Author Topic: Sporadically Updated Sick Guy Watches Random Shit  (Read 4972 times)

Description: WCW Starrcade 2000

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • John Vernon as The Mayor
Re: Sporadically Updated Sick Guy Watches Random Shit
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
TNA's best forgotten moment is totally Mike Sanders vs Jonah the Tough Enough Runner Up.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
After bouncing around the years with him, I can say Owen is my favorite Hart.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2018, 10:03:28 AM »

I have nothing beyond love for Alexis "Mickie James" Laree during the Not Flock period. Julio Dinero is way worse than I remember him, though.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2018, 03:15:11 PM »
Why is it people don't like Alex Wright again? Just bad timing with the Eddies and Deans and Benoits all coming in at once?

Also in case I forgot to before, major shoutout to Monsoon Classic. Most fun wrestling channel there is.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2018, 02:22:35 AM »
Who hates Alex Wright??? I enjoyed the majority of his WCW run up until his run as Berlyn. By the time that gimmick failed and he shaved his head in the company's dying days, that's when I lost interest. I still think the Berlyn debut was pretty badass, though.

The Dancing Fools tag team with Disco in '98 was perfect mid-card comedy fodder. Especially when Tokyo Magnum joined!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2018, 08:48:03 AM »
Dude gets shit from people, somehow, pre-Berlyn. I really liked the guy during his "I am a young German guy" phase, but it feels like he gets weird undue grief or apathy. He and Disco were by far one of the best things about the dying days. But Wright just seems like he never gets his due, and I think a lot of that is just being lost in the cruiserweight shuffle, no matter how awesome he got or how much better a dancer than he was than the Nitro Girls.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »
He also disappeared right after WCW went under. He saved his money and pretty much retired, opening a wrestling school back in Germany. Had he still competed, I bet he'd be held in a higher regard. He was in a WWE video a few years ago, visiting the performance center:

http://www.wwe.com/videos/catching-up-with-alex-wright-at-the-wwe-performance-center

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2018, 09:14:13 AM »
NXT needs an evil German stable.

Fake edit: I'll never feel the quite the same disappointment as I did when Beryn or the Wall wasn't Ludvig Borga. Fuck Finland, wrestling knows no borders.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »

Destiny.

It wasn't that Jarrett won, it was that he didn't put Raven over. I thought going in that this would be first in a series leading to a cage match, because that made sense. Made more than Jeff Jarrett, of all people, beating roughly eight other people after taking a hilarious shit-kicking. You can arguably trace every horrible decision TNA made back to this. The one time they knew exactly what everyone wanted, and told the fans to fuck themselves. The build was awesome, the match (before the bullshit schmozz) was good, but Raven got killed dead and never recovered. Jarrett dropped the belt a few weeks later to AJ Styles in a triple threat with Raven (who got fucked again, but I can't remember who did it). If Jarrett had just made Raven SEEM like the ultimate threat, the ONE guy willing to sacrifice everything, the ONE guy who would do whatever it took to have the belt he came into the company for, Jarrett winning --in a competitive, no/minimal bullshit match-- setting up something would've been fine. But he straight cut Raven off at the knees, made him look like a joke, and the Asylum years never recovered. He didn't have to win, he just had to put him over.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »

Anyway, here's my homegirl Barbara Clary promoting the impending Florida debut of the Great Kabuki. The video package has Bruiser Brody getting one of the first mistings in the US (I assume) and actually losing by pinfall. That's basically it, but I just like Barbara Clary a lot so it was all a bonus.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »

Haku murdering "Rapid Delivery" Rory Fox just felt like a nice space-filler.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2018, 12:05:12 PM »

I know fuck all about Danny Boy Collins, but dude can take a beating. Finlay's kinda settled into full Fit Finlay mode, just faster. Finish is lame, but I really liked a lot of it. Finlay beating the shit outta dudes and fairly well-timed comebacks are what it's all about. The cage is way too loose, though, to where I had a little concern for them both. Made for some okay spots, yeah, but it looked like it was just way too wobbly.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2018, 03:25:03 PM »
Is this 90-minute Aries/Bryan ROH match actually good or is it two really good guys just jerking each other off for 90 minutes?

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2018, 11:55:52 AM »

How the fuck does XPW have the balls to do a Dusty Finish? I'm happy Shane was mobile, and I never cared one way or another for Justin Credible, but what the fuck? Match was odd, anyway. Felt much more like a WCW hardcore match, right down to the lack of blood. I'm sure, like always, I'm missing storyline and context and things of that nature, but it's the lamest XPW match I've ever seen. I went in expecting either bad or pleasant surprise, but this is just lame.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2018, 12:01:19 PM »

Waltman was ten years before his time. He's incredible. Seeing this makes me wonder how Chaz didn't get in the WWF and how Waltman didn't get in WCW, just because it seems like the way the world worked. All I even know about Chaz Taylor is that he was in that skydiving match, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see he's a fun watch. Waltman was next-level, though. My pre-123 Kid Waltman experience is very limited, so maybe I'm overstating, but he was fun stuff. That's gotta be Raven in the booth, too, and he's a blast.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »
Was Takeshi Rikio like Misawa's nephew or something? I admit he's being surrounded by a dream roster, but he has no business being out there with some of these guys. Maybe I'm missing the goof. Does he get better or even interesting?

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »
no he doesn;t. He was a traditional heavyweight and that was about all he had going for him. And by the time they put the belt on him it was too late as well. NOAH had no skill at all with building talent up. Akiyama was never as big as he should have been either. They tried several times to make him the new ace but he wasn't accepted as above Kobashi/Misawa.

That said Noah up to  late 2005ish is one of the best runs of a company I've watched. Lots of great matches and Kobashi's giant title run is the ace run to end all ace runs. Once the wheels started to come off though it wasn't pretty and it's only the last two years or so they've started to really build it up again into a fun company.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2018, 06:35:06 AM »
I'm really digging the NOAH I've found. It felt really special. Rikio is the fist guy I've seen so far who just totally put me off. Was there really no one else at all to put the belt on? Akiyama's become my homie and it's a shame he didn't click as should've, but World Champion Rikio is bullshit in any context.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2018, 06:43:41 AM »
Rikio was the chosen one. The only other home grown young heavy at the time was Morishima and he was just returning from injury (I think on the show Rikio won the title). KENTA and Marufuji were juniors and it would take Rikio failing and the older generations bodies totally falling apart for them to even get a whiff at the main event.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2018, 11:24:54 AM »
So what happened? Did he hang onto it until one of the old guard got it, or Morishima, and is it a reign worth looking into?

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »

I know Flair was a big Alex Wright supporter, and he makes him look really good here. Wright wasn't ready for much beyond this at the time, but he looks as good as a green guy can look.But it's the fact Flair made him look like a threat, maybe not the BIGGEST threat, but he made a cruiserweight dude look like he could possibly beat a heavyweight. It's no HHH/Taka, but it's a really fun little match. Heenan on commentary is gold, too. Flair always brought the best out of Heenan.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2018, 11:41:12 AM »
So what happened? Did he hang onto it until one of the old guard got it, or Morishima, and is it a reign worth looking into?

Nothing really interesting. They went back to the old guys for the next 3 years except for a 3 month Marufuji reign.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2018, 12:54:14 PM »
Yeah, I remember peripherally keep up in NOAH and the Marufuji win was treated like a big deal, if I remember right.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #123 on: February 13, 2018, 01:16:13 PM »

They had WCW matches on Heat during the Invasion? I mean I'm not shocked or anything, but it didn't occur to me the b-shows got involved in this experiment. I was trying to listen to the canned heat, and as someone with bad hearing it just sounded all over the place. All the guys bust their ass to their expected ability, but it certainly came off like O'Haire and Kanyon were the stars. Kanyon and Stasiak didn't look too bad as a team, either, all things considered. Palumbo and O'Haire, though, were fine, but damn I miss Jindrak and O'Haire.  Scott Hudson is a really good announcer, too. Arn Anderson is a really shitty color guy. But holy fuck, man, O'Haire had It more than pretty much anyone at the time. Finish to the match is a fucking F-5! This was pretty fun and a total time piece.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2018, 02:06:41 PM »
Yeah, I remember peripherally keep up in NOAH and the Marufuji win was treated like a big deal, if I remember right.

Marufuji was also the company VP, so it's good to have power.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2018, 06:33:48 AM »

Now this is my shit. Whole show is on the Network somewhere, but I thought this was a fever dream. Vince calling a Brody vs babyface Sullivan match in MSG is surreal as it gets to me. I'll always feel bad we never got Brody/Hogan with Brody just destroying him and everyone flipping out.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »

Some dude on the old board, and I'm sure others elsewhere, were 100% convinced Punk/Doane would main event a Wrestlemania. One OVW's bigger success stories taking on Punk, who was on his way to being Punk. Hell of an ECW title match, I guess. But this is a match I look at more as a period of change. Heyman ran OVW, Vince deciding he wanted evil male cheerleaders, Punk being all bloated and ready for the big leagues-- a lot was going down. I'm not even 100% sure Eddie was dead or not. Punk acted pretty embarrassed to being in the same arena as the Squad, but the Squad were awesome. Why they didn't just them become hardcore asshole frat jocks led by Doane and his natural Billy Zabka charisma seemed couldn't miss. Doane looked quite good, but a lot of that is probably because Punk seemed just like he hated every minute being out there with that circus. Have no idea what that ending is all about, but it got Mikey Batts namedropped and that's all that matters.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »
I think Spirit Squad, in concept, was actually a good idea. A stable of deadeyed loud mouth, sociopathic frat boys is a great idea and there were moments where it almost seemed like they were going for that.

Most of the time though their character arcs seemed to be "HAH! GAYYYY! GET 'EM DX!"

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
Them being the McMahon's meat-shield always confused me. Kenny could've been something, maybe not a top guy, but absolutely hit the same ceiling as Dolph. They could've been one of the better stables of the era if they were just evil fratboy male cheerleaders, hazing the Colin Delaney's of the world until they snap.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »
"Wrestling frat boy douchebags" is so great a concept that it's a shame we've gotten so few of them.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2018, 09:13:53 AM »

Based on the Coliseum Video thread, here's some youngish Judo Alfred Hayes. Guy could bring it, but I bet he had the Valentine "takes him an hour to get warmed up" thing going. Match gets more and more fun as it goes. I've really gotten to like watching the crowds at these World of Sport/classic English shows. Suits and ties, women dressed like they're going to the theatre, the politest cheers and boos there is. It's very comforting and classy. All I need is a Blackadder gimmick and I'll never watch anything else again.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »
"Wrestling frat boy douchebags" is so great a concept that it's a shame we've gotten so few of them.

That they had Swagger, Ryder, and Dolph all at once and didn't make them Greek Freebirds is a shame.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2018, 03:52:39 PM »
I don't think I get lucha libre and that makes me kinda sad, to tell you the truth. Matches here and there I like a lot, but the rest is just candy-colored mediocrity (except for any and all midgets because dude).

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »

That they had Swagger, Ryder, and Dolph all at once and didn't make them Greek Freebirds is a shame.
Ryback would've been great as the Ogre of the stable. And oh shit, EC3 was on the roster at the same time as those guys at one point too. damn. Huge missed opportunity.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »
I said for a long time that they should have done a frat douche stable with Ryback and Axel and someone else back in that whole time period. You could probably still do a gimmick along those lines but not as naturally.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »
Ryback Ogre = new boom period.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2018, 01:21:48 AM »

I know it wasn't common practice to make a light weight look like he can hang with the big dudes, but holy shit. Benoit's solely there because he's good enough to buy as a threat and willing to take the scariest movie there is. He and Norton didn't have a lot in the way of chemistry, but this wouldn't be a fair match to judge such things. How Norton didn't make it big as a monster badass here, I'll never know, but what I do know is my love/hate Rick Steiner relationship has for now swung back to love based on his facial expressions and shit talking. I liked this, but at the same time it felt more like simming a Fire Pro match than watching an actual match.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »

I tapped early, however:

Shane cuts what amounts to a family-friendly promo on Flair.
A mummified Bobby Fulton coming out to "Eye of the Tiger," then stumbling over a promo.
Road Warrior Animal is seconding Fulton, but is announced as Road Runner Animal, which visibly angers him and causes him to announce himself.
Audience rules.

It was very sad seeing this, but whatever, I'm not in the best of moods. How terrifying to think that 25 years ago, this would probably have been pretty decent. Now I'm old.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2018, 02:48:05 PM »

What cool babyface story that would never work today. See, Bob Backlund is "The People's Champ," so he carries around title belts made by kids because he's such a good guy. That could only work with Angle in 2000, or Bayley in 2015. I love it.

I also fucking LOVE the Unpredictable Johnny Rodz. He was the perfect low-card guy, heel version of SD Jones, but more unpredictable.

The announcing is also really good. Guy puts everything over exactly the right way, from Backlund's loss to the Sheik (and how he should face Hogan) to just important and prestigious wrestling in ICW was.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »

Always thought they'd bring Quake back, just for a bit, in 2001. He looked in great shape and had fire here. Crowd knew who he was. Could've had a resurgence like Boss Man did, been the b-show bulldozer during the Invasion for whatever side. He had, what, five more years?

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #140 on: February 28, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »
I remember being pumped when I heard Earthquake was working dark matches.  I thought there was something that derailed him coming back but I can't find anything.  Had just read the other day about a Regal-Golga match that went unaired in Fall of 98 because Regal smacked him so hard the mask came off and the crowd kept chanting for Earthquake.

Also, never saw the post-MSP Joe Abs.  Can't help but laugh at the Bushwackers look.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »
They probably were just touchy about nostalgia acts then. Maybe? But he could've absolutely fit somewhere. He looked really good there, though. Thinking now there's all kinds of shit I didn't even think about that I really want. HurriQuake would've been a fine midcard act, for one.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »
It's funny. The more you just jump around the history or the modern stuff you miss or what have you, you really begin to appreciate what an art this wrestling thing is. Like, you watch even some squash with two guys, you really can put in perspective just how fucking hard they work. Sabu is spotty in every sense of the word, yeah, but man he works hard at it. Guys like Misawa who break their chopping guys and still going 30+ minutes. I dunno. I've gained a new respect for the sheer effort these guys in general put into what they do. It makes me like this silly sport all the more.

Now I can see what Ted Arcidi matches are out there.

Offline Lamar Odom, WHO WAS ON CRACK

• Alfdogg
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »
I remember being pumped when I heard Earthquake was working dark matches.  I thought there was something that derailed him coming back but I can't find anything.  Had just read the other day about a Regal-Golga match that went unaired in Fall of 98 because Regal smacked him so hard the mask came off and the crowd kept chanting for Earthquake.

Also, never saw the post-MSP Joe Abs.  Can't help but laugh at the Bushwackers look.

Have you been following the Observer Rewind posts on reddit, by any chance?  Because I also just read about the incident with Regal there within the last few days.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2018, 02:45:43 PM »
I might need to rewatch the gimmick battle royal again solely because I want to see who was trying to get a job. I remember a lot of those guys, Quake included, being in really good shape.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2018, 09:52:30 AM »
Whatever, fuck it. The TNA Twitch channel is showing some ancient Impacts. Hype ads for Turning Point! Kings of Wrestling! Savage! DDP! That fucking awesome XXX/AMW cage match!

Basically the match I've caught, though, is Jeff Jarrett/Monty Brown, another decision that ruined many choices. Monty spent forever going for the belt, finally got a shot at Jarrett, and got on one their Fox Sports show. Match quality in itself is secondary, honestly, like a lot of these Jarrett main events. It's good though. Not great, but for a TV match that aired at like noon on a Friday, it isn't like you need to be Shawn Michaels to satisfy people like me.

The whole point was Monty going over. That's it. Dude was the right guy at the right time, and was arguably their best chance to be a breakout star. He had It. The entire build was, like all the other times, a foregone conclusion that he'd go over and defend the title against (apparently) Abyss at the PPV-- a show where Jarrett was in a tag match and didn't need the title whatsoever. So naturally Jarrett wins with the help of Scott Hall (the Kings of Wrestling period was fucking awesome though because Hall, Nash, and Jarrett dressed as Elvis is money).

Monty just got damaged beyond repair and became a really over afterthought. World should've gotten him and Scott Steiner for months, man. Never got why they didn't at least pretend to go back to him more. Guy had, what, three more years? Bullshit.

I forgot how much I miss the POUNCE.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »
I remember reading all the Monty Brown hype without ever really getting to see it at the time.  I remember trying to follow TNA but mostly hearing complaints about Truth or Monty not being pushed as they should.  I remember getting my first opportunity to get TNA DVDs around Fall 2005, then sealing my fandom with them when Christian showed up and was pushed as I was a big Christian mark and pissed he didn't get the main event rub in WWE.

I always enjoyed Monty when I saw the matches retroactively and rooted for him in WWE until he decided to leave.  Probably one of the biggest "What Ifs" in wrestling for that 2000s decade.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2018, 10:14:05 AM »
I didn't get it at the time, really. I didn't think he had much to offer, especially on what was really a stacked roster. I figured all the praise people had for him was kind of as a process of elimination thing because they had Jarrett, Hall, Nash, DDP, ghost of Randy Savage, shitty Jeff Hardy, etc. on top and internet never liked nostalgia acts and I was internet. At some point I got it, and was just as mad as everyone. Total shame he didn't get at least some kind of belt from somewhere. He was something different, though.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2018, 05:52:59 PM »

Homegirl Barbara Clary and Gordon Solie talk to Hulk Hogan about his feud with Jerry Lawler in Florida. Hearing Hogan talk about the NWA board is weirder than hearing the classic early "stilted half-Thunderlips" promo before he got it.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »

Vietcong Express #1 is Hiroshi Hase. It's hard go wrong. Johnny Smith seems to be trying to be both Bulldogs at once at times, but mostly feels like a lightweight Davey Boy. Regardless, this is a pretty solid little match. Stampede is really easy to watch. That said, why does a promotion based out of Calgary have red, white, and blue ropes?