Author Topic: ROH: Not Just a NJPW Brand Extension  (Read 20479 times)

Description:

Offline Springtime for Epic

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: ROH: Not Just a NJPW Brand Extension
« Reply #550 on: January 10, 2020, 05:48:50 AM »
They've got to be offering him crazy good money for him to stay. If he definitely is re-signing with them long term then they've got to be brain dead to not make him "the guy". I guess there's also the possibility that ROH allows him to float with other companies like NWA where he can raise his stock and get even more money out of AEW or WWE.

Offline Bernie Bro Kamala

• CXF Writer
  • This conversation sucks.I'm going to take a shower
« Reply #551 on: January 10, 2020, 07:42:42 AM »
Meltz said ROH has offered him a stupid (good) amount of money with the new contract so there's that, I guess.

If he gets more money out of them than AEW and WWE and is non-exclusive than that's the only reason I can see why he'd choose them.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #552 on: January 11, 2020, 03:43:50 AM »
Bandito re-signed with ROH. Genuinely surprised by that one. Really curious if Rush sticks around now.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #553 on: January 11, 2020, 01:07:12 PM »
Start of new boom period for ROH

• CXF Writer
« Reply #554 on: January 12, 2020, 08:47:28 AM »
So Marty Scurll has resigned a new two year deal with ROH that allows him to work with NWA, NJPW, and occasional indy dates as well and...here's a bombshell...

MARTY SCURLL IS GOING TO BE THE NEW HEAD BOOKER FOR ROH! :o :o :o

I did not see this happening but I mean, color me cautiously optimistic. Apparently, last night was the best ROH show in a long time.

Offline grapeswasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #555 on: January 12, 2020, 09:43:12 AM »
Well Meltzer kept telling everyone it wasn't happening when it was a done deal so it's not surprising people didn't think it was.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #556 on: January 12, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
At this point I view ROH much like I do Impact.  They're just too far gone to mean anything anymore.  I think it's much harder to have a level of success, piss it all away and then regain it.  As there is bad will that needs to be rebuilt.  Even if you produce good shows I don't think it's enough.

If MLW gets the Showtime tv deal I would give them much more of a shot at creating something big.
Randy!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #557 on: January 12, 2020, 10:23:17 PM »
Fact that ROH has changed their creative for the first time in a decade, I think, is reason enough for mild optimism.

Saying that they'll never get back to that level of success would infer that had a huge level of success to begin with. I feel like the last half of the 2010s confirmed that they'll never be a mainstream promotion but it felt like they were at death's door for the last few months and this move feels like a real lifesaver.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
    • RedJed's Rasslin' Rants - Only on YouTube! The latest in the wild and wacky world of pro wrestling!!
« Reply #558 on: January 13, 2020, 01:44:59 AM »
Fact that ROH has changed their creative for the first time in a decade, I think, is reason enough for mild optimism.

Saying that they'll never get back to that level of success would infer that had a huge level of success to begin with. I feel like the last half of the 2010s confirmed that they'll never be a mainstream promotion but it felt like they were at death's door for the last few months and this move feels like a real lifesaver.

I totally agree, but now there is some info coming out that...well first, it was that Scurll and Hunter was going to be kinda co-bookers, and now its sounding like Hunter will remain head booker and Marty will be his kind of right hand person in creative, so not sure what to make of it all. The shows this weekend sounded better than usual so he must have some influence.

Honestly though, I was really hoping the ROH creative team would be completely changed drastically by this move and it sounds like it's not going to be that much different. But I guess time will tell. February 9 should be a big test.

One thing I hope the company reshuffles soon is how the presentation of the weekly TV is. I need to catch up on a few weeks of it, but I know by the end of last year I was just completely not feeling it. The recapped and clipped format/sell job to Honor Club just doesn't fly for me.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #559 on: January 13, 2020, 06:23:42 AM »
I think getting TV back to the old format should be #1 priority.

Obviously, two years ago, I would've laughed if you had told me that Jay White being at the Mania Weekend show would be good news but it's good see that some NJPW stars are gonna be there (even if it's an ROH alum).

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #560 on: January 13, 2020, 06:33:45 AM »
Considering how liked Marty is everywhere I can only seeing this not working out if he has nothing but bad ideas on what wrestling should be. Even if he's just mediocre and safe it'll be an improvement just for the simple fact he can probably repair relations with NJPW and perhaps bring in people from other companies and open things up in ways ROH hasn't in years.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #561 on: January 13, 2020, 06:44:00 AM »
I think getting TV back to the old format should be #1 priority.

Obviously, two years ago, I would've laughed if you had told me that Jay White being at the Mania Weekend show would be good news but it's good see that some NJPW stars are gonna be there (even if it's an ROH alum).

It's always good when a company can get one of the best promo guys in the business and best native English speaking wrestler in the world to be on their show. It will be forever strange to me though that nobody can get him to jump to work in the States.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #562 on: January 13, 2020, 07:28:50 AM »
Jay White is pretty great now so to me that's one of the biggest names they can get from NJPW at this point, and I'm sure there will be a few more

I was a bit surprised by Scurll ultimately staying, but hearing things like "main roster money" "can work almost anywhere" and "hand in booking" along with the ROH schedule can you blame the guy?  If it's two years he's still in his early-mid 30's by then and theoretically can raise his stock even more if he can help get ROH back and track while doing some big shots in other promotions

• CXF Writer
« Reply #563 on: January 13, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »
Marty Scurll is also good buddies IRL with Luke Harper so ROH has a shot at signing Big Rig too.

All of this action though makes me wonder why ROH basically wasted all of 2019. Maybe they wrote it off as a lost season and just wanted to see how the first few months of AEW shook out?

My post about the Jay White announcement sounded a bit sarcastic but I just want to clarify, it is a definitely a  very good if not great get for ROH, fantastic at this stage in the game. I'm just saying he's most easily attainable of the NJPW main event level dudes. But the fact they got one when the last co-headline tour with NJPW, they topped out Hiroki Goto and GoD is fantastic.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #564 on: January 13, 2020, 12:03:23 PM »
I'm curious what WWE main roster money means.  It has to be close to a million a year I would think.  ROH also outbid WWE and AEW on Bandido.  And Meltz said Bandido had no intention on signing, but the offer was so much higher than anyone else he had to.

I get that Sinclair has unlimited money.  But, I always thought they just viewed ROH as cheap programming.  They're going to hemorrhage money this year for sure with these new deals. 
Randy!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #565 on: January 13, 2020, 12:32:50 PM »
I'm hoping that if they spend all this money on resigning wrestlers then they'll spend more on television production, live event production. Maybe they're going to try since last year was such a cliff dive?

Also Nick Gage got name dropped during one of the shows this weekend and if he shows up in ROH, I will poop.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #566 on: January 15, 2020, 01:21:01 PM »
Even though nothing really was spectacular workrate wise (Although Alex Shelley-Jonathan Gresham main event was dang good), this week's show was best it had been in a while because it was mostly matches. Hopefully, it's a sign they're phasing out the stupid recap show format.

Main highlight though was Caprice Coleman somehow mixed up the cervix and the sternum. Boy, I laughed and laughed at him talking about Jonathan Gresham forearming Alex Shelley in the cervix.  ;D ;D ;D

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #567 on: January 15, 2020, 03:18:50 PM »

Well this is big news. Looks like there is hope for this company.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #568 on: January 17, 2020, 06:05:10 AM »
Seems like 2020 might end up being a decent year for ROH after all.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • I have a doobie in my funk.
« Reply #569 on: January 17, 2020, 08:51:13 AM »
Whoa.

Now we just gotta get KENTA/Sid and it's back to black.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #570 on: January 20, 2020, 02:36:14 AM »
It looks like they're going to go with ROH Vs Bullet Club theme? Bullet Club is already gonna be in Tampa for their WrestleMania Week jamboree.

Bullet Club is way past their expiration date but tbh, they do still have a lot of appeal to casual fans.

Knowing ROH, they'll probably book Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi Vs The Bouncers though.

Online Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #571 on: January 20, 2020, 03:13:37 AM »
Jon Gresham has been named the new booker for the WOH division. He'll also be training the women they bring in. That's a great move as far as training goes. He's one of the best wrestlers around. Now they just have to bring in the talent, and pay them.

Bully Ray has also been removed from booking the WOH division. If that was the only move it would have been great. He shouldn't have been booking it anyway.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• CXF Writer
« Reply #572 on: January 20, 2020, 03:19:44 AM »
Bully Ray has also been removed from booking the WOH division. If that was the only move it would have been great. He shouldn't have been booking it anyway.

I guess ROH told him to "go be a fan"

• CXF Writer
« Reply #573 on: January 20, 2020, 06:51:14 AM »

PCO Vs Necro Butcher is a match that may happen in 2020.

I feel like ROH was like "Oh shit. TNA is being nostalgic about the '00s? I guess we better be too!"

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #574 on: January 20, 2020, 12:41:53 PM »
I want Taven vs Xavier.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #575 on: January 20, 2020, 11:56:25 PM »
Taven makes me so mad because I know TK O'Reilly could be a fucking star if he just left Taven and Vincent far behind him.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #576 on: January 21, 2020, 12:28:58 AM »
Taven makes me so mad because I know TK O'Reilly could be a fucking star if he just left Taven and Vincent far behind him.

O'Reilly is hurt and Vincent left him months ago to form his own group with Bateman (who's awesome) and 2 other people.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #577 on: January 22, 2020, 09:27:29 AM »
This week's ROH was mostly matches so hopefully, Marty has put an end to the stupid clip show/Honor Club Informercial format they had for last half of 2019.

Mildly interesting note that I'm almost definitely reading way too much into but they did a fluff segment for the Greatest Tag Teams in ROH History (Briscoe Brothers being #1 obviously) and they really put over The Young Bucks when they talked about them being the #3 team. Mentioned that they're still one of the most popular and celebrated tag teams today. Which they didn't mention for the other teams/guys on the list that were still active but not in ROH (ReDragon, Kings of Wrestling)

• CXF Writer
« Reply #578 on: January 23, 2020, 02:25:41 AM »

• CXF Writer
« Reply #579 on: January 26, 2020, 08:09:52 AM »
I want Taven vs Xavier.

Looks like Xavier is going to face Jay Lethal. Sorry.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #580 on: January 31, 2020, 02:28:00 PM »
ROH announced their will be a tournament to crown a champion of the returning Pure Championship.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #581 on: January 31, 2020, 03:01:13 PM »

I'm down.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #582 on: January 31, 2020, 04:31:46 PM »
Grizzly Redwood is also going to be at the Past Vs Present Show

Between that and the return of the Pure Championship, ROH has been adding a lot of candidates to the Future "Matches No One Asked For" thread here.

There is going to be a Brody King Vs Homicide match at that show though, which should be dope!

• Laz
« Reply #583 on: February 01, 2020, 12:03:20 AM »
If 'Cide is motivated, of course. I've seen him work some crappy paycheck gigs more often than not these last few years, but King/'Cide tearing into each other like how he and Joe would? Potential MOTYC to me.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #584 on: February 01, 2020, 10:45:47 AM »
Speaking of Brody, he re-signed with ROH. With them working again with NJPW, that's not really surprising. I wonder where Jeff Cobb stands since he's a free agent right now.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #585 on: February 01, 2020, 11:17:37 AM »
No Sugarfoot or Pelle, no point.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #586 on: February 03, 2020, 07:21:49 AM »
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #587 on: February 03, 2020, 10:47:18 AM »
I got to say ROH has already improved exponentially with Marty Scurll at the helm. Main event last two week have been fantastic and it seems like the crowds finally care again. Plus commentary is emphasizing that management is listening to the fans.

I like them really emphasizing their tag team division, maybe even more than their big belt so far in the first few shows of the year.

One complaint is ROH has got to stop doing entrances with crowd participation because 2 out of 3 matches featured guys who had them and they had to zoom in on some very nerdy fans doing the dance/taunts to make up for the fact that no one else in the crowd was doing them. Master & Machine just come off to me as a low rent Jurassic Express. Joe Hendry's entrance hasn't caught on at all even though I like it. Maybe it just seems too British kitschy. Idk.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #588 on: February 03, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »

Looks like Valeyard got his wish.

Yeah, I'm totally watching this show. First ROH show I'm watching since Final Battle.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #589 on: February 03, 2020, 03:35:01 PM »
Oh shit they found him. Now just book the Christopher Street Connection vs MCMG

Doug Williams being stateside makes me very happy and hopeful for the TNA show. Make a deal with Aldis, bring Doug in, and find wherever Rob Terry vanished to.

• Laz
« Reply #590 on: February 03, 2020, 09:55:31 PM »
...find wherever Rob Terry vanished to.
And then break more chairs over his head.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #591 on: February 04, 2020, 01:16:04 AM »
I LIKE IT!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #592 on: February 06, 2020, 01:49:20 AM »
I LIKE IT!

Online Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #593 on: February 06, 2020, 02:33:24 AM »
Why can’t they just give the people what they actually want? More Bully Ray main events!   This company refuses to listen to their fans!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #594 on: February 06, 2020, 07:02:21 AM »
Don't worry. They'll probably find a way to give the Bully Ray Vs Maria Manic match at least 20 minutes and maybe spin it off into a Bully Ray Vs Teddy Hart feud.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #595 on: February 06, 2020, 08:14:31 AM »
I appreciated the Bouncers calling out too many makeshift teams and they shouldn’t expect to beat a true team.  One of my biggest pet peeves in wrestling so score one for the big guys.
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #596 on: February 09, 2020, 11:30:08 AM »
The free ROH show in Baltimore this afternoon was not sold out...they did have 3,000 people there which is probably 10x the average attendance for average show in 2nd half of 2019.

And mothafuckin Gangrel and The Blue Meanie made cameos.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #597 on: February 09, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #598 on: February 10, 2020, 01:37:16 AM »

Online JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #599 on: February 10, 2020, 01:52:21 AM »
Free Enterprise was overall pretty good.  Nothing that I see as a MOTYC but a few things in motion for future shows that should be interesting.

The entire reason I got Honor Club was I was expecting them to do a lot more with the older shows before now, so that's a long time coming.