Author Topic: A guy in my fantasy league died.  (Read 244 times)

Description: Seeking advice

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
A guy in my fantasy league died.
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:10:25 AM »
I've been in a 12 team fantasy league for six years now with some friends from college. It's a good league and a fun way to keep in touch. One guy, his name is Matt, made the playoffs every year this league existed and is the league's only two time champ. He definitely put more thought and work into this league than anybody else in it.

This past April, sadly, Matt had a heart attack and passed away. Total bummer, he was a great guy. One thing I hadn't really thought about until, like, a week ago is that this means he won't be in our fantasy league this year. This also means we're down to 11 teams, which is not really a number you can play fantasy football with.

What would you guys do here? It feels really weird to find another person to join the league, and be all "hey you're replacing our dead friend, nice to meet you" but it also feels really weird to, like, ask somebody to drop the league or something like that. I guess we could just play 11 and somebody will have a bye every week, but that doesn't sound fun.

We could just end the league I guess but I don't think any of us want that. We're not really sure how to handle it. What do you guys think?

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
Re: A guy in my fantasy league died.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »
Crazy idea but did your friend have any siblings or a partner?  Perhaps extend an invitation for them to continue his fantasy legacy.

Offline Fan of Sports with Integrity

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:34:50 AM »
we are close to the same age so the idea of dying of a heart attack at this point in time seems unfathomable to me. were there any extenuating circumstances?

Offline Gert

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »
I think some other leagues have left the deceased person in the league and had them as an auto draft and then the commish just made sure their team had healthy starters and non-bye starters.

Sorry for your loss, Pujol Junkie.

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »
I think some other leagues have left the deceased person in the league and had them as an auto draft and then the commish just made sure their team had healthy starters and non-bye starters.

Sorry for your loss, Pujol Junkie.

This is what we ended up going with. Ghost team. Watch, ghost team is going to win this league.

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 05:49:03 AM »
Would be a nice tribute to the person if he does win.

Sorry for your loss.