Author Topic: Bad Movies 2018  (Read 2125 times)

Description:

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: Bad Movies 2018
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2018, 12:26:55 PM »
Man, what did in Jackie Chan's career in the states? He was still a pretty bankable star as late as the last Rush Hour film (2007) and while the Jet Li co-starring "Forbidden Kingdom" came around 5 years too late, it still did good numbers. Maybe it was just age?

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
I feel like I remember the draw of Chan in the 90s being exclusively "he does his own stunts." Anything with depth beyond that was a bonus.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
Man, what did in Jackie Chan's career in the states? He was a still a pretty bankable star as late as the last Rush Hour film (2007) and while the Jet Li co-starring "Forbidden Kingdom" came around 5 years too late, it still did good numbers. Maybe it was just age?

The Foreigner did quite well financially as well as with critics so I think he's still bankable. He's always made strange yet fascinating awful choices in films he goes all in with, though. Speaking of....I swear I saw upwards of over 25-30 producer credits on this one, Chan included.

Offline Mayor of Flavortown

• brock lock
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2018, 02:42:35 PM »
Yeah, I quite enjoyed The Foreigner and I hope he continues to take similar serious roles.

Offline Gary

• Where No Life Dwells
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2018, 05:53:17 AM »
The "Day of the Dead" remake that came out earlier this year is somehow worse than it looked. If you ever wanted a DotD remake
Spoiler: show
where we learn that Bub was a rapist before he was a zombie
than this is the movie for you. Also
Spoiler: show
a zombie climbing an air duct and watching two people fuck.

In other news, "Dark Crimes" is the worst thing I've seen this year. Just a dreadful slog to get through, and even Jim Carrey attempting to do an accent couldn't help.

Out Here Ginding

Offline strummer

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
it's been awhile since we've had a Happy Madison shit bomb to look forward to:

this was directed by Sandler's nephew

saying things in thick New England accents automatically makes things funnier!

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2018, 04:02:09 AM »
Man, what did in Jackie Chan's career in the states? He was still a pretty bankable star as late as the last Rush Hour film (2007) and while the Jet Li co-starring "Forbidden Kingdom" came around 5 years too late, it still did good numbers. Maybe it was just age?

A lot of his 90's rub was, as SFH said, the fact that he did his own stunts and he primarily did martial arts movies. Stuff like Rush Hour or even Shanghai Noon were somewhat new ground as far as Chan's ability to merge actual bankable characters/roles with his own creative, epic stunts for American audiences. Worth noting is how massively successful the Karate Kid remake was domestically too.

Stuff like The Tuxedo and especially Around the World in 80 Days were bad flops that kind of curtailed Jackie's solo ability to carry "big budget" movies on his own. Even the fairly well received The Foreigner was kind of standard as far as Jackie's box office ability in terms of not quite reaching its own budget domestically.

Offline Gary

• Where No Life Dwells
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »

Opens Friday.

Out Here Ginding

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2018, 03:20:08 AM »
Havent seen too much awfulness lately, well except Darkest Minds.

Movies like this make me wonder why in the hell is it even being made at this point. This was something like the Divergent series mixed with Hunger Games with a touch of something like XMen First Class or something. All in all, it was a huge mess of YA adaptation bullshit that is far past the point of cliche considering this genre sailed years ago it feels like.

What got me particularly about this one is that the typical group of kids thrown together because of the fallout of events that lead them to rise up....my god, easily the least chemistry of any young adult troupe in cinema history potentially. The female and male lead as well had such a strong sense of pretentiousness to them in their little romance that it was face palming bad.

I guess the action cuts were ok, but the story was terrible, incomplete, and disconnection to say the least. Stuff like this should, at best, be a VOD/direct to DVD. Instead a major studio (maybe one of Fox's "fuck it" writeoffs before they got bought by Disney?) distibuted and released this.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2018, 07:54:10 AM »
Darkest Minds looked like something which was thought of/started being produced around 2014-2015 but got pushed back and finally released in 2018.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
I saw The Darkest Minds last week, and I realized *on the drive home* that I had already forgotten everything I had just seen.   

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2018, 05:16:01 AM »
I didn't read this review, merely saw the title.

"The Happytime Murders May Be the Worst Movie of the Year"

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/08/the-happytime-murders-review

Inject that shit straight into my veins. Reviewing it tomorrow.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline strummer

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2018, 07:05:40 AM »
Knew something was up with "The Happytime Murders" when it got a late summer dump and has barely been promoted.   I don't think I've seen McCarthy or Maya do any press for it at all

Offline Avid TOXIE Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2018, 09:31:16 AM »
Serves 'em right for trying to rehash something Peter Jackson did 29 years ago.

Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Gary

• Where No Life Dwells
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2018, 03:41:29 AM »
Ever wonder what "Goodfellas" would be like if it had been directed by a sentient "Boondock Saints" poster and was written by the scuzzy paramedic from the original "Halloween II"? Because that describes "Gotti" to a T. I was torn between boredom and fits of hysterical laughter.

"NO SONNA MINE GONNA BE A COP FOR HALLOWEEN!"

Out Here Ginding

• brock lock
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2018, 03:35:21 AM »
Holmes and Watson has the prestigious 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. A few reviews I've read have said it's Will Ferrell's worst movie and there have been quite a few stinkers over the years. Some of the jokes described in the reviews make it definitely sound like bottom of the barrel shit. A Make England Great Again hat? Selfies with the queen? A running gag being Holmes and a woman liking vidalia onions? Watson lactating? C'mon John C. Reilly you did The Sisters Brothers earlier this year, you're better than this.

Offline Gary

• Where No Life Dwells
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2018, 08:10:47 AM »
So much for Braun's big screen debut  :'(

Out Here Ginding

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
I don't go into something like that expecting a quality movie though.  Even a few of Ferrell's comedies that are considered his best aren't great movies by movie and storytelling standards, they just make me laugh.  If there is enough dumb stuff to make me laugh, I'll be good.  I'm not seeing Holmes & Watson to be enriched or enlightened.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2018, 08:26:17 AM »
I don't go into something like that expecting a quality movie though.  Even a few of Ferrell's comedies that are considered his best aren't great movies by movie and storytelling standards, they just make me laugh.  If there is enough dumb stuff to make me laugh, I'll be good.  I'm not seeing Holmes & Watson to be enriched or enlightened.

Sure but everything I've read is that even the comedy itself, which is the focal point of such a movie and its casting, is atrocious and bad which is not a good sign. The scores for the movie have been so bad it's hard to even argue that it's "just a comedy" by way of ignoring a bad plot or bad storytelling.

It's gotten an average 2.3/10 from 20 Critics which is just deplorable. Audiences (945 Users) have given it a 1.6/5 score.

For comparison, Step Brothers (featuring both Ferrell and Reilly) got a 5.5/10 from 185 Critics and a 3.6/5 from 365,413 Users.

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2018, 08:27:55 AM »
A few reviews I've read have said it's Will Ferrell's worst movie

Yikes. That covers a lot of ground.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2018, 08:44:30 AM »

Sure but everything I've read is that even the comedy itself, which is the focal point of such a movie and its casting, is atrocious and bad which is not a good sign. The scores for the movie have been so bad it's hard to even argue that it's "just a comedy" by way of ignoring a bad plot or bad storytelling.

It's gotten an average 2.3/10 from 20 Critics which is just deplorable. Audiences (945 Users) have given it a 1.6/5 score.

For comparison, Step Brothers (featuring both Ferrell and Reilly) got a 5.5/10 from 185 Critics and a 3.6/5 from 365,413 Users.

Step Brothers was one of the movies I had in mind as it isn’t a great movie by movie standards but makes me laugh and I love it.  I guess I never just put too much stock in this stuff and therefore have only come across a few movies I found painfully unfunny that were supposed to be comedies (Envy and A Million Ways to Die in the West spring to mind).  I have a hard time from the stupidnsrudf in the previews that this will be that level of bad, moreso along the lines of Ferrell’s Land of the Lost where you’d be pressed to remember anything about it years later.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Gary

• Where No Life Dwells
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2018, 06:03:06 AM »

Step Brothers was one of the movies I had in mind as it isn’t a great movie by movie standards but makes me laugh and I love it.  I guess I never just put too much stock in this stuff and therefore have only come across a few movies I found painfully unfunny that were supposed to be comedies (Envy and A Million Ways to Die in the West spring to mind).  I have a hard time from the stupidnsrudf in the previews that this will be that level of bad, moreso along the lines of Ferrell’s Land of the Lost where you’d be pressed to remember anything about it years later.
Probably not related, but the guy who directed "Step Brothers" did "Vice", and everything I've read about that movie makes it look abominable to me. Like the smuggest shit imaginable.

Out Here Ginding

• brock lock
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2018, 06:40:51 AM »

Probably not related, but the guy who directed "Step Brothers" did "Vice", and everything I've read about that movie makes it look abominable to me. Like the smuggest shit imaginable.

The Big Short was an incredibly smug movie, so it doesn't surprise me if Vice was as well.