Author Topic: XFL Returning 2020  (Read 9948 times)

Description:

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
Re: XFL Returning 2020
« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2019, 06:58:13 AM »
As far as I recall, Vince is putting a ton of resources into this. So it'll survive longer than the AAF at least. Probably dead in 5. So you'll have to put up with it for 5 years.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2019, 08:05:29 AM »
It will last one year, maybe two.

- No TV revenue, so nothing's coming in.

- Empty stadiums

- Sorry players

Just like his brain dead buddy, he might think he's going to put some resources in this and that it'll become successful, but reality is a lot different than that. The TV ratings for the AAF were absolutely abysmal. More to the point I've never heard so many people boo something so pointless as when these videos come on the screen at WWE events.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #252 on: August 21, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »
Maybe it will end up on the WWE Network.

I wish there was a San Diego team.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #253 on: August 21, 2019, 12:05:08 PM »
I'm hoping it at least distracts Vince for awhile from micromanaging WWE as much.

Online New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #254 on: August 21, 2019, 12:22:49 PM »
The XFL's TV deal at least gives it a much bigger exposure (ESPN and FS1) than the AAF (which had one week on CBS and then shuffled to a cable network not many people had) and the funding is much more secure.  It's all up to the quality of play and if there is actually a demand for football outside of the fall/winter.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »
I think there is room in the world for a pro developmental league that isn't the NCAA, but do we need it on TV for six or eight hours twice a week for the entire spring? Probably not.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 7 IS HERE!

I made a silly Disney Parks RPG. You should check it out here!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2019, 01:25:24 PM »
Why do people care about the XFL?
Fantasy XFL League

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2019, 02:03:05 PM »
Dear god no

Offline Spaceman Spiff 🚀

« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »
Fantasy XFL Keeper League

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2019, 09:39:33 PM »

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #260 on: October 14, 2019, 10:43:41 PM »
Fantasy XFL Keeper League
Considering Vince wants this to last 5 years, sure why not.

Online THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #261 on: October 15, 2019, 12:34:40 AM »
I think we should worry about Vince himself lasting five years first
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #262 on: October 15, 2019, 01:56:20 AM »

Matt McGloin landed a job.

Online Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #263 on: October 15, 2019, 03:16:13 AM »
My dawg Jordan Ta'amu getting a shot :)

Also Phase 1 Skill Players completed: https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-players/xfl-skill-players-draft-tracker/

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #264 on: October 15, 2019, 02:16:41 PM »
20-100 for tickets isn't too terrible. Not great, but not terrible.

Online Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #265 on: October 16, 2019, 02:59:06 AM »
Broadcast teams announced: ESPN = Steve Levy, Dan Orlovsky, and Pat McAfee with Dianna Russini while FOX = Curt Menefee and Joel Klatt.

Online Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #266 on: October 16, 2019, 10:38:02 PM »
XFL closed out their draft with the 'open' phase, some of the more notable selections.

Dallas: WR Ryan Broyles, LB Marquis Flowers
New York: RB Tommy Bohanon, WR Keevan Lucas
Tampa Bay: QB Vinny Testaverde Jr, RB Ralph Webb
Seattle: WR Austin Proehl, TE Colin Jeter
DC: LB A.J. Tarpley, S Matt Elam
Houston: RB Akrum Wadley, WR Joe Horn Jr, DE Kony Ealy

We're officially less than 4 months away from the February 8th kickoff date!

Offline The Art of Rasslin'

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • wipeoff
« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2019, 12:04:27 AM »
Only one round of playoffs is interesting.

I can't believe a guy can be that big, and jump around like he does what a great athlete!

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2019, 02:04:19 AM »
There's only 8 teams total so unless they want the entire league in the playoffs (making the regular season kinda meaningless), they can only have 4 spots.

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »

lol

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
So is this the league for the guys who can't make it in the CFL?

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #271 on: October 24, 2019, 05:14:53 PM »
So is this the league for the guys who can't make it in the CFL?
There's going to be a star wide receiver with a pacemaker drop dead from the first tackle. That's the element of standards I'm getting.

Online Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #272 on: October 24, 2019, 11:08:04 PM »

So by estimation this is the maximum salary a guy could earn: Base Salary - $27,040. Per Game (10 Games + 2 Playoffs) - $20,220. Perfect Season Win Wise - $19,998. Total Salary - $67,258 for an 8th Round pick.

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-vs-cfl-player-salaries/

"We know that the XFL has a “tiered” salary structure with the top tier making $250,000 a year with possibly going up to $600,000 while the bottom tier will pay from $50,000 up to $70,000."

Sounds like this is typical Vince salary gimmicking. Yeah, the 8th Round pick in a "bottom tier" could make almost $70,000 in total, in line with the above pull quote, but that is if everything breaks right. Just the base salary + per game (assuming they make it to the XFL Title Game) gets them to just over $47,000. Throw in a few wins and yeah, said player would make just above $50,000 so that salary tier isn't "wrong" per se but it's not really good for these guys either.

IIRC Vince pulled the same stunt salary wise in the original XFL, with a lower base pay while basically utilizing incentives (e.g. bonuses for wins) to push up a player's year end salary.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #273 on: October 25, 2019, 01:06:31 AM »
$55,000 on average is somewhat accurate. Base salary, per game active (there's always someone active), and on average players pocket half the win bonus. So base salary + 10 active games + five wins = $55,000. The problem is that it will work out that more players aren't healthy will the whole season (or are cut/inactive) and the median salary will be quite lower.

Personally I think it's a hard sell that a competing football league has a salary structure where every single player would be crazy to pass up an offer to play in the NFL instead. A player has a great two games and an NFL team is interested in his services. Would said player want to stick around and risk injury for $30,000 when the NFL minimum is half a million? It makes the league a minor league. Minor league teams are interesting from a local fans' perspective, but will national fans give a damn?

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #274 on: October 25, 2019, 03:40:08 AM »
Seems like it's not much better than a AA/AAA benchrider's salary.  I assume the league or franchise is paying travel costs because if not there's gonna be a revolt among the players.  I think this is a good indicator of the level of talent this league is going to attract (e.g. not very good).

Online Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2019, 04:31:30 AM »
Looked it up and the original 2001 XFL had base salaries for $45,000 (with variations for position) with winning bonuses split amongst entire roster on game days.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #276 on: October 25, 2019, 10:35:41 AM »
$55,000 on average is somewhat accurate. Base salary, per game active (there's always someone active), and on average players pocket half the win bonus. So base salary + 10 active games + five wins = $55,000. The problem is that it will work out that more players aren't healthy will the whole season (or are cut/inactive) and the median salary will be quite lower.

Personally I think it's a hard sell that a competing football league has a salary structure where every single player would be crazy to pass up an offer to play in the NFL instead. A player has a great two games and an NFL team is interested in his services. Would said player want to stick around and risk injury for $30,000 when the NFL minimum is half a million? It makes the league a minor league. Minor league teams are interesting from a local fans' perspective, but will national fans give a damn?

Would it appeal to local fans?  We are talking about New York and LA here.  Not cities without NFL teams.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #277 on: October 25, 2019, 11:02:55 AM »
It's so obvious this thing is going to fail.  Last time they tried they still had a major network behind them in NBC plus WWF was just white hot.  They were drawing 3x the fans they currently do for Raw, so the promotion between the two would be much more effective.  They even added in Jim Ross and Ventura to do commentary to hook over the viewers.  You can't do that with Michael freaking Cole.

The fans dissatisfied with the NFL because of the kneeling thing aren't looking to watch 8 teams play a level of ball lower than the CFL in the Spring. 

The whole idea of spending hundreds of millions on this is so stupid.
Randy!

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #278 on: October 25, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
Is the kneeling thing even still an issue?  I haven't heard anybody really talking about it in at least a year.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »
Is the kneeling thing even still an issue?  I haven't heard anybody really talking about it in at least a year.

It's not, but I think it's one of the things Vince saw that he thought he could exploit.
Randy!

Online Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #280 on: October 26, 2019, 02:39:10 AM »
I think to Vince's credit, the league itself has a better... football feel to it all this go around. The coaches are better/more offensive focused (Bob Stoops is a legitimately BIG get in football circles) from Bob Stoops/Hal Mumme to June Jones to Kevin Gilbride even to guys like Pep Hamilton and Jim Zorn. They also add a bit more NFL legitimacy player development wise. The broadcasters and stations are more football-centric with proven names already as announcers so the production should be light years ahead of the 2001 XFL.

The big struggle, of course, will be the quality of play. The reason the USFL kind of succeeded in the 80s was it went into bidding wars with the NFL for college players. Hershel Walker, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Reggie White, amongst a ton of others were all notable collegiate players when they entered the USFL. The 2001 XFL largely struggled although some guys made names for themselves such as Tommy Maddox but we'll see with this league. One interesting aspect is the college kid from Virginia Tech who was drafted as he could represent an avenue for college players to get paid, get real 'NFL Coaching' experience, and better prepare themselves to possibly jump to the NFL after the season. This also eventually will tie back to the whole salary situation and if more money can come in that way for players.

I do think, if absolutely nothing else, the XFL should be entertaining from an offensive scoring standpoint solely based on the coaches involved. That's a bit of a step up from most of these start up leagues (UFL, AAF) which were mostly defensive minded coaches and the guys who were offensive oriented like a Steve Spurrier quickly proved how dominant they could be.

Ratings will probably not be good and the quality of play will likely struggle out of the gate although a good number of the players cut did make it to final cuts in 2019 for NFL teams, so it wouldn't shock me if we end up seeing a fair amount on NFL rosters by the start of 2020 pre-season.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #281 on: October 26, 2019, 02:54:02 AM »
The Alliance of American Football had decent ratings before it shutdown. I have high hopes for this league.