Author Topic: This Rest of the Regular Season in Baseball  (Read 2785 times)

Description: August-September-October stretch run

Online strummer

Re: This Rest of the Regular Season in Baseball
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2018, 07:00:27 AM »
My guess is Murphy will probably re-sign with the Nats in the off season

Offline Medium, A Happy

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
I also really, really don't want Daniel Murphy playing in my town...and I think we already have an intense, religious guy in his mid 30s that Joe Maddon crushes on.  Hopefully, Murphy and Zobrist have a strange rivalry and beef over the last couple of months.
I'm not coming back.

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »
In other Cubs news: Yu Darvish officially done for the year. "Stress reaction on his elbow". That signing is working out well.

While across town for the Sox, it's Michael Kopech debut day.

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »
Trading for Cole Hamels has pretty much saved the Cubs season from a pitching perspective. I didn't think Darvish was this mentally fragile. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires before next season starts.

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »
Harper was claimed by the Dodgers. The August waiver process doesn’t oblige the original team to lose the player. It just meant the Nats could either let Harper go to the Dodgers, trade him ONLY to the Dodgers, or keep him. From the Dodgers POV, it keeps Harper from going to a rival as much as anything else.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2018, 06:35:22 AM »
Lowest ERA by qualified Phillies pitchers in the live ball era (Post 1920):

1. Steve Carlton, 1.97, 1972
2. Aaron Nola, 2.13, 2018
3. Chris Short, 2.20, 1964
4. Jim Bunning, 2.27, 1967
5. Steve Carlton, 2.34, 1980

I think deGrom is the front-runner for Cy Young. But Nola is in the discussion and he's having an elite season in Phillies franchise history.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2018, 11:54:02 AM »
Mookie is graciously helping JD Martinez to the Triple Crown by completely sucking at the plate over the past few weeks.  This is probably the closest thing this team has had to a slump this year and that bullpen is not giving me confidence at all, though hopefully it is bolstered by the starters that don't make the playoff rotation.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2018, 02:27:49 PM »
The Rays have built a pretty good team that they will probably have to dismantle over the next 4 years.  They cleaned up at the deadline and it is showing dividends already.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox are officially in a slump and everything that might sink them in October is being laid bare.  That bullpen terrifies me.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2018, 05:51:28 AM »
Phillies have a waiver claim on Jose Bautista. They and the Mets have until tomorrow to work out a deal.

EDIT: Bautista acquired. So by next week they will have Bautista and Justin Bour as righty and lefty pinch hitting options, and finally have roster room to start utilizing defensive replacements.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »
Can't even hold a lead against the Marlins.  This bullpen will be what knocks Boston out in October.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2018, 05:38:56 AM »
Hawk Harrelson getting a day and a ceremony is another example of it not mattering if you are completely horrible at your job; as long as you do it for a REALLY long time you'll get respect for it.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2018, 10:46:51 AM »
MATT KEMP IS GOD

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2018, 03:41:22 AM »
Ryan Howard officially retired. I was tempted to write a Keltner list as a joke, but I'll probably do one seriously. According to Baseball-Reference Howard has the lowest WAR of anyone with 300+ home runs.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2018, 04:09:18 AM »
Fun Fact: Khris Davis has managed his 3rd straight season of 80 R (pending 1 Run), 40 HR, and 100 RBI while likely batting under .250 for the year.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2018, 04:57:00 AM »
It really is something how fucking bad Drew Pomeranz is this year.  From 17 wins last year to being on the bubble for a playoff roster spot is some fall from grace.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2018, 06:15:05 AM »
1.Was he ever regarded as the best player in baseball? Did anybody, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in baseball?

That is difficult to answer. The Phillies broadcasters of course gushed about Howard and presented his accomplishments in the most glowing terms possible. Did the rest of baseball see it that way? What was the national consensus during the 2008 World Series?

2.Was he the best player on his team?

Yes and no. At his peak, he was considered by many the best player on the Phillies. I remember a conversation with a friend ten years ago about Hall of Fame possibilities. I told him Chase Utley had a better shot than Howard, and he was surprised. Utley was always the best player on the team but it took a long time for fans to realize that.

3.Was he the best player in baseball at his position? Was he the best player in the league at his position?

No, he played in a league with Albert Pujols. I think it is fair to consider Howard the second best first baseman in the National League at his peak.

4.Did he have an impact on a number of pennant races?

Yes. He played for five division winners and was rookie of the year for a team that missed the wild card by one win.

5.Was he a good enough player that he could continue to play regularly after passing his prime?

No. He did anyway.

6.Is he the very best player in baseball history who is not in the Hall of Fame?

No. Even among the non-steroid users and modern players I don't think you could rate him above someone like Dick Allen.

7.Are most players who have comparable career statistics in the Hall of Fame?

No. Not one of his ten most similar players are in the Hall. That includes both Fielders, Mo Vaughn and Frank Howard.

8.Do the player's numbers meet Hall of Fame standards?

No. Howard ended his career with 382 home runs. A nice total, but comparable to players like Matt Williams, Rocky Colavito, Norm Cash, Frank Howard. Well remembered and liked players who don't have serious Hall of Fame candidacies.

9.Is there any evidence to suggest that the player was significantly better or worse than is suggested by his statistics?

Howard ended his career with 15 WAR. That would make him the worst player ever elected to the Hall of Fame. It is such an abysmal total for a candidate that it is worth asking if WAR is missing something. First off, Howard peaked with 19.5 WAR before 2012 when his production cratered. Beyond that, I have a nagging suspicion that WAR underrates first basemen a bit. Howard loses 83 runs just by playing first base. It's a seven game swing in his WAR. Fielding, if you think WAR doesn't measure that accurately, Howard lost another 70 runs there. I look at a season like 2008. Howard had 1.8 WAR, substandard for a starting player. I find it hard to believe. Prince Fielder suffers the same penalties. WAR rates this style of player poorly and I think it is worth looking at a player from multiple angles in these cases.

As far as intangibles, Howard had a reputation as a team leader and a clutch hitter. I watched the 2009-11 postseasons so I think the clutch argument is bunk.

10.Is he the best player at his position who is eligible for the Hall of Fame but not in?

The very best 1B not in the Hall is a minefield because it's littered with players like McGwire and Palmeiro. Beyond that group, could you possibly argue Howard against Keith Hernandez or Don Mattingly?

11.How many MVP-type seasons did he have? Did he ever win an MVP award? If not, how many times was he close?

Yes, Howard won the MVP in 2006, finished top 5 from 2007-09 and 10th in 2010 and '11. Howard routinely finished high thanks to his home run and RBI totals.

12.How many All-Star-type seasons did he have? How many All-Star games did he play in? Did most of the other players who played in this many go to the Hall of Fame?

Three All Star games. WAR gives him one season of 5+. Three times an All Star is not a Hall of Fame resume.

13.If this man were the best player on his team, would it be likely that the team could win the pennant?

As a hitter, yes. As an overall player, no.

14.What impact did the player have on baseball history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way?

A Philly article I consulted for this list claims if not for the shift he would've kept hitting .280. He was part of a hitting style that did lead to extreme shifting, but that would have happened without him.

15.Did the player uphold the standards of sportsmanship and character that the Hall of Fame, in its written guidelines, instructs us to consider

An Al-Jazeera report quoted a source that claimed Howard used PEDs. Major League Baseball cleared Howard and no further evidence has surfaced. I would consider Howard a high character player.

Howard grades out historic when you present home run and RBI statistics in the context of "player's first XX games." He grades poorly when you use Wins Above Replacement. He's not a Hall of Fame caliber player but god damn could he hit a baseball far.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2018, 06:43:53 AM »
It's weird that Ryan Howard always reminded me of a higher HR hitting Richie Sexson. Both had similar OPS+ and WAR for their careers but known for their power and strikeout rate (at least Sexson seemed to be more-so than Howard). Both fell off after age 31 but Sexson hung up his cleats quicker while Howard tacked on 96 more HR.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2018, 12:37:10 PM »
Fun Fact: Khris Davis has managed his 3rd straight season of 80 R (pending 1 Run), 40 HR, and 100 RBI while likely batting under .250 for the year.

Funny enough I just got an autographed Khris Davis baseball from a mystery ball box. The cards that come with these things usually list stats of note but all this one said was he was drafted by the Natinals but went to college instead.

I also saw something on Twitter that hes the only player that short to either hit 40 homeruns three seasons in a row.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2018, 01:01:01 AM »
It's weird that Ryan Howard always reminded me of a higher HR hitting Richie Sexson. Both had similar OPS+ and WAR for their careers but known for their power and strikeout rate (at least Sexson seemed to be more-so than Howard). Both fell off after age 31 but Sexson hung up his cleats quicker while Howard tacked on 96 more HR.
It's funny. Ryan Howard struck out 151 times in 553 plate appearances in the Florida State League. At the time that was seen as a serious deficiency that would normally disqualify a prospect. In 2007, Ryan Howard set the single season record with 199 strikeouts. Mark Reynolds obliterated the record within two years. Ryan Howard struck out a lot more than Sexson, but Howard's strikeout totals have become commonplace.

Offline Krankor

• Krankor
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »
Torn UCL for top pitching prospect of the White Sox and flame thrower Michael Kopech. Tommy John time. Means another utterly bleak year in 2019 for the Sox. All they have to look forward to will be OF Eloy Jimenez next year. It was like Christmas day on the south side of Chicago when Kopech debuted a month ago. Poor sad bastard Sox fans.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2018, 12:39:52 PM »
No bump for Josh Donaldson to Cleveland?

And I am curious if there is a bigger stink from all the contenders being pissed with how this went down
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »
Red Sox are the first to clinch a playoff spot with their 100th win.  David Price has been dealing since the break and seems poised to shove that "can't pitch in October" thing up my ass.  They're slowly bringing Sale back too which should prevent him burning out like last year.  The offense still seems to be kind of in a funk (especially when it comes to homers) and that bullpen still gives me nightmares, but they've got three more weeks to sort that out.

Also, the A's are just one game behind the Yankees for HFA in the Bullshit Wild Card Game

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2018, 05:24:47 AM »
David Wright is going to be activated from the DL for September 29. He will start the game, and then plans to retire. The Mets are out of it, and I'm with that.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
I want to do a Bored Memorial Playoff Race Update but haven't had the time.  Regardless, the only division races that are truly just about settled are the AL East (though there are still six H2H Sox/Yanks games) and the AL Central.  The NL East is getting there if Philly keeps losing.  The Bullshit AL Wild Card game is probably set, but where it will be played is up for grabs and the A's do have a shot at passing Houston for the West. 

In the NL, both the Central and West are up for grabs and the Bullshit NL Wild Card game is a clusterfuck right now.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »
I can't relax until we clinch because I fearing we 2011 this, but I cant believe we're in the position that we are. I kept seeing after the all star break how much tougher our remaining schedule was than the Phillies, so I'm shocked Philly has lost so much.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2018, 11:48:57 PM »
Baltimore is 3 losses away from tying for 3rd in Franchise History with the 1910 & 1911 St. Louis Browns & 1988 Baltimore Orioles. 4 losses gets them tied with the 1937 St. Louis Browns and 7 losses can tie them with the 1939 St. Louis Browns.

This year is the 2nd year they've lost more than 100 games since 1953 & 1954 where they were in the midst of a run from 1949-1955 of: 101, 96, 102, 90, 100, 100, and 97 losses.

Baltimore quietly had a stretch from 1998-2011 where they did not have a winning record.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2018, 12:08:50 AM »
I can't relax until we clinch because I fearing we 2011 this, but I cant believe we're in the position that we are. I kept seeing after the all star break how much tougher our remaining schedule was than the Phillies, so I'm shocked Philly has lost so much.
The Phillies are D.O.A. The only way the Braves can realistically blow this is get swept in both series against the Phils later this month. But this Phillies team hasn't shown any signs of life in the last month.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »
Numbers.....They're MAAAAGIICCCCCCC

AL

Boston: clinched playoff spot, 4 to clinch AL East, 6 to clinch HFA in AL playoffs
Cleveland: clinched AL Central and #3 seed; will play AL West winner in LDS
Houston: 13 to clinch AL West; 96% to win division, 4% to win Wild Card
Yankees: 6 to clinch playoff spot
Athletics: 7 to clinch playoff spot

NL

Cubs: 8 to clinch playoff spot
Braves: 9 to clinch NL East

NL Wild Card: Clusterfuck

• Admin
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2018, 04:24:58 PM »
CHRIS FUCKIN TAYLOR I TAKE BACK ALL THE BAD THINGS I SAID

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »
The Red Sox will win 108 games and may just win one in October.  This pitching staff is just complete dogshit right now.  Sale may have to carry this team.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
Finally clinched the division.  Now fix the fucking bullpen (Wright keeping it up is a start) and give guys rest.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2018, 11:43:12 PM »
Someday I'll figure out how analytics dictates in a one run game with your season on the line, you turn to the guy with the 18th best ERA on your pitching staff.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2018, 04:14:11 AM »
The worst part of playing the Phillies isn't the stress of needing the win, it's listening to our announcers passive aggressively bash analytics.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2018, 05:27:54 AM »
Going into the penultimate weekend of the season, it's time for....

Numbers.....They're MAAAAAAAAGIIIIIICCCCCC

AL

Boston: Clinched AL East, 2 to clinch HFA through playoffs; will play winner of Bullshit Wild Card in LDS
Cleveland: Clinched AL Central and #3 seed; will play AL West winner in LDS
Houston: 1 to clinch playoff spot, 7 to clinch AL West
Yankees: 3 to clinch Bullshit WC spot
Athletics: 4 to clinch playoff spot

NL

Cubs: 4 to clinch playoff spot, 8 to clinch NL Central
Braves: 4 to clinch NL East
Brewers: 5 to clinch playoff spot

NL Wild Card: Still a clusterfuck

• Admin
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2018, 05:29:11 AM »
The Dodgers just have to not choke against the Padres this weekend. Badly need 2 of 3. Don't choke and they'll be in.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2018, 06:55:12 AM »
Braves win the NL East. I know we're going out fast in October, but I still cant believe this. Pre-season I thought if we went .500 it'd be a really good season. This is amazing. Go Braves.

Online strummer

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2018, 07:06:15 AM »
Braves are stacked.  The rest of the NL east is fucked for years to come. Still don't think Phils and Nats will be near them anytime soon

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
Yankees are officially in and Houston will keep best record dreams alive because Drew Pomeranz fucking sucks.

Indians also have four starters with 200 Ks in one season for the first time in history.  That's kinda nuts.

Online Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2018, 05:24:36 PM »
I can't wait for the A's to lose to Yankees in the Wild Card game.  ::)
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2018, 01:24:47 AM »
Braves are stacked.  The rest of the NL east is fucked for years to come. Still don't think Phils and Nats will be near them anytime soon
In 2011 the Braves missed the wild card by one game. They came into the season ranked #3 in Baseball America's organization rankings. By 2013 they won 96 games and had Freddie Freeman (23), Justin Upton (25), Jason Heyward (23) and Andrelton Simmons (23) in their lineup. The pitching staff had Julio Teheran, Mike Minor, Kris Medlen, Brandon Beachy, Alex Wood. Craig Kimbrel was their closer. I would bet the Braves going forward, certainly. But baseball is a funny game and a lot can go wrong.

The Phillies meanwhile are officially finished. 6-15 thus far in September. By winning percentage it's their worst September since 1942.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2018, 01:25:13 PM »
Boston officially has nothing else to play for in the regular season.  Clinched HFA and the franchise record in wins with 106.  Tomorrow's game will probably be rained out (and not made up) so they'll have to win out to hit 110.

The Orioles are now 60.5 GB.  Damn.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »
All that's left in the AL is determining who hosts the Bullshit Wild Card Game.  There's also a shot at three teams with 100 wins which has to be a rarity (Elias will be on the case no doubt.)

The NL Wild Card is much less of a clusterfuck as the Brewers are all but in and it's down to the Cardinals and whoever finishes 2nd in the West.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2018, 11:59:05 PM »
All that's left in the AL is determining who hosts the Bullshit Wild Card Game.  There's also a shot at three teams with 100 wins which has to be a rarity (Elias will be on the case no doubt.)

The NL Wild Card is much less of a clusterfuck as the Brewers are all but in and it's down to the Cardinals and whoever finishes 2nd in the West.
Three teams with 100 wins has never occurred in a single league. In the entirety of the majors it's happened a few times, as recently as last year.

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2018, 07:54:04 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant (in one league).  The AL Central has three teams either over 100 losses or within 10 of 100.  THAT has to be one of the worst divisions in recent memory since they switched to the three division format. 

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2018, 08:47:46 AM »
Boston officially has nothing else to play for in the regular season.  Clinched HFA and the franchise record in wins with 106.  Tomorrow's game will probably be rained out (and not made up) so they'll have to win out to hit 110.

Is this the biggest margin between first and last place?
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2018, 10:26:36 AM »

Is this the biggest margin between first and last place?

Ever?

The largest margin was the 1899 Cleveland Spiders finishing 84.5 games out. The 1906 Beaneaters (Braves) finished 66.5 games out. The last team to finish 60 games out that I could find was the ‘62 Mets. That’s certainly a dubious distinction.

Online strummer

« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2018, 12:49:49 PM »
Jacob deGrom finishes the year with a 1.70 ERA.  Unreal season.  Pleasure to watch him pitch

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »
deGrom is my choice for both MVP and Cy Young. Just an amazing season.

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2018, 02:16:24 PM »
I wish the Indians and Braves were still called the Spiders and the Beaneaters (I know they probably aren't the same teams anymore technically, but fuck it). I'd buy the shit out of a Beaneaters jersey.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 6 IS UNDERWAY!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2018, 02:49:54 AM »
deGrom is my choice for both MVP and Cy Young. Just an amazing season.

Just for context... Pedro's 1997 and 2003 were 219 ERA+ and 211 ERA+ with a 9.0 WAR and 8.0 WAR (17-8 with a 1.90 ERA and 14-4 with a 2.22 ERA). Pedro won the Cy Young in 1997 and finished 3rd in 2003.

deGrom put up a 219 ERA+ with a 9.8 WAR while going just 10-9 with a 1.70 ERA.