Author Topic: ROH: Not Just a NJPW Brand Extension  (Read 7349 times)

Description:

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
Re: ROH: Not Just a NJPW Brand Extension
« Reply #250 on: November 08, 2018, 11:01:54 AM »
Juice is for sure over in Japan and a really really good worker. I'd rate him as better than any of the Bullet Club guys except for Omega, and he's a fantastic promo.

I agree with this, but I've become a huge Juice mark over the past year and a half. His promos are some of the best around.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2018, 04:03:59 PM »
Probably not the right thread to talk about Juice but I've wanted to for a while.  I dig Juice and hope he stays out of WWE.  As much as he's proven himself, I don't see him making a "raise his value" comeback like guys like McIntyre.  As much as he's proven himself, I can't see him getting a shot in WWE beyond where he was before and think he's best on the outside.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #252 on: November 09, 2018, 12:38:30 AM »
Probably not the right thread to talk about Juice but I've wanted to for a while.  I dig Juice and hope he stays out of WWE.  As much as he's proven himself, I don't see him making a "raise his value" comeback like guys like McIntyre.  As much as he's proven himself, I can't see him getting a shot in WWE beyond where he was before and think he's best on the outside.

There were rumors a few months back about WWE being interested in Juice. I agree with you. It's different with someone like Drew and him. He wasn't on main roster TV at the time of his release, so fans wouldn't know him. He'd have to go to NXT, and while there is a ton of talent there, I can't see him being ok with that over staying in Japan and working in front of the fans there.

I just think it's amazing that someone like Juice, with not as big of name as others, went from NXT reject to one of the most over guys in Japan. I think the fact that he went to NJPW and asked them to be a Young Lion, even though he was already a trained wrestler, showed that he respected them and was willing to eat shit before making it again.

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #253 on: November 15, 2018, 10:44:19 AM »
I’m watching ROH TV and can someone tell me who is Shane Taylor and how is he in this company?

DTF

Offline Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #254 on: November 15, 2018, 10:49:41 AM »
He was in a tag team with Keith Lee years ago but Lee knew he'd be a big singles star so he broke off on his own and left Taylor hanging. ROH still books him probably because they want their own Keith Lee. Yeah, he's pretty bad.

Offline Teenage Mutant King Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #255 on: November 15, 2018, 03:12:11 PM »
I feel like ROH lowballing Keith Lee and thinking Shane Taylor was acceptable substitute was one of the worst decisions they've made in past few years.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #256 on: November 21, 2018, 12:29:21 AM »
http://heelbynature.com/2018/11/21/roh-star-silas-young-could-be-wwe-bound-when-his-contract-expires-next-month/

WWE want Silas Young. I was never a fan so they can have him. Good gimmick but bland as fuck in the ring.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2018, 02:42:14 AM »
I haven't seen a ton of Silas but I've heard Randy Orton comparisons when it comes to in-ring so...
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #258 on: November 23, 2018, 03:13:18 AM »
He's an alright, meat and potatoes worker but I get the sense that if he signed to WWE, he'd be wrestling No Way Jose on Main Event in like 6 weeks.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #259 on: November 23, 2018, 11:46:51 PM »
They still don't have one for Fire Stick, but there is an ROH app for Roku. I didn't try it out too much, but after going through it for a couple of minutes, it's very easy to get around.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #260 on: November 24, 2018, 12:09:48 AM »
The only remotely interesting thing about Silas Young possibly joining WWE is it could be an excuse to bring this theme back.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #261 on: November 24, 2018, 01:01:57 AM »
Oh man.  Silas Young coming in and bringing back Regal’s original gimmick has me wanting him to debut by winning the US Title
[img width=800

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #262 on: November 30, 2018, 03:00:22 AM »
Per Meltzer, Silas Young just signed a 3-year deal so he's staying in ROH for now.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #263 on: November 30, 2018, 08:38:35 AM »
Damn WWE just did what I'd do in EWR, where I'd make fake bids on dudes I didn't really want to drive their contract prices up hoping the other guys would re-sign them for even more and weigh them down with a lot of high priced junk. When it worked it was great, when it didn't I'd end up with a unsackable maxed out Randy Orton.

They probably actually did want Silas as he fits a lot of what WWE looks for but at the end of the day I don't think this is going to be seen as a big loss. ROH probably had to offer him a good pay raise which leaves that much less for them to use for other talent and I don't think any WWE fans were really dying to see Silas on Raw or SD. It's also good for the business whenever there's some guys who choose to do their own thing.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #264 on: November 30, 2018, 12:37:07 PM »
Maybe ROH already knows that the Elite guys aren't coming back, so they're spending that money already.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2018, 03:42:37 AM »

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2018, 05:09:35 AM »
Good for him. Don't know how many dudes on the roster can work around his limitations but his comeback over the last year has been really inspiring and I'm glad he got his due.

• Canadian Destroyer213

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2018, 10:33:56 AM »
Maybe ROH already knows that the Elite guys aren't coming back, so they're spending that money already.

I don't think they expect most of those guys back so you're probably right. It's going to hurt their business a lot to lose them and they'll have to get NJPW to send them talent even more which I don't know if they'll do because it's got to be hard on their guys to travel that much.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2018, 08:19:06 AM »
I'm almost done watching this year's Final Battle. I probably enjoyed the Flip Gordon/Bully Ray "I Quit" match more than I should have. It was overbooked to infinity but it was just so entertaining. I really enjoyed Page/Cobb as well.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #270 on: December 15, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »
I'm almost done watching this year's Final Battle. I probably enjoyed the Flip Gordon/Bully Ray "I Quit" match more than I should have. It was overbooked to infinity but it was just so entertaining. I really enjoyed Page/Cobb as well.

It was a very entertaining garbage match. It should have happened about 6 months ago, but it was really fun.

Cobb/Page was great. ZSJ vs Gresham was fantastic, my favorite style of match. Ladder War was very good, and Scorpio looked like a star.

I didn't see the Kenny King match, but he doesn't do much to me, and the Women of Honor match was not good, that division isn't very good, but otherwise it was a very good show.

Also, Mark Haskins signed with ROH. That's a very good get for them. This and Brody King were very good signings. Using that Elite money well.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #271 on: December 16, 2018, 03:56:29 AM »
I was disappointed with Cody/Lethal. Cody's cartoonish heeling was funny, though. Ladder War was ok but there have been better ones in the promotion's history. I'd say an overall solid event.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #272 on: December 16, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »
PCO, Brody King, Mark Haskins, and now, apparently, ROH has signed Bandido. Using that Elite money in a great way.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »
So Marty Scurll's new stable/defacto Elite Replacement is
Spoiler: show
him, PCO, and Brody King.

It definitely seems like ROH is thinking "Well, The Elite are popular on the internet and these guys are PRETTY popular on the internet so it makes sense!" but idk. I love all three guys but them collectively? Feels like mixing peanut butter with lox and hot sauce (condiment not wrestler)

Also
Last night's tapings ended with Bully Ray, The Briscoe Brothers, Silas Young, and Not Keith Lee beating down The Elite and a bunch of other faces. I'm gonna probably laugh cry if ROH's idea for a big angle in 2019 is that stable of MAGA Chuds (with Not Keith Lee as the Sheriff David Clarke) running roughshod over everyone. Although considering ROH is owned by Sinclair Broadcasting, I guess it's good those guys aren't the babyfaces?

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »
The first part of those spoilers sounds good. The second part? UGHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #275 on: December 17, 2018, 02:14:16 AM »
Meltzer mentioned that Zack Sabre Jr. and Juice Robinson are going to be ROH regulars. What is the status of their relationship with New Japan? They haven't been bringing in nearly as many of their stars lately so I'm wondering if the Elite bailing confirms that it's fizzled out? They can still use their stars, sure, but are they going to be forced to *gasp* create their own talent now?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2019, 08:42:51 AM »
Watching the show that aired this week on my DVR now.  Didn't realize this was taped recent enough for Taven to take the shot at Marty about all his friends going to Jacksonville.

I'm on the Jeff Cobb/Luchasaurus match.  I don't know why but I kinda dig Luchasaurus.
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #277 on: January 07, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »

Watch ROH have Silas Young and Bully Ray win the revived Crockett Cup.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #278 on: January 13, 2019, 01:09:17 AM »
Another new faction debuted at the tapings and it is also... interesting...

Lifeblood appears to be led by Juice Robinson and also features Tenilla Dashwood, Mark Haskins, David Finlay, Tracy Williams and Bandido
[img width=800

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2019, 04:57:37 AM »
Super random group of people there but I like the ones I'm familiar with on their own.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #280 on: January 13, 2019, 09:22:57 AM »
That seems like a good faction. Honestly, just from reading the spoilers, I like the direction that ROH is heading in 2019. They can't replace the Elite personality/charisma wise (and I think it's inevitable that they experience a massive decline in popularity this year no matter what they do) but they can get guys who can match if not better them workrate wise. Seems like they're sticking with what brought them to the dance. Having the best technical workers out there just do their thing unobstructed by dumb overproduced television. ROH will be OK in the long term.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #281 on: January 14, 2019, 04:47:15 AM »
That seems like a good faction. Honestly, just from reading the spoilers, I like the direction that ROH is heading in 2019. They can't replace the Elite personality/charisma wise (and I think it's inevitable that they experience a massive decline in popularity this year no matter what they do) but they can get guys who can match if not better them workrate wise. Seems like they're sticking with what brought them to the dance. Having the best technical workers out there just do their thing unobstructed by dumb overproduced television. ROH will be OK in the long term.

Agreed. The creative seems a bit different (Kevin Eck is now on board to assist in creative) and faction wars based lately too, making me wonder if that will play into the MSG show with warring factions in multi-man tags there? As now you have two kind of significant 5 man squads (the other one w/ Bully Ray, Briscoes, Young and Taylor may or may not be a permanent one) and then Villian Enterprises as well to combat the Kingdom too.

I ended up watching Honor Reigns Supreme last night on Honor Club and it felt like a new chapter starting with ROH with damn near half of the roster being newbies who are doing their first quazi-ROH house show. The work across the board was solid enough, and the upper half of the card got a bit into ECW territory with a stiffer women's street fight than I imagined, and a really wild 6 man with PCO taking one of the scariest spots I've seen since Osperay/Scurll with the head knock on the apron. Silas tried a destroyer on the apron and completely botched it, and PCO landed really fucked up (pretty much head first grading the side of the apron). I would not be shocked if he got concussed badly, but he kept working and the fans went nuts for him. Main was pretty basic stuff, and I think Dalton Castle needs to move on from the world title chase at this point.

Bandito/PJ Black was probably match of the night.

The attendance was noticably low last night, not boding well for the future but I think we all expected a dip. That dip was already going on before the Elite guys left, so they should consider some sort of strategy to get asses back in the seats with this new blood coming in.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #282 on: January 14, 2019, 06:39:23 AM »
Dalton Castle seems really banged up and his popularity took a hit with his mediocre ROH World Title run. They were stuck in a rock and a hard place with him cause he seemed way too over to just be a comedy dude but you can't really stick a comedy dude in the main event either. And I think Dalton Castle in serious mode is TV Title level at best.

I am curious to see who ROH tried to build around this year. Jay Lethal is a solid worker and promo but he's really nothing to get excited about. Especially in 2019. Personally, I'd love to see them strap the rocket around Zack Sabre Jr but I also see him kind of having limited appeal to the casual fans/BTE leftovers. I went to an EVOLVE show with some non fans and they did not get what the big deal was about ZSJ's grappling skills.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2019, 06:46:34 AM »
On their current roster, I think Jeff Cobb will be world champ sooner than later. They seem to want to push him to the moon following his BOLA win and he's signed with them so no risk of going to AEW. I have a feeling they may put it on Matt Taven though which will be like giving Justin Credible the ECW title.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #284 on: January 14, 2019, 09:18:29 AM »
On their current roster, I think Jeff Cobb will be world champ sooner than later. They seem to want to push him to the moon following his BOLA win and he's signed with them so no risk of going to AEW. I have a feeling they may put it on Matt Taven though which will be like giving Justin Credible the ECW title.

It feels like they are heading to Lethal vs Taven for the MSG show, with Taven getting the strap, and I hate everything about that.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #285 on: January 14, 2019, 01:25:51 PM »

It feels like they are heading to Lethal vs Taven for the MSG show, with Taven getting the strap, and I hate everything about that.

I sure hope not as that definitely is not MSG worthy at all. I could see them actually doing that for the anniversary pay-per-view in March as nothing else much as on the radar that I can see although they were teasing Aldis vs Lethal a bit on the show last night. But that could be for Crockett Cup in April too since that's a cobranded event.

The only direction I could see making sense for the Madison Square Garden show at this stage would maybe be Scurll vs Lethal. Lethal is about to break some ROH records for holding the title so I'd say anytime after that they should flip the title to somebody else and he's really the only guy that's makes any sense right now to put it on

Otherwise I could just see them do Tanahashi vs Lethal.... maybe not necessarily title against title but some sort of bragging rights type of match.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #286 on: January 14, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »
I'm hoping/guessing that they'll get Lethal Vs Taven out of the way at the 17th Anniversary Show in Vegas.  I don't *think* ROH would dumb enough to close out Supercard of Honor with that. If they thought people were apathetic about Dalton Castle Vs Marty Scurll main eventing last year...

Remember MSG is as much if not more of an NJPW show than ROH. I'm guessing one of their matches closes out the show.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #287 on: January 15, 2019, 06:10:48 AM »
Chris Sabin tore his ACL and will be out for awhile. Flip Gordon sprained his ankle and will miss a few weeks.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #288 on: January 15, 2019, 09:27:37 AM »
CMLL star Rush signed an exclusive contract with ROH. Verrrry interesting.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #289 on: January 15, 2019, 11:01:19 PM »
CMLL star Rush signed an exclusive contract with ROH. Verrrry interesting.

This fucks MLW's big Mania main event of LA Park vs Rush. I'm wondering if this is a way for ROH to try to keep NJPW around around after MSG as he's part of CMLL that works with NJPW.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2019, 01:00:30 AM »
Everything they've done so far in 2019 seems like them getting on their knees and pleading with NJPW to stay with them. This, giving huge pushes to Juice Robinson, ZSJ, and Jeff Cobb.

Also I think it's probably to fuck with MLW.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #291 on: January 16, 2019, 01:06:33 AM »
MLW is definitely getting the short end of the stick here. They've been smart to sign guys like Lawlor and the Hart Foundation but have lost quite a few guys to ROH now.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #292 on: January 16, 2019, 02:54:27 AM »
Good for ROH to get Rush in exclusively (a Rush/Bandido feud would be fun), but this is absolutely to fuck with MLW and the big card MLW had lined up for NYC. Will we ever get the LA Park/Rush match in the states at this point? Probably not, sadly.

Honestly it feels that until AEW fully takes off, MLW is and will be probably the closest thing to a direct competition to ROH. It's the same concept and formula that both companies employ at this point, more directed to the in-ring and the influx of international talent. So this doesn't surprise me unfortunately.

My perception of it all is that I see MLW week after week improving on roster and creative, so their momentum is huge. On the extreme other end, ROH is clearly struggling with mainstream wrestling fans and the future is a big concern by my eyes. After I went to the Sept ppv in Vegas and saw the apathy and lack of attendance in either show then, something was apparent in that they no longer had that momentum any further.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #293 on: January 16, 2019, 05:53:06 AM »
I feel like as long as Delirious is booking and the rest of the current team is running the ship, ROH's ceiling is popular niche brand.

They had a moment the past few years with Cody and the Elite to break through and become a legit #2 but it seems like they've blown it.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #294 on: January 18, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »
Skimming this week's show.  Never seen RUSH before but I really dug him.  So of course he gets beat up by Taven afterwards.  Kingdom does have a cool theme song, IMO, though.

Was very surprsied Beer City Bruiser is a babyface now.  When did that happen?
[img width=800

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #295 on: January 19, 2019, 03:24:26 AM »
Skimming this week's show.  Never seen RUSH before but I really dug him.  So of course he gets beat up by Taven afterwards.  Kingdom does have a cool theme song, IMO, though.

Was very surprsied Beer City Bruiser is a babyface now.  When did that happen?

Rush is awesome, but he's different than what the ROH fanbase is used to watching.
I can't stand The Kingdom, but yeah, their theme is solid.

Beer City essentially turned last week when he found out he was facing Silas this week and Silas refused to not fight him and said they were never friends and it was only business, and that Beer City had no business being in the ring with him. As far as to the live crowd, they just love a fat dude who carries a keg through the crowd.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #296 on: January 20, 2019, 04:21:13 AM »
It has been kind of a slow burn turn with Bruiser. He's been acting upset that Silas was ignoring The Bouncers ever since Silas formed his MAGA Chud alliance with Bully Ray in the Fall. The Bouncers were acting like faces at the ROH/NJPW show I saw in November (high fiving fans during their entrance and sharing beers with their opponents after the match)

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #297 on: January 25, 2019, 02:42:47 PM »
Was not expecting PJ Black vs. Juice Robinson to open the show this week but that is a matchup that has my interest.  Not sure if Blackhas his hair grey for his gimmick now but man he looks rough.  Didn't realize he is nearly 38 either but I guess Nexus was nine years ago now...
[img width=800

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #298 on: January 26, 2019, 02:19:10 AM »
MVP debuted at Road to G1 Supercard last night as Kenny King's mystery partner.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »
PJ Black joins ROH for the Vegas TV tapings after the Anniversary PPV the night before

[img width=800