Author Topic: Basketball Hall of Fame 2018 Finalists  (Read 619 times)

Description:

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
Basketball Hall of Fame 2018 Finalists
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »
Players:
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Ray Allen
Grant Hill
Maurice Cheeks
Chris Webber
Tina Thompson
Katie Smith

Coaches:
Rudy Tomjanovich
Charles "Lefty" Driesell
Kim Mulkey

Also ex-referee Hugh Evans and Wayland Baptist University, who won 10 AAU National titles.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
Re: Basketball Hall of Fame 2018 Finalists
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:08:48 PM »
So Kidd, Nash, and probably Allen are all locks.  I feel like Tina Thompson probably gets in on the first go-around, as well.  Not sure if there is a limitation on inductees off the top of my head, but Hill should probably get in as well.  And for sentimental reasons I'd like to see Rudy go in because I was a fan of those Rockets teams, even though I did root for the Suns against them.  Also, interesting that Tim Hardaway fell off the list while Mo Cheeks returned after falling off previously.

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:13:32 PM »
Yes to Kidd, Nash, Allen, and Hill.  Cheeks should get in eventually.  I like Webber but not sure if he is HOF worthy.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:39:38 PM »
Yes to Kidd, Nash, Allen, and Hill.  Cheeks should get in eventually.  I like Webber but not sure if he is HOF worthy.

Webber has a better HOF résumé than a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame right now. I would argue that he's got a more impressive résumé than McGrady. But, like I said last year, I don't see him getting in until and unless he makes good with Michigan and makes peace with the rest of the Fab Five.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 04:20:45 AM »
How many finalists are typically elected in this process? Just about everyone in this group is qualified.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 04:42:33 AM »
How many finalists are typically elected in this process? Just about everyone in this group is qualified.

alkeiper posting in a basketball thread? You get lost, bruh?  ;)

To answer you question, though, it depends: for most of the last decade, they have inducted between 10-12 finalists, but there hasn't necessarily been an equal proportion of players, contributors, coaches, teams and referees. And, while there have been multiple years where only players were inducted, there have only been two years in which no players were inducted, the most recent of which was 1968.

The last time that there were fewer than ten inductees was 2009: that was the year that John Stockton, Jerry Sloan, C. Vivian Stringer, David Robinson, and some guy by the name of Michael Jordan were enshrined. That was also the last year that there wasn't at least one contributor ensrhined.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »
Inductees:

Men's Players:
Ray Allen
Maurice Cheeks
Grant Hill
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Charlie Scott

Scott played at North Carolina, leading them to two straight Final Fours, and played 10 years in the ABA and NBA, winning a championship with the '76 Celtics.  He was also a member of the 1968 Olympic team.

Women's players:
Tina Thompson
Katie Smith
Ora Mae Washington

Washington was one of the first notable black female athletes and was a standout pro tennis player in addition to basketball.  Read up on her, because I'm not sure I can do her justice with my words.

Executives:
Rod Thorn
Rick Welts

Welts is the current President and Chief of Operations for the Warriors, jobs he previously held for the Suns.  He also worked for the league office from 1982-99 and is credited with coming up with the concept of All-Star Weekend, was in charge of the marketing campaign for the Dream Team, and also had a hand in launching the WNBA.  Oh, and he was the first openly gay executive in American sports.

Coach Lefty Driesell was also inducted, as was DINO RADJA~ by the International committee.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
Suns were bragging they are the first franchise to have four guys in one class on their half-time show tonight (Kidd, Nash, Hill and Scott).  The only one really getting in their for their time in Phoenix is Nash but whatever.

Was glad Ray Allen made it because when most broke and Mo Cheeks was in and they still weren't sure on Ray, I thought that was wrong.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
Nah, I like to think JKidd got at least a couple votes for his hair in PHX

Offline Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »
Rudy T was robbed

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 08:28:53 PM »
Rudy T was robbed

Agreed

I love that the Kidd and Grant Hill are going in together.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 06:28:37 AM »
I love that the Kidd and Grant Hill are going in together.

Totally did not connect the dots on the Co-Rookie of the Year thing until you pointed it out.  Good stuff.

And I guess this is where I bellow and wait for the support of Slim in saying how is Mo Cheeks getting in and Chris Webber still being snubbed.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 01:00:23 PM »
EDIT - I already said what I had to say about this.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 06:47:17 AM »
Coach Lefty Driesell was also inducted, as was DINO RADJA~ by the International committee.

With LARRY BIRD presenting.  CELTIC PRIDE

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »
Looking ahead to next year real quick, the only newly eligible NBA player who would be taken seriously as a candidate is Shawn Marion, and although I like Marion I don't see him getting a lot of support.  So maybe next year is the year that guys like Webber and Tim Hardaway make it in.

Also, it's worth noting that Antawn Jamison was eligible this year and wasn't even named a finalist.  Aside from him, Tom Chambers is the only 20,000 point scorer eligible and not in the Hall.