Author Topic: 2018 Movies in Theaters Review Thread: There Will Be Spoilers  (Read 474 times)

Description: Mile 22

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
I would like to encourage other people to post some.

I just got AMC Stubs A-List, and I don't want anything to be in the other thread that could possibly be spoiled for people in some way. The only way to do so is to post reviews in an entirely different thread. I'm going to see Sicario 2 tomorrow, and will see three movies a week as allowed to do, but everything in here should be full of spoilers. If you go into this minefield you have to know everything will be spoiled. I will also catalog each review in the first post for easier access.

If wanting to know my score for a movie, just scroll down. Everything else in the review will be spoiler tagged. At some point I intend to start a site or partner up with my brother on one, but for now, this thread will contain my reviews of movies...SEEN IN THEATERS.

Yes, I will be maintaining both threads and will now be watching at least 30 movies a month. Probably more.

BlacKkKlansman
Blindspotting
Eighth Grade
Jurassic World 2: Fallen Kingdom
Mile 22
Mission: Impossible - Fallout
Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
Skyscraper
Slender Man
Sorry to Bother You
The Equalizer 2
The First Purge
The Meg
The Spy Who Dumped Me
koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
Re: Movies in Theaters Review Thread: There Will Be Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 01:16:06 AM »
I threw down on the A-List as well and have been using it to its max, 3 times a week and in some cases, I'm seeing more than that if I'm sneaking into others after the initial film I used as an A-list pick. Certainly taking advantage of this program and its really user-friendly, compared to what I heard about MoviePass. I also signed up for the Cinemark Movie Club which isn't as great but it still is ok. One film a month on the account, but a bunch of extra goodies with that one like discounts, extra points for this and that (which can be used for movie swag like t-shirts, etc), waived fees, and whatnot.

I always and forever will prefer to see a film in a theater versus at home whatever the case.

This week's films I'll be seeing by Sunday: Uncle Drew, Equalizer 2, Unfriended 2, Sorry to Bother You, and if I can fit them in....Sandlot Anniversary Edition (this isnt counted in A-List but I'll be trying to sneak in), and some interesting looking doc called Three Identical Strangers

-----

Sicario 2 is pretty damn good, one of the better follow ups to an already really good first film. No Emily Blunt was a downer a bit, but her story kinda fully arced in the first one. So I can see why she wasn't a part of this one.

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »

Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado (2018), directed by Stefano Sollima

Sicario is one of my favorite films from 2015, but Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado is something entirely different, a film with a different tone and about subjects that are both related and unrelated. It's strange when sequels are directed by different people, it leads to different visions taking the screen, even if both films are written by the same person. Of course, Sicario was an impossible act to follow. It was directed by one of the best directors of the time, filmed by the best cinematographer of our time, had an amazing cast, was super balanced, was careful enough to not go overboard with violence until the end, and brought something different to the big screen. This, on the other hand, is a lot like Rambo. Is there anything wrong with Rambo? No. Is Rambo like Sicario though? Absolutely not. This isn't even a case of smashing genres together, it's an outright action film, and one can only judge it by those standards even though it is very difficult to do so. Two things do remain consistent with these two films though, it's that the violence in them is brutal while holding absolutely nothing back, and Benicio del Toro is awesome.

This film begins with a different take on the border as in the first film. Granted, in the first film a shed explods, but it's still different. During an illegal border crossing, a man leaves the group being arrested by Border Patrol, drawing them to a cliff. Before being apprehended, we learn that the man is a Muslim, and the man blows himself up to kill those officers. Next, we progress to a following scene in Kansas City. There's people in a store shopping, and three guys walk in. Of course, they also have suicide bombs. We are shown a scene where they blow up a little girl and her mom, but it isn't as gory as you'd think. How does that play into the events? Well, the government seems to believe that these two events are related and with good reason they believe it, even though it turns out later that they aren't. See what I mean by spoiling? I'm gonna spoil shit. The government's response is to do what the government does, to give CIA agent Matt Graver (Josh Brolin) permission to use ANY MEANS NECESSARY to combat Mexican drug cartels who smuggle these terrorists across the border.

Matt and the DoD decide that their best option is to start a war between major cartels, and we know what Matt does in these scenarios. There is a scene that re-establishes Matt in this CIA world for those who didn't see the original film, and I had to do a lot not to laugh at how ridiculous it was because there were other people sitting next to me. Anyway, we push on, and of course Matt recruits Alejandro Gillick (Benicio del Toro). Once again, we know what Alejandro's about, we know exactly what road he's going to go down. Matt's idea is executed very strongly, with Alejandro killing the lawyer for the Matamoros cartel. Graver and Alejandro subsequently follow that up with something really big, by kidnapping the daughter of the head of the Reyes cartel, their rival. Their plan in doing so is to make the Reyes cartel believe the Matamoros group did the kidnapping, and to execute it, they Isabel(Isabela Moner) up nicely and put a hood on her so she doesn't know she's being trafficked to Texas. Meanwhile, as in the first movie, there's another minor story playing out at the same time. Miguel (Elijah Rodriguez) is a young guy headed down the road of becoming a cartel member, at the behest of his cousin. His job? To traffic people across the border. Simple as that.

I said I was going to spoil a lot, and I am, but I'm not going to write about the entire film as you could go to Wikipedia for any of that stuff. Anyway, this film has a lot of moments that are blink and you miss them, or rather hit the pisser and you miss them. The point is, get an app or something that will let you know when to hit it. There's a scene with Miguel coming across Alejandro that if you miss, it destroys the entire film for you. Nobody left my theater during that scene, but if they had I can imagine the way they felt about the rest of the film was entirely different than me. The film also has scenes that simply aren't as impactful as those in the first one. The shootout on the dirt road doesn't even come close to the one at the border crossing, it simply isn't as tense or as well filmed. That's what I mean about this film being different, it just is. Its intensity is reserved for a scene where Alejandro gets busted on a bus, for a scene near the end where you think Matt might kill Isabel, except he doesn't. I can admit however that the aforementioned shootout is pretty good and built up to very well. Three humvees chugging along a road so fast that they can't see anything in front of them prior to getting attacked is pretty good.

This film is different from the first on so many other levels as well. There's the fact that Roger Deakins didn't film it, and you can immediately notice that because it is filmed more workmanlike than the original. This film also has very little female touch, with Catherine Keener playing a token character who only has a couple lines to keep Matt and Alejandro on track. Next, the soundtrack is different considering Jóhann Jóhannsson didn't take part in it, and I don't know if that was before or after he died. But, you can definitely tell the film is lacking in this regard. It's also directed with scenes that never would have been in the first film, with newcasters reading the news and shit like that. It's simply a different vision. That doesn't mean it's a bad vision, it just isn't the same and it's hard to accept at times. The ending is something I can't imagine Denis Villeneuve would have come up with, it's absolutely outlandish and hard to understand. del Toro gets shot in the mouth, but like, dude. It's not a life ending injury but the scene is just played so weird. On the other hand, the scene when Miguel encounters del Toro a year later is hilarious.

Ultimately, I think I do like this film even with its numerous missteps. It is ill-timed politically, but on the other hand, perhaps this is the kind of thing we really do need to see. Maybe we do need to understand that our government goes massively overboard in dealing with perceived problems, and while this film handles that in a heavy handed way which may make it difficult for people to get that message from the film, I think it was well handled. The film is also exciting and cool, because as I said, it's a Rambo movie. Benicio del Toro as the new Rambo is cool shit that I really like. I don't entirely buy him becoming fatherly towards Isabel, but he does know this isn't her fault, and perhaps he's learned from the previous incident where he killed Fausto's family. On the other hand, perhaps not. If you like action movies you should see this, and if you don't like movies that don't stand up to scrutiny, you should probably pass. Still, the two main characters are cool, Jeffrey Donovan is amusing as a special operative, and that's enough for me. I want to see more movies about cartel stuff, and I don't know if this will have a third entry without Sollima, but I hope so. Would like to see a third person's vision, preferably someone who treats the material the way Denis Villeneuve did.

6.5/10
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »
I should also review the AMC A-List Pass.

I didn't see any capability to theater hop as my AMC seems to be vigilant in that regard, but my theater is extremely high traffic. They have people stationed in the hallways, you would definitely get busted. I don't think I could stay at the theater that long anyway, that's too much for me. I intend to use the three movies a week on most weeks, but people like us are in the minority. My brother only goes to three movies a month with his and was talking about only going to two next month. But, if you're paying for a Dolby or IMAX ticket, you should have this instead.

All I had to do to scan my ticket was show them my phone. You're allowed to see three movies a week and you're also allowed to reserve three tickets at a time. The app used barely any data at all, which was surprising and unexpected, I'm also big on saving data so that's nice. I also liked that I didn't feel obligated to buy concessions, but I still have the same problem I've always had with theaters, the previews spoil too much. However, I did like the ease of access, and when I read the way people complain about Moviepass even though it costs $10 less, it doesn't even slightly compare to this far superior product. It is probably not even worth your time to have Moviepass unless you live nowhere near an AMC.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:19:33 AM »
I should also review the AMC A-List Pass.

I didn't see any capability to theater hop as my AMC seems to be vigilant in that regard, but my theater is extremely high traffic. They have people stationed in the hallways, you would definitely get busted. I don't think I could stay at the theater that long anyway, that's too much for me. I intend to use the three movies a week on most weeks, but people like us are in the minority. My brother only goes to three movies a month with his and was talking about only going to two next month. But, if you're paying for a Dolby or IMAX ticket, you should have this instead.

All I had to do to scan my ticket was show them my phone. You're allowed to see three movies a week and you're also allowed to reserve three tickets at a time. The app used barely any data at all, which was surprising and unexpected, I'm also big on saving data so that's nice. I also liked that I didn't feel obligated to buy concessions, but I still have the same problem I've always had with theaters, the previews spoil too much. However, I did like the ease of access, and when I read the way people complain about Moviepass even though it costs $10 less, it doesn't even slightly compare to this far superior product. It is probably not even worth your time to have Moviepass unless you live nowhere near an AMC.

Yeah, Moviepass seemed much more confusing and frustrating to even get a seat in advance. I had heard stories that in many cases, by the time they got to the theater to get a seat, it was already sold out or at best they had a shit seat right in front of the screen in the first few rows. With this AMC pass, you can reserve it well ahead of time AND if you decide you can't make it, cancelling beforehand is simple too.

Sorry to hear they are on lockdown at your local AMC. The one in town is so low key it isnt even funny. 6 screens and usually on an off day, there is literally one or maybe two staff there, and they are only behind the concessions. As far as the other one I go to often, its a 18 screen multiplex (in the same mall that Mallrats was filmed at, little fun fact there) that has no employees around the theaters themselves until after a film is done. There is one point of contact when you enter the theater area off past concessions that just checks tickets, but that's it. So I never have any issues sneaking in anywhere.

Yeah, the Dolby Atmos/AMC Prime (which is a bit of a vibrating chair effect)/IMAX/3D versions of films that are acceptable to use with this pass is a HUGE value to me since I will go to those well before a normal screening anytime.

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 03:32:06 AM »
I'm flying to SoCal one day and we're going to do some movie marathons god dammit.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 12:16:41 PM »

Sorry to Bother You (2018), directed by Boots Riley

I did just review someone's first feature when reviewing Spectral, and it's fair to say that there's an obvious difference in talent levels between Nic Mathieu and Boots Riley. It's always nice to walk into a theater and watch something unique, which is exactly what this film is. The premise is actually quite simple even though things get complicated as the film goes on, both of which are pleasant surprises in their own way. The effort and vision given here is worth seeing for yourself, but if you're reading this thread and this review, you've either already seen this film, want my input, or just don't care one way or another. I'll give you my input, this is a film with a new leading actor, with Lakeith Stanfield finally jumping up to that level. It's a movie with some crazy shit, with things that you wouldn't expect, that goes super outlandish at some points. This is also a film with a message about capitalism, about the things that are expected from black folks, and about selling out. This is a film worth seeing, even if it turns out that you don't like it, there's a hell of a lot here to think about. I am definitely looking forward to Riley's next attempt, should there be one. Most stunning is that Riley says this film cost $3,200,000 to film. You can't tell!

This film takes place in Oakland, an alternative reality version of it anyway, but it's still Oakland. Not to the same extent as other small budget films, though. There's a hell of a lot to this movie, but I'm not going to spoil every single thing this time as some of it is impossible to describe. In this version of Oakland, Cassius Green (Lakeith Stanfield) lives in his uncle's (Terry Crews) garage. He's struggling as hard as someone can be struggling without being homeless. His girlfriend Detroit (Tessa Thompson) loves him, but it's still hard times for our man Cassius. The only job he can find is working as a telemarketer, which is where his friend Sal (Jermaine Fowler) works as well. In a humorous scene where Cassius gets the job, it is made clear that anyone can get those jobs. Also, Cassius' uncle is going to lose his house, cause shit is real tough out there. Unfortunately, this role is a bit part and Terry Crews doesn't say much. Cassius has a hard time selling bullshit to customers, but one day he's seated next to Langston (Danny Glover), who tells Cassius that what he really needs to do is adopt a white voice. That way he'll sell some shit, that way he'll get paid, and that way he won't be struggling so badly.

To set up the rest of the film, here's how Oakland is an alternate version of our current reality. There's a company called WorryFree, run by Steve Lift (Armie Hammer). WorryFree is a company that offers a life where you get free food and lodging, the company ensures that you don't have to pay your bills, but you work for them for the rest of your life. In this reality, it is ruled that this business practice is not equivalent to slavery and therefore totally legal. There's also a group of people who are fervently against WorryFree, called "The Left Eye". Detroit is a member, by the way. Cassius has members of his company, RegalView, attempting to create a union for telemarketers, the main ringleader being Squeeze (Steven Yeun). Lastly, there's an elevator in the building and numerous rumors about the best telemarketer becoming a Power Caller. What the hell's a Power Caller? You're gonna have to watch the movie for more of that because I've spoiled enough and would like to move on. The only thing we know about the elevator at the start, is that Mr. Eyepatch (Omari Hardwick) goes up there every day. I have no idea if that's supposed to be his name in the film, but he's unnamed. The most popular show of the time is also one where people get punched over and over again in the face.

Four characters in this film have "white voice," and I will list three of them in the following line. Cash's white voice is played by David Cross, Mr. Eyepatch's is Patton Oswalt, and Langston's is played by a sound engineer who sounds like Steve Buscemi. I don't want to reveal the last one because that's no fun and I've already spoiled and will spoil lots of other things. This is a film with lots of different messages, some of which are well told and well executed, but the director's vision goes so crazy towards the end of the film that I was left to hope it would end a minute or two sooner. Some things are better left filmed and left at the director's house for their own amusement. Others, on the other hand, are totally cool and necessary to show people, even though I'm convinced this film would have been near a Best Picture nominee without them. Again, those are okay though! There are so many good gags in this film and I was laughing constantly, even at one or two that nobody else laughed at and therefore I probably shouldn't have. I was the only white guy in the theater, and no, I didn't laugh at Cassius rapping at the party. I did think that was an excellent scene.

This movie is super ambitious, but the third act may have been too ambitious even though I enjoyed it. Admittedly, the film does turn into a mess. But that's not really what I want to talk about and to describe it would take up numerous paragraphs, but the messaging is more worthy of my time. I took some time to think about this film before writing down anything, and I think the first thing to point out is that this is a commentary on the current state of America as much as it's a fantasy. The idea that someone gets further in life by acting "less black" is a very accurate commentary, there are numerous instances in the film that show obstacles that are put in place of minorities. The film isn't trying to tell people that black folks have to put on a white voice to get up the ladder, but that people have to conform and act a certain way to be successful. Is that right? Well, no, not really. It simply is what it is. Of course, some people will ignore this message and focus on something different than that. The overall point is indisputable though, in order to succeed in a big business workplace, you must conform to the people who run that workplace, i.e. older white folks.

Another commentary throughout the film is one on capitalism, as well as our ability to do something about it even though we don't have the desire to do so at this time. When I say we, I mean pretty much everyone who does the things Cassius does in this film. Once Cassius does something about it, it's funny to see the results of that, but some of the surrealism of the film takes away from those moments. Still, the lengths people will go to in order to make a buck, it's too much sometimes. There are other things in this film, such as riffs on our prison system and art, but you know, those things create too much plot to be closed in any kind of definitive way. That's what I'm saying about the third act. That stuff is funny, but it detracts from the rest of the film and goes a little too far. It's too ambitious. Now, some other ambitious things really come off. As in this film's trailer, the scenes where Cassius drops down into the living room of people who answer his phone calls are all really good. I don't know if I've seen something like that before. There's another where Cassius moves into a new pad and the fixtures of his old one come apart to reveal the new. These are pretty cool.

Of course, the third act is ambitious to the point of being total nonsense, but I laughed at the way one of our film's characters suddenly become woke due to the ridiculous things they see. Is this also a social commentary? I genuinely don't know, but for some people it takes them seeing a cop walk up to an innocent and shoot them in the head for those people to realize police officers have a problem, so maybe it is a social commentary on those kinds of people. This isn't as good a film as Get Out, which succeeds because it keeps things so much more to the point, and it also conforms to genre norms. This, on the other hand, does not. It's one of the most ridiculous movies I've ever seen, it's also super inspired and detailed, in some cases to the point of being overboard. I would be surprised if any film the rest of the year was as provocative as this one, which ultimately renders some of my complaints totally irrelevant. Isn't a film being provocative exactly what they need. So what if this thing misses from time to time, overall it's really funny and had me thinking a lot.

7.5/10

2018 films ranked

1. Sorry to Bother You
2. Sicario

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 12:27:55 PM »

The Equalizer 2 (2018), directed by Antoine Fuqua

In the entire time I've been writing reviews, I do not believe I've seen a movie and its sequel in such quick succession. In a way, this is the perfect time to test out why or why I don't do that. I still will have to watch the last and current Mission Impossible movies this week, but there's nothing I can do about that at this stage and the damage is done. The point of these last few sentences is, I don't know if that was a good idea. I believe this is Denzel Washington's first sequel, or at least that's what all the advertising told me. This film is a lot different than the first one, though. I will explain as I go on, but really, it's a lot different and not always in a positive way. Where The Equalizer succeeds, The Equalizer 2 decides to get rid of a lot of that stuff. While enjoyable, it's definitely not the same film. So, in that regard, it's just like the other sequel I watched on Wednesday. The thing is, Denzel Washington is a supremely skilled actor. Even when given material that isn't fantastic, even when it isn't what you wanted or what you expected, when he's on the screen all the time you know beyond doubt that he will do everything it takes to entertain people. 100% of the time, he tries, it is only a matter of whether or not the material can be overcome. In this case, I think I would say yes, he did.

Robert McCall (Denzel Washington) has moved on from his job at Home Mart, and has moved on from his old apartment as well. Starting over is easy for a former CIA agent, I suppose. He still lives in Boston, but that's not how the film starts. I will leave that to everyone's imagination. Anyway, implausible as the opening was, we move forward. He still helps out the less fortunate, with his friend Sarah Plummer (Melissa Leo) helping him do so, as in the first film. Robert has decided his next job will be as a Lyft driver, which leads to him encountering lots of different people and listening to their stories, as well as their complaints. There are scenes here that re-establish his character in case people didn't see the first film, and in some ways it might be better if someone didn't see the first film. They don't have the memory of better things in mind, and the film trods over the same ground in order to create a new story. The focus is scattered all over the place as well, but I shall continue. Robert's main fare is Sam (Orson Bean), an old Holocaust survivor who regularly complains to him about a wrong that's been done to him, his sister being separated from him all those years ago.

Susan's role in the story is to help Robert with these kinds of things, including that one. She has found information as well. One day, Robert's apartment complex has been vandalized. In the process of painting it, either Robert meets or we are introduced to Miles (Ashton Sanders), a young man with problems. Miles is interested in art, and Robert likes him, so he gets Miles to paint over the vandalized area of the building. That storyline definitely goes somewhere as well and that isn't exactly surprising. Meanwhile, we are shown a man in Brussels being murdered by a group of scum. Susan and CIA operative Dave York (Pedro Pascal) are sent to investigate, and it turns out that Dave is Robert's former partner. While Susan's in Brussels, Robert keeps on doing his own thing, and we learn more about the other characters in the film as it goes on. Like I said, this film is definitely lacking focus and weaves too many plotlines together at one time.

I don't want to repeat myself for a third time, so I won't, but Denzel Washington's performance saves this from being a horrendous film as a result of its creative decisions. Creating characters who only exist as an attempt to recreate the first film is also not a bright decision. Lots of the things that made the first film good are not here. See, Robert McCall was shown gathering all his own information in the first one. In the second, they skip past a lot of those scenes, and some of the ones early on feature him happening across coincidences or being helped by Susan. This seems like a big error to me. The opening scene, however, is very good. To not give the entire thing away, it takes place in a different country. Our hero is shown wearing different clothes from usual, and he's no longer reading old books, he's reading Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates. This is a pretty cool scene, it is also the only one that we really needed to establish Robert once more, but the film would have struggled mightily without the other ones. I mean, this film really does struggle with some exception.

To list some of those exceptions, let's talk about Denzel Washington again. I wouldn't call this a great film, but the scene where he's beating up yuppies is fantastic. The things he says while doing it are something I couldn't have imagined him saying, he still does it, and it's pretty funny. There's another scene where he's giving a speech. It doesn't matter that this film is a blatant cash grab, he gives a speech that ranks up there with his best. Considering the lead actor and director, it's fair to say everyone knows exactly what they're getting when they go to see this movie. I saw this in Dolby and the sound was unbelievable, my seat was shaking big time every time something happened in the movie. It was really strange for my seat to shake when someone was getting punched in the face. Another good scene features Robert McCall telling someone he's going to kill them while smiling at their children. I mean, there are way too many subplots in this film, but it is borderline impossible for me to dislike.

The first film is better in a violent sense, the killings of evil fucks are better, and I feel that Robert McCall is a more well rounded character in it. Fortunately, this does not feel like another film made with the intention of making another film, and I would be really surprised for Denzel Washington to sign on for a third. The film is all over the place, and if it took this long into his career for Denzel to make a sequel, he won't be part of a trilogy. The film also suffers in one really major regard, we know basically jack shit about Pedro Pascal's character. This was not the case with Teddy in The Equalizer. If anything, we knew too much about that dude. People ultimately pay to see Denzel do his Denzel thing, and if you like that, this is worth your time. Bearing in mind that I paid nothing, I liked this even though it was full of problems and the action wasn't as good as the first time around. It simply doesn't come together as well as it should.

5.5/10

2018 films ranked

1. Sorry to Bother You
2. Sicario
3. The Equalizer 2

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 05:16:03 AM »

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018), directed by J.A. Bayona

This is the first time in some time that I've watched a mega budget film. For whatever reason, I try to avoid them for the most part. I can't exactly explain why that is before talking my way through describing this film, so bear with me. This is also the first time in some time that I've watched one of these Jurassic Park movies. I still remember seeing the first one at a drive-in theater, Mission Tiki Drive-In over in Montclair. Haven't been there in about 15 years, but I still remember going to see Jurassic Park there. That was a really long time ago, and I don't think I'm going to go back to a drive-in anytime soon. To not beat around the bush more than I currently am, this film comes nowhere near close to the magic of the original film. It isn't that the dinosaurs are now CGI, that part doesn't bother me, nor does it bother me that these films no longer use practical effects. That stuff is not a very big deal. They did use some animatronics, but you know, it's not really the same. What's wrong with this film, is that they seem to have run out of logical stories to tell, and are only making these movies with the intention of showing off what CGI can do, or what new dinosaurs they can create with it.

After the events of Jurassic World, a team of mercenaries arrrives at the park site to collect DNA from the bones of an indominus rex, a genetically modified dinosaur whose remains are at the bottom of the park's lagoon. They collect the fragment, but there's a major problem, there's a still living t-rex on the island. It chases one of the mercenaries and their helicopter, but eventually, they're able to get away. Or are they? There's still a huge bigfuck water dino in the lagoon, it can jump out of water as we know, and it eats everything. So, chew on those thoughts. Meanwhile, we head back to Washington DC, at a Senate hearing. Isla Nublar is going to explode as the volcano on the island is about to erupt. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) is giving testimony and says that the dinosaurs need to be allowed to die in order to correct the mistake of their creation. I am in agreement with this theory, they are a potential menace to society and could destroy it. It's just common sense. At the same time, there are lots of other things going on. Like, for example, the fact that the mercenaries left the gates open so that the water dino could leave the island entirely and head out into the ocean.

In a story that is actually different than the usual fare from this series, Claire Dearing (Bryce Dallas Howard), former Jurassic World manager, has created a group to SAVE OUR DINOS. The Senate ruled against saving them as it was a private enterprise in the first place and probably a bad idea. Benjamin Lockwood (James Cromwell), a man so important we have never before heard of him, sends for Claire to come to his estate in Northern California. See, Lockwood and John Hammond were partners, and Lockwood's aide Eli (Rafe Spall) reveals a plan to relocate the dinosaurs to their new island sanctuary. Claire is needed to help a team of mercenaries locate the dinosaurs to bring them to their new home, because nobody else can access the system to log it in. Unsurprisingly, the benevolent group/mercenaries also want Owen (Chris Pratt), and two others from Claire's team, Zia (Daniella Pineda) and Franklin (Justice Smith), will come along with them. As we know, Owen trained a velociraptor, it's the last one that's left, and it's his job to find her. Zia is a veternarian and Franklin is a hacker. Pretty simple, and you'd think that one of our team dies, right?

Unfortunately, this film eschews tradition and none of them die, which sucks. How the hell can we have a Jurassic franchise movie with none of the seemingly good guys dying? FUCK IT, I CAN BARELY TOLERATE THAT. I don't like many of the creative decisions in this film, although it is quite entertaining as you'd expect it to be. I thought I would hate the volcano stuff, but I didn't and that was good. I had the misfortune of sitting next to a very annoying person who laughed at everything, but still, the meat of this film was actually good although I saw no reason to have a long sequence of scenes bringing the band back together. This film could definitely have used some trimming in that regard, but I'm confused by how that could have been done, which leads us to what we have. Still, it's bulky, difficult, and not very fun. Neither is the ending of the film, which features one of the leads doing something truly horrific, something which if they really wanted to do it, someone else should have. I have no idea who decided this was the way to continue the franchise, which will probably never end at this point even though there's no possibility of there ever being another great film from it.

I say no possiblity, because frankly, there isn't. If you look at what made Jurassic Park so great, those things are gone. They featured scenes the likes of which we'd never seen before. We never got to see any moderately realistic movie about dinosaurs prior to that, and Spielberg's effort was focused on revealing the wonders of them in the process of telling his story. That shit is totally gone now. I did enjoy Malcolm reappearing to tell his story once again, but it was too short, there is no character in this even remotely as interesting as he or Dennis Nedry. That's really unfortunate, you would think Toby Jones would fall into that role easily, but it doesn't work out that way. Also unfortunate is that there's no longer any reveal of the park, those reveals are confined to a lab near the end of the film, which simply isn't any big deal at all. The point is, it is very difficult to judge these films separately from one another rather than as a continuation of the franchise, a continuation which doesn't live up to my standards. I still try to do it, but it's hard.

As far as positives go, there is the aforementioned middle part of the movie. The jokes don't always hit for me, but it's good fun and a lot of interesting things happen. The dinosaurs are of course spectacular, and the subplot regarding whether or not human should let these dangerous animals go extinct once again is pretty good. On the same token, there's also the subplot of the way private companies decide to put every commodity, regardless of how dangerous, up for sale. A libertarian paradise I suppose this is. We also learn that one of the characters is a clone, and I'll refrain from saying whom, but unfortunately I saw that coming from a mile away. Of course, it is interesting to think about genetic engineering and the ethics of it, even though there are lots of things in this film that just don't make sense. The director is also given a very difficult task to expand the scope of this film, and while that does lead to an interesting premise, the ending falls super flat for me. The big new dinosaur is interesting, however. I usually hate that made up kind of shit, but the setting in which it exists makes for good viewing, as it has no capability to roam around and do completely outlandish things.

Spoilers incoming in this paragraph. Unfortunately, as I've already touched on, while I didn't hate this film, I think there are now so many weaknesses in comparison to strengths that I believe it's time to retire this franchise. There's basically no chance they ever will, but in that case they should put it in the hands of different people. J.A. Bayona did his best, but he didn't write this movie, once again that was Colin Trevorrow. Did I mention yet that I hated Jurassic World? This was actually better to me than that was, even with its nonsensical ending. Granted, I guess you can't just kill all the dinosaurs, but why does the good guy have to be the one to unleash them into the wild? I think that's pretty ridiculous, and I would have had someone else do it instead. Still, that's only one of the many ridiculous things here, but there's also a lot of fun parts, and as such you could either take or leave this movie. But, there really isn't anything left to do with this franchise other than turn them into horror movies where the dinosaurs eat people at their leisure.

5/10

2018 films ranked

1. Sorry to Bother You
2. Sicario
3. The Equalizer 2
4. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 12:52:48 PM »

Skyscraper (2018), directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber

I have talked extensively with some people here about how I believe the Rock is in too many films, which creates burnout and leads people to not go see them. This is one of those films that I would classify as being simply too much even though there isn't anything wrong with it. The plot is extremely cliched, I've seen tons of movies that are like this, but what keeps the film in the positive column is that it moves quickly. It's still extremely stupid and that isn't the first time I've said that about a collaboration between this director and Dwayne Johnson. I was far too kind to Central Intelligence because I like the Rock and Kevin Hart, but that film stunk pretty hard. This one, I wouldn't go so far as to say it stinks, but that's because of what's on screen rather than anything the director did to make it better. The concept is rather rote, its execution is similar, but I just could not hate this. It was too amusing and sometimes in the wrong way, even though scientifically it doesn't make any sense at all. The Wikipedia page takes the events out of order and spoils everything, by the way.

Let's set this thing up as best I can. Standing at 3,500 feet, 220 stories tall, we have our skyscraper which is neither hero nor villain, The Pearl. All of the floors on this mega building are already constructed, but nobody lives in the building except its owner, Zhao Long Ji (Chin Han). Zhao lives on the top story in the building's penthouse, but the building is actually interesting enough to merit my time. It's curvy, nice looking, and able to be controlled by a stupid tablet. There's a 30 story park around halfway up the tower, it's totally ludicrous. The Pearl is nearly able to take residents, which is what brings us to our story. Will Sawyer (The Rock) is a former FBI man, who had something bad happen to him when he was on a hostage recovery mission. Unfortunately, the guy holding the hostage had a suicide vest, and decided to blow everyone in the house up, including his kid. Our guy Will had survived, but he's now without one of his legs. This is a plot point of sorts, but you know, not really. Other than Dwayne Johnson paying homage to Bret Hart by having an extremely consistent limp, you really can't tell. I have no idea why there was a small outcry from some that an amputee should have played this part, good luck selling this schlock without the Rock's name.

Now that I've set that up, I'll try to explain some of the rest. You can figure out exactly what will happen from my description. This may not surprise you, but Will brought his family with him to Hong Kong. Why? He's testing the building's security out to see whether or not an insurance company can insure the thing, expensive as that would be. His wife Sarah (Neve Campbell) is an Air Force veteran, and his kids are like, I mean, goddamn they're kids in a disaster movie. Those roles aren't characters. Let's skip past that. Apparently, it was Will's former colleague Ben (Pablo Schreiber) who invited Will to do this job, because Will apparently does his work at half the cost of everyone else. According to Will, everything's good to go and their fire security system is great. Will is also given a tour of the Pearl's penthouse, which sets up the rest of the film entirely. Problem is, a team of mercenaries/terrorists hads decided to...HIJACK THE SKYSCRAPER. Their leader is Kores Botha (Roland Moller), apparently a big shot in the terror world, and it appears he is also familiar with Zhao in one way or another.

There are some good gags here, even though the script and events can only be described as boilerplate. My favorite is probably Will's obsession with duct tape. He just loves that shit and so does this director, who constantly brings it up and doesn't forget at any point. My initial reaction after leaving the theater was that even though the film's domestic box office failure is probably due to too many movies with the Rock in them, I think that's a false conception of what this film actually is. This is not a film with too much of the Rock in it, the screen time is relatively shared with other characters. The building jump is also far more plausible than the preview initially led me to believe, with the exception of how fast his character climbed up the crane. That was really ridiculous, and not even close to the end of ridiculous things in the film. Still, I'm trying to talk about the good gags and I can only wonder why the Rock hasn't made an action movie with someone who actually knows how to do it. Why isn't Nicolas Winding Refn trying to make a movie with this guy? I just do not get it. Imagine how things would be if Arnold never made a film with James Cameron? The idea is totally blasphemous. I also liked that Neve Campbell's character wasn't completely helpless, and that her part in the story didn't end once she left the building. Lastly, I think that some of the whining about China's influence on movies is really overblown, even though this is obviously a film geared to their audience.

Now, this movie is really stupid as well as scientifically impossible, but I'm not a scientist so I'll just ignore those parts and talk about what I want. I mentioned him climbing up the crane, that was one mega ridiculous moment, not even close to the only one. It is implausible that someone like the Rock would have the upper body strength to do some of the things he does. I know how he looks and all that, but you know, dude can't hold up a bridge. The villain also has no character, similar to Will's children, and one thing he makes Will do is so absolutely ludicrous I can't believe it was ever filmed. Die Hard this is not, the story is not logical, but I still enjoyed it. This film is like a cartoon and you can take that for what it is, it means logic flies straight out the window. The characters are undeveloped and you should know this, and this film is at least relatively original. At least I can't think of any like this that were about burning skyscrapers, where the actors were tasked with running through indoor parks or breaking windows to create holes in the structure. It's like a cartoon or video game and that's cool, it's nothing to be ashamed of even though the director seems to be totally clueless as to how to create anything other than one-dimensional characters.

I would compare Skyscraper to Dante's Peak. Dante's Peak isn't a great film at all, but it's super memorable. I could tell you almost everything that's in it without having to look anything up, and I could tell you who's in it. I will probably be able to do the same with Skyscraper in the future. It doesn't matter that this film isn't particularly good nor particularly bad. It's fun, but again, I would prefer that Dwayne Johnson star in films made by some quality directors. There are plenty of them out there, they could make something better than the stuff that he's in. If not for him, this film would simply not be made. I should also point out that this film has excellent special effects. The skyscraper is not really there, but it is extremely easy to suspend your disbelief and believe that it is actually there. I don't know who did the special effects on this, but if the film was good I'm pretty sure they would be considered for an awards nomination, even though the fire itself makes practically no sense at all. Don't forget your duct tape.

5.5/10

2018 films ranked

1. Sorry to Bother You
2. Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
3. The Equalizer 2
4. Skyscraper
5. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Next week's schedule:

Friday: Mission Impossible 6
Tuesday: The First Purge
Thursday: Blindspotting

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 02:23:23 PM »

Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018), directed by Christopher McQuarrie

This is the second time I've watched a film and its sequel in such quick succession, and as you may have heard by now, this film is quite awesome. It is also a continuation of Rogue Nation, so there's no new story for this film to start off with, and the previews ensure that you know that. Still, the film does have a lot of surprises. The first thing I noticed was that when Henry Cavill showed up, he has his mustache. CGI removed this was not, and that got a laugh from a lot of people in the theater. Everyone seems to be much more aware of this kind of thing these days. While there wasn't any stunt in this film was crazy as Tom Cruise climbing the Burj Khalifa, there was a lot here to fill my appetite. What's more is that this film wasn't blatant sequel baiting, you could actually see the franchise ending here, even though this should be so critically and financially successful that it probably won't. It goes without explictly stating, even though I will do so anyway, that I loved this film. It only has one apparent weakness.

This film's weakness is something I'll get out of the way instantly, it is very long. Subsequently, the film is set two years after the capture of Solomon Lane (Sean Harris), our bad guy from the first film. The Syndicate has become a new group, called the Apostles. They are fundamentalists who believe in the destruction of our current world order so they can create a new one, and with only great suffering can a great peace be found. In Belfast, Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) receives a new mission, which self destructs after it is read out. This mission is a complicated one. His job is to intercept the sale of three plutonium cores to the Apostles, who are acquiring them on behalf of John Lark. His mission sends him to Berlin, where Ethan meets his good old team. The mission goes south, and in the process of that, he decides to save Luther (Ving Rhames) instead of safeguarding the plutonium, which winds up in the hands of the Apostles. His mission is still to find those goddamn plutonium cores, at whatever the cost. There are some scenes here I will skip, one of which is hilarious.

His mission subsequently takes him to France, where he will have to HALO jump into Paris. Unusually, the CIA decides they want a man on the mission. It appears that Erica (Angela Bassett) is their new director, and her top assassin/agent is Walker (Henry Cavill), a man who will ensure the mission is completed, no matter the cost. On their jump into Paris, things don't go so great. This scene is also excellent and at the rate this franchise deals with stunts, you never know what they'll decide to do. Their job is to infilitrate the Grand Palais, where John Lark is supposed to buy the cores from the Apostles to use in an attack. An arms dealer, the White Widow (Vanessa Kirby), is supposed to act as a broker. Did I tell you yet that Ilsa Faust (Rebecca Ferguson), IMF Director Hunley (Alec Baldwin) and Benji (Simon Pegg) are joining all these people in Paris? Well, I didn't, but I just did. Ultimately, the mission is simple. Break Solomon Lane free, get the cores, prevent the attack. Do as the CIA wants, because they have their man on the job as well.

There are AMAZING scenes and connections in this, it is very hard to describe them all accurately. This isn't a scene, but my favorite connection in this film is between Walker and Hunt. Walker is an actual walker. If you've seen this series, Hunt runs everywhere. I thought this was an interesting contrast, something which made me laugh during a particular scene that turns into a chase. Again, there are too many amazing scenes to name. Everyone's seen the previews, right? I don't recall if there's a preview of the bathroom scene, which takes place quite early on in the movie. This is one of the best 2 on 1 fights ever filmed, yeah, I really went there. The tension is off the charts, and the adversary is totally worthy in every single way. You know this while watching it, too. There's jumping from building to building, the story is really strong and has lots of good and entirely logical points of change, I was really happy to have gone to see this. This is a film with stunts that are beyond explanation, helicopter chases the likes of which I thought weren't supposed to be in these kinds of movies anymore.

This film's main weakness is that it is very long, almost too long. There isn't any real point before the ending at which I decided it was too long, but after the extremely good fake-out scene, I was ready for the film to end. Then, after five minutes, it did. Even though the film is very long, it remains focused, but if you don't like this genre or the capeshit genre, you may well struggle to make it through the film. It is LONG. This isn't any kind of artistic masterpiece, it's an action film, but one with amazing stunts, some of the best ever. It has some of the best chases ever, some of the biggest surprises, and it's funny too. Everyone plays their role excellently, and Henry Cavill is a natural in this kind of film rather than as Superman. I would rather see him doing things like this, and I hope this isn't the end of the franchise. There's simply too much ground yet to cover, too many fancy locations, and the overarching storyline isn't exactly done and over with just yet. Problem is, I don't think Tom Cruise can climb up ropes attached to helicopters for very much longer, so this franchise's shelf life is likely limited. Someone, anyone, has to step up to the plate and do these kinds of insane stunts. Someone, anyone, has to ride their bike helmetless at full speed through Paris. I suspect nobody will.

This review is brief as it is a continuation of the story, but the casting and ideas are unique enough that I would rather someone watch the film than tell them what happened. That's pretty much all I can say about it. There has to be someone that will inevitably replace Tom Cruise when it's time for him to be replaced. Like, seriously. Please? You guys should go see this too. It might wind up in my top ten come the end of the year, it's really that good and has that much stuff in it. The story also makes sense and I can't find any holes in it. Trust me, I've tried. One thing though, if you haven't seen the other films, you may struggle to catch onto one of the plot points. It can be difficult to follow.

9/10

2018 films ranked

1. Mission: Impossbile - Fallout
2. Sorry to Bother You
3. Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
4. The Equalizer 2
5. Skyscraper
6. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 10:06:48 AM »

The First Purge (2018), directed by Gerard McMurray

It may have been a mistake to not watch the other films in this series prior to this one, but this was a prequel so I don't feel so bad about it. Unfortunately, this is a case of very poor planning and I should have known better, but I'm going to do something about that with all franchise films going forward. Anyway, The First Purge is pretty much exactly what I expected going in. I dipped out before the post-credits scene as I didn't think it was important, and in reading about it now, it was simply a preview for the television series. I don't know if I'll watch the series or not. I mean, I really don't know, maybe I will. It sounds more interesting than this film turned out to be. I must admit that I do not know how or if this ties into the other films. I don't know if I'd call this a horror movie either, it's much more an action film with the kinds of jokes you'd find in those. So, what does the first purge actually entail? I'll do my best to explain.

This film follows a few different characters, ultimately revolving around three of them. Skeletor (Rotimi Paul) is not one of those characters, but the film opens with him giving a speech about how he wants to unleash his hatred upon other people. There is a man on the other side of the camera who tells him that will soon be possible. At some unknown time after that, sometime in this century, the government has been overthrown by the New Founding Fathers of America. The first Purge is soon to take place, with some guy and Marisa Tomei announcing a new experiment. Sorry, I never got their names, and I don't think it was very important to know them. This is a film where you need to know faces. The NFFA says that this experiment will take place on Staten Island, where over the course of one night, people will be allowed to purge and commit crimes at their own leisure, without any consequences. Over the course of the film we learn that people are paid to stay on the island and potentially be victimized, and we also learn that the NFFA has the intention of rewarding criminals with cash for their misdeeds.

The characters that this film actually revolves around are as such. There's Nya (Lex Scott Davis), an anti-Purge activist who has been campaigning against this thing for quite some time. On top of that, she seems to have organized places that people can stay in order to avoid being purged. Eventually, she retreats to a church with her friends Dolores (Mugga) and Luisa (Lauren Velez), the latter of whom has a daughter who says basically nothing throughout the film. Nya also has a brother, Isaiah (Joivan Wade). Isaiah has been skipping school and dealing drugs on corners, something which only serves to remind me of better material related to that. I'm sure you guys can think of a lot of better things featuring that kind of story. Isaiah works for Dmitri (Y'lan Noel), an apparent drug kingpin of Staten Island. Dmitri ties back to the rest of the story as well, as apparently he has previously been in a relationship with Nya. What's more is that before the Purge starts, Skeletor and Isaiah have an incident that of course ties back to the rest of the film.

While these events are actually well linked together, that doesn't make the story very good. I believe that a lot of people's feelings related to the film lie with their own political agendas. Obviously, there are things in the film that would piss Republicans off and make Democrats happy to finally be called out for what they actually are. There are strong political parallels here, seeing as Republicans do believe in demolishing programs that harm minorities and other people with economic issues. They are very similar to the NFFA in this way and that's the whole point of the film, but I looked at this film from a non-political perspective when watching it. I am one of those people who while very liberal and almost socialist, I don't always look at movies like these from a political perspective. I'm more interested in whether or not the story makes sense, if the tension is legitimate, if the film is exciting, and how many cliches the film contains. The answer to the last question is that there's a whole lot, the tension isn't so great, and the film is moderately exciting if nonsensical.

As with any film of this kind, there are good scenes, even though some of them don't really make sense. Old grandmas making bombs, yeah, that's pretty funny. I liked it, but it doesn't make sense at all. I also liked the scenes where Dmitri is pretty much the king of thugs, yet knows how to handle himself with a gun the same as Rambo. I mean, man. I liked his character a lot just because of how ridiculous it was, but it definitely takes away some of the realism of this film. Realism isn't something anyone should expect from a franchise like this, but the film is trying to tell you how realistic some of these scenarios are. For the film not to be realistic and to create gang members with the ability to best a team of special forces creates a conundrum that destroys the fourth wall. The amount of characters without problems in execution are very few, but I really liked Dolores. She made me laugh quite a bit, I found no weakness in the character and thought she was great for laughs. Another thing that I learned from this is that Y'lan Noel would make a fantastic Blade. It's practically sacrilege to some to suggest that Wesley Snipes should be replaced, but I think there is now someone to step up and take this spot. I don't expect it, but this actor looks and feels the part.

The First Purge's political commentary is not wrong, and this film correctly takes a political side in pointing out that right wingers take up with white supremacists. It is true that the ideology of the right wing is intertwined with those ideals, but the display of those things on screen doesn't create a good film by itself. I am definitely not against the portrayal of this theme and generally enjoy it in other presentations, but not this one. There is literally no subtlety to anything that happens here. White military men and mercenaries are hired to put on klan hoods and kill black folks. There are scenes where these guys clear out buildings and orders still need to be given for them to kill everyone on another floor. Like, what? The action in this film is good, particularly whenever Skeletor shows up, but much of the plot is a huge pile of nonsense. Marisa Tomei shows up and goes away like a big pile of nothing, what happened to her wasn't even shown on the screen. The First Purge is simply a massive waste of a good idea. There are other ways in which this story could have been told, but this one is really stupid, and I'm glad I didn't give the filmmakers more money than what I paid for my pass. It is hard to circle one event as being the straw that breaks the camel's back, but it blew my mind to see the reappearance of one presumably dead character who got stabbed in the back. I have no idea who thought that one up.

I don't know if this matters, but this is the fastest I have ever produced a review of this size. I feel like I should give this film bonus points for making me have so many things to say about it, but it doesn't deserve that kind of love. I do also appreciate that this film triggered right wing cucks and made them post all kinds of bullshit about the movie. That's a good thing.

4/10

2018 films ranked

1. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
2. Sorry to Bother You
3. Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
4. The Equalizer 2
5. Skyscraper
6. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
7. The First Purge

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »
Taking the politics out of a Purge entry is missing the point entirely. When you go through the series, bear in mind that people didn't "get" the overt anti-ubercon themes until this one where screenwriter/creator James DeMonaco decided to kill whatever semblance of nuance he had left and outright say "the Purge is an allegory for how the Tea Party-ran GOP kills minorities." Weak from a film standpoint, but it's great to have something overtly leftist that isn't wishy-washy neoliberal bullshit.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »
Taking the politics out of a Purge entry is missing the point entirely. When you go through the series, bear in mind that people didn't "get" the overt anti-ubercon themes until this one where screenwriter/creator James DeMonaco decided to kill whatever semblance of nuance he had left and outright say "the Purge is an allegory for how the Tea Party-ran GOP kills minorities." Weak from a film standpoint, but it's great to have something overtly leftist that isn't wishy-washy neoliberal bullshit.

I didn't say take the politics out of the film. I said that there were better ways to create the same message and that the politics of something aren't what I'm focused on when deciding whether or not the film is good. I agree with your last sentence.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »
Marisa Tomei shows up and goes away like a big pile of nothing, what happened to her wasn't even shown on the screen.

Uh...after she confronts the NFFA guy on planting the mercenaries, she's then shown being thrown out of a van into the middle of the Purge where she's promptly executed by said mercenaries.

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 01:39:56 PM »
Yeah shown on surveillance camera. Like it didn't matter.

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 02:24:18 PM »
...you know, like she didn't matter to the NFFA...

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 06:35:12 PM »
...you know, like she didn't matter to the NFFA...

Nobody else did either, and we still got to see what happened to them far more clearly.

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 08:40:44 PM »
It's an intentional choice, though. No matter who you are, even if you've helped them, being against their lies makes you disposable.

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »

Blindspotting (2018), directed by Carlos Lopez Estrada

There are a few things I really love about movies. One is the variety of the events that happen in them, but there's so much more to it than simply the variety in genres. I like seeing when a director or actor is having their first go at a new experience, like being a lead in a decent sized film. I like inventive material, I enjoy when directors and editors play around with the events to make things look unique. I like when there are films that decide to fuck around with your expectations and play with the events. Perhaps most of all, I like seeing locations come to life on film. Oakland is one of those locations that never fails to interest me when these kinds of movies are made. It is happening more and more that filmmakers are deciding to use Oakland as the territory for their film, and why not? It's a perfect location for creating stories the likes of which we need to see. Stories about racism, perception, police brutality, misconception, gentrification, all those things apply to Oakland. Oakland is becoming a new Portland, with that kind of hipster cred comes major downfalls. It is supposed to be a "real" area, problem is that when others swoop down upon that, it is eliminated. Everything I mentioned above is addressed in some way by this film.

This film is about two childhood friends, the things they see and hear, and about both sides of Oakland as well. What do I mean by both sides? The opening credits show you exactly what they mean. The Warriors and their new fans from across the Bay are on the left side. The Raiders are on the right side.  Whole Foods is on one side, skateboarders on another. There are other things, but those are the ones that come to mind. Some of these things are diametrically opposed to one another, others aren't. The filmmakers know exactly what they're doing. Two friends who came up together, Collin (Daveed Diggs), and Miles (Rafael Casal) are our subjects. Miles is white, Collin is black. Collin is a convicted felon, Miles starts a lot of shit and is still not. Collin is just three fucking days away from getting off probation, the events that got him there are something we learn about later in the film. This is particularly good storytelling as to say why any earlier would have blown up the plot entirely. The co-stars, Diggs and Casal, these guys wrote this film and produced it. It is their project, for good or bad. Without Diggs' performances in "Hamilton", there's no way to know if this film otherwise gets made. Good thing it did.

On the first night we encounter these two characters, we learn quite a bit about them before they depart. Once they do, Collin misses his curfew at a halfway house, which is obviously a big deal, but nothing compared to what he saw. He and Miles work as movers, they see the neighborhood being gentrified right in front of them as they move people's shit in and out every day. Back to Collin missing the curfew, he did so because he was stuck at a stop light. At first this event is presented in David Lynchian fashion. It is actually quite bizarre and reminded me of a stock shot he used in multiple episodes of Twin Peaks. Then, as if it was fate for Collin to wait at a stop light for so long, here comes a black man running from the police. There comes a cop. The cop subsequently murders the black man. I don't care what if you disagree with my presentation of cops killing black folks who run, whatever, yadayada, murdered him. There is a scene later in the film where Miles has commentary on the news report, I thought it was incredibly poignant. Anyway, I have now gone well over the amount of time I usually spend on this part of the review. Here's the rest of the film. Collin's former girlfriend, Val (Janina Gavankar), got him a job at the moving company to begin with. Collin is trying to show Val that he has changed his ways, but she absolutely detests Miles. As for Miles, he recently purchased a gun to keep his family safe, a family which consists of a wife/girlfriend and a young son. There you have it.

Anyone who's seen the cast list for this film would wonder why Wayne Knight is in it, and so did I, but his house is one that Collin and Miles are moving. His art is something you can draw your own conclusions from, but it is intended to mean something. Everyone laughed when they saw him, because that dude being in this movie is just funny. For that matter, the movie as a whole is very funny. The last twenty minutes or so can be excepted from that, but I was laughing constantly. The scene in which you find out how Collin got sent to prison was very funny, until it just wasn't. If you've seen this, you'll know. If you haven't, I'm telling you to watch it. I thought Collin's reaction to the police shooting was a dose of reality that a lot of people in White America simply are unable to accept is real. A lot of white Americans would wonder why Collin drove away from the scene and refused to let anyone know about what happened. A lot of white Americans can simply not handle the idea that black folks, especially convicted felons trying to walk the good path, are under immense pressure and practically under assault at all times. Blindspotting handles this subject like nothing else I've seen, and the way it addresses toxic masculinity is similarly impressive. Collin and Miles are man-children who encourage each other to continue behaving in childish fashion, they would be better moving on from one another. It seems that they can't, but perhaps in talking it out, these things could be avoided entirely.

The scenes contrasting both sides of Oakland are something I really want to talk about, but they manifest themselves into one that I don't want to divulge. It is very difficult to describe some of these scenes as well, because the experiences of both these characters do not apply to me. It goes without saying I don't know Collin's experience, I also have no idea what it would be like for someone like Miles to be pushed out of his neighborhood. I don't know what it's like for people to make assumptions about me acting hard as a compensation for being white. I do, however, know what it is like to have a black best friend. In that way, this film plays to me as a buddy comedy, something which reminded me of being younger and having more fun. Because of that, obviously I am biased in favor of this film from the moment I sat down to watch it, there are memories here that are too real for me. There is a distinct difference though. This film takes place in an urban environment whereas my experiences were in the suburbs. My friend and I were not troublemakers. During the party scene, the accusations leveled towards Miles came from a black person in this film. In my experience, the accusations and racist comments about my friends that were made towards us came from white or Mexican people. That is what makes this movie so interesting to me, it is the acknowledgment that people who made the film know what this film actually is and what it's supposed to be. It is also the knowledge that both Casal and Diggs know they do not have the answers to our problems.

If there are any negatives in the film, for me they circle back to the ending, which is actually quite cliched. More than simply cliched, it is too predictable, and it plays out in a way that I do not understand. There is one aspect of it that I found very strong and compelling, but the film ends so abruptly afterwards that I had a problem with it. It simply may be a case where the film created something so special, something that worked so well, that perhaps there is no way to properly deal with the events at the end of the film. There is also no other apparent way to end the film, and those things are literally the only reasons I'm not giving this a 10/10. I suspect that there aren't many people who will see Blindspotting, but this is a film that should probably be nominated for Best Original Screenplay, which would lead more people to check the film out. I don't really expect that to happen, but it is hard to imagine there will be five better original stories than this one. Even though I had a problem with the film's conclusion, I loved this film and would defend it or promote it to anybody. It is nice that this film doesn't preach to those who watch it, it is one that merely lays our society's problems out to be seen. Our problems are extremely disturbing, and Daveed Diggs puts in an incredible performance, something else I will also not be forgetting. This is probably a film I will be thinking about for some time due to the simple realities of it, and how apparent the film makes them. This is a movie that feels like it's a real presentation of urban America, and I couldn't recommend it enough. It is unabashedly true to itself.

8.5/10

2018 films ranked

2. Blindspotting
3. Sorry to Bother You
4. Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
5. The Equalizer 2
6. Skyscraper
7. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
8. The First Purge

Next week:

Sunday: Eighth Grade
Weds: Spy Who Dumped Me (lirl)
Friday: Black Klansman

Offline fazzle

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 12:32:43 PM »
Yeah, I REALLY dug Blindspotting.   I agree with your assessment that a lot of the movie played out like a buddy comedy, but it was so good at knowing exactly when to switch the comedy on and off.

As far as your upcoming list, I personally found Spy to be a lot better than I was expecting, and Eighth Grade to be somewhat of a letdown after all the hype.  Eighth Grade was definitely still the better movie though, don't let those two lines mix that part up.

Offline Hawk 34

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 10:55:56 AM »
I personally don’t believe I’m going to see a better movie than Blindspotting this year because it was simply that top notch.   I’m still baffled at you thinking MI is superior to Blindspotting. 

I’m not going to remember that I saw Tom Cruise do ridiculous stunts in a couple weeks, I’ll remember Blindspotting for a very long time and anyone else who does see Blindspotting will also feel that way about Blindspotting.

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 11:00:27 AM »
I personally don’t believe I’m going to see a better movie than Blindspotting this year because it was simply that top notch.   I’m still baffled at you thinking MI is superior to Blindspotting. 

I’m not going to remember that I saw Tom Cruise do ridiculous stunts in a couple weeks, I’ll remember Blindspotting for a very long time and anyone else who does see Blindspotting will also feel that way about Blindspotting.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/mission-impossible-fallout

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/blindspotting

I loved the movie but obviously I'm not the only one.

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
Eighth Grade (2018), directed by Bo Burnham

Eighth Grade is a movie that I genuinely didn't know if I'd like before going to see it. I wasn't sure if the things in this film would resonate with me, as after all, I've never been a 14 year old girl. I also don't understand the way that kids these days are attached to their phones, to social media, and the value that kids derive from such things. What I didn't realize was that there were going to be so many moments that I was able to understand, things I did find amusing, and that this film did fit in with my views of people that age. Eighth grade is genuinely rough shit, almost nobody had good experiences in eighth grade, and the things that happen when you're that age are things you simply won't forget. They are events that will form you into the person that you are now. If you don't remember them, it's probably because things happened to you that made you want to forget. Simply put, that's the way things are. As that relates to the film, I find it totally bizarre that a 27 year old comedian put together something like this, but after reading more about Bo Burnham, it makes a lot of sense. It also feels like his creation of this film would have had to involve a lot of research on the subject, as after all, just like me, he was never a 14 year old girl.

This film has been described as this year's Lady Bird, but to know that I would have had to have seen Lady Bird in the first place. Kayla Day (Elsie Fisher) is the aforementioned 14 year old girl, she's in eighth grade. No shit, right? She's in her last week of middle school, which to some is the most horrible existence imaginable. Kayla posts motivational videos on YouTube, but you know from the very start that these videos are about people other than herself, and do not reflect her own experiences in the least. Nobody watches these videos either, which of course, she knows. Fortunately for Kayla, she isn't bullied, but she isn't super popular either. She has no friends, her YouTube channel is a reflection of her life, nobody is paying attention to anything she says. I shouldn't say nobody, because her dad Mark (Josh Hamilton) is paying attention. The problem is, as everyone here knows, when you're the age that Kayla is, you aren't paying attention to your parents. The other aspect is, with the way kids use social media now, they identify even less with their parents. Kayla wins an award for "Most Quiet", which serves to reflect her social standing.

One day, Kayla is invited to a pool party, and it's weird because it's one of those situations a lot of people have encountered. Her classmate is completely uninterested in her, and only invites her because her mom puts her up to it. We learn that her mom is interested in Kayla's dad. Go figure. That's a plot line that wisely doesn't go anywhere, but Kayla goes to the pool party regardless. This is where we learn a whole lot about her, she has an anxiety attack in the bathroom, she obviously doesn't want to be there, but she went only because one of the videos she made encouraged that other kids her age put themselves out there. So, she goes, and we learn more and more, including that she has a crush on some kid who seems like a total douchebag. That's something you don't learn later in the film, you just know. Eventually, she joins the party, and even though she tries to call her dad so she can leave early, she volunteers to sing karaoke. These scenes are so cringe inducing that I was immediately brought back to instances of my childhood that are comparable to the things in this film.

This movie is really weird in the way it presents things I believe to be problems, but deep down I know that's just the way things are going to be. Screen addiction is the main culprit here. I do think it's a huge problem for kids to have their phones attached to them this way, but at the same time, isn't it hypocritical for adults to judge? Adults are the ones that set this pattern of behavior in motion, it is adults who got cell phones to ensure that anyone can call them at a moments notice, and it is adults who decided that they wanted internet on their phones. These are simply facts, and for people's children to be so addicted to their phones is hardly a surprise, in fact it should be expected. That's simply the way things are always going to be. The film also presents a scene where students are preparing for a potential school shooting, which I obviously consider to be a gigantic problem, but that aspect is overshadowed by a conversation that happens during the middle of it. Kids do not need to take these things seriously, and the film shows that not all of them do. That's actually a good thing. It's also a bit strange that this film's rating made it so that the people who needed to see it most are unable to. If you're a parent and don't think 13 year olds are mature enough to handle this film, you have a serious problem.

I don't think this was a perfect film by any stretch, if anything there were too many scenes that made me cringe and feel uncomfortable, but that's also the point of the entire exercise. See, I had an opposite experience of Kayla. I did not have these problems in middle school, by contrast mine came about in my senior year of high school. One major weakness of the film that made me cringe too much came towards the end, involving a boy, and that sentence speaks for itself. It was too much. On the other hand, a lot of films, like Kids for example, have gone far beyond that. That's probably why I don't watch them. I would still classify this as being a film you'd only want to watch one time, the cringe factor is really far off the charts. In some respects the film is also overrated because some reviews have decided to present this as a perfect picture of eighth grade. Maybe for those reviewers it was, but that's not what happened to all of us.

It is true that kids are too focused on being cool, and these days, being attached to their phones is a huge part of that. I have a relative who is going to be like Kayla in two years, the thought of which is actually quite disturbing. I am being careful not to leave identifying information in this review, but it is not just me who realizes that children are putting too much importance on their social life. I simply did not have these problems at that age. The film is still incredibly accurate in portraying that kids now do have those problems, and there are lots of funny scenes in this film. I wasn't the only person laughing, which is always one of my greatest fears. Another strange aspect of the film, and actually of society as a whole, is that Mean Girls has become reality. It is the new normal. The performances in this film, and particularly of Elsie Fisher, are really accurate. The scenes leading to the end of the film are quite upsetting, and it's probably bad to say this, but once they were over, I felt happy that I never tried to make anyone do something like that. I am probably not the only one who exited the film with such feelings, that thankfully these things did not happen to, or were not done by them.

8/10

2018 Films Ranked

2. Blindspotting
3. Eighth Grade
4. Sorry to Bother You
5. Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
6. The Equalizer 2
7. Skyscraper
8. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
9. The First Purge

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
Re: 2018 Movies in Theaters Review Thread: There Will Be Spoilers
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »

The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018), directed by Susanna Fogel

This is the first time I have went to the theater while sick. I genuinely had no idea how much of this movie I was going to watch, because it felt like my gut was going to explode. Fortunately it did not, but that isn't supposed to be a statement about this film as a whole. I had a bunch of things I wanted to say about this movie that I'd thought of on the drive home, but I have genuinely forgotten all of them. So, I took about twenty minutes before continuing on with the review from this point. It is difficult to describe this movie in a conventional way. It is too many things all at once, some of which are actually great, and others which aren't. The Spy Who Dumped Me is a movie that made me laugh quite a bit, it is also one with a plot that made me cringe. Mission: Impossible - Fallout this certainly is not. I think this may have been even more disjointed than The Equalizer 2. It is not that it is entirely nonsense, it is merely that the plot is. This is a film that actually could have been much more, but it could have been worse, it could have been completely stupid.

Audrey (Mila Kunis) and Morgan (Kate McKinnon) are best friends, and this sentence would probably put quite a few people off the film to begin with. I am not one of them. Audrey has just broken up with her boyfriend, Drew (Justin Theroux), and as the title indicates, he dumped her. It was actually via text. Anyway, Audrey's birthday came around about a week after that, and she was out celebrating. Or, you know, not really celebrating. It may not surprise you to learn that Morgan is a bit out there in ways that there are no way to entirely describe, other than to steal words that someone else has no doubt used. Over the top feminist? I guess that works. Morgan puts Audrey up to burning Drew's stuff, and at the same time we learn that Drew is on the run from some bad dudes. He has to shoot his way out of a situation in Lithuania, and it made the film seem like it was going to be entirely similar to that scene. It wasn't. After it is decided to burn Drew's things, Morgan sends him a text, and Drew calls to tell them not to burn anything. He'll be there the next day.

Subsequently, we move forward to the next day. Drew was scheduled to arrive and pick up his stuff, a fact that some people were no doubt aware of. A guy named Sebastian (Sam Heughan) arrives at Audrey's workplace to buy some gum. Or not. Instead, he packs her into a creepy van with his buddy Duffer (Hasan Minhaj), at which point they tell her some stuff she doesn't know. Apparently Drew is or was in the CIA. Fast forward a little bit to when Audrey goes home, because after all she doesn't know anything. When she comes home, she tells Morgan about Drew being part of the CIA, at which point we learn that a creepy guy from the bar the night before was returning Morgan's driver's license. Drew arrives and gets hurt, telling Audrey that she needs to go to Vienna the next day. Nothing else will do, and now she is in grave danger. Not much surprise there, everyone knows exactly what they're getting into when they go to see this one.

While the film is largely what I expected, in other ways it is not. I didn't expect to like the Kunis and McKinnon duo this much. While the film burns down around them at times, their comedic timing works and keeps things entertaining. The movie gets saved by these two, and it is interesting to see McKinnon make the jump from SNL jokes to this. The only movies I've seen with her in them are this and Ghostbusters, and this was better in the way that it allowed her more freedom to say anything that came to mind. A lot of the jokes here are such that it is hard to imagine the movie making it to basic cable television. That's good! I would have liked the movie to be entirely about this duo rather than about what it was actually about. I have no doubt that we will see them together in a movie once again. I also didn't expect to see the violent parts for what they were, a papering over the cracks of a rotten plot. The ending and epilogue were so bad that I can't even describe them. I was left stunned by both.

Some of the violent parts were quite good, but again, they paper over the cracks. This film takes place in a manner that leads to our duo heading all across Europe, to far too many countries in fact. I counted five. That's way overdoing things. That's also not what great action films usually do. You could say that Mission: Impossible - Fallout does the same, but it's totally not the same. Two of them come so early in the film that it isn't even remotely about those countries, but there are distinct points of this film that take place in those foreign countries. I would have no problem with this if it made sense for them to go to so many of them. There's simply no reason for it. To go back to the violent parts, yes, they were good. Someone puts anothers head in a pot of fondue. Someone else is killed by being suplexed onto their head. Another person falls onto swords. However, the manner in which some of those stories are told, or in which those characters exist, doesn't really make sense. Gillian Anderson plays a big shot at MI6, her role is entirely windowdressing for McKinnon to make jokes. Nothing else she or the opposing spies do makes any sense at all.

I think it would be foolish to take this film too seriously, which is why I liked it. I'm not going to give it a high score or anything, but I really liked the buddy comedy aspect of this. That the director can't put together a good plot is not my problem. There are still lots of funny moments here and I like both actresses a lot. I think basically everyone on this forum has been watching Kunis since That 70's Show, or at least I assume most people here watched that at some point. That show is a classic to me even though it's a bit tainted now due to the things Danny Masterson has done, but it was always obvious that Mila Kunis would be this famous. It's deserved. However, if forced to pick one person as overdelivering based on what this film deserves, it's her co-star. McKinnon's jokes here are just above what the plot deserves, and they're constantly funny. They're also really crude and over the top. A lot of people can't handle when women make jokes like these and they don't find them funny. I do. So, this definitely isn't for everyone. I would have preferred the plot remain coherent, but it simply wasn't, and if you think that's going to be a problem you shouldn't watch this.

5.5/10

2018 Films Ranked

2. Blindspotting
3. Eighth Grade
4. Sorry to Bother You
5. Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
6. The Equalizer 2
7. The Spy Who Dumped Me
8. Skyscraper
9. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
10. The First Purge

I should also explain that when I rate something below a 5, it means the film has very few redemptive factors at all. That's probably why I don't give too many of those ratings.

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »
Spoilers everywhere, but I left a line where I thought I really went overboard with them from that point on

BlacKkKlansman (2018), directed by Spike Lee

This was probably the film I have been looking forward to the most all year. There are many reasons for that. First, it's a Spike Lee take on a subject that is currently one we are dealing with in our nation, white supremacy. Second, it's set in the 1970's and I love that shit. Third and probably most importantly, it's an investigation into the activities of a KKK chapter. It's definitely the kind of movie that we need at this time. I was also curious to know if this would measure up to other classic Spike Lee joints, and if the portrayals of KKK members were believable. Of course, everyone's probably seen the trailer, the long version of which is slightly misleading as to what this movie actually is. You know, that's a good thing too. I don't think I could have handled the material being as entirely comedic as the trailer portrayed. The stuff BlacKkKlansman seems to ridiculous to be true, except for the fact that no doubt it is. How dare you doubt a former police officer, anyway. Isn't that the shit we keep having to hear from some corners? Is it time for a Spike Lee revival? This film is perhaps an indicator of that, I believe it is one of his best. His voice is needed in these current times.

It feels like BlacKkKlansman is a film that should start a franchise about white scum getting taken down by black police officers. Instead, it certainly will not be. First, we are greeted with speeches from Dr. Kennebrew Beaureguard (Alec Baldwin), played next to clips from Birth of a Nation and other neo-Confederate propaganda. This scene is actually horrifying in terms of the things he says, but it's lightened up by the way the lines are fed to him by a woman off screen and the way he stumbles over them. Still though. That scene sets the tone for the film, which is about Ron Stallworth (John David Washington), someone who wishes to become a police officer in Colorado Springs. To be specific, he wants to become the first black police officer in that department. He is initially sent to the records room, but naturally his services are needed elsewhere and he doesn't last long there. Instead, it is time to become an undercover officer. He meets his team, which consists of Flip (Adam Driver), Jimmy (Michael Buscemi), and himself. First of all, before I continue, I didn't know there was another Buscemi and I thought this was Steve in the role. Go figure that one.

Their first operation takes them to a meeting where a man named Kwame Ture (Corey Hawkins) is speaking to black students. Do you see why they chose Ron for this operation? His job is to sit in the crowd and listen to Kwame speak, to see whether or not he is inciting people in the crowd to go kill people, and whether or not those people in the crowd talk about it. He does incite, the people don't talk about it, and the operation plays out like that. While Ron's sitting there, he's undercover, and he meets a woman, Patrice (Laura Harrier). Patrice is interested in the black power movement, and you could say Ron believes in the movement to some extent as well. Almost every rational human being, so about 30-40% of the population, believes in the movement too. That's my opinion anyway. We move on to their next operation. Ron sees an ad in the paper advertising the Ku Klux Klan. Ron calls the number and speaks to Walter (Ryan Eggold), their chapter head. Obviously Ron can't join the KKK himself, he's black. Or can he? There's a perfect, model white officer in his unit who can stand in for him! Over the course of the rest of the film, Ron encounters two quite interesting people. There's Felix (Jasper Paakkonen), a firebrand who is beyond loyal to the cause of white power. The guy isn't even from this country and I was stunned by his performance. There's also David Duke (Topher Grace), who everyone here should be familiar with.

This is a film with lots of aspects I want to talk about, but first I'll bring up the most simple ones. The performances of Paakkonen and Washington should launch their careers into overdrive. I just got home and found out Felix was played by a Finn, I can't believe it. Nothing about his performance would indicate this. Similarly, there is no indication that Washington would perform this well either, other than that acting is in his blood. Yes, he's Denzel Washington's son, but there are lots of bad actors who are children of our great performers. These two roles should launch their careers and they were the things I was left thinking about performance wise. Everyone already knows Adam Driver is good in these roles, and most of all he's believable. Topher Grace as David Duke is something I will also never forget. This film is a masterclass of character acting. It's a masterclass of a lot of other things too, this is a very powerful film that people shouldn't forget.

SPOILERS BELOW THIS LINE

The ending is something I don't want to spoil, but this is a spoiler thread so I might as well go at it. I was moved by the way the film ended, but that's something I should explain. First, it was cool when Ron revealed himself to David Duke, but there was also the matter of the klan members knowing where he lived. When they panned over to his house and someone knocked on the door, I genuinely thought the intention was to snap things back to reality and for us to see them shoot Ron's girlfriend. Instead, we get a classic dolly shot that had me freaking out on the inside because I love that shit, then another scene that leads us into a montage of Charlottesville. The dolly shot was amazing. For those who don't know, the one year anniversary of the Charlottesville march and murder of an innocent woman protesting white supremacy is tomorrow. That was the entire reason this film was released today rather than during awards season. I wanted to scream at the fucking screen, I really did. I think the ending is flawed in the sense that the film had already well established the connection between this film and our modern world. I guess you could call it heavy handed and be right, but it is very powerful for us to pan straight over from a cross burning to a nazi march that happened just a year ago. That wasn't the only thing in the montage either. It made me sick, the ending is one of the most powerful things I have seen when around other people.

There is one major flaw in having Nicholas Turturro in the film as a KKK member, but it was the only thing to break my immersion the entire time. Yeah, I think that's pretty bad casting too. I can't imagine what it would be like to play one of these guys in a movie, the things that they say are as far overboard as you'd expect. Spike Lee held absolutely nothing back at all. Related to the ending again, there is a moment where the police force comes together as a real force, where the film promotes teamwork and stuff that's really important, only for a higher up to blow the entire thing apart. That pissed me off a lot, and it really is the way things are. This is a really honest film that is excellently made, I can't say enough. There is a scene towards the end where white and black power meetings are put into contrast with one another. I don't know if I was the only person in the theater who realized that these scenes were contrasted with one another, but the contrast is quite obvious to those who pay attention to the way things are. It felt like a classic movie, besides the one bad casting decision I mentioned as well as the investigation wrapping up a bit too quickly. I guess that's like reality.

It isn't only that the film is authentic and honest in terms of the way it presents these events, or the way in which you can easily contrast them to our current time, but it's also really funny. The constant outbursts of racial slurs are not so funny, but the context in which they're said is definitely funny at times. There are lots of other scenes played for laughs, including those in contract to our current time. The investigation can be fun. So can a few of the klan members. There's a really fat one who seems like peak "we are the master race" kind of guy who in actuality has horrible genetics, looks like a slob, and is probably still a virgin. It's funny how that works and his character is very amusing. I did recently watch a movie where someone infiltrated a KKK chapter, it was Imperium. I did like that movie and thought it was good at showcasing how these movements are formed and lead to violent attacks, but this film had so much more overall depth. Spike Lee is back, his film deserves recognition, and I want to hear more of what he has to say. Literally the only reason I can't give this a higher rating is because of Nicholas Turturro's casting. It took me out of the film for at least five minutes. Give this film some nominations and some love please.

9/10

2018 Films Ranked

1. BlacKkKlansman
2. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
3. Blindspotting
4. Eighth Grade
5. Sorry to Bother You
6. Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado
7. The Equalizer 2
8. The Spy Who Dumped Me
9. Skyscraper
10. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
11. The First Purge

Next week:

Sunday: The Meg
Thursday: Slender Man
Friday: Mile 22

Offline fazzle

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2018, 11:55:45 PM »
I haven't read the BlacKkKlansman review yet because I haven't seen it (probably going to today) but I HAVE seen Slender Man and I can't wait for your review of that piece of shit.  I'll be shocked if it gets above a 2.5

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »

The Meg (2018), directed by Jon Turteltaub

I had to think for a while about how I wanted to tackle this review. I mean, clearly this is not Jaws. Everyone knows that before they turn this on. I had been interested in this film for a few months, but I thought the premise was entirely different. See, I had seen things that would indicate Jason Statham was a surfer who tried to kill a big shark. That isn't what this movie is. What it is, is something that is simultaneously hilarious and super cheesy. I can see why this made a lot of money in the first week ($141 million), but at the same time I'm a bit surprised. I didn't realize that Chinese box office receipts would push this movie that far, but after seeing how much of this film does revolve around China, I shouldn't be entirely surprised. I will be surprised if this film carries weight in the following weeks, because overall it is quite thin and I assume a lot of people who wanted to see it already did. Still, if you like sharks, and especially if you liked Deep Blue Sea, this is probably just for you.

The Meg is admittedly a stupid movie. Just go with it. It starts with Jonas Taylor (Jason Statham) doing a rescue in the very deep sea. He is trying to save a group of scientists, including Dr. Heller (Robert Taylor). It doesn't go very well, and Taylor sees the hull of the submarine being rammed by a strange creature. Two of his crew are stuck in the damaged submarine, and Jonas decides that he is going to get them all killed if he doesn't do something. So, he decides to take his rescue boat back up, avoid the creature, and get two of his crew killed. The events after that lead to Dr. Heller deciding that Jonas had psychosis and wasn't thinking clearly, because nothing could possibly have been big enough to destroy a huge submarine. Or was it?

Five years later, Jack Morris (Rainn Wilson) is a billionaire with money to blow and interest in science. I don't know who this character is supposed to resemble. Elon Musk? He runs a research facility called Mana One, which is run by Dr. Zhang (Winston Chao) and his daughter, Suyin (Li Bingbing). At least, it seems like it's run by his daughter. Their plan is to find out whether or not the Marianas trench is deeper than what it really seems. They believe that chemicals are passing off for an ocean floor, that a submersible could really go down further and see what's down there to record its real depth. The mission is being conducted by a crew that consists of Jonas ex-wife Lori (Jessica McNamee), so you know that's going to play into the story somehow. The remaining team consists of Toshi (Masi Oka), The Wall (Olafur Darri Olafsson), DJ (Page Kennedy), Mac (Cliff Curtis), and Jaxx (Ruby Rose). The first two of those are on the initial submersible that heads down into the trench. What the hell do you think happens after that point?

It's hard to describe The Meg, because it isn't really in the vein of most other shark knockoffs. Deep Blue Sea revolves around the researching station entirely, that isn't the case here. This film does have the natural cliche characters that similar shark/snake movies have, it is also extremely similar to all those movies. This is cliche to the maximum, nothing in this goes beyond your expectations. However, it is quite funny. Warner Bros. knew this and decided to make this film pretty much a comedy rather than treat the material seriously, because really, you can't. This film is going to make so much money that I'm concerned as to whether or not they will turn this into a franchise, but they really shouldn't. The film is basically neither good nor bad. I suppose this film could have used more gore, but at the same time I don't think it was entirely necessary for all that to be there in the first place. The creature is a great case of CGI and there are some hilarious and good scenes with him in it.

I laughed quite a bit, but the movie doesn't make sense and I know it. The best thing in this movie is Jason Statham and this has a super ridiculous ending. It is great fun in a theater, though. I was surprised by how much this film was catered to China, but that isn't the only time such a movie has been released this summer. I don't think it's bad for films to cater to China, but some other people do for whatever reason. If it means we get more monster movies, that's great and I can't complain. Even if they're not good, they're still fun. One criticism beyond calling this a basic film is that the megalodon doesn't dispose of enough characters, nor does he eat enough people in the water at the beach. Big mistakes! This is definitely a movie that isn't supposed to provoke any thoughts in your mind, it's there to make money. I could take it or leave it, but at the same time, if I didn't see this in theaters I would have felt like I really missed out. That alone is worth at least half a point, but when fat stereotypical Chinese kid wind up in the water, it's time to have the shark eat them. Right? I understand this is a short review, but I can't think of anything else to say about this.

5.5/10

2018 Films Ranked

1. BlacKkKlansman
3. Blindspotting
4. Eighth Grade
5. Sorry to Bother You
7. The Equalizer 2
8. The Spy Who Dumped Me
9. Skyscraper
10. The Meg
11. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
12. The First Purge

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 12:23:39 PM »

Slender Man (2018), directed by Sylvain White

Slender Man would seem to be what happens when a studio decides that they really want to make a movie even though they don't have the material to make a compelling one. This is something that can best be described as a film that should have never been allowed to be made. It isn't really that the material is morbid, even though it is, I don't actually care about that part. As everyone knows, Slender Man is entirely fiction and thew two young girls thought that Slender Man was real. So, they wanted to prove their loyalty to Slender Man by killing someone, which they tried to do. Fortunately, they were not able to kill their friend. I did not watch the documentary, Beware the Slenderman, which probably would have been a better way to spare my time, but the point of the documentary and of the story in total is that the internet can be a very bad thing. This film, on the other hand, does nothing to tell you any of that stuff. It is also not supposed to be a presentation of the attempted  murders, it is its own story. This was clearly an attempt to make Slender Man a figure like Michael Myers. Let's put it this way. There is no way that should or could have ever happened.

Slender Man is a film that Screen Gems demanded should be PG-13, which makes any screenplay option...very bad. Screen Gems is also generally a bad studio, so signs are that this wouldn't be good. May scenes are removed from the film, and in fact you can tell that some context is really missing. One night, in a small town somewhere, a group of four girls decides to summon...THE SLENDER MAN (Javier Botet). Wren (Joey King), Hallie (Julia Goldani Telles), Chlose (Jaz Sinclair), and Katie (Annalise Basso) have their own group dynamic, and their friendships are ranked in order of importance to the film. There is no real narrative to this story, with the exception of two things. The first is that Katie disappears, and the other three girls learn that Katie had interest in occult stuff. They believe Katie wanted to be taken by the Slender Man, so guess what? That's what happened.

Afterwards, the three girls decide to make contact with the Slender Man. The idea is that if you want to make contact with Slender Man, you must destroy something important to you in a ritual, because that's what Slender Man wants. Wren destroys some pottery she made when she was young, Chloe destroys the only remaining picture of her and her dad, and Hallie destroys a blanket. Just, what the fuck. Seriously. Wren has been researching these things and tells the other two girls to keep their blindfolds on. Naturally, one doesn't, she goes insane, and dies. Then, as the rest of the movie continues, they each die one by one until it's over. And that's it.

This is probably the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters, which isn't saying a whole lot in all honesty. Until recently I didn't go to the theater, like, ever. The story is entirely incoherent and doesn't build towards any conclusion, as I said, they all just die. The characters in this movie besides the five listed are entirely unimportant, and sideplots are dropped like they don't matter at all. I have a feeling Screen Gems really fucked around with this film, but I'm not sure it would have mattered. It's just plain bad, there's only one redeeming quality at all. I laughed numerous times at the special effects scenes, I don't care if I was disturbing other people in the theater, but I thought they were funny. I also thought it was funny that the corrupt agent from Black Dynamite was playing a drunk in this. So, that's two redeeming qualities.

The redeeming quality that I actually wanted to talk about, was that before the end I thought the effects and stuff of the Slender Man were actually quite decent. They got the look down well enough, but the end with him walking like a spider, I don't know. Another thing I liked was that they didn't show the trailer for A Star is Born again, because I've seen it at least ten times by now. Honestly, that's just about it. I didn't have to pay to see this, and if I did I would probably get angry because this was so terrible. The story was not cohesive, it wasn't a particularly scary movie, and there wasn't anything resembling violent death. Again, everyone dies, but it isn't in a funny way at all. They get swallowed up into trees. Alright? I spoiled the whole movie. I just don't care. I can see why Sony didn't want to market this film, it just stunk. I'm no horror historian, but this film has so many problems. Awful movie, I laughed a lot, probably not worth seeing in theaters. Just saved you a bunch of time.

2/10

2018 Films Ranked

1. BlacKkKlansman
3. Blindspotting
4. Eighth Grade
5. Sorry to Bother You
7. The Equalizer 2
8. The Spy Who Dumped Me
9. Skyscraper
10. The Meg
12. The First Purge
13. Slender Man

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 10:50:20 AM »

Mile 22 (2018), directed by Peter Berg

Mile 22 is the fourth pairing of Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg, and Mile 22 is getting absolutely savaged by critics and could wind up being the last collaboration between them. Or, maybe that part doesn't matter at all. It is impossible to know what Mile 22 is from its previews, I honestly couldn't tell and was just guessing from the one line summary on Wikipedia. That summary has now expanded massively, plus I don't like copying things in the first place, so I won't be writing that down. This film was produced and distributed by STX Films, which usually means that you're going to get a bad movie, but I suppose that isn't entirely guaranteed. As I said with A24 being seen as a badge of guaranteed greatness, such things are not always true. To bring things back to promotional material, the poster I saw outside the theater features Wahlberg with a gun, apparently being dubbed as "Option 3." Surprisingly, that was explained in a way everyone could understand. Some of the things said about this film, on the other hand, don't make sense at all. Like, for example, Wahlberg's character being called the first bipolar action hero. What?

The movie begins with James Silva (Mark Wahlberg) with his team in Russia. We learn that his team is called Overwatch, and later in the film we learn that they resign their jobs in the government prior to going on these missions. James Bishop aka Mother (John Malkovich) runs these missions from eyes in the sky, or cameras, or simply heat signatures, etc. He tells everyone what to do and they go along with it. In his office, he has bobbleheads of each of our recent presidents, the last of whom makes me sick. Apparently their mission is in Russia, but this is absolutely not made clear at all. I thought their mission was in the US, but anyway, Overwatch has other team members. Alice (Lauren Cohan) is apparently the second most important of these, and Sam (Ronda Rousey) is third. Everyone else doesn't really matter that much. Anyway, their mission is to take out an FSB safehouse. It doesn't go that great, but it's alright. Their team successfully kills everyone in the house, including an 18 year old Russian boy.

After those events, we move forward a bit more than a year, to a city called Indocarr. Why not just say Indonesia? Talk about stupid. Anyway, there's a man, Li Noor (Iko Uwais) who is burning his passport, photos, and ID. Then we're introduced to more things about our American characters, such as Silva being bipolar, Alice having a major familial problem and probably also being mentally ill, and that's just about it. It's also Ronda Rousey's birthday. Bishop wears Converse and conducts these missions from a location far away. Anyway, Alice had information from an asset, it turned out to be faulty information, and the team is now looking for caesium which can apparently be used to do worse things than nuclear weapons. Silva confronts Alice and Sam in the women's restroom, then there's an incident outside of the US embassy in Indocarr, which is where our characters are. Li Noor has apparently driven his car into some bicycles outside, and he has a disc, which leads to the Americans taking him into the embassy. We subsequently learn that Noor is Alice's asset, that he will reveal the location of the caesium, but he wants out of the country. Mile 22 is a reference to how many miles the team has to go before they can extract Noor from this apparently very corrupt country.

Unsurprisingly, the plot is total bullshit, and is nothing greater than what I've explained. Perhaps a  professional writer could do a better job, but the plot is very nonsensical in the first place. That's not what anyone's here for. The film has Iko Uwais, so we're here for action and great choreography, period. I shouldn't say "we're here." I haven't seen The Raid. I should say that's what everyone else is here for and what should be expected of the film in the first place. The action is good, but has major problems. Either the director or editor decided they wanted to hack everything up into scenes with at least 50 cuts, and the film consistently made me dizzy. Fortunately, the film was very short. I was starting to have problems with my eyes by the end of it. When these scenes aren't happening, all the exposition needed is jammed into the film as hard and as fast as possible, with all the dialogue being said as quickly as could possibly come out of someone's mouth. This film definitely holds nothing back and gives the viewer no opportunity to think. There is too much senseless killing, it needs to be said. This movie is ultra-violent.

Of course, I did leave some details out, one of which I do have to bring up. That Russian thing? It comes back up in a hilarious manner, something that actually made sense. Of course, it's foreshadowed for the entire film, but I was led to believe that the Russian were commanding our...Indonesians. That wasn't the case. I think some of the people comparing this to all-time bad movies are way off base, that just isn't true. There are lots of bad things about this movie, but there's quite a bit of good too. That the film is so short is a huge bonus, and it felt like an attempt to create something different, dissimilar to Mission: Impossible. While it's obviously dissimilar and obviously worse than those movies, it has its plus points. First, the scenes where Iko Uwais is forced to use his martial arts are great beatdowns, even with the overboard cutting and chopping of these scenes. The opening scene is very good and led me to believe I was watching something better than this actually was. John Malkovich is cast perfectly. His lines, such as those calling Wahlberg's character a "bipolar fuck," fit in perfectly with what I was thinking at the time. This movie also treats its action similar to a horror movie, where the good guys actually die. Go figure!

To wrap things up here, I need to mention that this is an attempt to kick off a franchise, and blatantly so once the end of the movie comes. Mile 22 ends without resolution, so even though deaths are well timed, the actions is good even though it makes me dizzy, and even though John Malkovich says the right things, the film as a whole leaves me with a really bad taste in my mouth. I hate blatant franchise material like this, it drives me crazy. The budget for this was surprisingly low enough that it's possible for the film to make enough money to lead to a sequel, and the concept is solid enough that I'm not entirely against it. Just get Peter Berg or his editor away from this thing, seriously. Please. It's not like this was a masterpiece of some kind, but someone hacked the fuck out of this movie and ruined what was good about it. Again, I am not try to make this out to be anything more than it was, which was Michael Bay type fare. If you like Ronda Rousey or whatever, that's still no reason to watch this. If you love mindless action and blood, then that is the only reason you should be watching this, unless you feel the need to review the movie for an internet wrestling messageboard.

4/10

2018 Films Ranked

1. BlacKkKlansman
3. Blindspotting
4. Eighth Grade
5. Sorry to Bother You
7. The Equalizer 2
8. The Spy Who Dumped Me
9. Skyscraper
10. The Meg
12. Mile 22
13. The First Purge
14. Slender Man

Next Week's Schedule

Wednesday: Alpha
Friday: THE HAPPYTIME MURDERS, A PUPPET JIZZ MOVIE