Author Topic: Interesting Rarely Known Sports Facts/Tidbits Thread  (Read 13913 times)

Description:

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
Re: Interesting Rarely Known Sports Facts/Tidbits Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2018, 07:17:05 AM »
One of the oddities of pre-1950 baseball is that a player could have a real career in the minor leagues. By Speece pitched an inning in the 1924 World Series and only pitched 167 major league innings, mostly as a mop-up reliever. Open up his minor league record though and you see he won 229 career games. He's winning 20 games a season in a league where 60-75% of the players once reached the majors (or would in the future). The guy obviously had talent.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2018, 01:00:40 AM »
I'm going to preface this one right off the bat. It's all bullshit.

I saw a blogpost headline that referred to Whitey Ford as "the Greatest Living Yankee." We know intrinsically that Ford doesn't earn that distinction simply by being the best player. He's also one of the last living legends from that generation. I figured I would run an equation to multiply a player's WAR by 1.XX, XX being whatever their age is. For the Yankees...

1. Whitey Ford 108.11
2. Derek Jeter 104.26
3. Willie Randolph 88.56
4. Mariano Rivera  83.89
5. Roy White 81.9

Like I said, bullshit. But it gets you statistically where you want to be in the conversation.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2018, 07:01:40 AM »
Sweetwater Clifton was a basketball legend, one of the players who integrated the NBA. Turns out, he played minor league baseball in my home city of Wilkes-Barre!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=clifto001nat

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2018, 12:49:05 PM »
I was today years old when I learned that Michael Buffer's net worth is $400M.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2018, 12:54:16 PM »
How much of that was gained from WCW appearances? I know the appearance fee was pretty up there.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2018, 09:05:49 PM »
Be gentle with me if this one is known:

I'm reading a book on Bart Starr's failed run as Packers coach. In 1977, Lynn Dickey suffered a broken leg. NFL rules at the time did not allow the Packers to sign either if the two QBs they had released during the pre-season because you could not sign someone you had earlier cut unless they were signed elsewhere first.

What in the name of what was this rule for?!!?!
--

It was also illegal at the time for teams to ask players from different colleges to meet at one spot to do a pre-draft tryout. The Saints and Packers violated this rule in back to back years. The Saints were penalized $5,000, while the Packers were stripped of a 4th round pick.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2018, 09:23:23 PM »
Be gentle with me if this one is known:

I'm reading a book on Bart Starr's failed run as Packers coach. In 1977, Lynn Dickey suffered a broken leg. NFL rules at the time did not allow the Packers to sign either if the two QBs they had released during the pre-season because you could not sign someone you had earlier cut unless they were signed elsewhere first.

What in the name of what was this rule for?!!?!
--

It was also illegal at the time for teams to ask players from different colleges to meet at one spot to do a pre-draft tryout. The Saints and Packers violated this rule in back to back years. The Saints were penalized $5,000, while the Packers were stripped of a 4th round pick.

Interesting stuff. The latter I think was a rule partly in place to let teams only work players out at their local college campuses.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2019, 11:28:23 PM »
Just finished a book covering the Packers under Dan Devine, the only non Lombardi disciple to coach for GB until 1987.

- Devine's 1972 Packers made the Playoffs behind a young bull at fullback named John Brockington. QB was largely a mess, with 2nd year 6th round pick Scott Hunter manning the spot most of the year.  Despite having still been an active player the year before, Bart Starr was named OC. The media loved him, and gave him praise and attention instead of Devine for the success.
When the playoffs came, Devine took away Starr's playcalling, and spent the whole game running into a 5 man front, instead of allowing Hunter to audible and throw. The Pack lost a boring 13-3 game to Washington. Starr could be seen standing alone, far from the action in the middle of the game.  Devine and Starr agreed to part at this point. Devine was so livid over not getting the glory, he actually resigned and had to be talked back. Starr went on to turn down other coaching offers, with his eyes on the Packers prize.
Devine had two more poor season's, culminating in Oct. of 1974 when Time magazine did a feature on Devine, where he revealed the locals accused his wife of being an alcoholic (she had MS), the kids called his daughters whores, and he implied that irate fans shot the family dogs. (He admitted 30 years later that it was an accident). 
So with the head coach burying the team, the official Packer PR man Chuck Lane was given room to respond, he said "The Players hate Devine and want him gone."  Turns out Lane was a double agent for Starr and was actively trying to get Devine to be fired/quit so Bart could take over.
Devine would go on to trade a 1st, 2nd in 75 and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 76 for 34 year-old John Hadl. Hadl had just been benched after playing poorly against...the Packers.  The kicker ended up being that Hadl saw all those picks and refused to report without a big raise, so the Rams and Packers agreed to give him 200 grand each to get the matter passed.
The team was so fed up that they mutinied the last week of the year and almost decided to forfeit the game. Lombardi coach Dave Hanner was still coaching defense for Devine and lead the charge against him.

Offline Brodypedia

• BruiserBrody
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2019, 03:45:30 AM »
Between 1955 and 1957 the Steelers drafted Johnny Unitas and Len Dawson, as well as picked up Jack Kemp on waivers from the Lions.  All went on to big time careers elsewhere while the Steelers sunk into mediocrity.