Author Topic: ROH: Not Just a NJPW Brand Extension  (Read 6086 times)

Description:

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Re: ROH: Not Just a NJPW Brand Extension
« Reply #300 on: February 09, 2019, 03:47:49 AM »
I laughed watching this week's show when they showed Aldis and Black "warming up".  Black doing handstand push ups and Aldis is doing a photo shoot.  Guessing it was probably intentional given the characters.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #301 on: February 09, 2019, 11:41:43 AM »
I laughed watching this week's show when they showed Aldis and Black "warming up".  Black doing handstand push ups and Aldis is doing a photo shoot.  Guessing it was probably intentional given the characters.

That was great, and I, too, laughed at it.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #302 on: February 09, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »
Spoiler: show
At the TV tapings tonight, they were building to Nick Aldis defending the NWA World Title against Marty Scurll at the Crockett Cup in late April.

That is just very ROH booking. Why save that match for (what is I'm fairly sure) an Honor Club exclusive show when you can have it be a major match (and possible dark horse candidate for main event) at the anniversary show or the ROH/NJPW Supershow at MSG?

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #303 on: February 12, 2019, 08:29:16 AM »
Spoiler: show
At the TV tapings tonight, they were building to Nick Aldis defending the NWA World Title against Marty Scurll at the Crockett Cup in late April.

That is just very ROH booking. Why save that match for (what is I'm fairly sure) an Honor Club exclusive show when you can have it be a major match (and possible dark horse candidate for main event) at the anniversary show or the ROH/NJPW Supershow at MSG?

Agreed. Made little sense, and that may actually end up being Scurll's last match in ROH as I believe he is up end of April and obviously is AEW bound. I wouldnt be shocked to see Marty get a ROH title shot in March at the anniversary show either. I wish they would give him a run with the belt but its not going to happen if he's on his way out in the months ahead.

Speaking of which....I havent seen much of any semblance of direction for that anniversary show. I was debating on going but I doubt it unless they throw out an impressive card. Now more than ever this company needs to have the booking long term and thought through, with lots of unpredictability. Unfortunately I'm seeing little of that so far this year. Plus what do they have planned for MSG? Who knows.

I watched a bit of the Miami show on Sunday night and WOW.....their attendance is dipping badly. This was the worst look I've seen from them in sheer numbers in the crowd since they decided to go more midsized arenas. They blacked out almost the entire arena and still couldnt fill what was left whatsoever (I'm guessing there was mabybe 300-400 or so there?). Time for ROH to pull back on these bigger venues, its gotta be hurting them financially badly. The womens title switch was out of the blue too, and guessing that decision is twofold. Klein might be AEW bound (Whitmer is in an agent role there) and they gotta be seeing these attendance numbers and getting concerrned. So making the product a bit more unpredictable with title switches randomly may be an attempt to get those numbers up

• CXF Writer
« Reply #304 on: February 12, 2019, 09:14:20 AM »
They announced Jay Lethal Vs Matt Taven as the main event for their 17th Anniversary PPV. Which yuck but hey at least, we know (or at least, we hope) it won't be the main event of the MSG card.

I've liked the ROH shows I've seen in 2019 so far and the direction that they are headed in overall (Matt Taven superpush and the godawful Bully/Silas/Briscos stable running roughshod aside). Mark Haskins/Bandido match from last episode I watched was fantastic. As I've stated a gazillion times in this thread, I think a massive hit in popularity was inevitable no matter what they do so I hope they just continue to go with what brought them to the dance in the first place (strong emphasis on workrate)

That being said, it's got to be an awful time to be an ROH fan. ROH had three guys who are huge stars with crossover appeal, at the peak of their career, and they still couldn't really break through to the mainstream.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #305 on: February 12, 2019, 09:19:52 AM »
I'm happy they are going with the Taven/Lethal match at the Anniversary show as I am going to the MSG show, and would rather something, anything else. Taven is just so generic and bland. I can't stand the Kingdom.

I love the talent they've brought in. Super pushes to Juice and Finlay, I'm all for. Haskins, Brody King, Hot Sauce, Bandido are all great talents. PCO is fun, too.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #306 on: February 12, 2019, 09:29:23 AM »
I watched a bit of the Miami show on Sunday night and WOW.....their attendance is dipping badly. This was the worst look I've seen from them in sheer numbers in the crowd since they decided to go more midsized arenas. They blacked out almost the entire arena and still couldnt fill what was left whatsoever (I'm guessing there was mabybe 300-400 or so there?).

They announced Jay Lethal Vs Matt Taven as the main event for their 17th Anniversary PPV.

Oh

DTF

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #307 on: February 12, 2019, 09:50:24 AM »
Well if Taven and Lethal are on for Vegas, count me out of that one. I'm not flying out for that shit.

But dont get me wrong, I actually am liking the workrate coming out the gates here with the new talent (that Haskins/Bandido match was indeed excellent), but they got to get some order to all of this and get the real standouts better pushes ahead of the rest of the pack. Right now there seems a lull where they are just showcasing this talent on an even running level. Guys like Rush and Bandido and Juice though need their positions on the top. I think PCO will clearly be moving up the the card too in no time.  I think the brand needs an identity with all this new talent and that's what I'm waiting for more of. A program or two that stands out would be a start. Right now it feels like faction wars that arent really going anywhere. They got a boatload of strong talent, now please develop and use them properly. Cobb as TV champ seems like an afterthought, for example.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #308 on: February 12, 2019, 11:36:11 AM »
I was going to try to go to the Vegas PPV but wasn’t sure I could get out forFriday night and thought I may have to settle for the Saturday night tapings.  Guess that announced main event made it work out in my favor that I won’t feel discouraged.
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #309 on: February 13, 2019, 09:03:56 AM »
Over 4,100 tickets for ROH/NJPW supershow at MSG for sale on StubHub and tickets are less than half the price of what they were when they first went onsale.

Guess Angry 8th grader Jay White isn't the same draw that Elite are  :-\

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #310 on: February 13, 2019, 10:55:09 AM »
NJPW's thing where they don't really announce the card until pretty close to the last minute really hurts things with a lot of people.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #311 on: February 13, 2019, 11:02:13 AM »
I sold mine for face value a few days ago so it's definitely below market value regardless

• CXF Writer
« Reply #312 on: February 13, 2019, 11:13:12 AM »
Agreed. Made little sense, and that may actually end up being Scurll's last match in ROH as I believe he is up end of April and obviously is AEW bound. I wouldnt be shocked to see Marty get a ROH title shot in March at the anniversary show either. I wish they would give him a run with the belt but its not going to happen if he's on his way out in the months ahead.
It seems really dumb that ROH would build a stable around Scurll and give him a major title shot if they didn't think they had a reasonable shot of resigning him.

I mean ROH is dumb and Scurll probably is leaving but it does seem odd considering they low key kind of buried the rest of the Elite guys on their way out.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #313 on: February 16, 2019, 07:20:48 AM »
Not sure which was worse - how uninterested Garrison was in dancing to the theme song they were given or watching Ian try to dance and be enthusiastic.

Really think if they see anything in Kross they need to make him ditch that goofy DragonBall Z look.  I feel it makes him more look like a joke and a goof than help him stand out.  I mean, he is a generic little guy but that look makes me feel he looks like such a geek.
[img width=800

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #314 on: February 16, 2019, 09:06:53 AM »
Not sure which was worse - how uninterested Garrison was in dancing to the theme song they were given or watching Ian try to dance and be enthusiastic.

Really think if they see anything in Kross they need to make him ditch that goofy DragonBall Z look.  I feel it makes him more look like a joke and a goof than help him stand out.  I mean, he is a generic little guy but that look makes me feel he looks like such a geek.

Holy shit, that took me right out of the match. He looked like a total geek.