Author Topic: UFC 216  (Read 1651 times)

Description:

Offline Lord of The Curry

Re: UFC 216
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2017, 03:59:07 AM »
Well the exisiting UFC model for it is. They don't have the starpower at the moment to justify doing one, sometimes two a month.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2017, 04:04:46 AM »
PPV is entirely reliant on casual fans who saw Conor get beaten into brain trauma after one of the biggest hype jobs ever. So yeah. The TV ratings are down just as bad or worse. I believe these prelims were the 30th rated program on TV.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The King of Trash

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2017, 04:08:04 AM »
Well the exisiting UFC model for it is. They don't have the starpower at the moment to justify doing one, sometimes two a month.

I agree with that completely. It will be interesting to see where they go from here.

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2017, 05:27:48 AM »
Less pay per views, more Fight Pass events. That's how I could see things going.

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2017, 05:40:21 AM »
Less pay per views, more Fight Pass events. That's how I could see things going.

Yeah. Once fightpass feels like a must have I'll purchase it. I don't really go back into the library often to watch old stuff. If more and more live events end up there I'll end up getting it.

« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2017, 05:44:18 AM »
Maybe I'm just a huge nerd but I tend to go back and watch old events fairly often. I miss the Hard Rock/Pearl at The Palms days. Plus in terms of current product the Cage Warriors shows are must-watch almost every time.

I think also in Canada we get a better deal in terms of when shows get put up for viewing, more often then not the Fox/Fight Night cards are up within 24 hours of airing and FP exclusive cards within a few hours.

Offline Gert

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2017, 02:11:51 PM »
Last year I was thinking that a good model would be for between 28-30 events:

12 PPV's (I just don't think they would go lower)
4 FOX/Network TV channel
10 FS1/FS2/FX Events
4 UFC Fight Pass

I was personally opposed to them going to over 40 shows, but I understood from a short term business perspective, but as a consumer myself, I feel like I want at least two to three main PPV card fights to justify paying 55-65 dollars.

I think LOTC brings up a great point, if they are not that beholden to cable companies, overpay a few of the stars that have PPV points and do a few major cards a year on Fight Pass.

I still have my FP subscription, but I find myself watching less archived cards and only for FP prelims and live events.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/9/27/16376552/canelo-alvarez-vs-ggg-gennady-golovkin-ppv-buys-boxing-report-news

Nah, this Conor/Jones shit just merked the UFC's brand.

PPV is entirely reliant on casual fans who saw Conor get beaten into brain trauma after one of the biggest hype jobs ever. So yeah. The TV ratings are down just as bad or worse. I believe these prelims were the 30th rated program on TV.

I feel like there's many things at play here that would be obvious. Losing Jones to me is worse than what happened to Conor in the long run. We just witnessed Jones come back and end his #1 rival in the most devastating fashion possible only for him to lose a title for the I think third time again for the same dumbass reason. UFC is now left with a Cormier who is starting to sound like those extra shots Jones gave him in their second fight in brutal fashion are now effecting him as on this card he does something on commentary he never did before... he has weird tics and stutters in his speech. UFC is probably banking on him being a minor draw but I would be expecting whoever faces him in his next fight will knock him out and he'll retire and go all in as an analyst or coach.

Divisions below 170 don't draw outside of the occasional right place right time character of Conor, Ronda, and to a lesser extent, BJ. Their most active champion right now in a division that typically draws well is shitted on in every title defense so far because he's marketed as this Big KO Nig, but Woodley isn't delivering any of that depending on his matchups. UFC tried to make this into a real sport and then they shit on someone who fights like it's an actual real sport and fans go along with it pretty easily. Which reminds me there was someone considered the GOAT of this division who for most of his second reign with the title was the human equivalent of extra strength Nyquil but he had the look and if you weren't paying attention he sounded like a second rate Jean-Claude Van Damme and back when Dana White would even shit on him unfairly like he does Woodley... there were still guys that were easy to get into for fans there.

Speaking of GSP... the way he looks now it's going to be sad to see him fight a guy who is holding onto his title like he knows the next fight he has he's losing it in Bisping and GSP will probably lose that fight. The fact that'll probably happen while UFC begins to market Bisping as the new true GOAT for being the only man to beat GSP & Anderson will be pathetic because Bisping is pretty much unofficially retired right now and probably would shortly after the GSP fight... but when he gets that kind of push he'll probably stick around for another year soaking it up before making his retirement official. The fact that UFC is relying on this fight as it's last true draw is laughable to me but very fitting after so many years of mismanagement.

All that's left is the hardcores and when I see how people are feeling about thing as shitty to the fighters as the sweet sweet Reebok contract and then look at the NCAA Basketball scandal where the same companies happen to be paying players up to 4 to 5 times more for guys who have a strong chance at ending up being busts instead of the next big star at their position... when they're making that much more than the supposed legends and long time champs of the UFC... I see a lot of people simply being turned off by this whole thing.

But the main factor to tie this up together and it's happening with nearly every other form of entertainment, sports league, etc. is the fact most people just don't have that kind of money to spend on these things like they used to. When you have that being the huge factor on top of the stars they got to know fading away, many of the UFC "legends" hardcore fans told them were great who shouldn't be out there anymore and are sad boring shells of themselves... and toss in how toxic the mouthpiece of the company has always been it's damn easy to see why it's falling down this rapidly.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »
I forgot to talk about Heavyweight.

It's a shitshow.

Many people don't even realize there's someone as champion right now who will probably break the dreaded UFC HW Title defense record of a measly 2 and can probably become the top Heavyweight ever. For some reason he never tries to bring up how great he is and will go down as... whenever I hear from him now he's trying to hype up a boxing match no one wants to see with a guy who will decimate him with ease. Maybe if he focused all his energy in getting out there and building himself into something in his own sport... people might fall for another freakshow like that again down the line. If he actually took the time to build his worth up in his own sport.

But even I can't blame him for taking this route because the UFC has tried to fuck him over ever for quite sometime in the dumbest fashion possible.

Reap what you sow.