Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy 3  (Read 523 times)

Description:

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
Guardians of the Galaxy 3
« on: July 20, 2018, 06:50:55 AM »
In news that’s been bubbling up on Twitter throughout the day and was just confirmed by trade publications including Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter, director James Gunn has been fired from Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 3 after a group of conservative Twitter personalities that includes Jack Posobiec and Mike Cernovich dug up a series of tweets, all of them originating between 2009 and 2012, in which Gunn jokes about masturbation and pedophilia and uses an anti-transgender slur.

https://news.avclub.com/james-gunn-fired-from-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-o-1827757055?

People need to clean up their fucking twitter pages, but the shit on his is bad enough that I'm glad he didn't.
koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Online Damaramu

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy 3
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 06:55:49 AM »
I'm so glad I'll never be famous and nobody will care about the shit I've done when young and dumb. Not that I ever posted racist stuff but I'm sure I know I've said something inappropriate.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

Online ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:07:52 AM »
It’s Disney. The Mouse can’t be seen even hinting that stuff like that is ok.

If we (as a society) are going to celebrate when racists and homophobes are held accountable for things they said and tweeted years ago, we have to be prepared for things to come up for people we like.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 07:11:09 AM »
the reactions in the comment section on avclub is pretty funny considering how happy the same people are usually to take down anyone else for things they've said in the past. I get that the guys who dug this stuff up are totally pieces of shit but that doesn't really matter because what they found is real and it's terrible. We have to hold everyone to the same standards of behavior.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 07:24:01 AM »
the reactions in the comment section on avclub is pretty funny considering how happy the same people are usually to take down anyone else for things they've said in the past. I get that the guys who dug this stuff up are totally pieces of shit but that doesn't really matter because what they found is real and it's terrible. We have to hold everyone to the same standards of behavior.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 07:27:06 AM »
That said, it is annoying how conservatives have a way of doing this thing where they harass progressives/liberals by insisting that they adhere to codes of conduct, which they then continue to flagrantly disregard.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »
While I sincerely doubt that he meant anything inappropriate with those messages, he should have known better to have that shit laying around in this day and age. People raid celebrities' Twitter feeds finding dirt (Gunn is far from the first) all the time and it was eventually going to catch up with him.

Offline IRS Abdominal Stretch

• brock lock
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 07:58:02 AM »
I didn't realize James Gunn is 51 and was in his 40's when he made those tweets.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 08:06:39 AM »
While I sincerely doubt that he meant anything inappropriate with those messages, he should have known better to have that shit laying around in this day and age. People raid celebrities' Twitter feeds finding dirt (Gunn is far from the first) all the time and it was eventually going to catch up with him.

He's a Troma guy, so he's got a twisted sense of humor. That said, if you're stupid enough to not clean up your Twitter, or pay someone to, then you deserve whatever consequences come from Tweeting stupid shit.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 08:26:56 AM »

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 08:30:59 AM »
That tweet lies. He apologized for something else. Then he didn't clean his twitter page and someone found more. Well, you shouldn't have more.
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 08:37:30 AM »
One more and I'm done

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 08:39:43 AM »
Goddamn I guess it's time to make a bunch of dumbass posts about shit they made forty and fifty years ago.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 08:41:02 AM »
The tweets I posted don't reflect the way I feel btw, just posting some interesting things I came across.

Offline L'AZentat

• Freie Kultur Kreuzfeuer
  • HURRAY YANKEE BLUE JEANS
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 08:49:40 AM »
There goes any hope of GotG3 being worthwhile.

Again, Gunn is a Troma guy. Troma was preaching inclusivity and moxking everything since day one. This is like when Fox News banned Dave Brockie from Red Eye for comments made about GOP politicians when he made even worse ones about Dems.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Gary

• They will make cemeteries their cathedrals and the cities will be your tombs.
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 09:36:07 AM »
What gets me isn't that he got fired for the tweets. I actually understand that. What gets me is that it's because of Jack Posabiac (sic?) and Mike Cernovic, who helped create the "Pizzagate" conspiracy. Also, Cernovic is an accused rapist who believes date rape isn't real, that it's okay to whip it out in front of women against their will and is known for getting his followers to threaten anyone with a high enough profile that dares to insult the man.

I AM THE CHEESE! I AM THE BEST CHARACTER ON THE SHOW!! I AM BETTER THAN BOTH THE SALAMI AND THE BOLOGNA COMBINED!!

someone on here just called me a "Cunk" because my wife wont let me buy a harp.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »

The 2nd GOTG (although still a very fun movie) was already showing signs of decline and needing a real change if we really need to drag that kind of concern into this. Unless they're handing the franchise to Zack Snyder I'm not too worried about a quality dip.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 10:18:15 AM »

The 2nd GOTG (although still a very fun movie) was already showing signs of decline and needing a real change if we really need to drag that kind of concern into this. Unless they're handing the franchise to Zack Snyder I'm not too worried about a quality dip.

Yeah, one thing Marvel has done very well has been getting great talent behind the camera as much as in front of it. I'm not worried about it.

Offline Juggalo Cop

• Kreese
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »
Meanwhile serial sexual harasser John Lasseter gets a dignified retirement from the company. Sad it came to this, but if it's in service of a greater good (getting everyone who has ever tweeted something offensive fired) then it's a loss we're going to have to take.

Anyway I didn't like these movies very much outside of Batista's performance (and I found the effusive praise the original got here and everywhere else on the internet to be ridiculous) so I'm not concerned about part 3. Put the Thor:Ragnarok director on it and maybe it'll actually be funny.

Online Damaramu

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 02:13:26 AM »
I thought part 2 was nowhere near the first one's league.

Big Dave Batista weighs in...

?s=19

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 03:00:28 AM »
This is really exposing the hypocrisy of some (by no means all) people on the far left to me. Some people I know who are always the first to join ever campaign to get someone fired are freaking out over this.

Disney being a company with a terrible past (and having a terrible present in many ways) doesn't really change that he needed to be fired. The fact that the people who dug this up are complete scum of the earth who are exploiting it for their own disgusting ends doesn't either.

Also the lesson to me isn't "delete your shit" because it can be dug up and it'll make you look even worse. It's to not be a fucking douche in the first place.

It's too late for most of us who lived in the era of flame wars and boardin' hard but maybe our kids will be smarter. Probably not.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 03:23:00 AM »
Disney is also a publicly traded company. If they didn't do something, the could have lost a lot of money and investors.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2018, 03:38:26 AM »
Disney is also a publicly traded company. If they didn't do something, the could have lost a lot of money and investors.

Especially with the shareholders vote on the Fox purchase (which is half stock) coming up next week. This is not the time for Disney to dig in their heels on this.  The Fox deal is a much bigger issue than what happens with the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2018, 04:52:17 AM »
Disney being a company with a terrible past (and having a terrible present in many ways) doesn't really change that he needed to be fired. The fact that the people who dug this up are complete scum of the earth who are exploiting it for their own disgusting ends doesn't either.
It doesn't, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't suck that these pizza/gamer/comics-gate, incel fuckstains get to use this as rallying point to claim righteousness, and feed into their particularly toxic brand of fuckery.

Gunn gets zero sympathy from me. He had to go, it serves him right. I just hate that it had to be these fuckers.

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2018, 04:53:39 AM »
I'm gonna stand by the same thing I have said a few times. This culture of digging up everything bad people have ever said or getting outraged about movies to the point where people demand they aren't made is going to kill certain genre aspects of the movie business.

That isn't to say he didn't deserve to be fired, because he did. We are setting standards that are too high though.

Online Damaramu

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2018, 05:15:47 AM »
Can we at least all agree? Fuck off Ted Cruz. Your opinion on this is not needed.

?s=19

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2018, 08:48:13 AM »

Also the lesson to me isn't "delete your shit" because it can be dug up and it'll make you look even worse. It's to not be a fucking douche in the first place.
See, this is a line of thinking I cannot get behind. Jokes are jokes, no matter how poor in taste, and retroactively enforcing modern social codes of propriety is fucking stupid. Somebody like George Carlin or Richard Pryor would be crucified at the altar of self-righteousness and that's not something I can get behind.

There's a difference between somebody making racist, homophobic, trqnaphobic, etc. remarks out of hate and one making supremely off-color jokes. That Gunn not only had built a career off that style of humor but also apologized for it years prior is what's making this bullshit.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »
I'm gonna stand by the same thing I have said a few times. This culture of digging up everything bad people have ever said or getting outraged about movies to the point where people demand they aren't made is going to kill certain genre aspects of the movie business.

That isn't to say he didn't deserve to be fired, because he did. We are setting standards that are too high though.

Totally agree on all of this.

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2018, 09:57:13 AM »
Where is the apology from years ago? I've seen that said a bunch but in every linked example the actual apology is for a totally different gross thing he did where he wrote some blog articles full of homophobic and sexist comments.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
My only question: if this was from 2009 to 2012, HOW THE FUCK does Disney hire him in the first place since the first movie came out in 2014 (which presumably means he was hired sometime in late '12 or in '13), AFTER he made those Tweets?  Either they didn't know and thus are careless idiots who were caught being idiots and fired him to save face, or they did know, didn't care because he made them money, and maybe used this as an easy excuse to fire him because of other reasons (he was hard to work with, spent too much money on his movies, etc.).

As usual when it comes to most things political these days, both sides look like fucking idiots to me.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 12:59:21 AM »
Disney knew exactly what the score was when they hired him. This has very little if nothing to do with the tweets and everything to do with that Pizzagate fuck and his minions mounting a campaign to pressure Disney into firing Gunn. Like Kahran mentioned with the Fox vote coming up they could not afford to let something like this cost them so they fired a guy who'd been by all accounts very upfront with them when he signed on.

Offline L'AZentat

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 01:47:23 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they re-hire him after the Fox vote. The negative blowback has already been swift, including members of the cast (Batista immediately stands out), and I've already been seeing folks whose gut reaction was "he deserved to be fired" switch to "this is bullshit" after learning about the Pizzagate shithead.

Offline Lord of The Curry

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 02:10:52 AM »
Batista has been the most emphatic with his statements but Pratt, Gillian and Saldana have all echoed that they love and support the entire cast of GOTG so clearly they're throwing in subtle support for Gunn.

Offline CletusVanDamme

• BlackFlagg
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 09:56:25 AM »

Online Saddam of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 11:42:42 AM »

• Minister Of War
  • Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 06:10:05 AM »
https://news.avclub.com/its-rumor-time-james-gunn-might-get-rehired-for-guardi-1828257464

there's a lot of use of "unlikely" still but at least there's some hope.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 08:00:43 AM »
I'd tell Disney to double my fee with a formal apology or go piss up a rope.