Author Topic: NJPW G1 Climax 2018: there will be spoilers!  (Read 1656 times)

Description: Deserves it's own thread!

Offline Slayer

• I have no lies or truth in what I say
Re: NJPW G1 Climax 2018: there will be spoilers!
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2018, 05:33:06 AM »
Didn't even bother with the final match after that

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2018, 05:39:02 AM »
Yeah I thought about your scenarios more and they wouldn't have been good with all the interference that's been going on in the tournament this year. The fans needed a big epic clean match there and loved every second of it. Okada needs a break from the main events for a bit and Jay isn't clicking with the Japanese fans. I think advancing Tanahashi like this was the right call.

edit: lol didn't even see the "I didn't watch the final match" post. Too funny.

Offline Slayer

« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2018, 05:44:32 AM »
Even if White never got involved in the finals and was never going to win the block, that scenario would have been more compelling than just making Tanahashi-Okada straight up (and yet another G1 draw at that).

edit: lol didn't even see the "I didn't watch the final match" post. Too funny.

I said before I thought Tana/Okada was played out even before Dontaku, so I already wasn't compelled even before this.  I can spend that half-hour doing other things

That and yet another year of "the final block match determines the block winner, no surprises" that I complained about before the G1 even started

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2018, 05:50:26 AM »
If Okada was still the invulnerable champ I'd have been way less interested in it but it was a totally different dynamic that made it much more interesting to me. Tanahashi is the one who is resurgent both in the ring and popularity wise and Okada is on the backfoot. Plus no balloons. I really loved the match, way better than the last one Meltzer overrated.

I get what you're saying about wanting more scenarios but...meh? Maybe if it was someone who deserved to be in contention with them I'd care more.

If Naito/Ibushi/Omega isn't down to the very last match then I'll be bothered though!

Offline Slayer

« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2018, 06:36:04 AM »
That and why even give White the wins over Okada and Tanahashi at the start if they weren't going to play into that final match.  Gedo set up a huge Chekhov's Gun and then just left it on the mantle... but like you said A Block had become a shitshow anyways so what did it matter

As for tonight, my shit prediction is similar to A Block in that Naito beats ZSJ as this G1 has been the "ZSJ gives back his wins from the NJ Cup" tour, then Tongan Interference™ in the final match against both Golden Lovers results in a no contest and sends Naito to the finals, an appropriate end to the somehow worst-best G1 ever.

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2018, 06:47:05 AM »
So NJPW put out a release saying that if BGOC interfere with any match during the night, they'll be fined and suspended for three months.

Sooooooooo how exactly will Ishimori fuck over the Golden Lovers?

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2018, 06:49:53 AM »
Tongans aren't interfering unless they are going away for because NJPW announced if BCOG interferes in any B Block matches tonight they're fined and suspended for 3 months.

edit: damn beaten to it. and yeah maybe ishimori will show up but I think we'll get a clean match because this is njpw. maybe we'll get a beatdown after to ruin the lovey dovey moment. OR Yujiro and some other members will turn on them.

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2018, 07:11:23 AM »
So if Naito wins early in the night, is Ibushi the type to throw the match to ensure Kenny wins or does he go all out and try to win since he'd still get a title shot for beating Kenny?

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2018, 07:32:52 AM »
Ibushi wouldn't throw the match no. He wouldn't want to let the fans down like that. He's too much of a good guy.

Offline Slayer

« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2018, 08:26:36 AM »
I did see the management threat before my prediction post but I think they interfere anyways just because they're clearly in DGAF Mode at this point.  They weren't around much for the few months prior to the G1 anyways (Fale training at his dojo, GOD... do they help Fale train? Otherwise I dunno what they were doing) so it's at least a kayfabe explanation of an impending absence, plus three months would bring them back in time for the G1 Tag

I can see the combo of BGOC interfering plus someone else betraying GL, BGOC leaves for three months and then GOD and Fale + new guy compete in the G1 Tag

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2018, 11:00:19 AM »
Saw an interesting idea pertaining to the interference. GoD cause Kenny to lose the match giving the block to Naito. They're suspended, but Kenny and Ibushi demand the suspension to be lifted so they can fight GoD at the next Long Beach show.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2018, 11:02:40 AM »
I will try to sell my ticket if they do that.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2018, 11:44:40 AM »
Not saying I like it, or that I'd do that story, but it would be a way around the suspension and still have them interfere as they have been doing.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2018, 04:10:27 PM »
Tanahashi vs Okada was everything I could've asked for in a pro wrestling match.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2018, 11:38:34 PM »
I'm pissed at the result of ZSJ vs Naito, mainly because I wanted Naito to win, but it was a great match. Sanada continues to rise in the ranks. His match with Ishii was fantastic. And what a main event!!!

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2018, 12:42:49 AM »
Suuuuuuper pissed at the ZSJ result obviously. Naito is THE guy. The fans want him badder than anything. Gedo keeps fucking him over and fucking him over. They had Jericho totally destroy him even. By the time they do decide to do something with him (probably because all the top gaijin leave) he's going to be too damaged like the previous generation were by the MMA shit.

SANADA/Ishii was great and I wish SANADA had won but I'm ok with Ishii winning if he's getting the title shot at Omega (since he beat Omega in the G1) between now and WK. Otherwise they should have given SANADA another big win.

Omega/Ibushi was really great but I thought that it felt a little rough and rushed at times. I think Tanahashi is winning the G1 though. Every WK except 2 have been main evented by either Tanahashi or Okada and the last was in 2010. I can't see them changing that now, especially to put a free lancer vs a gaijin who might be leaving as the top match.

Offline Slayer

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2018, 04:02:03 AM »
so did anyone else get spoiled by going to NJPW World to watch this morning's show and seeing the big splash image advertising the actual finals matchup? (previous years just had a generic "G1 CLIMAX FINALS" text image)

Unfunny enough on both Reddit's general wrestling and NJPW pages, posters put up warnings about the issue but naturally I steered clear of those beforehand to, well, avoid spoilers

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2018, 04:06:23 AM »
I almost got Sabre/Naito spoiled (which would have ruined the entire show because I'd have been pissed) because I started the show late.

• Admin
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »
Gedo please have Ibushi please lose the final and challenge Omega in Long Beach.

Also, when Omega was doing that interview, I think he might've been telling the truth about Gedo having no faith at all in Naito and no intention of ever pushing him.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2018, 08:51:11 AM »
I think the theory koab (iirc) has is more likely that they want to save Naito for when the dome show is on a Saturday so they can do him vs Okada because it's the best chance to sell it out and they think Naito can stay hot no matter what. I don't know if they are right unless they protect him more.

I do think the "gedo is a genius booker" stuff needs to be shelved though. He might be the best active booker (and I'd question that because whoever is booking AJPW is my choice) but he has a ton of serious flaws that are becoming more and more obvious. He's had a long run and it might be coming time for him to take a rest. That might sound like an overreaction to the G1 but it's something I've been thinking going back a year or so.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2018, 08:54:51 AM »
Totally think Long Beach is getting some kind of Bullet Club bullshit as the main event though lol

• Admin
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2018, 09:01:05 AM »
Totally think Long Beach is getting some kind of Bullet Club bullshit as the main event though lol

Nah...way more likely Ishii vs. Omega now that Omega has two quick title defenses lined up. Or even Omega vs. Yano.

I think GoD and Fale are going on excursion to Impact. There's also the fact that Tama was probably getting suspended for beating up the fan anyway, so they worked it into the story.

I think they would do Ibushi/Omega in Japan, on the other hand I don't know. I do also think they'll do Juice vs. ZSJ in Long Beach.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2018, 09:06:38 AM »
ishii vs omega seems more like the KOPW main event. I don't know Ibushi/Omega will want to rush back to doing another match with each other so soon. It'll be interesting to see.

Yano main eventing in the US...ya'll don't deserve that kind of star power.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »
I really liked the Ibushi/Omega match but Tana/Okada captivated me more.

Overall I really liked what I got out of this G1. NJPW remains consistently awesome and entertaining.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2018, 10:07:37 AM »
I really liked the Ibushi/Omega match but Tana/Okada captivated me more.

Overall I really liked what I got out of this G1. NJPW remains consistently awesome and entertaining.

Agreed. I agree with many of the flaws we saw; the constant interference, certain guys not going over like they should have, Jay White with the constant low blows, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. I had only watched previously on AXS or in clips, so this was the first time watching complete shows. I only missed night 1, which I'll go back and watch one day, but there was something every day that was great and entertaining.

Offline Slayer

« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2018, 10:56:23 AM »
I do think the "gedo is a genius booker" stuff needs to be shelved though

Validation at last!

Sadly though I do agree with your notion that Naito is becoming to Gedo what Tenzan was to Inoki

He might be the best active booker (and I'd question that because whoever is booking AJPW is my choice)

It's Akiyama, with Fuchi assisting

----------

Even with being spoiled I did watch and enjoy the Golden Lovers final, but as far as sympathetic pains go that moonsault knee to the sternum actually made me clutch my own chest, holy shit

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2018, 11:12:35 AM »
I do think the "gedo is a genius booker" stuff needs to be shelved though

Validation at last!

Sadly though I do agree with your notion that Naito is becoming to Gedo what Tenzan was to Inoki

He might be the best active booker (and I'd question that because whoever is booking AJPW is my choice)

It's Akiyama, with Fuchi assisting

----------

Even with being spoiled I did watch and enjoy the Golden Lovers final, but as far as sympathetic pains go that moonsault knee to the sternum actually made me clutch my own chest, holy shit

That and the double stomp to the back of Kenny's head when he was on the top turnbuckle were incredibly pain inducing.

I also stand by my opinion that I've told others, Kenny has the most beautiful Tope Con Hilo in the game. When he jumps over and spreads his arms and legs, it's like he's moving in slow motion.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2018, 12:43:20 AM »
That final match HOLY SHIT.

Day 19 is just a fun as hell day. Entertaining tag matches and a hell of a final.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2018, 01:12:29 AM »
Great great main event. The tongans were back to swearing and right in front of the president (and won the 6 man titles at that) so like I said the big announcement meant nothing as usual. I'm not liking how the President has been in on-camera angles on two shows back-to-back. Any time a NJPW owner/boss gets involved in angles it's a bad sign in the long run.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2018, 01:30:15 AM »

The BIG NEWS is Okada dumping Gedo as his manager. But he's totally staying with Chaos. Chaos gotta kick this emo fuck out bros. Can't be having this disloyalty to the man who made him. TAKE HIM OUT GEDO! TAKE HIM OUT!

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2018, 01:31:03 AM »

Also Omega Vs Ishii is the next title match

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2018, 07:04:09 AM »
What a great G1. The last 3 days have been a blur of wrestling and I've loved every minute of it. If I had the discipline to save my PTO at work I'd take 3 weeks off and watch it all live. I'm sad to see it end.

• Admin
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2018, 06:54:46 AM »
Holy SHIT at that final.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2018, 07:55:28 AM »
I'm still just like WHOA at the last three days at Budokan....

Between those events and the night of Omega/Ishii and Naito/Ibushi, goddamn this G1 really finished strong.

I'd argue if it wasnt for the booking of White and the Samoans (although we got a bit of payoff with Evil going over White after the BS tactics) this might be the best G1 I've ever seen for sure. But the ref bumps and DQs, etc, all that hurt what normally is a very straight forward series.

I freaked out when Sabre got the win over Naito. Was it the right move? I guess time will tell but I get that they need to keep the top heel talent going. Let's put it this way, I'd much rather see a guy they already established in Sabre go over Naito than other possibilities. That said, I'm interested where Naito goes next but it's time to get some rebuilding going.

So top 5 picks now that it's done?

1. Ishii/Omega
2. Tanahashi/Ibushi (this overachieved bigtime and had some tremendous drama and physicality)
3. Omega/Ibushi
4. Ibushi/Naito
5. Ishii/Goto

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »
it was easily tanahashi/ibushi to me. Tanahashi is the best storyteller in wrestling probably and he fit Ibushi's crazyness into everything perfectly.

The match quality of this G1 overall was the best ever but a lot of the A block nights were very hard to get through at times and I really question a lot of the booking decisions. The BC OG and Jay White were not helped by any of this. Naito wasn't done any favours. Omega was put over incredibly strongly which is fine but I think if he leaves it won't look as smart and I think the odds of him leaving are like 75% or better.

When all these gaijin leave they should either put the money freed up into throwing a brinks truck at nakamura, locking in okada/naito/sanada/hiromu/kushida to long-term contracts, or raiding the fuck out of the other japanese companies. Who should they sign? http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/10-wrestlers-id-love-to-see-in-the-g1-climax/ any of the fine japanese gentlemen on this list!

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2018, 12:24:17 PM »
Why is it a foregone conclusion that all the gaijin are leaving?

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2018, 12:33:54 PM »
Because aren't the Bucks and Kenny fairly old for as long as they've been in the business? Feels like now would be the time to make their WWE run, get monster money and be done.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2018, 12:56:59 PM »
It isn't a foregone conclusion but you shouldn't need it mapped out for you to see that everything that is happening is leading up to at the least Omega and the Bucks cashing-in. Scrull too. I can see GoD leaving now or next year too. If they don't leave then NJPW is going to be paying out the ass for them and theres a point where it isnt worth it.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2018, 12:36:00 AM »

lot of Japanese fans have been complaining about the president getting involved and NJPW getting too American which I figured was just a matter of time. Glad they're addressing it and I hope they actually mean it.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2018, 12:44:10 AM »
It isn't a foregone conclusion but you shouldn't need it mapped out for you to see that everything that is happening is leading up to at the least Omega and the Bucks cashing-in. Scrull too. I can see GoD leaving now or next year too. If they don't leave then NJPW is going to be paying out the ass for them and theres a point where it isnt worth it.

I agree it's a possibility but people are acting like this time next year the entire Bullet Club, Juice Robinson and anyone else not Japanese will be in WWE. I just don't think that's going to be the case.

I also think it's not foregone that Kenny goes and I wonder about how the Bucks will feel about ceding all control and working an even shittier schedule when it comes to seeing their family.

Now that's not to say some people aren't going. Of course people will always leave. But Meltzer has made several comments that it's a two way street and there's a few guys (he wouldn't give names) that are looking to leave WWE and go to the indies and NJPW. So guess eventually it'll just be like it always has been with people shuffling around and WWE getting who they want for the most part.

But it's like there's almost a giddiness from NJPW fans over the idea of WWE raiding them. At least that's the way it comes across on this board sometimes.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2018, 02:23:03 AM »
Yeah I really don't think anyone at least here is acting like all the non-Japanese are leaving. Juice isn't going anywhere and I don't see Sabre, Ospreay, etc leaving. But it's pretty hard to not look at everything this year and see that Omega and The Bucks are wrapping things up. If NJPW can make an attractive enough offer they might stay but considering what WWE has to offer now that seems almost impossible. It all comes down to how badly WWE wants them.

As far as guys leaving WWE for Japan/elsewhere, I've already said NJPW should go after Nakamura. WWE is almost certainly going to be letting some guys go/not renewing some guys when contracts come up because of all the new hires. There's only so many spots in NXT and the main shows. That said there's very few people who will leave that I can see making any real impact. There's going to be a lot more Jack Swagger's than Cody's.

Giddyness isn't the right word about WWE signing away these guys but for a lot of long time NJPW fans both on here and all over BC was a detriment to NJPW especially after AJ left. Beyond that NJPW is very stale in its factions and a bunch of guys leaving is going to force a major shakeup. It will also freshen WWE up so if you like those guys its good for WWE (even if you doubt wwe's ability to book them). There's a lot of guys in NJPW I want to see get pushed that might get pushes if they leave just like how Naito got a major push when AJ and Nakamura left.  People moving around is good for the business. It's hard for me to get upset about WWE raiding NJPW when NJPW has taken a bunch of its talent from other Japanese companies and will continue to do so.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2018, 02:51:36 AM »
I agree the loss of The Elite wouldn't be devastating for NJPW but I do think losing the Bucks would be devastating for ROH.

Nakamura is a weird one. I never expected him to come back. I hardly expect anyone that's not a Curt Hawkins type to ever want to leave WWE because of the money.

I just don't see how Kenny is wrapping things up though. He just became champion. Maybe it's a last run or they want to get what they can out of him before he leaves? I don't know, but listening to him he just sounds like someone that wants to be in Japan.

The thing is I just don't see how any of these three fit in WWE. They're all very into doing what they want to do, unless it's a deal like DB (he mentioned in his book) where they accept their actual wrestling career is over and they're just now at a wrestling job (which is what WWE basically is since you don't have any creative input). They're such creative guys it's hard to picture them giving that up.

I'm not worried about NJPW being good if they leave. That's not why I watch NJPW, but I do think it will affect some of the American audience they've cultivated. I'm just waiting for someone a year from now to say "I used to watch NJPW but it really sucks now without X, Y, Z".

After reading the way you put it (elevating what they have and picking up some guys from outside the company) that actually excites me a lot. Their roster is way too damn big as it is anyway causing guys like SANADA to seemingly be permanently lost in the shuffle.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2018, 05:19:06 AM »
I was into NJPW in the early 2000s big time. The wrestling store by me carried tons of old shows, so I'd rent them. I stopped following them for a bit, and it wasn't until the Bullet Club that I got interested in them again. Between that and AXS, really. The non-Japanese wrestlers got me back into NJPW, but LIJ, Suzuki, etc., are what's keeping me coming back. I don't doubt that people might stop watching if BC signs with WWE, but I think a lot of people would still tune in.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2018, 05:47:46 AM »
People thought they'd be hurt by losing AJ and Nakamura who were much bigger for them than Omega and the Bucks overall when it comes to star and drawing power. I think the only way you'll see people saying NJPW sucks now without them is if the booking gets worse or they push someone like Tama Tonga hard.

BC was absolutely great for getting people in the door and I appreciate them for that. I'm not as anti-BC as some of the other older fans who can't handle Omega and The Bucks at all. I can appreciate Kenny for what he is and the Bucks have grown on me at least in big matches.

I don't know how well they'll fit in WWE as Vince runs it but he seems to be taking less and less of a role lately. I'm not confident in their ability to work long-term but as 909 has siad to me when we've talked about it they're going to get paid so much that they're going to get pushed. Just like Balor got a god push at first (if he hadn't gotten injured his whole career would probably look different) and Nakamura despite a rocky road has stayed at least in the upper midcard and been all over tv. If they'd realized Nakamura was a natural heel at the start it would have gone so much better.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2018, 05:51:46 AM »
I don't think any actual NJPW fans would be think it sucks because they leave, but I do think that they've brought a lot of casuals (if there can be such a thing for NJPW in America) into the fold in America that will probably lose interest when they're gone. That's all I was saying.

And I do think losing the Bucks will be devastating for ROH.

I can't disagree that Nakamura was a bigger name and bigger drawing power (I mean he was a homegrown native) but I'm not sure AJ was a bigger star in Japan than Kenny is now.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2018, 06:01:58 AM »
Well I will admit I don't care about ROH whatsoever. They're owned by a company that is even scummier than WWE and almost everything good about them is NJPW talent whenever I've watched going back many years. WWE is probably going to buy them in the near to mid-term future(I feel that is why Sinclair is running MSG) as they've negotiated on that before but were too far apart on money. I totally get why that sucks for a lot of fans but I also think they'll be replaced by something else and hopefully owned by a better parent company.

And I'm not trying to minimize how scummy WWE is as a company or anything if anyone thinks that but Sinclair is just the worst.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2018, 06:29:49 AM »
Well you're right about ROH only being popular because of the NJPW guys. That's why I started watching ROH again. However I have rediscovered some great old stuff with Honor Club, but I'll be honest: I love ROH but never watch ROH TV. I watch the live shows and PPVs on Honor Club.

Their lives shows are a ton of fun to go to so I'll miss that if things go belly up or WWE buys them. It's the most fun I have at a wrestling event but maybe someone like Impact will step up and fill that void.

• Admin
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2018, 09:16:17 AM »
NJPW needs to rebuild their tag division anyway as it is pretty much destroyed, Bucks or not. It's actually really ridiculous.

I don't really care who goes where and where anyone works, because now it's so easy to just watch whoever I like wherever they are.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
It's going to be hilarious to see all those fans that shit on the Bucks and Omega for being spot monkeys claiming they're huge fans and have been for a long time once they sign to WWE.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2018, 01:09:09 PM »
NJPW needs to rebuild their tag division anyway as it is pretty much destroyed, Bucks or not. It's actually really ridiculous.

I don't really care who goes where and where anyone works, because now it's so easy to just watch whoever I like wherever they are.

Well yeah but if they work for WWE what you're getting is generally a pale imitation of what you were getting before.