Author Topic: The Jim Cornette Zone  (Read 1487 times)

Description:

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
The Jim Cornette Zone
« on: March 07, 2018, 08:01:51 AM »
Searched to see if we had a Cornette Megathread.  Found threads on the Russo feud or other rants individually. Here's a place for some Corny fun that may not need its own thread or get buried elsewhere.  Like his Twitter exchange with Chuck Taylor

Invalid Tweet IDInvalid Tweet ID
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Avid TOXIE Enthusiast

• Laz
Re: The Jim Cornette Zone
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:15:03 AM »
If you can't get on board with Chuck Taylor then fuck you.

Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »
Cornette on the recent Sami Callihan/Eddie Edwards bat incident from IMPACT:

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 08:38:41 AM »
Cornette's podcast is pretty fun. If he's talking about any topic prior to 2005, it makes for an enjoyable listen.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »
I usually find him entertaining in some way.  Crazy as hell.  Don't agree with him on all.  I love Chuck Taylor.  Lean toward him on the Sami thing because something just seems sleazy about the guy.  Don't remember if we posted anywhere here when he pulled his dick out at a Bruce Prichard live show

[img width=800

• Laz
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:57:01 AM »
Nearly all of the talk about Sami is ignoring that Eddie moved the chair and that he's done similar spots throughout his entire career without incident.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »
Sami is known to be one of the safer death match wrestlers around. It was a freak accident and now everyone is freaking out over it. I love that Sami is keeping kafaybe though.

Cornette can still be a great on-air character, as he was for 2 minutes with Impact a few months back, and his stories, pre-2005 are great. But anything new, he's just "get off my lawn."
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 11:07:55 AM »
Cornette is a sad old man who doesn't get the business anymore and is pretty hypocritical in the stuff he shits on.

Offline Teenage Mutant King Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »
Chuck Taylor was mildly misogynistic to my friends while doing commentary at a Beyond show and for that, he should die.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 11:45:07 AM »

I'm a long time fan (dating back to about 2000), and he's one of the more important wrestlers for me. I started to get into the indies around 2000 and I bought my first issue of PWI. I saw his name, and it stuck out to me because I always loved the Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers. Because of that, I started to follow his career and got big into the indies. Even when I fell out of it for a while in the mid 2000s, I still would check the news sites to see what he was up to.

He's one of the best guys to follow on Twitter.

Offline Gert

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »
Cornette is a sad old man who doesn't get the business anymore and is pretty hypocritical in the stuff he shits on.

So I finally listened to the podcast about Sami/Edwards. I really enjoy the Cornette podcast, but I really go back to the podcast before Thanksgiving when he was feuding with either the Bucks or Joey Ryan. While I understood some of his points the second half of the podcast was talking to Fuller, who was talking about his father wrestling in I think the 30's or 40's for 45 minutes and I think that encapsulates JC.

I think Cornette could actually be a great agent still based on how he talked about the spots in the Sami/Eddie match. Maybe part of a booking committee with some people checking him. That said, his soapbox about how much money could still be made if there were territories is wrong on two levels. First, he was always a part of a hot act and was probably mostly in one of the four biggest territories all the time in the 80's. So while he and the Midnights made great money (and deservedly so), the money would not be there and he is speaking as a Top 5% earner so I think he has blind spots. Second, this thing called the Internet would make territories somewhat obsolete. Not that they would not earn some money at live events, but if I hear about this great talent in Florida, I am going to Google search him/her from Ohio and be caught up on their work and spend money with VOD/OTT services before they even sniff coming to my area.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »
Chuck Taylor was mildly misogynistic to my friends while doing commentary at a Beyond show and for that, he should die.

I'm sure they all deserved it. Chuck Taylor can do no wrong.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Online Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »
I love Corny, listen to everything he does, I've seen nearly all of his shoots etc. That being said... it's amusing that he speaks well of the territories making money for the guys when he came from Jerry Jarrett, who starved out his talent not named Jerry Lawler.
He spoke this week about something that kind of blew my fantasy booking mind: Rick Rubin was willing to pay Ric Flair 10 grand a month to work Knoxville once every 4 weeks for SMW. Corny was supposed to try and convince Flair that taking that cash+ whatever he could get from Japan would be better than jumping to the WWF. Corny knew Flair wanted to work a lot of dates and live the wrestler life though and would not take the offer. Flair did ask Corny to come to the WWF as a Kentucky Colonel and be his manager. 

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 03:28:48 AM »
Hmmm... that Flair/Rubin story is interesting.  Never heard that one.  Bruce Prichard indicates Vince was a big fan of Corny and wanted him long before he got him and Corny really only joined WWF at the time to promote Smokey Mountain.  He showed up to the show to do SMW stuff and Vince kinda just told him to go out there with Yokozuna.

Also, Corny will be the guest for WWE Photo Shoot on WWE Network this Monday.  We'll see how that goes.  I haven't watched that show yet so not sure the format or how interesting it can get with Cornette.
[img width=800

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 03:34:12 AM »
It’s a decent show. They just show a picture and then the wrestler talks about the moment. The ones with Miz and Cesaro were really good but even the Bischoff and Charlotte ones are good.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 05:42:00 AM »

[img width=800

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 08:56:10 AM »
Fun note: literally the first search result on YouTube for Stormtrooper and SMW I got was this:

Nothing like the fiery Confederate babyface to cheer for against the Nazi.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
It's a total shame he won't form another promotion in the south. I want to see if his ideas would legitimately draw in this era and who would work for him.

Offline BorneAgain

• One Cocky Cracka
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 10:18:15 AM »
People have said Cornette's hypocritical of criticizing Omega when he did stuff like this in SMW, though I'm sure he'd probably point out neither himself nor the promotion's referee in a turtle costume were top stars or were supposed to be legitimate competition on the roster.

(Incidentally its the first footage I've ever actually seen of Hildebrand as Kowabunga; Did the gimmick better than Chris Champion at least)

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 11:43:47 AM »
It's a total shame he won't form another promotion in the south. I want to see if his ideas would legitimately draw in this era and who would work for him.

Well SMW wasn't able to draw (aside from a couple big shows) so I doubt he could now either when his ideas are even more out of touch.

• Laz
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 12:55:42 PM »
Corny would definitely defend his worse booking decisions by either deflecting blame or saying he kept the ME serious, but then others can say Omega is offered ME spots because HE DRAWS FUCKING MONEY.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2018, 12:57:34 PM »
When Omega showed up at the ROH PPV last night, he got the biggest pop of the night, by far. There's a reason he's in the ME, no matter what Cornette wants to believe.

• Laz
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 12:59:27 PM »
Any time I find myself siding with Corny, I remember he booked an ROH World title program around Dan Severn, completely ignoring that Severn doesn't mean shit to the world of pro wrestling.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 04:29:44 AM »
Any time I find myself siding with Corny, I remember he booked an ROH World title program around Dan Severn, completely ignoring that Severn doesn't mean shit to the world of pro wrestling.

Take that back; he was one of the longest reigning NWA champions.

Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 02:50:27 AM »
[img width=800

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2018, 05:21:47 AM »
Indy scene needs someone running around in a bad suit and a tennis racket shouting his tweets at fans. Memes E. Cornette.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 05:51:00 AM »
Indy scene needs someone running around in a bad suit and a tennis racket shouting his tweets at fans. Memes E. Cornette.

TAKE MY MONEY
[img width=800

• Laz
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 03:53:51 PM »
I'm bringing this here so we don't derail the Twitter thread.
The biggest point I'd disagree with Cornette on is his notion that because guys in PWG are doing wacky comedy that exposes the business that wrestling companies everywhere are negatively affected. To me wresting companies with different tones and approaches to the medium are in some ways an outgrowth of the different regional styles from the territory era. There's a kind of reality in Lucha Underground that works for them but differs entirely for something like ROH which in turn contrasts with something like TNA. Now staying consistent within one company makes complete sense, as having completely different tones and kayfabe realities within one show or roster completely kills suspension of disbelief. Its something WWE struggles with a lot as they shift from complete silliness in a gimmick match to serious competition to vague work shoot promos which make it unclear as to what's "real" or not.
Hell yes to all of this. Territories are dead, and the one that took the thrown was the "dull" power move one.

You know, that one where Corny was a major part of the booking team during the years they were closest to bankruptcy?

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 05:59:24 AM »
[img width=800

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 06:39:45 AM »
I imagine him sitting in a cellar, under a bare bulb, wearing a Heavenly Body cape and his face crusty from the frosting of the cake he shoved himself into. Pictures of Vince Russo on the wall with the eyes cut out, ticket stubs and programs from 1988 becoming a Pepe Silvia map of how the business has been ruined and who all is to blame. Every tweet verges from anger to senility, and every time he gets an alert and his Morodor tone goes off on his iPhone 2, he falls further and further off the scaffold of reality.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
Not to white knight for Cornette here but are we really looking at the Curtain Call a business-changing moment now?
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »
According to revisionist WWE history it is
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Online Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
I imagine him sitting in a cellar, under a bare bulb, wearing a Heavenly Body cape and his face crusty from the frosting of the cake he shoved himself into. Pictures of Vince Russo on the wall with the eyes cut out, ticket stubs and programs from 1988 becoming a Pepe Silvia map of how the business has been ruined and who all is to blame. Every tweet verges from anger to senility, and every time he gets an alert and his Morodor tone goes off on his iPhone 2, he falls further and further off the scaffold of reality.

His gimmick has him pushing six figures a year for sitting at home.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2018, 02:16:28 PM »
Kayfabe.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2018, 06:22:40 AM »
[img width=800

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2018, 05:06:28 AM »
Haven't listened myself but on Cornette's latest podcast, it sounds Cornette was complimentary of All In, the Bucks, Cody and Omega and even stated that pro wrestling needed them.

Sounds like the only typical Cornette reaction was to the Joey Ryan stuff.
[img width=800

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2018, 05:25:20 AM »
Haven't listened myself but on Cornette's latest podcast, it sounds Cornette was complimentary of All In, the Bucks, Cody and Omega and even stated that pro wrestling needed them.

Sounds like the only typical Cornette reaction was to the Joey Ryan stuff.

Good, I agree with him because that shit is TRASH

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2018, 05:28:38 AM »
I can't stand Cornette and his entire act but the Joey Ryan stuff was just as bad to me as the worst WWE comedy.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
I can't stand Cornette and his entire act but the Joey Ryan stuff was just as bad to me as the worst WWE comedy.

I'm surprised Dama wasn't upset about it cause he was with his son. If I had a daughter, I'd be upset.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2018, 01:29:13 PM »
lmao y'all are Helen Lovejoy'ing this just a bit fucking much. You must be living in some Amish backwoods if you'd worry for your children seeing that. There is more graphic stuff in a grade school sex ed class than a penis outfit made out of windbreaker material.

I'm almost half convinced that most of you are hating on it just to be contrarian because this was nothing compared to stuff WWE has churned out over the years. Not even close.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2018, 01:36:19 PM »
lmao y'all are Helen Lovejoy'ing this just a bit fucking much. You must be living in some Amish backwoods if you'd worry for your children seeing that. There is more graphic stuff in a grade school sex ed class than a penis outfit made out of windbreaker material.

I'm almost half convinced that most of you are hating on it just to be contrarian because this was nothing compared to stuff WWE has churned out over the years. Not even close.

I don't care about the parts in the first line. Dick jokes are for 15 year olds imo, the target audience for that stuff is people that age. Just because WWE made tons of bad shit doesn't mean this isn't shit too. They're both shit.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2018, 02:03:04 PM »
I'd be embarrassed for my kids to see it because it was lame not because they don't know what a dick is or something. The segment wasn't offensive to me in that sense at all. It was just really dumb. I'm not trying to be contrarian. People have different senses of humor. I guess. If you liked that thats cool. To me that was just as bad as Old Day, Katie Vick or Vince pulling stuff out of JR's ass. It is what it is. People are going to like what they like. I don't think its the end of the world.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2018, 02:27:09 PM »
I've actually been thinking since this whole thing became the talking point of the show. The only thing I can compare it to, in my head, was the Miller Light Catfight Girls, where the big segment involving them ate a match worth's of time out of huge show. The cock shit wasted that kind of time on a show that had a very strict time limit that they had to have been watching like a hawk. It was just as stupid in practice, ate up time on an event that couldn't spare much time, and meant absolutely nothing. I'm a Joey Ryan defender, but that was just a waste of time that didn't work. Again, of course, I wasn't there. I'm speaking as someone who just watched the show and not an audience member.

The ten minutes of cock cost the show ten minutes of main event. That's all I care about. This was a wrestling show, not a...inflate-a-dick power hour.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
but if you dont like inflatable cocks you have to be a wwe cuck duh
[img width=800

Offline Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2018, 03:19:13 PM »
I enjoyed the ridiculousness of it and since I'm a regular viewer of BTE, it was fun seeing that long-running storyline paid off. I totally get that many didn't like it and that dick humor isn't their thing. You either liked it or didn't. It's as simple as that.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »
I'd be embarrassed for my kids to see it because it was lame not because they don't know what a dick is or something. The segment wasn't offensive to me in that sense at all. It was just really dumb. I'm not trying to be contrarian. People have different senses of humor. I guess. If you liked that thats cool. To me that was just as bad as Old Day, Katie Vick or Vince pulling stuff out of JR's ass. It is what it is. People are going to like what they like. I don't think its the end of the world.
It’s not about liking or not liking it. It’s that y’all seem to be going out of your way to piss and moan about it, constantly, like it was the worst thing to ever happen to pro wrestling, to stereotypical Dama levels. We get it. You didn’t like it. It was trash. Con-fucking-grats.

but if you dont like inflatable cocks you have to be a wwe cuck duh
If the cockring fits.......

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2018, 09:19:24 PM »
I mean if it is on topic I'll probably restate my opinion sure. But I'm not going to start a thread about it or start wishing people would jump in a hole, giant or otherwise. It hasn't even been a week and I don't think we've talked about it that much on here. We've talked about the main event being cut short much more, which is something I care about far more.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2018, 02:18:35 AM »
In response to Meltzer responding to a fan about Russo hate

[img width=800

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2018, 08:31:11 AM »
I have no opinion on Jon Murray one way or the other (this is actually the first I've heard of him), but any wrestling that Cornette hates this much gets a thumbs up from me.

I wonder if he's aware that he shares the same level of social media etiquette with Donald Trump...

Offline Youth N Asia

• 2016 & 2017 Death Pool Reaper
  • STRONG STYLE!
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
I have no opinion on Jon Murray one way or the other (this is actually the first I've heard of him), but any wrestling that Cornette hates this much gets a thumbs up from me.

I wonder if he's aware that he shares the same level of social media etiquette with Donald Trump...

I saw the clip Cornette was bitching about. And it deserves more hate.