Author Topic: ROH: Not Just a NJPW Brand Extension  (Read 6219 times)

Description:

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
Re: ROH: Not Just a NJPW Brand Extension
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2018, 11:46:18 AM »
I don't see how being told he can't use a name that his father used independently of WWE for decades is anything but screwing him over. Similarly, I don't understand why he didn't just use Runnels.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2018, 11:50:32 AM »
Just like the others, Dusty's name and the Rhodes name became WWE property when certain contracts were signed.  Cody himself said he probably could use the name if he asked.  Regardless, Cody Rhodes is a name owned by WWE where he started his wrestling career and right or wrong, everyone else that ever walked through would have an argument to try to use whatever name/gimmick they had in WWE anyway.

I just always appreciated Impact's workaround of giving Brandi the Rhodes last name so they could say Cody & Brandi Rhodes
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
It wasn't screwing him over as I'm not sure it damaged him in any way at all. I don't think they were trying to screw him either. In fact I think it helped him gain more notoriety.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »
Legally you must defend all your trademarks or risk losing it. It also doesn't matter that Dusty used the name for decades outside of WWE. He and every other worker that goes to WWE knows the deal and is compensated for it.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »
It wasn't screwing him over as I'm not sure it damaged him in any way at all. I don't think they were trying to screw him either. In fact I think it helped him gain more notoriety.

I should kind of rephrase that, the fans thought he was screwed over. He could have done much more in WWE, but he hit their ceiling. They could have done more with his dashing character. There was a fantastic article about him a couple weeks ago, and he mentioned bringing a bunch of ideas to creative meetings, and they basically scoffed at all of them because they didn't see anything else in him.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• Laz
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2018, 05:43:55 AM »
I gotta say that I finally saw something from Cody I enjoyed in this week's episode. His promo on Kenny Omega started off a little too cute, too "business exposing" by talking strictly match quality, but then it turned into a classic heel promo. Stunted and derivative, sure, but Cody's delivery has never been anything but on point.

In particular, I loved his comparison of Omega to "that underground band you claim to love but can't name a single song by," and when he retorted about Kenny calling him a WWE reject by emphasizing how Omega was rejected from "the developmental league." It had the crowd gasping.

Then Kenny comes out and I really, really fucking wish he did anything in the ring I found interesting. He has such a natural charisma to him and how he talks, reminiscent of when Rob Van Dam was cutting some really underrated promos in 1997-1998.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2018, 05:54:15 AM »
I love what ROH does with their house shows. They don't just put the same matches on during a loop like WWE does. I understand there's logistical things that prevent WWE from doing that, but it's still really fun to watch.

I'm going to the ROH Dallas show father's day weekend. It's going to be awesome. Atlantis will be there and Hurricane Helms.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2018, 06:12:40 AM »
Will Dadaramu accompany you and cheer for Silas Young and Beer City Bruiser?

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2018, 07:10:12 AM »
Hell no. Dadaramu doesn't watch wrestling.

I however will be cheering for Silas. I love that dude's character.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2018, 05:42:45 AM »
ROH TV has been on point in this current run of shows from Chicago. Last weeks of Aries vs Silas was absolutely great, as was even the women's match before it. The week before as well was a really solid hour of wrestling.

I had just watched this coming weekend's ROH TV waaaay early as well since it airs very early in the week on the regional sports network NESN out of New England/Boston area. Once again a very strong episode. Opened with Flip/Gresham, then a quality street fight type bout with Purazzo and Klein, and a solid as fuck main of Briscoes vs Roppongi 3K.

Next taping sounded on paper pretty good too, the one they taped this past weekend in NYC at Hammerstein.

I'm not sure how they can get away with airing a weekend show already on a Tuesday but I'm all for it. Hope it keeps up. It airs Tuesdays or Weds on NESN.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2018, 06:56:26 AM »
Somehow, ROH is coming to MSG next year. That's gonna be a lot of seats to black out!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • John Vernon as The Mayor
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2018, 07:02:23 AM »
Time for the return of Pelle Primeau to save the company.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »
I'll believe it when tickets go on sale.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2018, 11:06:50 AM »
they're going to have to bring in so many njpw guys and other talent. it's going to cost them an arm and a leg. Maybe losing exclusivity is a good thing for WWE because all these companies being name marks is going to end up costing them a lot of money for not really any gain.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • John Vernon as The Mayor
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2018, 11:11:41 AM »
Now you got me wanting All In 2: Double Penetration at MSG next year.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »
The only reason WWE runs it as little as it does anymore is because MSG is ridiculously expensive to book.  No way another company can run MSG without losing their ass.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2018, 04:59:24 AM »
They'll just end up playing the Theater at MSG instead. Bait and switch!

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2018, 04:32:41 PM »
My son and I went and saw me ROH Dallas tonight. It was a really fun show and the interactivity was great as usual.

Punishment Martinez won the TV title. That was pretty awesome. I was wearing a Punishment shirt too. He saw me on his way up the aisle and gave me a peace sign. I was in the second row by the ramp.

Also we waited outside after. I stood with my son. There were about 5 other people waiting. No joke they were all about 350 lbs+ and had autograph books.
As the wrestlers left they'd see them getting ready to mob them and then they'd see my son and I patiently waiting off to the side. Every one of them made a beeline for my son and ignored the fat guys. He got a lot of high fives and "hey buddy!  Did you enjoy the show?"

The Briscoes and Cody were the coolest to him and seemed the most interested in making sure he had fun. Mark Briscoe in particular seemed to want nothing to do with anyone but him.

If they walked away from us and the autograph book was still in their face they'd oblige but they didn't hang around to chat with those guys.

I just wanted to meet Punishment and I did. He was super chill and talked to my son about karate (my son started karate about a month ago).

Chris Bosh of pwg fame was there as a fan too. Apparently he lives in Dallas now. He stopped and talked to the Bucks and SCU. Then they started planning a BTE skit with Bosh and then they went into the parking lot and filmed it. I couldn't believe I got to see the entire process.

Also none of the BTE guys ride together. The Bucks were with SCU. Cody and Brandi were with each other. Marty rode with Jonathan Gresham and Hangman was riding with Flip Gordon. Of course all those guys left out of a different exit and went to a different parking lot that was further down. So maybe they were all heading to the same car.

Martinez was riding with the CMLL guys who all came out without masks except Atlantis who had a black ski mask on.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2018, 04:41:37 AM »
MSG deal fell through. WWE got their wish.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2018, 07:24:56 AM »
MSG deal fell through. WWE got their wish.

My guess is they move on to another similarly bigger venue then like Prudential Center Mania week. It's a shame as I would have liked to see ROH at least try to get a big crowd in MSG, but they could accomplish the same task going to Prudential. Time will tell.

I wonder if Vince has to go in on at least one show at MSG Mania week to get this deal blocked? Hall of Fame perhaps?

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2018, 07:28:53 AM »
My story was no sold. Damn you all!

• Admin
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2018, 07:31:35 AM »
I read it man, didn't no sell it. Just don't know how to respond to long stories which is why I figure my movie reviews don't always get responses.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »
I do not respond to posts where Punishment Martinez has won gold.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2018, 07:53:00 AM »
I read it man, didn't no sell it. Just don't know how to respond to long stories which is why I figure my movie reviews don't always get responses.

I just thought it was cool how awesome most of these guys were with my son. It makes me happy to see the memories he's making.

Hanging outside the arena waiting for wrestlers with him was pretty awesome.

• Admin
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »

I just thought it was cool how awesome most of these guys were with my son. It makes me happy to see the memories he's making.

Hanging outside the arena waiting for wrestlers with him was pretty awesome.

I ran into Coach at a gas station after a Raw I went to. Obviously he was using his own car, and he was with his kids. Those guys hate hate hate hate hate talking to people our age, so I didn't say anything to him. I also suspect that people like him, Cole, and Big Cass rarely have good interactions with fans, and therefore that means they are guarded and hostile most of the time. So nope, didn't say a word.

I think they can only tolerate the famous aspects of their job for the kids that are fans. Obviously the paychecks don't hurt either.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2018, 08:17:54 AM »
I made sure to compliment every single person's match and I told them I was highly entertained. Every one of them seemed genuinely appreciative.

Rocky Romero was the same way the two times I talked to him (and took shots with....) WM weekend.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2018, 01:46:55 AM »
Austin Aries who is again the champion of Impact was confirmed for Best in the World this morning.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2018, 05:17:37 AM »
Austin Aries who is again the champion of Impact was confirmed for Best in the World this morning.

That should be a pretty awesome match with Kenny King hopefully. They've been building that one for awhile.

The ppv on Friday seems pretty decent on paper, but it's kind of odd that New Japan essentially will have a show in Florida that will run head to head with this from their counterpart, New Japan. Technically its a Kenny Omega show I think, but still kinda wonky that all of the NJ talent will be more at the Omega show than the ROH one. Much less than its head to head against each other.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2018, 10:26:02 AM »
I just ordered Best in the World on the FITE app for $34.99. If they would get their shit together and get a Roku app for the Honor Club I'd pay $119 and watch every PPV throughout the year.

I assume I'm the only one watching tonight via legal or illegal means?

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »
Show hasn't actually been good at all so far. However King vs Aries was pretty damn good so maybe that's going to turn it around.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2018, 01:49:36 PM »
2 for 2 as a turning point. Lethal vs Kushida was great.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2018, 05:01:08 AM »
I ended up watching the show last night through the Honor Club on my laptop just hooked in HDMI thru it to my TV n worked great just like NJPW World does that way. I'm already subscribed to Honor Club so was able to get the live stream for 17 bucks on there. They wanted 45.99 on DirecTV so that was a no-brainer for me

I thought the show was pretty good but it wasn't like a blow away type thing but the last half of that show was pretty darn good up from Aries and Kenny King on.... that was pretty solid work although I question what they're doing with the world title. I think they should put it on Scrull to be honest. He held that match together last night and was clearly the most over. Castle is still very hurt and really has no right to still have the belt.

I think why they're doing that though is a few reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if they even flip the belt to Cody at the next TV tapings which probably will be today from the same location if they're still doing that formula of TV tapings right after a pay-per-view. My guess is they don't want to do and air a title switch until after the New Japan show in San Francisco because they don't want to make it look like their champion is jobbing to the New Japan champion. That said they might wait and have Cody win it at the mid to late July set of tapings which I think is in Atlanta or something. on top of that I think they just wanted to Swerve the audience because it seemed very obvious that Cody was probably going to be winning. well like I said I think they should rethink the whole thing and considered given the belt to Scurll. He's over as fuck and they even gave him a swanky upgrade of his music. I'd personally prefer that over another Cody run but we will see

Really liked how they pushed the Stardom girls in the women's tag too. I want to see more of that. Sakai needs to job that belt out to someone asap too. She's adding negative elements to that division ...Tenille Dashwood should get a run against those Stardom contingent.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2018, 12:17:24 PM »

I think why they're doing that though is a few reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if they even flip the belt to Cody at the next TV tapings which probably will be today from the same location if they're still doing that formula of TV tapings right after a pay-per-view. My guess is they don't want to do and air a title switch until after the New Japan show in San Francisco because they don't want to make it look like their champion is jobbing to the New Japan champion. That said they might wait and have Cody win it at the mid to late July set of tapings which I think is in Atlanta or something. on top of that I think they just wanted to Swerve the audience because it seemed very obvious that Cody was probably going to be winning. well like I said I think they should rethink the whole thing and considered given the belt to Scurll. He's over as fuck and they even gave him a swanky upgrade of his music. I'd personally prefer that over another Cody run but we will see

They had the TV tapings tonight.
Spoiler: show
Jay Lethal won the title

• Laz
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »
...really??

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2018, 01:13:50 PM »
Yes.

I signed up for Honor Club and watched it. WWE conditioned me to expect a bait and switch.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2018, 01:48:17 PM »
My guess is Dalton is hurt so much that he needs time off, and Cody will beat
Lethal
for the title after the G1 Special leading into All In.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »
Wow they had the TV tapings live on honor club? I had no idea...wow...that wasn't the finish I expected!

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2018, 01:59:59 PM »
Just the title match was live.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2018, 01:57:10 AM »
Jay Lethal's character is incredibly boring and long overdue  in need of a revision so yeah, OF COURSE, ROH would put the strap on him.

Even though it's probably a transitional reign, still feels like they could've done better IMO

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2018, 02:00:50 AM »
Jay Lethal's character is incredibly boring and long overdue  in need of a revision so yeah, OF COURSE, ROH would put the strap on him.

Even though it's probably a transitional reign, still feels like they could've done better IMO

They had no options. Dalton’s falling apart. They aren’t running ROH Champion vs NJPW Champion at the G1 Special. Taven is Taven. I can’t stand
 Lethal
at all but he’s the best option here.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2018, 02:05:32 AM »
They obviously didn't change it the night before because they don't want to make Marty a transitional champion and they obviously just don't want it on Cody yet.

I agree a remake of Lethal is badly needed. Even his segments on BTE are bland.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2018, 02:09:33 AM »
I’d rather watch Roman vs Jinder than a Lethal match. Every complaint people have ever had about vanilla midgets fits Lethal perfectly.

And Lethal Injection is the dumbest fucking move that makes everyone who gets hit by it look like a complete idiot
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2018, 02:10:01 AM »
Plus.....

This completes the storyline they were telling with Lethal getting all of his wins back to get a title shot. Now he got the title, it was a happy ending and nobody will really complain in a month when Cody beats him.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2018, 02:59:48 AM »
I was doing my monthly ritual of  clearing off episodes of ROH's weekly show off my DVR and Ian Riccaboni shouted out former TSMer David Bixenspan during an episode from the Hammerstein Ballroom.

I am agreeing with people who predict Jay Lethal loses the title to Cody Rhodes in like a month. Then I almost guarantee he "snaps" after losing the belt and does a run as a vicious heel like Christopher Daniels and Jay Briscoe just did in the past year. This company's booking is so rote for the past few years. GD

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2018, 10:06:53 AM »
I second Lethal Injection. I've spoken with Vicious about it many times. It just looks dumb. I'm not a fan of most back handsrping moves, but that one just looks bad. He never gets enough height so the other guy has to lean into the crusher/stunner.

• Laz
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2018, 02:52:47 AM »
Watched Briscoes/Bucks. Half the match felt like the Briscoes trying to force their style of match onto the Bucks, the other half felt like the Bucks forcing their style onto the Briscoes.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2018, 03:00:44 AM »
Taeler Hendrix is going off on Jay Lethal on Twitter claiming she was blackballed from ROH for refusing to sleep with him. Crazy, much?

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2018, 03:42:05 AM »
Yes, it is crazy if he did something like that.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

• Laz
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2018, 04:45:38 AM »
Most signs are pointing to it being a false accusation given Taeler's propensity for hyperbole and Lethal being regarded as one of the more amiable talents.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2018, 05:12:07 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I wasn't trying to discredit her just because she's a women but she doesn't have the best credibility and has been known to be hard to work with which is why we don't see much of her these days.