Author Topic: NFL Pre-Season Thread  (Read 3036 times)

Description:

Offline Kahran Ramsus

Re: NFL Pre-Season Thread
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
That account is great.

Offline THE TUGSTER

• Alfdogg
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2018, 02:01:24 PM »
In a search, I actually found an ESPN article about that Twitter account.  In it they say, the real Andrew Luck, as of December 2016, was still using a flip-phone.
@alfdogg765 on Twitter FOLLOW ME

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2018, 02:16:32 AM »
Nuts. Still, great account.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2018, 10:30:08 PM »
The Seattle Times' Bob Condotta reports Rashaad Penny suffered a hand injury, including a broken finger, in Monday's practice.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »
Nick Foles injured his shoulder on a fumble six against the Pats.  This could be an issue with Wentz hinting he's not going to be ready to start the season.

Offline Aero

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
Good thing they picked up Hack.

Offline New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2018, 12:15:57 PM »
They shouldn't have flown that banner over Gillette before the game.  The Hoodie has powers, man.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2018, 12:24:41 AM »
Patriots also quietly suffered potential OL depth blow with an injury to Isaiah Wynn who was expected to be a key backup (if not earn a potential starting role early in the offseason).

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2018, 03:09:32 AM »
Patriots also quietly suffered potential OL depth blow with an injury to Isaiah Wynn who was expected to be a key backup (if not earn a potential starting role early in the offseason).

Torn Achilles, so he's done.

Also done, for the pre-season anyways, is Aaron Rodgers who played one drive last night.  He says he's done all he wanted to do and so he's sitting out the final two games.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »
I thought the 4th stringer on Hard Knocks was just an idiot but apparently Tyrod is too nice to correct people:

https://deadspin.com/tyrod-taylor-has-been-letting-people-mispronounce-his-n-1828421422

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2018, 01:32:18 PM »
AJ McCarron broke his collarbone.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2018, 12:58:24 AM »
- Browns CB E.J. Gaines will miss about three weeks with a sprained right knee. This puts Week 1 in jeopardy and could make the Browns a potential target for the Steelers passing game even more.
- 49ers RB Joe Williams is out until at least Week 1 with a fractured rib. He could potentially be cut as he's fallen behind Jeremy McNichols and Raheem Mostert on the RB Depth Chart.
- Chargers placed CB Jaylen Watkins on injured reserve with a torn ACL. WTF is going on with the Chargers? Their secondary is getting decimated.
- Bengals released S George Iloka. He's been a mainstay on that Bengals defense for a long time.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2018, 01:22:42 AM »
Would be stunned if Iloka didn’t end up getting the tires kicked by Oakland.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2018, 11:08:34 AM »
ESPN just did an article where Richard Sherman says (via Twitter) that a tackle like this:

would be banned. There's just one problem with using this video for his point. The man making the tackle keeps his head to the side of the player, not hitting the guy with his head. Also, this man doesn't have a damned helmet on. Like I know people love to compare rugby to football, but this is a dumb case to use.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2018, 12:42:09 PM »

And apparently he didn't.  I don't know what kind of quack can't tell whether a bone is broken or not.  Did he go to Dr. Nick Riviera?

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2018, 01:13:06 PM »

And apparently he didn't.  I don't know what kind of quack can't tell whether a bone is broken or not.  Did he go to Dr. Nick Riviera?

Nick: Hi, everybody! *looks at AJ* Wow! This is the weirdest looking buffalo I've ever seen in all my years of doctoring! What happened to your neck fur?

Coach: Ryan Fitzpatrick plays for Tampa Bay now.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 6 IS UNDERWAY!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2018, 01:08:12 AM »
Broken or not, if it gives Allen a better chance to win the job then so be it.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2018, 01:42:14 AM »
ESPN just did an article where Richard Sherman says (via Twitter) that a tackle like this:

would be banned. There's just one problem with using this video for his point. The man making the tackle keeps his head to the side of the player, not hitting the guy with his head. Also, this man doesn't have a damned helmet on. Like I know people love to compare rugby to football, but this is a dumb case to use.

Sherman's right though because the Rugby player initiates contact with his (helmet) e.g. he basically leads with the crown of his head into the tackle. A lot of the rule is less about the actual helmet to helmet contact and thus far seems to be more geared towards players lowering themselves head first/leading with their heads & arms at their side when tackling. Doesn't matter if the guy ends up pulling his head to the side at the very last moment if he's leading initially with the head.

Easiest way to think of this is the equivalent of a dude trying to deliver a headbutt/spear with the top of the head.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2018, 02:18:38 AM »
Oh fuck me, it is just having his head go towards the player? That isn't how I interperted the rule. Well, fuck. Then yeah, everyone's likely going to get called because even if you go with a side tackle, you could easily end up leading with your head by accident. My apologizes for being wrong, if this is the case.

Yeah, so ... Well, this is going to be fun seeing how many people get fined. Obviously the video the NFL provided the players means that one of the videos was like this. No wonder they were confused on what was a tackle.

...seriously, first what is a catch, now what is a tackle. The NFL is really fucking things up rules wise.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2018, 02:47:36 AM »
Oh fuck me, it is just having his head go towards the player? That isn't how I interperted the rule. Well, fuck. Then yeah, everyone's likely going to get called because even if you go with a side tackle, you could easily end up leading with your head by accident. My apologizes for being wrong, if this is the case.

Yeah, so ... Well, this is going to be fun seeing how many people get fined. Obviously the video the NFL provided the players means that one of the videos was like this. No wonder they were confused on what was a tackle.

...seriously, first what is a catch, now what is a tackle. The NFL is really fucking things up rules wise.

Yeah, it's all not helped by the media interpreting much like you did as, "Oh. This is just a continuation of helmet to helmet contact," rather than also including the aspect of a Defender/Offensive Player Leading With the Helmet.

The 2nd clip on the kickoff is a picture perfect example of why they've been calling this the way they have, to try and get players to avoid putting themselves in those types of situations where they risk spinal injuries to themselves as much as their opponents.

Also at around the 3:00 mark is a call on the RB(!) so it'll be interesting to see how they effects players offensively too.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2018, 04:18:11 AM »

Yeah, I hate it.  I don't care about the anthem crap, but going too far down this road where it simply isn't football anymore and the game is constantly being held up for the officials is the type of thing that will have me start watching rugby instead.

Offline Medium, A Happy

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2018, 09:27:25 AM »
And to the surprise of roughly no one, Roquan Smith is being held out of the next Bears preseason game due to a tight hamstring. 
I'm not coming back.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2018, 09:34:12 AM »
And to the surprise of roughly no one, Roquan Smith is being held out of the next Bears preseason game due to a tight hamstring. 

On one hand, I get rookies holding out to some extent but on the other hand, how often does it really help them? Between conditioning/training, learning the playbook, getting on field reps, etc. I just don't see the upside.

I understood his issues about the helmet rule stuff but it didn't stop other defensive rookies from signing so...

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2018, 12:52:48 AM »
- NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Bucs LT Donovan Smith has been diagnosed with a knee sprain and will be sideline 2-4 weeks. Smith's been a starter for the past 3 years and should be back by Week 2 or 3.
- Seahawks continue to get thin at RB as J.D. McKissic is out 4-6 weeks with a foot fracture.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2018, 06:34:06 AM »
- Vikings signed S George Iloka, formerly of the Bengals, to a one-year contract.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »
I'm convinced Dez Bryant went to Cleveland in order to get on Hard Knocks for national attention while making a leaguewide sales pitch. Fuckin' brilliant, that.

(hashtag Dez to Green Bay)

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2018, 12:50:59 AM »
Raiders signed CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

"Several sources" told ESPN's Todd Archer that Cowboys C Travis Frederick's battle with Guillan-Barre Syndrome could cost him "multiple weeks of the season." Pretty big blow to the Cowboys OL as Zack Martin's also dealing with an injury and they have a rookie who's been starting at LG. Cowboys don't have the easiest opening schedule either as they face Carolina, Giants, Seattle on the road, Detroit, Houston on the road, and Jacksonville.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »
The Browns have like, four takeaways in the first half. It's preseason yes, but they're flying around out there like it counts. The Eagles are likely taking it easy.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2018, 12:38:08 PM »
It's only preseason, but the Browns defense sure came to play against the Eagles.

Of course, since it's the Browns, they only lead 5-0 after forcing four turnovers.

Offline Kotzenjunge

• looptid
  • Kotzenjunge
    • A site I wrote.
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2018, 12:45:50 PM »
The Browns offense can't get out of its own way. It's a great night for both sides if you like defense.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »
The Browns have the talent to make a Jags-like turnaround, so if they still suck it is on Hue.  The last couple of years were needed write-offs, but no excuses this year.  It isn't like they are in a tough division.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2018, 10:38:13 PM »
I like that Hue sees Tyrod Taylor, his starting QB, land weird on his hand and leave. So what does he do? He sends Tyrod back out there and he promptly gets sandwiched in a sack.

That was one of those instances where I was like, "It's pre-season! Why are you risking your starting QB's health, especially after he already got injured?!?"

Offline Damaramu

« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2018, 10:38:57 PM »
I just can't picture them getting it done with Hue as the head coach.
I watched RAW. I thought it sucked. The usual problems and such.

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2018, 11:08:42 AM »
Nice to see the Chargers are in mid-season form already when it comes to people showing up for games.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2018, 06:21:50 AM »
Eric Decker announced his retirement from the NFL.

This now gives the Patriots a likely 53-Man Roster WR group of: Julian Edelman *SUSP*, Chris Hogan, Phillip Dorsett, Cordarrelle Patterson, Matthew Slater *ST*, Riley McCarron (Possible Return Man), and one of Braxton Berrios/Devin Lucien/Paul Turner fighting for a roster spot if the Patriots don't sign a WR who gets cut.

This could be shaping up so New England relies more on a RBBC and TEBC by carrying 5 RBs, 5-6 WRs, and 3-4 TEs.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2018, 09:14:52 AM »
Josh Allen was awful in the dress rehearsal and left the game with a likely concussion after getting the shit kicked out of him behind that horrible Bills O-Line.

Online strummer

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »
Reports that Sam Darnold will be named the Jets starting qb

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »
Yeah Peterman is going to be the starter now. Horrific o-line play today.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
Wait seriously. Peterman is going to be the starter? That's ... Wow. Maybe it is a good thing Taylor got traded. Geezus.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2018, 11:49:13 AM »
Wait seriously. Peterman is going to be the starter? That's ... Wow. Maybe it is a good thing Taylor got traded. Geezus.

Good for Taylor maybe.  Not so good for the Bills.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2018, 12:29:19 AM »
It doesn't matter who starts for the Bills.   With that offensive line they're going to be somewhere in the 4-6 win range.   2018 is going to be the rebuilding year that 2017 was supposed to be.

Offline Zetterberg is Go

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2018, 12:43:09 AM »
Peterman has had by far the best pre-season of the three though so he has to. 23 of 26, three TD's and only one pick (albeit against two's and three's). As noted he's going to get crushed but he's earned the job.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2018, 05:27:12 AM »
NY Giants signed WR Odell Beckham to a five-year, $95 million extension through 2023. The deal includes $65 million guaranteed

Pittsburgh Steelers acquired WR Ryan Switzer from the Oakland Raiders. Likely for a conditional 7th Round Pick

New England Patriots signed RG Shaq Mason to a five-year, $50 million extension through 2023. NFL Network's Herbie Teope reports the deal includes $23.5 million guaranteed

Detroit Lions signed DE Robert Ayers to a one-year contract.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2018, 06:07:06 AM »
You know it would be great if Peterman kept the starting job, making the QB pick look bad.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2018, 04:43:06 PM »
I thought the 4th stringer on Hard Knocks was just an idiot but apparently Tyrod is too nice to correct people:

https://deadspin.com/tyrod-taylor-has-been-letting-people-mispronounce-his-n-1828421422
Interesting enough:

One of my friends went to school with Tramon Williams and Brandon Jacobs. Anytime we talk football she refers to Tramon as "Tray-mun" and not "Truh-mon" like the commentators do. Apparently he never bothered to correct anyone either and is just happy to be noticed.

NY Giants signed WR Odell Beckham to a five-year, $95 million extension through 2023. The deal includes $65 million guaranteed

And I swear I'm not trying to be all "hey I know people that knew football players..." but uhh..

Might have shared this one: My sister had Freshman or Sophomore English with OBJ at LSU (she transferred her Jr. year) and said he was pretty dumb. And that the only dumber athlete in her classes was the younger brother of Phillip Rivers who transferred. I said, "yeah well I watch football and Odell can be a fuck off all he wants. He's going to be huge in the pros." I told her to be nice to him. Now what?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2018, 12:22:42 AM »
Saturday is the cut down day for 53 Man Rosters. Will be interesting to see who sticks and who gets cut.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2018, 01:38:19 AM »

Good for him for getting paid. I would have liked to see what he looks like in game before agreeing to a new contract, but word is that he has looked fantastic during practice. I wonder if this is going to change things, the way players ask for money. He didn't hold out, he came to camp early, showed that he's there for the team, and got paid. He didn't demand anything (outside of making it known that he wanted to be the highest paid player). He didn't threaten to sit out. Meanwhile other players who do sit out or threaten to, have a harder time getting their money.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2018, 02:18:41 AM »

Good for him for getting paid. I would have liked to see what he looks like in game before agreeing to a new contract, but word is that he has looked fantastic during practice. I wonder if this is going to change things, the way players ask for money. He didn't hold out, he came to camp early, showed that he's there for the team, and got paid. He didn't demand anything (outside of making it known that he wanted to be the highest paid player). He didn't threaten to sit out. Meanwhile other players who do sit out or threaten to, have a harder time getting their money.

It won't change anything, to be honest. That's the way things have been for decades back to the 1980s at least. Some players don't hold out and get deals done while others hold out and mostly get signed anyway.

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2018, 02:26:07 AM »
It’s always going to be about leverage, timing, patience and the quality of your agent working the negotiations.