Author Topic: You got any bucket list shows?  (Read 465 times)

Description:

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • John Vernon as The Mayor
You got any bucket list shows?
« on: March 08, 2018, 03:27:01 PM »
I've had a list of bands or performers I've wanted to see for years, and too many are dead. My brother stole my Lou Reed tickets for a show he did the year before he died, and since I've had names in the back of my mind to see before they go. I want my Tom Waits show, above all. Want to give Dylan another shot after the shitty show I saw years ago, want to hit a Mastodon show, be nice to see Alice Cooper or Belle and Sebastian or whoever. My tastes run all over the place.

Any shows you just have to see before you can't anymore?

Online Dramatic Pizza

• brock lock
Re: You got any bucket list shows?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 02:32:35 AM »
The Mountain Goats. I wish I would've went to a Sleater Kinney show during their reunion a few years ago. Tom Waits would be great as well.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 02:34:36 AM »
I've thankfully seen a lot of my favorite bands over the past decade. Some way past their prime, sure, but I saw them regardless. I'm seeing Pearl Jam at Fenway in Boston in September but after them, the only show that's on my bucket list that I can still realistically see (because there's no way to see the likes of Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc.) is Rage Against The Machine. I've seen Prophets of Rage but it's obviously not the same.

Online Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 04:48:45 AM »
-Misfits with Danzig fronting (tickets for the Jersey show sold out fast)
-RATM
-A reunion of SOD, but that's unlikely since Billy and Scott aren't talking anymore
-Exodus
-New Model Army
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 06:11:04 AM »
Sign me up for Korn. 

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 11:37:30 AM »
Sign me up for Korn.

I've seen them 4 times and their shows are always great.

I've been lucky to see most of the bands/performers I like, Korn, Rammstein, Pet Shop Boys, Prince, Rancid, Prodigy, Ice Cube, and others. I'd love to see some older bands, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, Judas Priest, and a few others I can't think of right now.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 02:14:50 PM »
I am eternally thankful I got to see Le Tigre before they split, I'd love to see Kathleen Hanna in some form again before I die.

Morrissey is a big one and I'm afraid we won't have him for much longer because he's constantly ill. I'm gonna wind up having to travel to see him.

But without any hesitation the one act I'll hate myself forever if I never see them live is Madonna. Was too young for her early tours, by the time I was an adult she stopped coming remotely near me, then when she does play Miami or Atlanta (still a 4 hour drive to either) she's of course the most expensive act in the world and since I'd have to include travel and hotel, it just hasn't worked out.

I wish I would've went to a Sleater Kinney show during their reunion a few years ago.

There's still plenty of chances. They played several festivals the last few years. Just a few months ago they played one in California that was VERY tempting for me because it had a few other bands I was interested in.

Offline Wrestlecuck

• www.wrestlecuck.com/forums
  • Kreese
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »
I've been lucky to see most of the bands/performers I like, Korn, Rammstein, Pet Shop Boys, Prince, Rancid, Prodigy, Ice Cube, and others. I'd love to see some older bands, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, Judas Priest, and a few others I can't think of right now.

Priest is playing the Nassau Coliseum next week, so maybe you can go to that. I'm considering the Wilkes-Barre show on Tuesday, even though I'm only a casual fan and now both of their legendary guitarists have been replaced, but I can get a ticket for $20 on Stubhub.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 08:48:19 AM »
The Stones are a show I just can never afford when they get close by. Not seeing the Stones show with Tom Waits some years back in SF was just cruel. I hear when they're on, they're on.

I've been trying to get to an Elvis Costello show for years, but it just has never worked out. Minimal expectations, but I'm a fan and just going feels like it'd be worth it. Same with David Gilmour and Roger Waters.

The Replacements and Devo seem to tour irregularly, and I'd be down for both. Former much more than the latter, but they're both on the list.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 09:33:56 AM »
Cookie, Morrissey played in Jacksonville in either 2006 or 2007; I can't remember when exactly, but I was at that show. Between songs he complained about the shitty AC at the venue. (Which, to be fair, was crappy.)

As far as other artists mentioned in this thread, I've seen Tom Waits and Elvis Costello.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »
Cookie, Morrissey played in Jacksonville in either 2006 or 2007; I can't remember when exactly, but I was at that show. Between songs he complained about the shitty AC at the venue. (Which, to be fair, was crappy.)

As far as other artists mentioned in this thread, I've seen Tom Waits and Elvis Costello.

I know. It was the day after my birthday that year and I was in New York at the time. It was the Morocco Shrine which is insane to me because I've been in there (saw an ECW on TNN taping there when I was in high school). I would never want to see a concert there. I have an (incomplete) bootleg though, I have about 60 Morrissey/Smiths bootlegs and that is the worst one I've ever heard.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 01:36:50 PM »
I guess The Smiths are another band I could realistically see. It's highly unlikely but not 100% out of the question. Morrissey came to NY back in December and I briefly considered going but he was super flakey that tour, cancelling dates for the dumbest reasons (he cancelled a show in CA because "the stage was too cold").

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
I always used to say Kanye but would never spend money to risk a meltdown at this point
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 05:29:54 PM »
I guess The Smiths are another band I could realistically see. It's highly unlikely but not 100% out of the question. Morrissey came to NY back in December and I briefly considered going but he was super flakey that tour, cancelling dates for the dumbest reasons (he cancelled a show in CA because "the stage was too cold").

Unless Bill Gates is a secret Smiths fan and just throws bags of money that no one on Earth could turn down, The Smiths will remain one of the few original line-ups that never reform. One member in particular is too stubborn. He threatened 2 of the other members with throat-slitting in a song.

He finally came around to performing Smiths songs live and most of his band are better than The Smiths (Johnny Marr excluded obviously) so it's not too bad to just see him live and get the closest thing to The Smiths available.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 11:25:27 PM »
It was the only time I saw a show at the Morocco; I remember Nirvana played there in 1993, but I didn't get to go because at 14 it wasn't easy seeing shows.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »
Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, and Kanye would be three. Guns N Roses and AC/DC would be fun.

I've seen Beach Boys (and Brian Wilson...sadly, I missed out on their tour together 5ish years ago) and Elvis Costello out of the bands mentioned on other people's lists. I was genuinely shocked by how much I enjoyed Mike Love's Beach Boys. Objectively speaking, it was a better concert than Brian Wilson as much as it pains me to say it. They played a surprising amount of deep cuts and it was a great atmosphere (outdoor show on the Maine State Pier with ships passing by as opposed to Wilson which was in the staid City Hall Auditorium where people yell at you to sit down).

Elvis Costello was him by himself opening up for Bob Dylan ten years ago. He was pretty good. He played a full band show here two years or so ago that I heard was great then his road manager got his leg broken while being assaulted by a mentally ill transient here day after so I guess I'm glad he's not on my list of artists to see!

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 10:02:34 AM »
Oh I also saw Alice Cooper in '04 right before the Presidential Election (I remember he did "Elected" and dudes in Bush and Kerry masks came out and waved) at a very poorly advertised and attended show. Maybe 500 tops people in a 2000 seat theater. It was a great concert though. He's a hell of a showman and his band rocked IIRC.

Coolio is coming to Portland in May so I can cross that one off my bucket list.

Offline Wrestlecuck

• www.wrestlecuck.com/forums
  • Kreese
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
I saw Alice last August with Deep Purple at the PNC Bank Arts Center. He still sings and moves pretty well for his age, and he opened with "Brutal Planet" which is one of my favorite songs of his that nobody knows. Deep Purple was also good but I left after "Perfect Strangers" because I wanted to beat traffic. I was still able to hear "Hush" and "Smoke on the Water" during the long walk back to my car. I paid eight dollars and twenty-five cents and got my money's worth. Edgar Winter opened but I got there too late to see him.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 11:20:18 AM »

Elvis and Waits were good shows, right?

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 01:05:06 PM »
Yes, both Waits and Costello were good. The former's live album, Glitter and Doom, features a performance of "Circus" that was recorded at the show I attended.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 02:59:47 PM »
Good to know. After a bad Bob Dylan experience in my youth, I worry.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »
It was the only time I saw a show at the Morocco; I remember Nirvana played there in 1993, but I didn't get to go because at 14 it wasn't easy seeing shows.

Ah yes, the infamous Nirvana Jax shows. I wish I was old enough to have Einstein A Go-Go tales.

Offline Incandenza

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 11:39:36 PM »
I was too young for Einstein, but I did manage to hit up the Milk Bar a few times in high school. I saw Fugazi there in 1996!