Author Topic: UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya  (Read 400 times)

Description:

Offline Lord of The Curry

UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya
« on: March 02, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
Between Yana, Dern, Yoder and Cat I don't think it can be disputed that UFC 222 is the hottest card of all time.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
Re: UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 03:44:19 AM »
Ive been following Dern on the BJJ scene since 2010ish and she only started having this accent when she got into MMA. It’s all a work.

DTF

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 03:45:44 AM »
Dern's been getting hype in the BJJ community for years. Her dad is Megaton Dias, a multiple-time world champion in various BJJ competitions. In fact, he's the only BJJ athlete to have competed in every iteration of the IBJJF world championships, from the first one to the 2017 version. That's kinda crazy.

Mackenzie was born the year before the first one, so she's been soaking in BJJ greatness from birth. Her MMA record is spotless so far, and people are hoping she's gonna be another of the legendary BJJ practitioners that dominated MMA. She has said as much herself:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761482-the-next-rousey-mackenzie-dern-has-the-look-the-skill-and-the-determination

"I think I was born to fight, to inspire girls to do martial arts," she says. "Like Royce Gracie, Demian Maia, B.J. Penn, all these people who came from jiu-jitsu and made it bigger. I want to take jiu-jitsu to the big stage and be able to win."

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »
Lots of people are dumping on this card, and I guess it deserves that, but I'm hyped as fuck.

You have the best female fighter ever.
The #2 and #3 FW's squaring off.
Weed strain dork vs. Laotian banger who got robbed.
GOATLOVSKI VS STRUVE WHO DOESN'T WANNA SEE THIS HUH WHO DOESN'T
Return of Alpha Cat
Dern

Prelims are mostly junk but I'm ready for this shit.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »
I actually think this card owns. The main event is a classic Hogan squash match but that's fine. Here's a quick preview, an article of sorts:

Stamann is coming off a win against the most hyped prospect in the sport. He has a solid, well-rounded game and looks to be a legit prospect himself. Caraway and his thoughts on the public nature of his relationship with Miesha are laughable:

The spotlight that was constantly on their relationship took its toll, which is part of the reason why Caraway stepped away from public life after their breakup.

"Obviously, Miesha and I were one of the most public relationships, not only in MMA but in all of sports,"

This should be a good test for Stamann and a barnburner either way, as Caraway is really skilled on the ground and incredibly tough.

CB Dollaway vs Lombard is the battle of overhyped MMA prospects from 2008. Them being on this card in that spot is weird, but totally MMA also. These guys both fight with no IQ and throw heavy leather and underuse their legit grappling pedigrees. I'm really curious to see how the grappling matches up against each other, especially at this weight.

Dodson is really good, could have been known as a great if DJ wasn't around. People know about him already. Munhoz I don't know much about, but he's only at +130 so he's obviously a legitimate challenge here.

I already hyped up the Dern fight. Dariush needs a win to be relevant. Guys he beat like Vick are going to overtake him in the rankings. He's fighting a scrapper who he's supposedly much better than, so it should be a fun beatdown.

Cat is P4P one of the most exciting fighters, but she had a rough go of it her last two fights. She seems to be in a better place mentally after the personal hell she went through. But she's fighting a really good prospect who seems to be a legit title contender, so this fight should be hot fire.

Do I even need to say anything about Arlovski/Struve? Naturally everyone will cheer for Arlovski. Any old school guys, especially those that were once champion which a lot of people forget about Goatlovski, will have fans cheering them hard in the twilights of their careers. Struve is someone that the UFC overhyped and here he gets a chance to finish off another legend way past their prime, but I think Arlovski is still a better boxer at this point and Struve's chin is gone too, so I'd go with Arlovski.

O'Malley has had the underground hype for a while, but I've only recently just heard of him. Soukhamthath is a banger who doesn't stop moving forward, this should be a good clash of styles. He has taken rounds off in the past, but he seems motivated here. Watching O'Malley's highlights, he seems like a technical striker who throws crazy shots to KO people. I would like to see if he utilizes grappling in this matchup, or if he can deal with the pressure that Soukhamthath brings.

Ortega vs. Edgar is the ultimate "Up and Comer vs Established Vet" matchups. Frankie has dispatched a few of those in his time like Yair, Stephans, and Cub. But this is different because Ortega is better than those guys and already a veteran in terms of his cage presence. He's also super fucking good on the ground. I could easily see Frankie Boxing him up, but I could also see Ortega getting wild in a scramble and catching him in something. This is one of those high-level fights where it really feels like anything can happen, and it's a fresh matchup. THE PINNACLE OF THE SPORT

I don't know anything about Cyborg's opponent but looking at the odds I don't think I need to. This is like if Vince's main event fell through and he was desperate and called Hogan to fill in. But Hogan being Hogan held him up and made him promise him a super squash match and a big paycheck. In fact, that's probably what happened.

Watch this card.

• KOAB
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 09:12:24 AM »
Mega Ton Diaz is a cool fucking name, man.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 11:09:29 AM »
If any of the homies know of a reliable spot to watch this a pm would be appreciated, the stream I'm on is brutal.

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »
If any of the homies know of a reliable spot to watch this a pm would be appreciated, the stream I'm on is brutal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMAStreams/comments/81r92t/event_threadufc_222_cyborg_vs_kunitskaya_1000pm_et/

tons of links here.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »
well that turned out to be a good beatdown. Dariush's chin is wrecked.

This whole card has been hot fire.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 12:15:32 PM »
The thing I'm worried about wrt Dern is that she seems short and with a short reach for her weight class. We'll see how her career goes.

Offline NoCalMike

• Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
    • EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 01:45:06 PM »
Cat got rag dolled.  Ring rust definitely seemed to affect her.  Her cardio kind of sucked too.  Did the sport pass her by all the while she has been injured?
Get your TV Horror Fix w/the Podcast EVIL EPISODES! Listen at:
http://www.legionpodcasts.com/
http://www.horrorphilia.com

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 02:53:00 PM »
O'Malley is a rock star.

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 03:12:09 PM »
T CITY

Offline HSJ

• misogynist at heart
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 03:12:56 PM »
Holy shit.

Ortega is my boy and I’ve been pushing hard for him but I hate to see that happen to a guy I’ve looked up to for so long like Frankie. I guess Ortega vs Holloway is next.

DTF

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
Ortega damn.  The elbow, the uppercut, the finish. So calm during it all too. 

• Admin
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 03:37:15 PM »
Ortega vs. Holloway, DC vs. Stipe, Stipe vs. Ngannou, and Khabib vs. Tony in the same year. I wasn't ready for all this.

Offline NoCalMike

• EVIL EPISODES PODCAST!
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
How many 135lb fighters does UFC want to throw at Cyborg?  Looks like Nunes is up next.  She is a more accurate puncher than CYborg, but not sure how much her power will transfer moving up to 145lb.

UFC should try to make the Megan Anderson fighter happen again or at least starting doing more to find 145lb fighters. They are out there.

• Admin
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »
My house blew up when Ortega knocked Edgar OFF HIS FEET.

• Admin
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
Just think about the beasts in this weight class that aren't even ranked. Volkanovski and Zabit are comin man.

• Admin
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 05:38:30 AM »
Cyborg did 210-260k PPV buys for a PPV where she faced a literal nobody.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »
While the current P4P king put up a cool 115K in his last headliner.

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 05:27:05 AM »

DC's reaction to Edgar getting finished.

Offline Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 05:44:09 AM »
I think Joe's face is frozen in that expression at this point.