Author Topic: XFL to Return?!??!  (Read 7066 times)

Description: Vince McMahon trademarked United Football League!

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
Re: XFL to Return?!??!
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2018, 06:07:56 AM »
good news for wwe fans:

Q: Hey Vince, how will this affect your day-to-day duties as Chairman of the WWE?

A: It won't affect it at all.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2018, 06:10:16 AM »
LOL @ vinces groan at the CTE question.

Offline Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2018, 06:12:15 AM »
The only way I'll even be remotely interested in this is if they go full-on sports entertainment (which is what they tried to sell it as the first time around). I'm talking RKOs during first downs, dropkicks in the end zones, and tie-ups to determine ball possessions. If it's gonna be a disaster, might as well make it entertaining.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2018, 06:14:38 AM »
Vince is trying really hard to say "our players are going to be forced to stand for the anthem" without actually saying it.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2018, 06:16:49 AM »
Dodged a question about the research about demand for non-NFL football, said they did 'a lot of it'. He said the kneeling had nothing to do with his decision, this has 'nothing to do with politics'. He just thinks '70 million football fans don't get it 7 months of the year'.

Says this will be a 'fan-centric' game, I guess they will change up some rules.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2018, 06:18:27 AM »
a 2 hr game is quite a statement.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2018, 06:19:50 AM »
I was gonna say, some of these ideas might be worth the NFL looking into stealing. Two hours is hard but at least see how Vince uses the Billy Kidman timing to not make football feel like a slog to sit through for parts of the game.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2018, 06:20:22 AM »
Dodged a question about the research about demand for non-NFL football, said they did 'a lot of it'. He said the kneeling had nothing to do with his decision, this has 'nothing to do with politics'. He just thinks '70 million football fans don't get it 7 months of the year'.

Lol. I don't think there was ever a market for year round football and most football fans complain that the NFL has tried to do that to their league.

This is going to be a PR nightmare and open the door for all kinds of scrutiny into the company that actually matters. The media will be looking for any way to tear him down.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2018, 06:22:31 AM »
Another Vince McMahon/Bob Costas interview please.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2018, 06:24:22 AM »
I just want a resolution to that Jesse Ventura/Rusty Tillman war of words.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2018, 06:24:55 AM »
'quality of the human being is just as important as the quality of the player. You want someone who does not have any criminality whatsoever associated with them. Even if someone has a DUI, they won't play in the league.'

I think people here will have a good time with that bit. Also LOL at the beginning of this exchange with Rob.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2018, 06:26:19 AM »
Anyone want to take a stab at how many NFL castoffs will be involved in this? Michael Sam (they've used him as a PR tool before)?

• Admin
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2018, 06:26:30 AM »
This guy wants players that literally don't exist

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Sabre

« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2018, 06:27:35 AM »
well im hooked. time to ebay XFL merch.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2018, 06:35:02 AM »
Basically Vince needs Joe Namath to sign with the Jets instead of the Cardinals, but he also needs Joe Namath to not schmooze with women and be totally awesome, and he also needs Joe Namath to be totally apolitical, but he needs that apolitical stance to be inherently right wing, and hey, look at that, the league's already doomed.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2018, 06:56:30 AM »
cant wait for the big dawg to dominate the new xfl.

Vince calling 3 hour nfl games hard to watch was pretty hilarious.

As far as him saying it won't effect him running WWE, well what else was he going to say? Everytime investors think he might step back the stocks go down (including when trump fake took over). by 2020 Vince will be 74 though and he's already getting frailer and deafer/blinder. He can't keep up the pace. I wouldn't be shocked if he sells more and more of his stock or even takes a Fox buyout so he can focus on this weird obsession.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2018, 06:59:45 AM »
I'm ten minutes into this teleconference thing (and imagining Vince standing on a sea of green) and while it'll never be the NFL or anything close to that this version of the XFL will last a couple of seasons at least. If the president tries to endorse it as an NFL alternative it's guaranteed a niche following for longer thanks to the 1/3 of the country that will follow anything the guy says.

Vince talking about the national anthem so reverently is funny when it's not even the patriotic song he had performed at his own big events.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2018, 07:01:52 AM »
Finally the NFL and the networks will have fresh new ideas for the 2025 season.

• Admin
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2018, 07:06:03 AM »
I'm ten minutes into this teleconference thing (and imagining Vince standing on a sea of green) and while it'll never be the NFL or anything close to that this version of the XFL will last a couple of seasons at least. If the president tries to endorse it as an NFL alternative it's guaranteed a niche following for longer thanks to the 1/3 of the country that will follow anything the guy says.

Vince talking about the national anthem so reverently is funny when it's not even the patriotic song he had performed at his own big events.

Nobody likes bad football.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2018, 07:09:24 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how they would possibly be able to pull off a 2 Hour game, assuming commercial time is roughly 2 minutes per break.

- Shorter half time show? Maybe only 10 minutes for quick recaps of scores/other games then cut back to the field?
- NFL utilizes a 40 second play clock. Maybe this XFL utilizes a 20-25 second one instead both to speed up the game but also more closely mirror the 'hurry up'/no huddle style of the college game?
- Maybe a CFL style 3 Downs instead of the NFL's 4?

Offline Sabre

« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2018, 07:25:55 AM »
They could just not stop the clock for out of bounds etc.

• Admin
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how they would possibly be able to pull off a 2 Hour game, assuming commercial time is roughly 2 minutes per break.

- Shorter half time show? Maybe only 10 minutes for quick recaps of scores/other games then cut back to the field?
- NFL utilizes a 40 second play clock. Maybe this XFL utilizes a 20-25 second one instead both to speed up the game but also more closely mirror the 'hurry up'/no huddle style of the college game?

Hint: this league will never get out of the idea stage

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2018, 07:38:00 AM »
I just assume this is all about getting vince lots of attention and keeping him busy while hunter and steph take more and more power.  Let him fiddle with his toys while they slowly cement power.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2018, 07:48:32 AM »
How can they cement power if he's the majority stock owner?
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

• Admin
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2018, 07:49:40 AM »
No, I really think Vince is delusional enough to believe he can run a league on a similar budget that he had in 2001. I also believe he thinks people will want to watch a league where coaches like Art Shell would have a job.

In the history of this country there has never been a successful, nationally televised second tier league.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2018, 07:51:39 AM »
he's been selling reasonably large amounts of stock for the last few years and probably will keep doing so and if he isn't paying as much attention they can implement more and more of their ideas and put their people into positions of responsibility.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2018, 08:05:44 AM »

As far as him saying it won't effect him running WWE, well what else was he going to say? Everytime investors think he might step back the stocks go down (including when trump fake took over). by 2020 Vince will be 74 though and he's already getting frailer and deafer/blinder. He can't keep up the pace. I wouldn't be shocked if he sells more and more of his stock or even takes a Fox buyout so he can focus on this weird obsession.

I'm actually shocked he did the whole senior citizen bit with Austin on Monday. I thought Vince would never admit to growing old, even for an angle.

I just can't see any way this doesn't fail. I'm not clamoring for an alternate football season. Between college and the NFL I'm good. I can't even keep up with all the games like I used to. In college I could tell you every NFL head coach, starting QB and most OC/DC off the top of my head. Now I probably can't name half of the head coaches or QBs.

I do always wish for something after the NBA Finals, since I'm not a baseball guy, but I wasn't thinking about football.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2018, 08:06:25 AM »
And when that doesn’t work. Have roman reigns be the star quarterback.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2018, 08:09:26 AM »
I can't even imagine clamoring for a regular football season let alone an alternate one.  ;D

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2018, 08:11:19 AM »

Hint: this league will never get out of the idea stage
https://deadspin.com/the-new-xfl-sounds-nothing-like-the-old-one-1822425272

From this it sounded like no half time at all.

Offline Just Call Me Dan

« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2018, 09:23:32 AM »
Favre and Manning all time QBs. 

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »

Lol. I don't think there was ever a market for year round football and most football fans complain that the NFL has tried to do that to their league.

I thought there was back in 2001, but I now think that even back then I was wrong.  Considering all of the complaints these days about Thursday football, a potential 18 game season, and expanded playoffs, there definitely doesn't seem to be a market out there for more professional football.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
More NFL always sounded like a good idea to me until I had it. I feel like the special impact of Sundays are gone in some ways.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2018, 01:09:15 PM »
CBS sports or TSM?:

Furthermore, he wants games to be sped up and played perhaps in as quick as two hours. "Sitting and watching a three, three-and-a-half hour game is laborious sometimes," McMahon said, a statement that surely made WWE fans that have to sit through a three-hour Monday Night Raw each week smile.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2018, 01:38:53 AM »
I've already seen way too many tweets saying that the XFL will succeed because it preaches real American values, the fact that players will be required to stand for the anthem will be the key to their success, NFL are a bunch of UnAmerican sellouts, Roger Goddell is a hack, etc.

Now I just kind of want this to fail on principle. There's still a chance this doesn't actually get off the ground.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2018, 03:37:07 AM »
If San Diego gets a team, I'll get season tickets. Maybe Vince will treat me better than the Chargers.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2018, 07:01:10 AM »
I haven't looked around to confirm this, but my thought is that since he has no broadcast partner that Vince will tie the XFL in with the WWE tv rights deal.

100 million dollars will not go far for capital, especially if Vince is funding all 8 teams. You have to figure at least 25% of that number for advertising alone and that may be low.
If something does get off the ground, expect Vince to push for a Super Bowl commercial in 2 years to kickstart the league.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2018, 07:18:15 AM »
Oh shit JOHNNY FOOTBALL tweeting hints he’s XFL-Bound

Swag
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2018, 07:21:00 AM »
the fist piece falls into place.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2018, 08:00:24 AM »
Oh shit JOHNNY FOOTBALL tweeting hints he’s XFL-Bound

Swag

What happened to only accepting good people that never get into trouble?

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2018, 08:58:21 AM »
Yeah but he's white

Online Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2018, 03:19:32 AM »
Vince dealt pretty much a death blow today.

Charlie and Dick Ebersol are stealing all of his ideas, are backed by Peter Thiel, already have a CBS deal and will be on the air a full year before the XFL.

XFL just got hit with a fatality.

Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2018, 03:21:12 AM »
Can't wait for the XFL vs Ebersol's Football 10 man tag on Raw. The XFL side will all be wearing "He Hate Me" jerseys.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2018, 03:21:23 AM »
loooooooooooooooooooooooool

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2018, 03:26:48 AM »
haha peter thiel awesome.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2018, 03:54:35 AM »
http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/alliance-american-football-league-cbs-2019-charlie-ebersol-1202731190/

Speculation already flying that Vince never intended on an XFL relaunch and is using it as a bargaining chip in TV negotiations.
--

Ebersol is promising new rules. No onside kicks. If you want to try a possession, you'll get the ball at your own 35 and it'll be 4th and 10.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2018, 03:58:11 AM »
Speculation already flying that Vince never intended on an XFL relaunch and is using it as a bargaining chip in TV negotiations.

Oh fuck off.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2018, 01:02:51 AM »
Meltz says the XFL will be 20 second play clocks, thus no huddles for offense. Also no face masks because Vince wants to see player's faces.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2018, 01:03:35 AM »
Meltz says the XFL will be 20 second play clocks, thus no huddles for offense. Also no face masks because Vince wants to see player's faces.

Also no time-outs and a running clock.

Offline snuffbox

• CXF Writer
« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2018, 01:27:27 AM »
Should've just lost another senate race instead.