Author Topic: Cult and Exploitation Trash.  (Read 1013 times)

Description:

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • John Vernon as The Mayor
Cult and Exploitation Trash.
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:04:30 PM »
There's no better timepiece than cult movies. They capture the era they were made better than a lot of other types of movies, I think. Let's talk about trash, be it morally bankrupt or under the radar, or both.

We had a conversation in chat the other day about Pam Grier. Coffy is the shit. I'll always have a measure of love for the Bird Birdcage, though. As fun to watch as she is attractive.

Online Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
Re: Cult and Exploitation Trash.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »
I'm in agreement with the first paragraph. Cult and exploitation movies are usually made with making a quick buck in mind, spot course they reflect their time periods better than more timeless films.

Gotta show some love to Andy Sidaris. He knew what his audience wanted even better than Lloyd Kaufman.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:25:07 PM »
Herschell Gordon Lewis ftw.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 06:03:01 AM »
"Morally bankrupt" eh? Clearly (if you know where my name comes from) I'm a John Waters fan. Female Trouble is one of my top ten favorite movies of all time. His later stuff is mainstream but his early shit is pure trash. I love it.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 08:11:21 AM »
I have way too many exploitation trailer collections than I should but I just can't find myself actually watching these movies all the way through.  I'll just appreciate them through MST3K, Rifftrax and Best of the Worst.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
John Waters is the answer to any question, really.

I have way too many exploitation trailer collections than I should but I just can't find myself actually watching these movies all the way through.  I'll just appreciate them through MST3K, Rifftrax and Best of the Worst.

A of times I have to go in relatively cold, because at least then I know something's going to surprise me. But then there's stuff where I just NEED to see it because it sounds so fucking weird. The Sinful Dwarf, for instance. That title immediately had my interest.

Offline strummer

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 08:42:45 AM »
Never realized Divine died a week after the release of Hair Spray (while shooting an ep. of Married with Children).  That's like... really damn sad

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 03:10:54 PM »
Divine was, for sure, about to become a mainstream success. I wonder how big he could have gotten. It predates RuPaul's success by a few years. Divine did a lot of things - taking acting roles as man and a woman as well as singing and a fun stage show that mixed comedy with music. It's an amazing life story with a sad ending.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »
Divine was supposed to be cast as the woman in the dream on the airplane at the start of Freddy's Dead. There were a lot of crew members who worked on John Waters movies working on the picture to help keep costs down.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
Ah, that explains why I saw the son of a Dreamlander listed as the propmaster of Freddy's Dead. And don't ask how I know/retained this information.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
I actually remember that and feeling let down it wasn't just a straight up Waters' Nightmare movie.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »

I was digging this fuck outta.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 03:51:31 PM »
One day I might be able to watch more than seven minutes of August Underground. That's the only series that I don't fun or funny out all these things

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 10:17:42 AM »
Anyone accidentally have more than one copy of something? Thanks to public domain box sets I get given, plus MST3K, I think I have at least five copies of the Killer Shrews. Feelings are mixed.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
Race With the Devil or Road Games?

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 09:54:43 PM »

I'm going to enter Robert Altman's obscure surrealist dark comedy Brewster McCloud into the discussion here. I don't want to reveal too much of the story, but Bud Cort (from Harold & Maude) plays a weird loner kid who lives in the Houston Astrodome and has been working on building a pair of wings that will allow him to fly. Shelley Duvall makes her film debut as the love interest who causes Brewster's downfall. This was supposedly Altman's favorite and it is as bizarre as one would expect from such a film. Good example of a cult film reflecting the time period too; I feel like it is necessary to have a good understanding of what late '60s/early '70s American culture was like to appreciate Brewster McCloud.
Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 10:47:19 PM »

Strait-Jacket is low-budget drive-in fare from 1964. Saw it on TV one afternoon over 30 years ago and it freaked me out. I downloaded and watched it for the first time since then a while back and found it thoroughly enjoyable. Directed by William Castle of the original House on Haunted Hill and 13 Ghosts. Written by Psycho's Robert Bloch. Joan Crawford masticates the scenery and other cast members include Leif Erickson, George Kennedy, and a young Lee Majors.
Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 05:56:16 AM »
I remember seeing Brewster McCloud on TCM Underground a long time ago. I should revisit it. Advise everyone to watch TCM Underground, anyway, if it's still around. Good primer for a lot of things cult and horror.

I'll watch anything William Castle. Throw in Joan Crawford and Lee Majors and I'm painfully down.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 03:06:25 PM »

It isn't even that good. I feel misled.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 09:01:42 AM »
The original Last House on the Left is one of the very few movies to really bother me. I think it's the radical tonal shifts that fuck with my brain, making the fucked up parts more fucked up. Still, though. I need to shower after watching it.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 09:16:34 AM »

I don't know what I was expecting. I hadn't actually seen the trailer before now (have seen the movie), but holy shit. Masterful.

Movie itself is everything you expect, with the day-for-nights and Count Freddie Mercury and all the garbage you can make for probably $500. The only issue --real actual issue-- I have is that it feels like it completely exploits a visibly impaired and near-death Lon Chaney Jr (in his last movie). Maybe they were trying for some "Ed Wood doing favors for Bela Lugosi" thing, but it's fucked up and feels really wrong watching him just waste away, an icon like him.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »

Oh yes.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 10:00:53 AM »
The weird epidemic of movies trying to be cult movies has to stop. It doesn't work when you're actively trying to do it, movies just fall into it. I can appreciate the intent, to a degree, but it's so forced. Impetus for this is how, while I enjoyed Hobo With a Shotgun, it was absolutely trying too hard to be one of those movies.

Unrelated but I got a friend of mine to watch Salo on a long flight from SF to St. Louis and they haven't spoken to me since. Personal sleaze victory.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 11:30:46 AM »
I love Freaks the more I see it. The "One of us!" dinner is one of the most iconic movie moments to me. I'm a big proponent of the crueler villains getting the exact punishment and ending they have coming (a MAJOR problem a lot of these movies have, to say nothing of "real" movies, for lack of a better term), fucked up as Freaks gets. 9/10 on the Ramsay Bolton revenge scale.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »
The original Last House on the Left is one of the very few movies to really bother me. I think it's the radical tonal shifts that fuck with my brain, making the fucked up parts more fucked up. Still, though. I need to shower after watching it.

I've got this cunning plan to watch this sooner than later because it isn't like I'm able to do a lot more, but I figure it's something to write about somewhere.

It also has one of the best trailers ever, in my opinion:

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 06:49:45 PM »

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
Oh shit. That's the stuff dreams are made of. All that and Peter fucking Cushing in a Hammer movie.Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Online Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 03:01:37 AM »
The weird epidemic of movies trying to be cult movies has to stop. It doesn't work when you're actively trying to do it, movies just fall into it. I can appreciate the intent, to a degree, but it's so forced. Impetus for this is how, while I enjoyed Hobo With a Shotgun, it was absolutely trying too hard to be one of those movies.
I both agree and don't. Most of what we get is Sharknado crap, but Hobo With a Shotgun is such perfect grindhouse pastiche that I can't say a bad word about it. Also, Turbo Kid would fall under this umbrella, and that's one of the most routinely entertaining movies I've seen in years.
Unrelated but I got a friend of mine to watch Salo on a long flight from SF to St. Louis and they haven't spoken to me since. Personal sleaze victory.
You BASTARD.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 10:16:49 AM »
I really like Hobo With a Shotgun, but it just tries way too hard in just enough ways. I think a big problem I have --and it's just a product of the times more than anything-- is that it's just too well made for what it's going for. It just feels too modern from a film-making sense. I'd make the leap to loving it if it wasn't made in glorious HD and surround sound and all that. I don't hate it, I like it a great deal. It's hard to explain, but it seems like it's made more to capture a modern post-Tarantino audience than to make money by being what it really is. That's a horrible explanation, but it just feels really off.

Salo Friend still isn't talking to me. All I did was make a suggestion. Criterion Release! They're never wrong!

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 08:39:19 AM »
Does The Greasy Strangler fall into exploitation?
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »
Haven't seen it, but it looks like fun. Actually that's a good question: any noteworthy or otherwise movies worth mentioning that fall under the cult banner in recent years you enjoy? I fully admit to being out of touch, myself.

NoCalMike, unrelated, but I'm 99% sure we've either met or have mutual friends.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 06:47:42 AM »
Haven't seen it, but it looks like fun. Actually that's a good question: any noteworthy or otherwise movies worth mentioning that fall under the cult banner in recent years you enjoy? I fully admit to being out of touch, myself.

NoCalMike, unrelated, but I'm 99% sure we've either met or have mutual friends.

It's quite possible.  You can send me a PM of who you think might be our mutual friends if you want and we can figure it out.
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 09:20:02 AM »
I actually will when I remember. I have no idea what you look like, but I just get the sense the Trash Film Orgy folk might've been involved. Do they still do TFO?

Back on track, Larry Clark came up when I was in chat the other day. I don't understand how people thought he made real movies. Kids, Ken Park, and Bully are some top-tier exploitation, I think. Bully is even one I find unintentionally hilarious, but that says more about me, probably. Lotta praise for that guy, though. Also, as mentioned in chat, how he's not been named as a sexual predator is a little surprising, because dude.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2018, 11:01:16 AM »

This is fucking tremendous. I very much enjoyed it and it deserves much, much, much more of a following.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 07:42:00 AM »
I remember first seeing Bully as a teen. I thought it was the most disturbing thing ever but I hadn't watched many shamelessly crude flicks up until that point. I don't think I've ever watched Kids in full but definitely remember seeing Wassup Rockers as it came out around the same time as Lords of Dogtown. I don't really have any strong opinions on it.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 01:10:31 PM »
Bully just had so much unintentionally funny stuff for me. It had some fucked up stuff as well, but it all got really undone for me. Why is every scene of Rachel Miner alone a comical nude scene? Why did there have to be a weird lingering shot of Bijou Philips' crotch in denim cutoffs at one point? Michael Pitt (I think. One of the guys from the US Funny Games) has his big violent outburst in an arcade, with a shot to make sure you notice he was playing Mortal Kombat. Just weird stuff I found entirely too amusing, said as someone who probably is an asshole.

Kids, for many reasons, is a total exploitation movie. Had there been ANY consequences for the worst people's actions, it wouldn't be as bad, but that didn't happen. That's kind of an unforgivable sin and ruins it. Telly is also Sociopath McLovin, but that's the one "upside."

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 01:12:55 PM »
Radically shifting gears, but Shatner has made me want to learn Esperanto. Just enough to get by.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 03:10:34 AM »
Has David Cronenberg's "Crash" been mentioned? Another WTF movie for me when I first saw it as a kid.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 07:46:57 AM »

Mandingo is one of the trashiest piece of shit movies I've ever seen. Naturally, I own it on both VHS and DVD. I even found the book and it's twice as bad. Cast includes Ken Norton, Perry King from Class of 1984, Susan George from Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, Paul Benedict from The Jeffersons, and poor James Mason having to fake his way through a Southern accent. Produced by none other than Dino De Laurentiis.

I came up with a Mandingo drinking game: take a shot of whiskey every time someone drops an N-bomb or shotgun a beer every time a character uses bad grammar. I wouldn't advise anyone to actually try this because it would probably kill you. I made a trio of SHARP skinheads watch Mandingo once; it actually gave one of them nightmares and I've made fun of him for it ever since.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »
Good call. De Laurentiis also put out at least two of the Death Wish movies as well, so he knew what he was going for. But I don't think I've ever seen Mandingo in full. I think it was on TCM Underground, like so many of these are. I don't know if I could make it through that, honestly. James Mason looks miserable. Thank god Yellowbeard was in his future (which is a cult film unto itself.)

Crash made a friend of mine go full radio silent for a week and a half because they were getting nightmares.

And just because I think this nails it, Herschell Gordon Lewis' definition of an exploitation movie:

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 09:22:37 PM »

Public domain movies get lost in the shuffle.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2018, 12:28:23 AM »

Lemme bring worlds together and make TSM grate again. This is way, way better than it looks, and both Sheen and Estevez are good (Sheen's really good, better than the movie deserves). Story of the famous Mitchell Brothers, from the SF Bay Area and working in the Tenderloin. Behind the Green Door became one of the most iconic pornographic films of the time. I'm very surprised at the lack of true cult fanfare for this movie, to be honest. Everyone was memeing the HIV right out of Sheen's tiger blood for moooooonths and never mentioned this. Seems like it'd be perfect for those people at the time. Even with both the Mitchells --and Marilyn Chambers-- dead, I'd have thought more curiosity would pop up. But eh, not to be. Worth a watch when it shows up, but not much beyond that.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2018, 06:43:03 AM »
I have an ex who used to work at the O'Farrell Theater in the '80s. She said Jim and Artie Mitchell were two of the best bosses she ever worked for on any job, let alone strip clubs.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 08:17:19 AM »
Michael Berryman lives very close to my older sisters and is apparently doing work to help out after the fires in Northern California. I'm trying to get on this. I'll fly home just to hang with that dude.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2019, 02:24:37 PM »

I'm interested.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2019, 06:53:27 AM »

This is the worst movie I think I've ever seen. Poor, poor Lon Chaney Jr. Fuck.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2019, 09:12:24 AM »

I own Hardcore on VHS, but found an out-of-print DVD yesterday. Not sure where I put Hardcore on my list of best '70s films, but it is up there with Taxi Driver, The French Connection, Death Wish, Joe, Marathon Man, and all the gritty classics of the decade one could name.

Offline Gary

• Corrosive Hallucinations
  • CXF Writer
  • Corrosive Hallucinations
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2019, 09:32:52 AM »

I own Hardcore on VHS, but found an out-of-print DVD yesterday. Not sure where I put Hardcore on my list of best '70s films, but it is up there with Taxi Driver, The French Connection, Death Wish, Joe, Marathon Man, and all the gritty classics of the decade one could name.
We were robbed of a "Big Dick Blaque" spin off.

I own the Twilight Time Blu, but I'm hoping someone gives this a special edition release down the line.

"The Godfather: Part Iraq" (2004) In this 4th installment of the Godfather series, the godfathers head to iraq to settle the score, of 9/11.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2019, 10:58:34 AM »
Wow, I didn't know they'd re-released Hardcore on Blu-Ray, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. How does the transfer look?

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »
To my shame I've never seen Hardcore, but not for lack of trying. It always sounded like a legitimately interesting movie and I could never find it.

I wish my money coincided with all these releases.

I'm probably going to watch this later, if I can't sleep. It is the exact opposite of 2019. Trailer does have a chicken getting its head cut off, so just a disclaimer.