Author Topic: BlacKkKlansman  (Read 105 times)

Description:

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
BlacKkKlansman
« on: September 03, 2018, 04:01:24 AM »
Went and saw BlacKkKlansman yesterday.  909 wrote a pretty pitch perfect review in his currently in theaters thread, though like me, I would suggest revisiting that after you've seen the film.

Great performances all around, film moved me several times.  I love a lot of Spike's work and this is him back in top form, as his last few haven't quite resonated as much as his earlier films or even stuff I really liked from the early part of the century like Bamboozled.

Really hope this doesn't get lost in the shuffle in award season because this is the best movie I've seen in some time but I appreciate that the film was pushed out early more in line with the social message being presented than caring about collecting awards, even though they'd be well deserved.

Love to see more talk about the film here, or hopes of getting this thread started pushes people who have not made it out to see this film yet get out there and experience it.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
Re: BlacKkKlansman
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 04:34:59 AM »
The ending hit me hard, I've never wanted to yell at the screen like that before. Extremely well executed.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:04:19 AM »
Yeah, I was definitely welling up at the ending.  A lot of reaction in my theater too, which I think is a good thing.
[img width=800

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 07:32:16 AM »
Personally, I thought BlacKkKlansman was decent. Not great, especially after seeing Sorry to Bother You and Blindspotting. I wanted something more savagely satirical and visceral, like a black power Inglourious Basterds. Didn't feel like I got anything close to that and if anything, BlacKkKlansman passed up every opportunity to go in that direction.

Adam Driver's performance as the proxy Stallworth bugged me; he appeared to be bored the entire time. Just about everyone else in the cast was very good though - John David Washington, Laura Harrier, and Topher Grace's performances in particular.

Boots Riley had a lot to say about BlacKkKlansman, although a large part of me feels like he's really just trying to drum up press and distribution interest for Sorry to Bother You: https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/boots-riley-pens-essay-on-problems-with-blackkklansman-713144/
Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 07:57:41 AM »
Sorry to Bother You is one I wanted to see and I regret not getting out to it.  I will have to read that piece.
[img width=800

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
Sorry to Bother You's ending is too ridiculous for me. I also don't agree with Riley's criticisms of this film. Ron Stallworth called him demented.

I think those criticisms above are valid though.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest