Author Topic: Football (Soccer)  (Read 42447 times)

Description:

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
  • Personal Text goes here, Venkman
    • legitshook
Football (Soccer)
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:31:47 PM »
New weekend, and if you're a Newcastle supporter, maybe some new hope.

Today's fixtures in the English Premier League (EPL)

Saturday 4th April
Blackburn    v    Tottenham   12:45         
Arsenal   v    Manchester City   15:00         
Bolton   v    Middlesbrough   15:00         
Hull City   v    Portsmouth   15:00         
Newcastle   v    Chelsea   15:00         
WBA   v    Stoke City   15:00         
West Ham Utd   v    Sunderland   15:00      
Fulham   v    Liverpool   17:30         

Sun 5th April 2009
Everton   v    Wigan Athletic   15:00      
Man Utd   v    Aston Villa   16:00   

Will Aston Villa crumble to Man U like they did to Liverpool 2 weeks ago? Will Fulham put up a great fight against Liverpool like they did against Man U? The title race is hotting up, but don't forget about the relegation battle at the bottom:

Bolton      34
Hull City      33
Sunderland      32
Portsmouth      32
Stoke City      32
Blackburn      31
Newcastle      29
Middlesbrough   30   27
WBA      24

With 10 points between 20th and 11th and 8 games remaining of the season, anyone could still get relegated!

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:41:48 PM »
I feel so bad for Shearer. I genuinely wish him all the best, it's a tragedy he only one ONE league title in his career and nothing else.

I feel bad because his first game is against Chelsea. This isn't Scolari's Chelsea. Hiddink will have them ready for St. James' Park, the fans will be up for it but Chelsea will see it through.

I genuinely hope Shearer can keep them up as he's one of the good guys in football.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:13:20 AM »
Shearer's going for it. He's named four attackers including Owen, Gutierrez and Martins.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:04:39 AM »
Oh shit, Chris.

Blackburn turned it around and won against Spurs and Stoke are currently winning.

It's not looking good right now.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:11:35 AM »
Man City are one down at Arsenal.

Chris, and when he gets here, Sivy, and other football fans, we really should come on the forum on match days if we're at home. We used to do it ages ago at the old, old TSM in the football thread and it was pretty fun.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:10:24 AM »
West Brom 0 Stoke 2

---

That'll do it for West Brom.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 02:17:09 AM »
Chelsea are winning. Cuddocini (sp?) has dropped Newcastle in it.

Edit: Two-nil.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 03:16:35 AM »
I still can't believe Newcastle may go down. It's been a long time since a "good" team went down. I can't imagine the clearout if it happens.

I watched the West Ham-Sunderland game and if it's any consolation at all to the Newcastle fans, you may still have the Tyne-Tees derby next season. Sunderland looked dreadful. Nothing as bad as that Coloccini blunder though.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 03:22:02 AM »
I'd say the last big team to go down were Leeds. Shame they went down again. Or not.

Dirty Leeds.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 03:48:55 AM »
Who do you support Adam?

Yeah I also think Leeds were the last big team. And look where they're at now. And if Mike Ashley doesn't sell, it's not entirely impossible that Newcastle have a hard time getting back up.

I hope Fulham give Liverpool a battle. Those Fulham fans are in good voice. They deserve it. I always feel sorry for them. Perennial also-rans.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 04:02:30 AM »
Are you from this side of the world Cookie? If not, your knowledge is lovely.

I'm a Derby fan i'm afraid. We.. We're in a transitional stage at the moment.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 04:16:14 AM »
I'm from America. As a wrestling fan I had to choose between cable (for wwe 24/7) and directv (for setanta) and football won out, so I get three soccer channels plus an extra live Prem. game on another channel on Saturday mornings.

The dreaded transitional stage, eh? I was keen on Giles Barnes, West Ham was interested. I haven't even seen him play for Fulham. Must be injured.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 04:33:06 AM »
He is injured. He's currently on loan at Fulham with a view to buy. He came back just before the January transfer window ended and put in some great performances in against Premier League sides in the cup and was promptly shipped out.

He's too injury prone. Ever since Nigel Clough took over, things have slowly started to turn around. We just want to get the rest of this season over with now and start afresh next season.

Clough is the son of our most famous and successful manager. If you're stuck for a minute, this is the new manager in charge and the report from when he took over.

Clough takes over as Derby boss

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 04:42:20 AM »
Oh I know Nigel Clough. I actually have a casual friend (acquaintance I suppose) that is a Derby fan. Hates Nottingham Forest with a passion.

Have you watched The Damned United? I've heard nothing but good things about it. I'd have to find it online though, not sure if it will ever have a release in America.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 04:43:18 AM »
I haven't been able to go out and see it yet, apparently it doesn't portray Clough in that positive a manner. But I do hate Leeds though so I might see it.

Dirty leeds.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 04:56:18 AM »
Ha, thank God for Leeds. The only team with a worse reputation than West Ham.

Are Fulham going to hold Liverpool here? To be fair, Liverpool deserve to be ahead.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 05:14:52 AM »
God, Fulham have really thrown a wrench in the title race lately.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 05:23:35 AM »
Benayoun! It's still a race now at least.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 05:25:29 AM »
Jesus, he left that late again.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 05:38:50 AM »
YOSSI FUCKING BENAYOUN

That was really something.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 05:47:53 AM »
I'd rather have seen that even though I'm not the biggest Liverpool fan. Fulham are threatening my team's (potential) European spot plus I like watching United fans sweat a bit. They do get a bit hysterical.

Boro look pathetic don't they? Should have just sold Stewart Downing in January. I think his value has dropped a bit since then. Of course Tottenham will still probably pay 15 million+ for him. Idiots.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 08:05:22 AM »
Newcastle v Chelsea - the result was expected to any sane Newcastle fan and the rebuilding work starts today. We're lucky Boro are totally shit otherwise we'd be 2nd bottom of the table tonight. Every result (Boro and Sunderland aside) went against us today. Colocinni has been terrible since Keegan left and has gave several goals away this season through bad defending or taking too long on the ball someone needs to tell him that strikers close down defenders in this league.

I hope we don't go down, not because we don't deserve it (because this honestly feels a long time coming), but I don't want the shit storm that will happen if we do get relegated. You know know there'll be a fucking civil uprising within Newcastle if they get relegated - they'll ascend upon St. James' Park and burn Mike Ashley to the ground... and Sky Sports will be there lapping it all up.

In other news I'm sick of Liverpool scoring in the 94th minute every other week. If they win the league title they better say thank you to all the refs that have gave them 'extra time goals' and dubious freekicks/penalties.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 08:11:34 AM »
Chris, Shearer looked like a BBC Pundit on the touchline. It made me smile.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 08:15:54 AM »
Just saw the Owen goal claim on TV and fucking hell what a shocker. Still, would have only made it 2-1.

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 06:24:48 AM »
Well, that was a productive lazy day.

A decent Welsh derby, the Johnstone Paint Final was a fantastic game which ended with the right team winning eventually. Luton players really should have snubbed the handshakes with Mawhinney, that would have been beautiful, but oh well, can't have it all.

And a ridiculously close escape for United. Stunning goal, but that's the poorest I've seen United play in years up until then. Just goes to show, ridiculous as it is to say when we're winning and competing for trophies, we're lacking a proper centre forward. Rooney scores in fits and starts. Berbatov scores when he can be bothered. Tevez works hard but he's hardly prolific. Ronaldo's way too tempermental nowadays to be relied on. None of them are 'proper' centre forwards, they all like dropping off. I've been saying we need a Van Nistelrooy type of player for a couple of years now.

Then again, I had Boro down to win at Bolton on Saturday, so I clear know bugger all about football.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 06:33:35 AM »
Lord Mawhinney being roundly booed was a thing of beauty, KC.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 03:27:01 PM »
I had a pretty good weekend, fantasy football team did well, predictions were almost all right, West Ham won, Tottenham lost, Wigan lost which keeps them away from us.

I'm looking forward to some good Champions League games. And Tottenham-West Ham at the weekend.

King - you're just like a Man United fan - sitting at the top of the table after win yet still finds something to complain about! Typical!   ;)

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 08:34:51 AM »
Fucking Burton Albion threw ANOTHER one away today.

Offline sivy

Football (Soccer)
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 06:26:04 PM »
i've never been so nervious during the man utd game, but the result is the main thing. 

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 07:07:09 PM »
Champion's League action this week:

UEFA Champions League Quarter-finals   07 April 2009
Man. United V Porto
Villarreal V Arsenal

Quarter-finals   08 April 2009
Barcelona V Bayern
Liverpool V Chelsea

UEFA Cup action on Thursday too:
UEFA Cup
Quarter-finals   09 April 2009
Shakhtar   18:30   Marseille
Hamburg   20:45   Man. City
PSG   20:45   Dynamo Kyiv
Bremen   20:45   Udinese

Liverpool v Chelsea is the match everyone will be watching, with the last few years between the two teams being some tight passionate affairs. For you guys in the UK Sky Sports have all the coverage you need, for you guys in the US ESPN2 usually have the rights, I'll check on that ASAP for you.

Confirmation of US coverage:

•  LIVE ON ESPN 360 (US/Mex only)
•  07/04: Man Utd v FC Porto | Villarreal v Arsenal (1945 BST)
•  08/04: Liverpool v Chelsea | Barcelona v Bayern (1945 BST)

For those guys who aren't sure on Football (Soccer) the Champions League contains the best teams across Europe (and Russia) challenging for the honor of being crowned the Champions of Europe. Traditionally it was suppose to contain just the league winners of each league (hence 'Champions League') but recently takes the top 3 teams from some of the stronger leagues in Europe.
If you get a chance check it out tonight as there's lots of action and goals almost always on offer, especially with the likes of Man U, Arsenal, Villarreal and co playing over the next few days.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 07:25:08 PM »
Here in America I'll get to see all 4 games live...two on ESPN2 and two on Setanta. Which is fantastic because I really do think Liverpool-Chelsea will be a bore. Barcelona-Bayern, on the other hand, should be a goalfest.

Having said that, it will probably go the other way.

Predictions for tomorrow:
Man United 3 - 1 Porto
Villarreal 1 - 2 Arsenal

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 07:29:25 PM »
They'll hype Chelsea/Liverpool up the moon over here and it'll probably be 0-0.

Offline I Know You Like Sugar

• King Cucaracha
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
I've got a hunch that Bayern might do well against Barcelona. Maybe the Sporting drubbing's given me the wrong idea about them, but Bayern might be the surprise team, until they lose to an English team in the semis like everyone does yawn.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 03:18:52 AM »
Correction to my earlier post: Today's matches are on ITV and ITV4, tomorrow's are on Sky Sports (UK).

Offline sivy

Football (Soccer)
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 03:25:49 AM »
i think they will be a few surprises, i think man utd to beat porto. i think aresnal vs villarrel will be tight could go either way. overall the final i think will be aresnal vs chelesa in which chelsea will come up on top. i just think that all the games and pressure will get to utd.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 04:27:58 AM »
I can't see Porto scoring at Old Trafford. We're going to have the same situation as last year, we'll have three English clubs in the last four of the CL.

Barcelona, Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Lovely.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 04:53:27 AM »
I don't know about that really.  Arsenal will be in very tough with Villarreal.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 04:59:26 AM »
They'll get through it. Walcott's been passed fit. They'll score in the away leg and they'll be solid at home.

Villareal seem to age quickly. Although Pires has still got it.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 05:01:33 AM »
I'd prefer for Villareal to win tonight. I think Man U v Porto could have some unexpected results, though Porto haven't really been the same since 'The Special One' left. I think for the most part everyones attention is focused on Liverpool/Chelsea round 4.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 05:03:22 AM »
I'd prefer for Villareal to win tonight. I think Man U v Porto could have some unexpected results, though Porto haven't really been the same since 'The Special One' left. I think for the most part everyones attention is focused on Liverpool/Chelsea round 4.

What are the odds on the aggregate score ending 1-0?

I could totally see that.

Offline Kinsey

• Kinsey
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 05:09:21 AM »
Just thought I'd let you guys know...this thread(and the one on the old TSM) has really helped me get into football, its rivaling baseball now as my second favorite sport.

also, figured I'd throw this out there: Who is your favorite footballer, and why?

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 05:13:57 AM »
Welcome to the madness! Who do you support/follow?

My favorite player of all time is Peter Beardsley (Retired Footballer, played for Newcastle United & Everton). He was a real footballer, who hit his prime during the 80's and strangely seemed to re capture in the early 90s when he returned to Newcastle United for the 2nd time, helping them become established in the Premier League (and in the process helped Andy Cole to 42 goals in one league season)!

Peter 'The Great' Beardsley

He could dribble, pass and slot home a goal or two too.

My favorite modern footballer is probably Alessandro Del Piero. He's a lethal finisher and is still going even to this day. He can pull a goal out of almost no where and he's one player I would have wished joined Newcastle more then Alan Shearer, infact, he might be the ONLY player I'd have taken over Alan Shearer.

del piero

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 05:14:07 AM »
I'd probably have to go for Kris Commons right now. He's single handedly won us a bunch of games this season when we had no right winning them.

Of all time?

I'd probably go with the great man, David Beckham, for his England exploits.

And for those who have time on their hands, here's Beckham scoring against Greece. We needed to get a draw or win to go to the 2002 World Cup. It was the last group game and we weren't going. Check out the time in the corner.

David Beckham goal against Greece

Watch the first replay!

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 05:36:55 AM »
For me of all-time it's Paolo Di Canio because I started watching football during the 98/99 season and he was my favourite Premier league footballer at the time and when he signed for West Ham, I decided to support them. I had it narrowed down to either Chelsea or West Ham. Both were in the upper midtable and to my eternal damnation, I chose the team that WASN'T bought by a Russian billionaire a few years later. I chose the team bought by a billionaire from a country that's economy has completely collapsed (Iceland). I know everyone gives Di Canio shit and some of it is probably deserved, but on the pitch, he scored some fantastic goals.

As for current players, it has to be Lionel Messi. I'm not one of those Cristiano Ronaldo haters, I just think Messi is great. Ribery is a close second. Of course, I also still have love for Carlos Tevez. I hope he leaves Man United so he can play more. And so I can start enjoying him again. :)

About the Champions League games. I can't believe people think Arsenal will lose to Villarreal. Craziness! Villarreal looked like shit at the weekend. 3-0 loss to Almeria! Bayern lost 5-1 to Wolfsburg. But I think that has more to do with how crazy the Bundesliga has been this season. But Bayern's defense is porous and it showed in that game. I think Barcelona will take them to school but you never really know.

Oh and btw Adam, that Beckham goal still brings a tear to my eye. Such an incredible moment.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 05:42:37 AM »
Did you watch it live? I remember that night so well, the bar I was in was so down, we were literally seconds from being out of the World Cup before it even began, and then England won the free-kick.

We'd seen Beckham do it so many times, but man, talk about pressure?

As for DiCanio, I'll always remember the goal he scored.. It was voted the best goal in Premier League history lately, which is some honour when you consider some of the goals that have gone in since 1992.

It was the goal where he jumped and did a forward jumping scissors kick like move. I'll see if I can find a clip.

Paolo Di Canio top 5 goals

It was the last goal they show at 1:51.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2009, 05:45:03 AM »
Di Canio was amazing, I have to admit he scored some truely out standing goals, goals that helped over look his questionable behavior on and off the pitch. As for the Messi comment; I totally agree. He's probably the best player in the world at the moment, and has been for the last few years. Sadly, Ronaldo gets more publicity and plays for the 'Golden' team Man U - he's a whiney little bitch that doesn't deserve to win anything.

Messi on the other hand seems a class act.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 05:46:13 AM »
Come on United and Arsenal.

Offline Obi Chris Kenobi

• Citizen 128
    • legitshook
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 05:47:58 AM »
How the hell is Ronaldo captain of Portugal?! He's one of the least influential players I can think of. Sure he does some 'inspiring' stuff with his feet, but his mouth and attitude? Ergh.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 05:48:39 AM »
I bet its related to stature and money, Chris.

Offline Adam

• The Franchise
Football (Soccer)
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2009, 05:48:55 AM »
Goal for Porto.

Nicely worked.