Author Topic: ROH: Not Just a NJPW Brand Extension  (Read 17491 times)

Description:

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Re: ROH: Not Just a NJPW Brand Extension
« Reply #500 on: November 04, 2019, 03:13:11 AM »
Hey let's not write ROH off entirely, they had Danhausen and Danny Maff on the shows this weekend.

Danny Maff main evented last night against PCO. And apparently, it was ultraviolent hardcore match with cinderblocks and stuff. If someone told me two years ago that ROH was going to main event a show with a garbage match between 51 year old Pierre Carl Ouellette and a 49 year old Danny Maff...well, actually, maybe ROH is going out of business.

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #501 on: November 04, 2019, 03:23:12 AM »
Isn't hiring Dan Maff sort of problematic in itself? Wasn't he blackballed years ago because Homicide accused him of rape or something?

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #502 on: November 04, 2019, 03:37:03 AM »
I saw Homicide team up with Dan Maff three years ago in Beyond so whatever reason Homicide felt betrayed enough by him to have him blackballed from wrestling have subsided.

https://forums.thesmartmarks.com/topic/93163-homicide-and-dan-maff/?tab=comments#comment-2808462
This TRTSM thread doesn't clear things entirely up and I don't know if Homicide ever publicly stated why but everyone assumes it was cause Homicide had sex (and possibly impregnated) a probably underage relative of Homicide.

Anyway, I think these Maff appearances were just guest shots but considering he was in big matches both nights, they probably think highly of him.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #503 on: November 04, 2019, 04:27:19 AM »
My local indy is Homicide's home, and Maff has worked there a few times this year, most recently as 3 months ago. It seems like whatever it was has cooled off. Maff has been working a lot in the North East this year, mainly in Wrestle Pro out of Jersey.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #504 on: November 08, 2019, 03:22:07 AM »
This is probably the first positive thing said about ROH in a few pages but I watched last weekend's show and it was actually one of their better episodes in a while. There was a really long (25 to 30 minute) Alex Shelley Vs Jonathan Gresham match that was good if you like grapplefuck stuff and Rush's first ROH World Title defense against Silas Young, which was pretty dang good. There were Bully Ray and Shane Taylor promos but I fast forwarded through them. Blech.

Only thing is at this point, the crowds are dead and non-existent. God bless the ROH commentary team for selling this but it's hard for a match to really sizzle when it's front of a bored 10% full arena.

I actually think Rush is a good guy for ROH to build around but at this point, it's probably too late. ROH had the right idea by trying to focus on the workrate when The Elite left but they got distracted like a cat looking at a string. I hope they can refocus and this episode was a sign of what that might look like but at this point, Idk if they can turn it back around.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #505 on: November 08, 2019, 07:13:49 AM »
I just read ROH had 150 people in attendance for their show in Wales two weeks ago and 250 in Pittsburgh last weekend so yeah, no, it'll probably tough to turn it around.

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #506 on: November 17, 2019, 12:30:53 PM »
Shane Taylor vs Dragon Lee for the TV title confirmed for Final Battle.

Can we please for the love of God get the title off Taylor?

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #507 on: November 17, 2019, 10:28:19 PM »
ROH did end up signing Danny Maff to a contract.

Idk how ROH can even afford to sign hot dog vendors at this point let alone a TSM icon.

I don't think signing Danny Maff is a bad signing per say cause he's a hell of a brawler. But idk it just seems odd that a 49 year old indy lifer is ROH's idea of a big get in this day and age. Who's next? Tim Storm jumping ship to try and get one final final run!?

They're already teasing a Danny Maff Vs Bully Ray feud. Which...no. ROH is just doing a low budget version of WWE now. You don't sign 49 year olds to work with other old guys! You sign them to work with/mentor young dudes!

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #508 on: November 21, 2019, 11:02:30 AM »
Invalid Tweet ID
Ohhhhhhhhhhh boy.

Well I just hope this buries the Women of Honor division now.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #509 on: November 21, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »
Wow, so the downward spiral continues with the Klein thing.

Is she still ROH women's champ? I can't even keep up with the lack of who gives a fuck with their titles at this point. I'm also blanking out who is even tag champs at this point either.

Anyway, if she is still champ and if ROH fucked her like this while she was dealing with post-concussion issues that they flat out did not handle/address/help with, then I say it's fair game to show up on AEW Dynamite and we get a deja-vu moment from Medusa on Nitro back in the 90s and she straight up throws the WOH belt in the fucking trash.

There also would be a nice opportunity to get her in the mix right away by attacking Riho and starting a program. Klein would match up well with some of the AEW talent much better than ROH for sure anyway,

This division needs to really call it a day anyway as the talent is just not there in ROH whatsoever. It's more a hindrance for whatever coherant semblance is left with this damn company.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #510 on: November 21, 2019, 10:16:29 PM »
Kelly Klein is still the WOH Champion and absolutely would be in the right for throwing the belt in the trash. At this point though, who'd care? It'd be like if Haku had thrown the WCW Hardcore Title in the trash when he debuted in WWF in '01.

I watched last weekend's show from the UK. Boy, it's one thing to have a dead, small crowd in the USA but it's a sad sad state of affairs to have a miniscule lifeless crowd in the UK. Even when Impact was there at their lowest points, the crowds seemed really into the show.

Sadly, for all of us who have been hoping for a sweet merciful death for ROH, I was reading on PWInsider that Sinclair is not showing any panic over ROH's massively declining popularity and is willing to throw more money down that pit.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #511 on: November 21, 2019, 11:26:56 PM »
Invalid Tweet IDHooooooo! It gets worse. ROH basically outright admitted gender discrimination in an e-mail to Kelly Klein. :o

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #512 on: November 22, 2019, 09:30:19 AM »
Sorry this thread is mostly me shouting by myself but

https://www.newsweek.com/ring-honor-kelly-klein-concussion-medical-policy-management-1473223

It's hard to make WWE look like a compassionate employer but ROH does it.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #513 on: November 22, 2019, 10:54:05 AM »
I don't want to see ROH go under. Having another place to work is great for wrestlers. I do want management to change so they have competent people in place, though.

Now there's allegations of physical abuse. This is getting real bad

Invalid Tweet ID
Greg also forgot to re-sign Maria and blamed her for not reaching out to him

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #514 on: November 22, 2019, 10:58:06 AM »
Well he's right that none of the talent will make them millions...just everything else is fucked.

The only reason ROH exists is to provide cheap programming for Sinclair, a company that makes WWE look like Dennis The Menace. Nothing is going to get better.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Piranhas are a very tricky species.
« Reply #515 on: November 22, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
Let them go under. There are way better places and way more options now.

Taeler Hendrix was right all along.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #516 on: November 22, 2019, 01:24:58 PM »
Horrible thing is no matter what we want ROH won't go under. It's just an outlet for Sinclair to produce cheap programming. They don't care if it's losing money or if the talent is being mistreated. It's just there to provide content at 4 AM on Saturdays and 1 AM on Monday Mornings for their gazillion television stations.

They don't have incentive for it to be better.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Piranhas are a very tricky species.
« Reply #517 on: November 22, 2019, 03:27:17 PM »
It's too bad Anthem can't buy them.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #518 on: November 23, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »
Invalid Tweet ID?s=21

"randy was happy all tour"

literally the funniest thing seth rollins has ever said.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #519 on: November 23, 2019, 11:28:13 PM »
It's too bad Anthem can't buy them.
Anthem owns the rights to a lot of ROH footage from the HDNet years already. I think they're slightly more likely to buy ROH than WWE.

But I don't think Sinclair has incentive to sell ROH really. ROH is just the producer of content dumps for them. It's a terrible sign that they're not panicky when they've literally halved their yearly attendance (even if you're nice enough to include the MSG show as an ROH show) and have PPV buyrates three digits.

I am intrigued to see how low ROH can go before someone says "Hold up here!" (they announced they're running arenas in Nashville and St. Louis in February btw) and ROH building around lucha dudes when they're owned by people who love Trump even more than Vince.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #520 on: November 23, 2019, 11:59:43 PM »
There's jut too much to post, but if you haven't been following Joey Mercury, I suggest you do so now. He's still going off on ROH and posting texts and emails that are very interesting. He brought GOD, Seth Rollins, and many others into it now.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #521 on: November 24, 2019, 12:36:15 AM »

jfc. I...just can't even wrap my head around this.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #522 on: November 24, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »
https://babyfacevheel.substack.com/p/is-that-roh-gm-greg-gillelands-burner
Of course, this guy has a burner Twitter account.

Also burner account implies that Sinclair is in process of selling ROH to WWE :o :o :o

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #523 on: November 25, 2019, 12:45:39 AM »
this whole thing is the funniest and worst story of 2019 and maybe longer

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #524 on: November 25, 2019, 12:56:06 AM »
Honestly, the last eight months might push ROH over Impact/TNA for Worst Promotion of the 2010s. I don't know if Dixie was ever this incompetent.

(Also vote in the Best/Worst of the 2010s thread, people).

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #525 on: December 05, 2019, 01:37:06 AM »
Now I know Ciampa wasn't exactly an A list top prospect in 2015 but "Break guys down so bad mentally that they'll have low enough self esteem to resign" is not a great contract negotiation tactic, Joe Koff.

Catching up on ROH while I'm on vacation. This taping from Pittsburgh is sad. I know I've said it a bunch this year but honestly, it looks like there might not be even 100 people in attendance. Making it even worse is crowds are so small that they started dubbing in crowd noise so you hear crowd reaction to a crazy Young Bucks high spot from when the venue was packed and see 80 people sitting and scratching their nuts.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #526 on: December 05, 2019, 03:03:06 AM »
I wish Sinclair would at least be fuckin proactive about money losses (or is this a straight up tax writeoff for them?) and start booking smaller venues again as its making no sense they are doing shows in these bigger locations still. That said, even if they do so, the crowds are still drastically down more than I think I've ever seen in my history of following the business. I remember as a kid seeing some sad crowds when the AWA was going down (I used to attend the Rochester, MN ESPN tapings often) but the ROH stuff is taking that much farther on a downward spiral effect.

The weekly TV, for a variety of reasons, is becoming almost unwatchable to me. The lack of passion in the workers is starting to show.

Final Battle is having bad struggles filling seats too so I'm sure that is going to be a sad show next Friday.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #527 on: December 05, 2019, 04:10:36 AM »
Last I heard they had only sold 125 tickets to their final TV taping of the year at the 2300 Arena in Philly and they were still selling out that venue earlier this year.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #528 on: December 05, 2019, 06:06:11 AM »
Last I heard they had only sold 125 tickets to their final TV taping of the year at the 2300 Arena in Philly and they were still selling out that venue earlier this year.

Yikes! That seems to be an across the board thing. No matter where, there's been a drastic slide that really needs to be addressed. I know even the small Columbus venue that they were recently at was usually pretty filled up for a small intimate show and even that one looked to be maybe at best a third full or less.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #529 on: December 05, 2019, 07:15:23 AM »
Marty Scurll isn't even scheduled for a match on Final Battle.

They're really just gonna ice him for the rest of his run? Although Villain Inc still has the Six Man Titles so I assume they'll drop them at the TV tapings in Philly.

Oh no wait. I just saw Marty Scurll and Flip Gordon are facing Bandido and Flamita. So they'll job to the luchas then head to Jacksonville in their spaceship. Wrestling has taken so many strange directions in 2019.

Also Kenny King Vs Rhett Titus isn't making the PPV, it's gonna be at TV after. Damn! Surprised no one cares about All Night Express Explodes!

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #530 on: December 06, 2019, 10:17:35 PM »
Former WCW Tag Team Champion Crowbar is going to appear at the final TV taping of the year.

OK.

Hopefully, Lash LeRoux and "Above Average" Mike Sanders make their ROH debuts in 2020.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #531 on: December 13, 2019, 01:52:42 AM »
I watched last week's show last night cause my DVR recording of AEW was messed up and it wasn't on demand yet but I felt the need to watch SOME wrestling sooo.... This is the wrestling equivalent of asking for a Super Nintendo for Christmas and getting socks.

It was actually mildly to moderately better than the last few episodes. Nothing to write home about. Columbus was still well below half capacity but at least you could tell there was a crowd there enjoying the show unlike the Pittsburgh and New Orleans taping.

I thought it was interesting given that it was the go home show to Final Battle that both the exclusives featured guys that aren't on the PPV. Bateman obviously figures big into ROH's plans in 2020 probably. I think him and Maff are actually decent signings for ROH at this point. They're both fairly low cost indy lifers who are probably just psyched to get a chance to be on national TV on a weekly basis.

What was really confusing was my man(hausen) Danhausen getting a TV Title shot in the main event. I don't know why we had the indy comedy act of the moment having a competitive match against one of the top heels but I didn't hate it. Danhausen has more buzz than pretty much every act in ROH right now so it's easy to see why they gave him a shot (although hard to see why Danhausen would bother with ROH) but timing was odd.

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #532 on: December 13, 2019, 01:06:18 PM »
The reign of Shane Taylor is over. Dragon Lee is your new ROH TV champ!

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #533 on: December 13, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »
PCO IS WORLD CHAMPION

QUEBECER PIERRE IS FUCKING RING OF HONOR WORLD CHAMPION GOING INTO 2020

WRESTLING IN 2019 IN A NUTSHELL

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #534 on: December 14, 2019, 10:53:22 PM »
I saw a few people that were upset that Rush lost the title so quickly and I sort of get it. I would've mildly preferred a Rush win myself and it's obvious, if there is any long term future of ROH, it's with Rush as one of the top guys. That being said, it seems like ROH meant this PPV to be a total reset of what they've done in 2019 (I mean Matt Taven jobbed to Vinny VINCENT Marseglia (not of NWO fame) so I respect them for going all in.

And PCO is the one guy that casual fans get excited about that doesn't have an expiring contract so sure, why not give him a little run with the title? Some people were whining about Rush's undefeated streak ending but it's not like it was lighting the world on fire. PCO is old af but he's also portrayed as ROH's version of old school Undertaker.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #535 on: December 15, 2019, 03:00:16 AM »
We'll hear of more departures in days and weeks to come but first guy gone officially is Colt Cabana. Final Battle was his last night.

Even though he's a bit past his prime as a performer, I think it's a big loss for ROH. He's a great goodwill ambassador for the sport and underrated color commentator. I think AEW would be wise to hire him in same role he had in ROH the last few years (maybe permanent color guy on Dark?).

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #536 on: December 15, 2019, 03:02:15 AM »
Shane Taylor is gone too so hey, it's not all bad! I'd be more curious on who comes onboard now.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #537 on: December 15, 2019, 03:09:46 AM »
Rey Horus is debuting tonight and it looks like Flamita is being brought on a regular basis so I'm guessing they'll sign whichever lucha is available.

All of their recent domestic signings were random as hell so I'm not going to try to predict them. again Crowbar is working the show tonight so let's say Elix Skipper shows up in ROH in 2020.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #538 on: December 15, 2019, 09:44:38 PM »
In AAA, RUSH made a new Los Ingobernables with La Parka, Konnan, and Killer Kross.
In ROH, he added Dragon Lee, and Kenny King (along with Kenny's valet/timekeeper Amy Rose)

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #539 on: December 16, 2019, 01:53:22 AM »
LMAO at Kenny King being in Los Ingobernable De ROH

Oh God even worse

Spoiler: show
Bully Ray is going to feud with Maria Manic. So we're going to get another six month feud where Bully Ray pummels an up and coming babyface for 80% of the time until the babyface wins with a ton of interference and/or via fluke then Bully Ray gets to tell himself "I'M HELPING OUT DA BIZNIZ BY PUTTIN' OVER ALL DIS YOUNG TALENT!"

Teddy Hart was backstage at the TV tapings last night. "Teddy Hart is gonna show up in ROH in 2020" is one of predictions where I hope I'm wrong.

Oh God what if ROH runs Teddy Hart Vs PCO? *mouthfart*

It looks like there wasn't any comment on Marty Scurll's status other than a lot of "We don't know where he's going!" jokes. He did get the pin in the main event tag with PCO against Dan Maff and Jeff Cobb, for whatever that's worth.

Hot Sauce Tracy Williams is gone. He's a great worker but that was a nothingburger of a run. Hopefully, he goes back to Beyond where is loved :)

ROH also signed Australian star Slex.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #540 on: December 16, 2019, 03:33:06 AM »
Oh man. Teddy Hart is a massive POS but you got to love the carniness of this bwahahah

Online Winter Epicland

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #541 on: December 26, 2019, 01:50:36 AM »
Marty Scurll was announced for the first ROH show of 2020 next month defending the 6 man titles. I guess Villain Enterprises drops them and Scurll finally rides off into the sunset?

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #542 on: December 26, 2019, 04:29:44 AM »
Marty Scurll was announced for the first ROH show of 2020 next month defending the 6 man titles. I guess Villain Enterprises drops them and Scurll finally rides off into the sunset?

They haven't defended the titles in months. ROH could have just dropped them and no one would have remembered them. Instead we're going to get Rush, Dragon Lee (both fine), and Kenny King (ugh) holding them. Dragon Lee is going to be a double champion then since he holds the TV title. Unless they swerve us all and Scurll re-signed and the keep the belts.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #543 on: December 26, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »
Knowing ROH, they'll do something dumb like have Danny Maff become the new member of Villain Enterprises and they'll all turn on Marty and Flip and beat them down to send them out of ROH.

(actually that would be kind of a full circle moment to Marty's full time ROH debut, come to think of it. That idea is either not terrible or the holidays are making me loopy)

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #544 on: December 26, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »
With the shine being wiped off AEW the last month or so I actually think it would be smart of Marty to sign a 6 month extension with ROH that gives him leeway to do stuff like NWA.  6 months from now he'll have a better idea of where AEW stands, and from there he can make the decision of AEW or WWE.

If AEW had taken off and was blowing stuff away I think it would be an easy decision to go.  But, at this point jumping to a ship that isn't necessarily sinking, but is certainly taking on a little water seems dumb.   Wait it out. 

I mean, if I'm a star at this point I'm not going anywhere near that promotion unless it's promised I'm not being put in charge of Dark Order or being fed to them.
Randy!

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #545 on: December 28, 2019, 02:12:41 AM »
I highly highly doubt Marty will resign with ROH. He announced a few indy dates. I'm guessing maybe he does the circuit for a few months while he waits and sees how the Wednesday Night Wars shake up.

Speaking of which, Villain Enterprises Vs Bandido, Flamita, and Ray Horus for Six Man Titles announced for the first ROH taping of 2020.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #546 on: January 06, 2020, 05:00:34 AM »

If ROH draws a half empty arena for a free show then they're really screwed...

also interesting to note Marty & Flip still billed for a show a month from now.

also x2...I had no idea Session Moth Martina was going to ROH?

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #547 on: January 07, 2020, 03:08:18 AM »
That's an interesting idea ROH is trying here, but I don't know.....I think they are making some wrong choices in terms of putting out a free show like this. I get this is an effort to get a fanbase to return, but yikes. At the end of the day its what you are putting out for a card, and how you are using talent. Be it a free or paid show, you gotta get people interested in attending in the first place. Both facets in ROH are a struggle on those ends right now. I'd much rather them reset booking directions and actually put the right talent together and go from there. Maybe that's what they did last month at Final Battle, since I actually enjoyed that show a lot after ROH actually put it out on YouTube for free when obviously they probably got a terrible buyrate.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #548 on: January 07, 2020, 03:20:53 AM »
I think free is tripping over themselves to apologize for 2019 being a bad year. Even if the show is good, what does it accomplish? They aren't going to win people back by making shows free, they're going to win people back by making shows good.

And the shows have gotten marginally better in last month or so. One good thing about ROH's current state is it'll be hard for it to get much worse than it did last year lol.

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #549 on: January 10, 2020, 05:18:39 AM »
I just watched first ROH episode of 2020. I really dug the main event of PCO & Marty Scurll Vs Jeff Cobb & Danny Maff. It was nice to see ROH in front of a lively crowd for the first time in a while. Told a good story of the wily Marty outsmarting the big hosses with help of his big hoss friend. They should probably just stick to the Northeast at this point.

Not surprisingly, they edited out Marty's veiled AEW comments in his opening promo. LOL. Also Marty is advertised for Supercard of Honor on WrestleMania Weekend so maybe he is staying for time being? I have no idea why he would stay with the company that has assumed he was leaving and left him in midcard purgatory for the last year.