Author Topic: Scooby-Doo: The Various TV Series & Movies Discussion Thread  (Read 223 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Scooby-Doo: The Various TV Series & Movies Discussion Thread
« on: August 29, 2018, 08:13:18 AM »
Been getting into Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated from 2010-2011 and want to get into the newer series, Be Cool, Scooby Doo!. One of my favorite cartoons still remains A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.

I grew up on the original classic series (who didn't, eh?) and am a total sucker for the TV Movies: Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf (1988) and Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School (1988). I've also enjoyed more recent TV Movie fare such as Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island (1998) and Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost (1999).

The live action movies were fine for what they were. I'm actually impressed at how many different alterations on the characters there are within each individual series and the TV Movies/Movies themselves. Also props to Matthew Lillard for becoming the Shaggy for a new generation of fans.

A new series is coming in 2019, Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? in which the gang teams up with celebrities to solve cases. Sounds like something that could be unique or pretty lame.

Any favorite villains? Series? TV Movies?

Online The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
Re: Scooby-Doo: The Various TV Series & Movies Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:08:22 AM »
Favorite villains ever are Spooky Space Kook, The Technicolor Phantoms (who I tend to confuse with the Green Globs of the Mama Cass episode), and anything that involved Gibby Norton.

Mystery Incorporated was quite the show, as it was fun to see an overarching plot with all kinds of twists and turns. Be Cool feels like it's in the same pocket as A Pup Named Scooby Doo as part of the fun of the show is making fun of fifty years of tropes, especially in the episode where they had to stay the night in the mansion.

One of my favorite lines ever was Casey Kasem as a malt shop cook who exclaims "What kind of kooky fifty cent piece is this?!" at Ankha's coin in Scooby Doo & A Mummy, Too.
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 6 IS UNDERWAY!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: Scooby-Doo: The Various TV Series & Movies Discussion Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:43:23 AM »
Just re-watched Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School and it still holds up for me. I never really cared for the Revolta subplot but I was a total sucker for the girls as daughters of the Universal Monsters, all of the monster related humor & jokes, and the battle of schools in the Volleyball game. Throw the usual Shaggy/Scooby/Scrappy fun and this remains a favorite kids movie of mine.

Also I can probably blame this movie for a lot of my love of puns as this movie is a master class in punnery ;)

This and the actual race stuff in Scooby Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf are a lot of fun.