Author Topic: Steve Perry releasing first album in 24 years  (Read 318 times)

Description:

Offline Boomer Kamala

• CXF Writer
Steve Perry releasing first album in 24 years
« on: August 14, 2018, 04:12:39 PM »
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steve-perry-no-erasin/

Steve Perry is releasing his first album since 1994. Traces drops on October 5th.

I'm a fuckin believer! Look at the majestic album art. Consider me (cautiously) optimistic!

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
Re: Steve Perry releasing first album in 24 years
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:02:57 PM »
I actually own Street Talk on cassette (when I was 17 I was working at the local library and someone donated a bunch of old tapes for the fundraising sale. Nobody bought it so I took it) and For the Love of Strange Medicine on CD (I think it was $2 or $3). Neither of them are very good so I don't expect this to be either, but it's nice that Steve is putting himself out there again. 

This is from four years ago. He still sounds like himself, but his voice is very weathered and rough. That may work for this new material since I expect many of the songs will be about his girlfriend who died of cancer. But I don't think he can pull off the old material anymore. They had to play "Open Arms" two full steps down just for him to sing it. I doubt he wants to tour anyway, since he hasn't since '95. He doesn't need to since he still gets paid a cut of Journey's touring revenue, possibly more than any of the current members. I'm sure Neal Schon gets more of the gross but he has to pay five ex-wives.

• Kreese
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 07:41:59 AM »

Yeah, he can't hit high notes anymore, but he doesn't sound that different from how he sounded on Trial by Fire which was 22 years ago. This song might as well be one of the crappy deep cuts from that album.

• Kreese
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 10:41:26 AM »

Wish this had gotten an official release, it's better than any of the songs on his solo albums (but still not Journey-level).