Author Topic: 2018 Oscars  (Read 1430 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: 2018 Oscars
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »
Sounds like a way to placate the whiny fans post-Dark Knight while further marginalizing the "Popcorn" flicks that audiences love by thrusting them in their own category as films not really worth a more prestigious Oscar category ala Best Picture.

Still won't make me watch.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
How about an award for Highest Grossing Film.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline brocklock

• brock lock
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 02:38:30 PM »
What about another separate category for dark and weird films the Academy never nominate for best picture so films like The Killing Of A Sacred Deer have a shot.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2018, 02:47:43 PM »
Sequel shit definitely doesn't deserve nominations.

Best Original Idea would be a lot better.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2018, 11:59:39 PM »
That's what Best Original Screenplay is though really. All these ideas the Academy has are horrible for real.

Offline The Paper Industry

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2018, 12:36:55 AM »
really missed the ball by not having genre-specific categories, could you imagine if there was a best facesitter?

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2018, 12:37:21 AM »
oh whoops sorry these ideas are so bad I thought I accidentally stumbled into the AVN awards thread.

• Admin
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2018, 03:34:57 AM »
That's what Best Original Screenplay is though really. All these ideas the Academy has are horrible for real.

Not really. I mean a category for ideas that haven't been used before.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Sha la la la la, man
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »
A category for ideas seems like a thousand lawsuits waiting to happen.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2018, 06:46:59 AM »

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »
I hope they still give out the oscar for outstanding achievement in the field of excellence.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2018, 02:05:02 PM »
Kevin Hart is hosting next year's show. Eh, not the worst choice I suppose but I have a feeling someone's going to be triggered by something he blurts out.

Offline strummer

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
Also .Andy Samberg and Sandra Oh are hosting the .Golden Globes if anyone actually gives a shit

• KOAB
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2018, 02:45:47 PM »
Kevin Hart is hosting next year's show. Eh, not the worst choice I suppose but I have a feeling someone's going to be triggered by something he blurts out.

It's weird to see some of the same people who defended James Gunn over his joke tweets digging up old Kevin Hart tweets where he's doing the usual "dad hopes his son isn't gay" and "AH MAN THAT'S SO GAY!" hack jokes that would make up a twitter trend of the day seven years ago.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2018, 02:47:17 PM »
by weird, you mean racist right?

• Admin
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2018, 02:53:07 PM »
Those tweets aren't even bad by the standards of the time.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »
it is really funny that Kevin Hart has been one of the biggest acts in entertainment, show business PERIOD and it is hosting the oscars that gets his character assassinated through bs old tweets where he was just trying to be funny JUST LIKE OUR POSTS ON THESE BOARDS

the kind of uptight, whiny white people that both watch the oscars and would bring this up must be really out of touch with real america to have waited till now.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »

LOL!

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2018, 06:27:31 PM »
the only one i thought was that bad was the one where he talked about breaking a dollhouse over his sons head. None of it is worth him quitting the Oscars over or people getting up in arms. Social media is toxic.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2018, 10:54:03 PM »
What he said was wrong but he's apologized for it many times over. Is he supposed to never represent or host anything in the public eye ever again?

Online ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2018, 02:13:50 AM »
They were already struggling to find a host due to the fact it ONLY pays 6 figures for a few weeks of work.

The purity test people are forcing is just going to make it worse.

Yes, he said some dumb shit. He also just said it. He didn’t rape no one. He didn’t abuse his kids. He apologized and seemingly hasn’t made those jokes since.

If that’s not enough, people are going to stop growing and changing for the better.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2018, 02:43:03 AM »
What he said was wrong but he's apologized for it many times over. Is he supposed to never represent or host anything in the public eye ever again?

"Many times over"? Man, I must have the timeline of this thing completely wrong, because the way I read it, he got the gig, and then the tweets were brought up, and he was asked to apologize for them, and he refused. And then he found out that he could lose the gig, if he didn't apologize, and only after that did he actually issue an apology, an apology which amounted to "I wouldn't tell those jokes today, because people are too sensitive." Which, in my personal record book (s/o Stugotz), is not an actual apology.

Kindly correct me on where I'm getting the sequence of events wrong?

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2018, 02:44:13 AM »
Here is what Kevin Hart posted on his social media, after the backlash started, but before he lost the Oscars gig. Is this what an apology sounds like, to you?!

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2018, 02:49:19 AM »

Apparently he needed to apologize "many times over," plus one:

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2018, 03:00:22 AM »

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2018, 03:42:43 AM »

"Many times over"? Man, I must have the timeline of this thing completely wrong, because the way I read it, he got the gig, and then the tweets were brought up, and he was asked to apologize for them, and he refused. And then he found out that he could lose the gig, if he didn't apologize, and only after that did he actually issue an apology, an apology which amounted to "I wouldn't tell those jokes today, because people are too sensitive." Which, in my personal record book (s/o Stugotz), is not an actual apology.

This was brought up years ago and he apologized and opened up about why he was wrong back then. He felt like having done that, it was wrong for the oscars to bring it up again since he felt he already addressed the issue and was accountable for his actions.

• Admin
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2018, 04:10:58 AM »
I don't see the point in apologizing again for ten year old comments that everyone including the person who said them knows was wrong. 

When you look at what happened to James Gunn and now him, I would delete all my social media entirely and never interact with any of my fans ever again. That's going to be the ultimate outcome of these witch hunts.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2018, 04:20:46 AM »

This was brought up years ago and he apologized and opened up about why he was wrong back then. He felt like having done that, it was wrong for the oscars to bring it up again since he felt he already addressed the issue and was accountable for his actions.

Can you shoot me a link, then? Because the closest thing I've see was something from Rolling Stone, and what I read there didn't look anything like what I'd call an apology.

At any rate, I guess I think differently about it. To me, when you fuck up in a public space, then you need to be prepared to answer for your fuck up, publicly, until people stop asking you about it, especially if your job security, and/or opportunities for advancement/future opportunities depend on consumers having a warm, fuzzy feeling about you. Why? Because, when you fuck up in public, you don't get to decide when everybody else stops bringing it up, and using that shit against you. If you get asked to apologize a hundred times, you need to be prepared to apologize a hundred and one times, or either accept that whatever level you're on is as high a level as you get to reach. And it's not even like Kevin Hart is going to get 'canceled' over this, because Nobody Gets Canceled™, but I don't think that Kevin Hart takes a gig hosting the Oscars because he thinks the pinnacle of his career is going to be to continue to star in shitty movies that get terrible scores on Rotten Tomatoes.

There's also the thing that I don't actually believe that Kevin Hart grew, or learned, from shit. I think that he got older, and that's it; the passage of time is not synonymous with growth. If you call out your racist uncle for his racism, and he stops saying racist shit around you, does that mean he stopped being racist? Because this is the same thing, to me. Kevin Hart didn't grow from his experience, IMO, he just stopped including his homophobic bullshit in his act. He just got called out for some other problematic shit last week; that cowboys and Indians shit. Where's the growth, man?

To say nothing of the notion that my working theory is that Hart didn't even lose the gig for refusing to apologize, so much as he lost it for making the Academy look bad, by publicizing something that they ostensibly came to him about in private. The Oscars aren't for another two months; if he just says nothing, this probably blows over.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2018, 04:27:16 AM »
I don't see the point in apologizing again for ten year old comments that everyone including the person who said them knows was wrong. 

When you look at what happened to James Gunn and now him, I would delete all my social media entirely and never interact with any of my fans ever again. That's going to be the ultimate outcome of these witch hunts.

I agree with this but even then it's no so easy. When it's out there, it's out there. There's no escaping it. If we all deleted our old TSM accounts, I'm sure some poster can dig up the stupid shit I wrote back when I was 18-20.

The best solution would be to pull a Keanu Reeves and just never hold any social media accounts or set-up any fan appearances.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2018, 04:58:25 AM »

Incidentally, tweets like this are also why Kevin Hart needs to continue to apologize. Because there are other people who still think like this, and are going to use what he said to co-sign and otherwise attempt to normalize their fuckery.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2018, 05:00:05 AM »
The best solution would be to pull a Keanu Reeves and just never hold any social media accounts or set-up any fan appearances.

Alternatively, you could pull a Will Smith, and wait until you're, like, 50 before you ever get on social media, and spend time getting a handle on how it works, before you ever actually say anything on there.

• KOAB
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2018, 07:38:21 AM »

• Admin
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »
I also got from this that if you're black and have ever said anything bad, you're going to be treated far worse than a white guy who said similar or worse things.

Case in point: every joke ever made about some guy being into dudes. Alec Baldwin (former Oscar host who got that gig after sending his child awful voicemail messages) too. What he said was stupid, but at the same time, it was targeted towards his son, and I think that's the only person he really needed to apologize to.

I don't feel bad for Kevin Hart because I don't think being unable to host an awards show isn't something to feel bad about, but I do think that people should take his comments for what they were. They were homophobic jokes made a long time ago, back when people thought it was still okay to say and feel things that they shouldn't feel. Considering it hadn't happened recently I think people should have been able to move forward, but we don't live in that society anymore.

I also think people should be careful not to speak up for an entire group. Not every gay person is mad about some bad jokes said seven years ago. Obviously, some people certainly are, but I think there are a lot of other things to be more angry about. I think that if you say something stupid, it shouldn't follow you around for your whole life. Your actions should though.

• Admin
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »
Another one of my favorite things is the way some of the people who wanted Hart removed are asking for him to replaced by people who have made bad jokes. For example:

Dave Chappelle - the guy who kept transgender jokes in his routine at least until last year. Maybe still has them.

Ricky Gervais - same thing, about Caitlyn Jenner though. Also made pedo jokes a while back.

Tiffany Haddish - do you want a big ass list? She said she wanted to work with Cosby and drink his rape juice, that's the one that stands out the most.

Then the one who would rather steer clear because of this:

The Rock - Kevin Hart's friend. Never gonna happen now!

I just don't think it really matters who hosts one of these shows. You can find bad shit about everyone if you look hard enough, and I think anyone gets to pick and choose what's bad. Most jokes are bad and that's the nature of being a comedian.

Offline Hawk 34

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2018, 10:16:56 AM »
Just with the Rock, don’t you have to drag out all his homophobic and sexist material from his rasslin days? 

Just stick with Kimmel.   Apparently The Man Show wasn’t offensive enough.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2018, 10:52:33 AM »
I could have sworn that I read about this story in the past and he apologized for it. Maybe I was wrong. I'm trying to find something but the internet is flooded with recent articles related to this.

I haven't cared about the Oscars since the 90s and I doubt Hart does either. For me this is more about setting a standard that will rob a lot of young up-and-coming comedians of their chance to shine, on any major platform.

I mean I know they're talking about publicly apologizing. But they're apologizing for very different things and this headline/article acts like they need to do the same amount of apologizing. Also, Harvey denied everything he did. Also, he raped, not tweeted. C'mon man.

• Admin
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »
https://variety.com/2018/film/awards/oscars-academy-kevin-hart-replacement-1203084598/

The Academy is apparently so afraid to pick someone due to things in people's pasts that they may not pick anyone.

Offline Hawk 34

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2018, 09:30:01 AM »
We have reached a point where Jimmy Kimmel is too edgy to host an award show. 

Offline Wrestlecuck

• www.wrestlecuck.com/forums
  • Kreese
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2018, 10:41:22 AM »
Sage Northcutt for Oscars host imo

Offline strummer

« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »
I was thinking Tiffany Haddish would be the replacement but don't know if she has any past transgressions in her stand up

• KOAB
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2018, 11:22:48 AM »
CGI Billy Crystal isn't even good enough

Offline brocklock

• brock lock
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2018, 12:32:20 PM »
I was thinking Tiffany Haddish would be the replacement but don't know if she has any past transgressions in her stand up

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/tiffany-haddish-disturbing-bill-cosby-juice-comment-was-a-bad-joke-195141/

This will probably pop up again, if she gets chosen.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2018, 12:48:15 PM »
Please welcome your 2019 Oscars host, "Weird" Al Yankovic!