Author Topic: Sporadically Updated Sick Guy Watches Random Shit  (Read 4887 times)

Description:

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • John Vernon as The Mayor
Sporadically Updated Sick Guy Watches Random Shit
« on: December 15, 2017, 11:43:12 AM »
So I've been sick for some time now, and I just need to distract myself. My attention span is shot, so I went and made a random playlist of old matches and things, mostly things not on the network (or on yet). Old territorial stuff, a lot of old puro, some TNA, some ROH...just random shit. Figured I would start a sporadically updated thread.

Take Five With Barbara Clary (David Von Erich vs Sweet Brown Sugar TV Title controversy, Florida 1982): David Von Erich heelin' it up is just so right, somehow. The "controversy" is that David is a fucking cheater and Tommy Young is fucking blind, and that's all I need. The main thing is that the NWA doesn't have an instant replay rule, and Jim Crockett makes a rematch. Not much to it. Wrestling Stuff. Barbara Clary is kinda dreamy.

Jastin Taylor vs Cheeseburger (ROH, 2017): I haven't watched ROH in ten years, and it's weird seeing it in HD. Taylor reminds me of Johnny Rodz, and I legitimately fucking love Johnny Rodz. Fuck's the deal with Cheeseburger? It seems like he has a cult following everywhere, for some reason. Guy moves well, I guess, but it looks like a cancer patient. Taylor could wind up being someone of note, not unlike the great Vordell Walker. Just MOVEZ. Seen worse, seen better.

Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, and Iron Mike Sharpe vs Antonio Inoki, Kengo Kimura, and Akira Maeda (New Japan, 2-17-84): I'm so down. Everyone but Bret's got black trunks, and Hogan in black trunks is weird. Always liked Mike Sharpe. Hogan is over as FUCK. The Hogan/Inoki interactions have the crowd flipping the fuck out. They ever have a singles match? Maeda kicks out of the legdrop early on, which makes sense in Japan but still, I like it. Hogan's got the workin' boots on, too. This is a fucking sprint and a half. Everyone's getting something in, everyone is able to hang. Inoki pins Bret after the insiguri. I don't care what anyone says, that was top titties.

Jos LeDuc vs Genechiro Tenryu (Uh...the NWA, 1978): Sportatorium, but not listed as a Dallas show and Solie is announcing, so pick one. Tenryu, for the first time ever, looks young, and it's weird. His mustache is .2 Hase. LeDuc is a guy I've read about but seen little of, like a lot of guys on this list. LeDuc no-sells a chop and starts stalking Tenryu like Jason Voorhees. LeDuc kills him with a legdrop. I'm all about LeDuc so far. Crazy monster lumberjack? That's what it's all about.

More later, maybe.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
Re: Sporadically Updated Sick Guy Watches Random Shit on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »
Fuck sick, fuck doctors, fuck King's Landing, fuck the King.

Anyway, distractions. Right.

Hiroshi Hase vs Super Medico (WWC Puerto Rico, 2/86). Hase is a guy I can always count on. I don't that I personally have been let down by a Hase match, because he's Hase. I know nothing about Super Medico, but there were probably ten of them anyway so who cares. I am unsure, though, why he's a heel. Ohhh, he's a heal. This is being held in a baseball stadium, and the tape quality makes the crowd on the hard camera look like a matte painting. Sounds like there's Japanese commentary dubbed rather quickly over the Spanish commentary, which is good because I didn't want to make my headaches justified. However whatever they did removed crowd noise, so it's playing to a void. Hase's kinda punching below his weight limit, here. Medico sucks bear butt. A really ugly flying headbutt to a stanting Hase gives Medico the win. The Puerto Rico section will be fun.

Hiroshi Hase/Fumihiro Niikura vs Ricky Sexton/Tully Blanch(WWC, March 1986): Not Blanchard, just Tully Blanch. I don't feel like betting on Blanch is the right decision. Somewhere in time and space is a dimension where Hase and Niikura were the Orient Express and having awesome matches with the Rockers. Commentary is again hastily redubbed and kills crowd noise. I wanna invest in this plodding murder. I want that pop that at least makes me feel like the end of Homeward Bound is coming, then death by chop. Hase/Niikura win. Finally.

Jimmy Snuka vs Ricky Steamboat (AJPW, 1981(?)): This is pre-murder Snuka, in red boots. Steamboat is gaining his main event weight. I make tea during a long headlock sequence.  I drink it, and literally leave to come back to another headlock sequence. Oh, so we're doing that shit. When they stop that and things happen, I'm immediately reminded that Steamboat is one of the GOATs and I'd watch him wrestle basically anyone/thing. Which goes back immediately to the headlock. Joe Higuchi is the best part of the match. Top three referee. Snuka's Mahal-esque in physique. Headlocks, I check the mail. Christmas cards are a weird level of friendship. Like, you like someone enough to devote the time, but ultimately what's it worth? Oh shit the match is a match now. I think the motherfucking DESTROYER is at ringside and this would, were I using stars, just gain one.Steamboat's been headbutted and bitten bloody, triggering Snuka's hunting instincts. Evil Snuka never got a fair shake in the WWF (rightly so) but he looks like an exploitation movie poster. I wonder if I, or you, or anyone in the business ever saw Snuka lucid. This picked up FAST. Some neat near falls, Evil Snuka grinning like a psychopath, and Steamboat fighting and fighting until he gets himself disqualified for beating too much fuck outta Snuka. Fun little match, just slow as balls. They're now fighting down the aisle, where Snuka cracks Ricky with a table and it all goes awesome. Angry Steamboat rules.

Next time, whatever. Someone blowing up or Lou Thesz or whatever I put up during a period of rough.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 07:02:01 PM »
JOE LeDUC VERSUS TENRYU?!?!?! Gonna get on YouTube and watch that right now.

Angry Steamboat vs. Evil Snuka is fun once it gets going; there's a few matches between them that I have on a bootleg tape somewhere.
Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
LeDuc/Tenryu is kind of a product-of-its-time squash, but dude, that's still really cool, you know? Even cooler at the Sportatorium.

So hey.

Big Van Vader vs El Giante/Giant Gonzalez (Japan, some time when Gigante was in WCW or otherwise alive): Ohhh shit. I love a good freak show. I feel like bad things await Gonzalez. Gonzalez, being Gonzalez, works light, while Vader does not, and beats the FUCK out of him in the corner as he is wont to do. Vader just casually beats him to the ground and I kinda feel bad for Gonzalez. He only learned to work a certain way, and is in no position to get fucked up by a Vader. Crowd don't give a shit about him, even when he gets to throw Vader around. Double count out. Oh fuck off. I wanted a kaiju powerbomb. Vader attacks him with the steam from his helmet like a super villain. Ugly match, but you can gauge how much Gonzalez gets legit hurt by how he does his dopey (and unnecessary) selling.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »
Andre the Giant/Giant Baba vs "Land of Giants" (AJPW, 1992): I have no idea who the the other Land Giant is, but one is Tyler Mane doing the Nitron thing. Andre looks in pain just standing, which sucks to see, but isn't shocking. What was Baba's reputation as a worker in his prime? I was always under the impression he was one of the better big men but age hit him hard and sudden. The Land of Giants are working so light that it's like Andre and Baba are wrestling no one. It's not a good match, as you't expect, but for two monsters who had nothing in the tank, that "whip into the big boot, drop the big elbow" finish was pretty slick.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 02:46:35 AM »
Andre the Giant/Giant Baba vs "Land of Giants" (AJPW, 1992): I have no idea who the the other Land Giant is, but one is Tyler Mane doing the Nitron thing. Andre looks in pain just standing, which sucks to see, but isn't shocking. What was Baba's reputation as a worker in his prime? I was always under the impression he was one of the better big men but age hit him hard and sudden. The Land of Giants are working so light that it's like Andre and Baba are wrestling no one. It's not a good match, as you't expect, but for two monsters who had nothing in the tank, that "whip into the big boot, drop the big elbow" finish was pretty slick.
Baba's reputation in his prime was that he was actually a pretty solid worker.  However, there is at least one Baba vs. Destroyer match on Youtube which is really good but it's literally the only good Baba match I've seen.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:10:36 PM »
I watched some more Baba last night/early this morning, and I agree, he was solid. Baba vs the Original Sheik might be the best Sheik singles match I've ever seen, which you can take as you will. I'm on that Destroyer match, though. Destroyer is a personal favorite I've not watched in years.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
Ayako Hamada vs Ray (FMW/Hayabusa Tribute Show, 12/22/15): I actually knew Ray. We met on some Twitch gaming chat and I had no idea who she was. Talked sporadically, but it was interesting talking to someone who worked all over and just was a cool person. Fell out of touch, and am very sad to hear she's in such a bad way. She was a groundbreaking worker, for reasons that may or may not be known (but I won't say because I don't know, but she would've been one of the more significant names of our time), and it sucks. Hamada is best known for TNA fucking her up despite being good. Hamada also just obliterates Ray in pretty quick fashion, making me kinda sad I found this of all matches popping up.

It had to be right after this she was being checked out for a concussion and then they discovered a brain tumor. Looking her up, it doesn't look good at all. Fuck.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »
I need cheering up and the I haven't been able to get the meds I need. Fun road ahead on my end, but now

Ox Baker vs MAN EATING BEAST w/Sheik Abdullah the Great (Poffo's ICW, 1984): Man Eating Motherfucking Beast (or MEB) is just some big bleach blonde guy in black-and-white face paint. Best jobber. Ox Baker was fucking terrible but so entertaining I can't hate him. Guys like him are exactly what I want when it gets down to it, I guess. Easy to please. At any rate this is the longest five minutes in wrestling history. Ox can only really hit the heart punch, but is otherwise immobile. But fuck it, it's Ox Baker. His finish killed people.

Hayabusa and Jinsei Shinzaki vs Holy Demon Army (AJPW Real World Tag League, 11/23/97): I'm not sure I like my bros HakAbusa's chances. The Army started this rabbit hole I'm enjoying going down. I might actually have this on a goodhelmet comp somewhere. I'm just more chillin' to watch this. I love much they want to WIN, though. No one here cares if they win anymore. Happy endings are devalued. I say as Kawada kicks Hayabusa's face in, only to stop and kick Shinzaki's in, and then kick Hayabusa some more. Kawada and Taue are a fucking perfect tag team. Perfect. The crowd is NUTS for everything. It's been nonstop action from both sides. Speed vs Power done right. Kawada destroys Shinzaki with the powerbomb to finish a fucking awesome match, and one I'd say is very accessible. Watching that made me legit happy. The match had a weight to it I just feel like I at least never see anymore.

Tatsuo Nakano vs Bad News Allen (UWFi, 1995): I'm a Bad News mark and that's because he's fucking awesome. Never seen UWFi, by the way, but have always wanted to, so forgive any dumbness. Bad News looking like he's in his fifties, toned dad bod but eyes of hate. Nakano looks like a guy I once knew who gave me a bump of coke in a bar bathroom. I have never heard a crowd get SO quiet, be SO focused on what was happening in the ring. It was just some awkward proto-MMA but they were fucking ON it. I get what they're trying to do, but in this case it isn't working. Nakano wins with a half-crab into a kneebar. I'm not sure I know the right way to watch this stuff, with MMA brain or wrestling brain or what. Really looking forward to finding out. My attention is piqued.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »
Giant Haystacks & Fit Finlay vs. Big Daddy & Drew McDonald (World of Sport, 1984: So I know one of these guys is good, one is Loch Ness, Drew McDonald in a kilt (therefore good also), and the other is Big Daddy. I've seen Big Daddy's name brought up and how he's kind of a British icon, and he might just be the most hideous looking human being I have ever seen. Young Finlay with brown hair and a beard is kinda cool. I have no idea if he's able to carry two like 500lbs guys and McDonald, but maybe I'm selling McDonald short. Finlay's all fast and spry and kinda super-stiff-proto-Owen Hart. McDonald himself is a 300lbs guy, but is moving well enough and seems like a fine big dude. He and Finlay are carrying this. Haystacks is every bit as good as he'd be in '96. But he's all afraid of Big Daddy because heel and it looks fucking stupid. Two big fat dudes should never be afraid of just bashing into each other until one of them dies.

Finlay works like a fucking star. Haystacks just falls on McDonald for a fall. Last night I watched the Holy Demon Army. That was cool. Big Daddy looks like a giant elderly baby. Somehow Daddy and McDonald win by count out. I guess. Haystacks and Finlay ran away and they got their hands raised. Ugly as sin, but Finlay was the shit and McDonald seemed fine. We never even got two fat dudes running into each other for more than a second, too, which is bullshit. If I'm hossin' I want fucking hoss behavior.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »
Abdullah the Butcher had this awesome match where he stabbed a dude with a fork. Can't remember who though.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 06:14:29 AM »
Big Daddy, if I'm recalling what I've read correctly, was a massive star in the UK for the 70s and 80s, but he continued to put himself over at the expense of others well into retirement age and practically killed the scene until the brief FWA flurry in the early 00s (which then killed the scene until ICW/Progress/RevPro came along).
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 11:05:12 AM »
That's my understanding as well. I've been curious about the British/World of Sport scene forever, and what I've been seeing is either a fat guy going over in hilarious fashion or guys like Finlay/Regal/Owen cutting their teeth in the business. Big Daddy is every negative comment anyone has ever had about Hogan or Cena or basically any top face. I don't think I've seen the guy even leave his feet yet.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 11:24:17 AM »
Suggestions of anything from anywhere/when are welcome. It would appear I have the time.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
That's my understanding as well. I've been curious about the British/World of Sport scene forever, and what I've been seeing is either a fat guy going over in hilarious fashion or guys like Finlay/Regal/Owen cutting their teeth in the business. Big Daddy is every negative comment anyone has ever had about Hogan or Cena or basically any top face. I don't think I've seen the guy even leave his feet yet.

He was the British version of hogan.  He occasionally bumped when fighting giant haystacks.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 06:39:07 AM »
How the fuck did he become the British Hogan of all people? Just always booking himself as the top guy? Did he always look like the world's largest uncooked pie?

I'm shocked Vince never brought Haystacks in. Seven-foot, 500+lbs guy in the '80s would've been perfect to feed Hogan and/or superteam with Andre.

• Laz
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 07:06:26 AM »
He was always a big guy, yeah. I can't quite explain the appeal since I was neither alive at his peak nor British, but it seems like he was a dominant heel who turned face at the right time.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »
I hear you. These British matches are fun as fuck when you're in the right mood, though. Whole new appreciation for Fit Finlay.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
Giant Baba vs Fritz Von Erich (AJPW, July 25,1975): Submission or failure to answer a ten count. They beat the everloving fuck out of each other. Fritz gets busted open early on. He's always going for the claw in one form or another, which is fine by me. It's the third most effective killshot in a Von Erich's arsenal, so by all means, fuck him up. He keeps trying, and Baba keeps fighting for his life to either defend or break it.

Ending is bullshit with Baba keeping him out of the ring and just kicking and chopping over and over. It's basically a super rewarding video game brawl. Goes by fast, too. 

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 02:32:55 PM »
The Pepper Gomez: Man With the Cast Iron Stomach angle is some good shit. Can't find the rest of it (where Ray Stevens jumps on his throat and Pepper gets revenge), but my heart's there.

I also have yet to tire of Inoki kicking Great Antonio half to death. I love Inoki.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 04:40:10 AM »
One of the aspects of TV I miss is the cool home base small arenas. Sportatorium, Center Stage, ECW Arena, wherever Stampede and Florida taped. Even the Manhattan Center Raws. It just feels oddly special, in a sense.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »
Never get random migraines and black out and shit alongside pseudo-flu. It makes for a kinda sad new year. But a new year with some Stampede! Stampede had Dr. D working face and feuding with Bad News. It's the best, or would be if every Stampede match wasn't hacked down to ten or so minutes. Nevertheless, Schultz was cutting Stone Cold promos, Bad News Allen called Schultz a faggot and a retard, and the fans chanted "Go home Paki!" at the Great Gama. Wrestling.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »
Anyone else have a severe, virulent, Benoit-esque hatred of the Dynamite Kid?

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »
Anyone else have a severe, virulent, Benoit-esque hatred of the Dynamite Kid?
Based on what he did outside the ring?  Of course.  Inside the ring?  Both were so fucking good that I hate the fact they were so hateable outside the ring.  Makes me feel guilty to enjoy their matches.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
I have kind of --kind of-- an easier time with Benoit to a point. I think that's because Dynamite was just before my time, but it's a scale of evil thing. Both are evil human beings, but for some reason I can't justify it's much harder for me to watch Dynamite than Benoit, to a point. Benoit after that Angle match at the Rumble is more or less where I stop, and it never really gets that far anyway.

Offline Gert

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
My Dynamite Kid dislike is more based on the fact that he treated people beneath him in wrestling like shit and hurt people.

Benoit is a little different. He was my favorite. Loved him since Clash XXI when he faced Brad Armstrong. That said homicide is pretty disgusting. I am grateful that WWE did not totally scrub him from their history, but more so that it isn't fair to HHH & HBK for WM 20, Sullivan for GAB 96 and the variety of Kurt Angle matches.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 03:26:58 PM »
I didn't "get" Benoit until I saw him in ECW with Malenko on some comp. Like I liked him, but nowhere near as much as the IWC of the time. Then I got the J Cup stuff and various other things and it all coincided with him coming back from neck surgery so I was huge on the guy until I probably saw how Eddie's death fucked him up and how his work sorta changed. If he pops up, he pops up, but I won't ever seek him out again. So basically I'm kinda in the WWE's position on the matter.

I really hate watching Bulldogs matches after hearing about how they tortured Matilda. That's really what it comes down to with him, I think. Anyone who married into the Hart family was kinda horrible in their own ways, it feels like.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »
Anyway I watched this a few days ago and novelty aside, it's a trash fire.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 11:38:53 AM »
Ernie Ladd is the only guy I truly think could be a huge star in literally any era.

• Laz
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
Roddy Piper, too.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 01:55:40 PM »
Agreed. We were Twitter Bros. :(

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »

This is the worst match I have ever seen.

• Laz
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »
The bump on the finish makes it better than most Giant Gonzalez matches.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 02:34:18 PM »
Haystacks is by far the worst worker I have ever seen so far. Big Daddy is fucking terrible, but he fascinates me at least for somehow being British Hulk Rhodes. I legit think Haystacks might have peaked as a worker in WCW with that Giant match.

Vader changed my opinion on Gonzalez, somehow. Not sure how but it has.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 02:35:22 PM »
To redeem England:

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 11:25:08 PM »

This is fucking cool.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »

Green Sabu gives me mixed emotions. Didn't the Maivia's run Polynesian, too?

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2018, 10:07:23 AM »
The Styles/Lynn/Low Ki combination could do no wrong. Doesn't necessarily hold up, but regardless is fun as fuck to watch. TNA felt so special once.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 11:19:20 AM »
FMW is as close to a guilty pleasure promotion as I have. But what the fuck is this?

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 12:05:50 AM »
Tolos actually looked in pretty good shape there, all things considered.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 09:28:12 AM »
They both looked infinitely better than I'd expected. I just don't get it. Were either reasonably big names in Japan? Also, that mat looks fucking gross.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »
Never saw the Hase/Muta: Invention of the Muta Scale match before. Fucking Christ, dude. It looks like Hase is wearing a red t-shirt at one point.

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 09:49:09 PM »
They both looked infinitely better than I'd expected. I just don't get it. Were either reasonably big names in Japan? Also, that mat looks fucking gross.
Tolos worked the LA territory for years when they essentially traded talent with JWA (and later NJPW) so he would have been a big name for sure.  Can't answer the same question about Kowalski

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
Okay, that makes sense. The most I knew about Tolos was his work in the WWF and the run with Blassie. It's just the idea that FMW of all places had that match. What I do appreciate is that these two old timers crammed a lot of a 30 minute match from the '60s-70s into four minutes.

Kowalski is a fun watch. He looked like a serial killer. RIP Yukon Eric's Ear.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 03:49:59 PM »
Kudo/Toyoda is still a hardcore masterpiece. Megumi Kudo might quietly be my favorite female performer.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »
Terry Funk is the legitimate GOAT.

• Laz
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2018, 11:10:48 AM »
Agree on the last two posts. Kudo/Toyoda is one of a handful of deathmatches I'd give the full 5. I watched the 1977 Open Tag League finals last week and Terry was brilliant.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 12:49:18 PM »
I first saw Kudo/Toyoda on one of those fucking horrible TokyoPop tapes with the baaaad announcing. Seeing it as it was meant to be seen makes it so much better, like if you're a star-rating person it gets an extra one.

Terry did everything right except retiring. I still don't feel like I've even scratched the surface, and I loved the guy already. I've been running through his run with Lawler, and he's the master.

And

about 4:25-30 you get a perfect slow-burn heel promo.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »

• Laz
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2018, 03:01:37 PM »
Ah, TokyoPop, back when indies and foreign companies still had US retail distribution. FWIW, Kudo/Toyoda is so good that even the shyte commentary couldn't hurt it for me. There's also a really fun Cactus Jack/W*ING Kanemura match on that same card.