surprising that he won a lot of those fights.

« Reply #567 on: July 03, 2018, 09:04:59 AM »
Early in his career he was so inept in grappling that he would take guys down and land in side control and he'd immediately navigate back to guard because he had no clue what the fuck he was doing.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #568 on: July 05, 2018, 12:33:11 AM »
He did beat the fuck out of Forrest, though.

DTF

« Reply #569 on: July 07, 2018, 04:03:04 AM »
So the TUF Finale last night went almost 4 hours for the main card. Thank fucking god I watched the Fight Pass replay and was able to fast forward through most of the bullshit. Stylebender looked great in the main event but it was a tempered performance compared to how he's wrecked guys in the past but Tavares is no joke, super impressive that in his 3rd UFC fight Israel dominated a top ten opponent like it was nothing. Both of the TUF winners looked horrible and both fights sucked, they need to put that show out to pasture and should have done so years ago.

« Reply #570 on: July 13, 2018, 12:45:44 AM »
So, Brendan Schaub outed Dana for fucking Ronda. How 'bout that.

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #571 on: July 13, 2018, 02:32:04 AM »
Ewww.

• KOAB
« Reply #572 on: July 13, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »
Mama White p. much exposed that kinda stuff years ago in an interview saying he's gonna find a way to get any attractive woman he employs in bed eventually.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #573 on: July 16, 2018, 11:38:46 PM »

Today I was invited to the World Cup final as a guest of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
This man is one of the greatest leaders of our time and I was honored to attend such a landmark event alongside him.
Today was an honor for me Mr. Putin. Thank you and congratulations on an amazing World Cup.

« Reply #574 on: July 17, 2018, 12:27:38 AM »
Also the photo he posted on Instagram chilling in the studio with Migos....look in that dudes eyes and tell me he's ever going to fight again. Man was rollin' deeeeeeeeeep.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #575 on: July 17, 2018, 01:36:00 AM »
honestly this stuff just really makes me wonder about the Trump/Putin/MMA link.

« Reply #576 on: July 19, 2018, 12:29:18 AM »
Chris Leben is coming out of retirement to face Phil Baroni in a bare knuckle boxing match.

No, I am not high.

« Reply #577 on: July 19, 2018, 04:55:54 AM »

I recently stumbled across the music that's featured in this trailer and it reminded me of how incredible this was to see for the first time. I will argue until something better comes along that this is the finest piece of work that the UFC has ever put together to hype a fight. Legitimately breathtaking.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #578 on: July 19, 2018, 08:08:16 AM »
Agreed.  Such an incredible piece and then the size of the story that Ronda's downfall became.  Its wild to remember.  If Holly had waited for it, I think Ronda could've taken that rematch.  Nunes wouldv'e gotten to her soon after.

« Reply #579 on: July 19, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »
I love how they have bootleg Herb Dean facing them off at the end too.

Offline Youth N Asia

• STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #580 on: July 21, 2018, 04:48:26 PM »
I keep forgetting that the Shogun card is Sunday afternoon.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #581 on: July 22, 2018, 04:43:22 AM »
I was trying to find out why a guy who recently lost to Chris Camozzi was billed ahead of Struve/Tybura, but then this dude he's fighting has over 1 million followers.

https://www.instagram.com/abuazaitar/?hl=en

I don't know who he is, but an MMA fighter making their UFC debut and having that much of a social media following is unheard of.

• KOAB
« Reply #582 on: July 22, 2018, 07:37:37 AM »
He's kind of like a Moroccan athletic icon already... I don't know how but I know the Azaitar brothers are a big deal over in that region of the world.

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #583 on: July 22, 2018, 08:03:06 AM »
RIP SHOGUN

• Admin
« Reply #584 on: July 22, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »

Lmao wrecked.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

« Reply #585 on: July 23, 2018, 12:46:26 AM »
I'm kinda glad my Fight Pass stream kept crapping out and I forced myself to look at the spoilers. 7 hours for an mma event is insane, I really hope that ESPN forces the UFC to reevaluate their pacing and structuring of cards.

« Reply #586 on: July 23, 2018, 03:36:28 AM »
Also are we really talking about Anthony Smith as a contender? Is this how far LHW has fallen? He's had 43 fights and has been in the game for a decade and lost to C-level competition and because he blows through two guys who've chins were cracked a long time ago he's making noise? Come the fuuuuuuuck on.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #587 on: July 23, 2018, 04:08:05 AM »
All of his recent wins are over big "names" when you include the Lombard TKO as well.  Now, he has to be put into contender fights at this point simply because of beating Shogun and his bloated "ranking".

Latifi/OSP/Overtime matchups will bring him back down to Earth.

« Reply #588 on: July 23, 2018, 04:23:29 AM »
If knocking out somebody who's taken 3 lifetimes worth of damage is impressive then just cancel the 205 division already.

The fucked up part is that the division is so worthless he could conceivably find himself in a #1 contender fight next against Latifi, OSP or Volkan. I think the UFC keeps Gustaffson away from a title eliminator because of the way DC sat him down, they'll wait until the belt becomes vacant.

« Reply #589 on: July 26, 2018, 01:19:14 AM »

Conor deleted this tweet a few mins after it was taken up, Khabib is in Calgary this weekend for a Q and A. Let the speculation run wild.

In other news he's paying a fine and doing anger management therapy for the UFC 223 incident in Brooklyn, he's also to abide by a peace bond and is required to stay away from Ray Borg and Michael Chiesa until July of 2020. Case is closed now and I imagine he's free to compete.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #590 on: July 26, 2018, 04:55:35 AM »
Would be awesome if they announced the fight here.

« Reply #591 on: July 26, 2018, 05:08:02 AM »
Speaking of Calgary nothing horrible has happened to Saturday's card yet which can only mean that the MMA Gods are gearing up for a triple-dropout the day of the fights.

Online AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #592 on: July 26, 2018, 05:51:50 AM »
This free card is better than any PPV they have put on all year, possibly longer.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #593 on: July 26, 2018, 06:00:41 AM »
And as best I can tell there are still tons of tickets, to the point they dropped prices (right after I bought mine of course). Not sure if people were gun-shy about the card remaining intact, the ticket prices, or both.

« Reply #594 on: July 26, 2018, 07:06:07 AM »
Still expensive as fuck it seems. Floor seats are going from around $160-350 but yeah the place definitely isn't sold out.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #595 on: July 26, 2018, 07:26:42 AM »
Calgary got hit hard by the oil crash. It’s recovering but it’s not like it was before. Plus Stampede was last week. People only have so much money.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #596 on: July 26, 2018, 07:39:41 AM »
Really hoping I keep my row to myself but I imagine people with worse tickets will vulture them. Regardless, not often you get to see three former world champions so should be a great card.

« Reply #597 on: July 26, 2018, 11:12:05 AM »
Fucking mma burnout. There should have been a thread made about this card weeks ago and in a just world it would be at 2 pages minimum already.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #598 on: July 28, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
this is like one of those trtsm super facts now, where kreese spills some insider wrestling knowledge that only we know. RIP UFC Kreese facts

• Admin
« Reply #599 on: July 28, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
The way bums/projects try to call out DC and he just calmly buries the fuck out of them makes me laugh every single time.