Author Topic: MLB Offseason Thread 2019: Pitch Clock Imminent?  (Read 3245 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
MLB Offseason Thread 2019: Pitch Clock Imminent?
« on: October 19, 2018, 12:22:34 AM »
I can't find numbers but IIRC I read that the length of games still was close to 3 Hours by the end of the season, which would necessitate a pitch clock inclusion for the 2019 MLB Season. Rule would be 18 Second Clock with no runners on starting May 1st if games were 2:55 or longer.

http://m.yesnetwork.com/news/article/2018/06/15/281364970

"Commissioner Rob Manfred announced earlier this week at the owners meetings in New York that the average contest this year is running 2 hours, 59 minutes, 49 seconds. The average was 3:05:11 a year ago." That was from June 15th.

Here's the breakdown of the LCS games this year. (worth noting that most of the ALCS started around 8:30 PM ET)

ALCS Game 1 - 4:03
ALCS Game 2 - 3:45
ALCS Game 3 - 3:52
ALCS Game 4 - 4:33
ALCS Game 5 - 3:35

NLCS Game 1 - 4:02
NLCS Game 2 - 3:32
NLCS Game 3 - 3:25
NLCS Game 4 - 5:15 (Went 13 Innings)
NLCS Game 5 - 3:35

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
Re: MLB Offseason Thread 2019: Pitch Clock Imminent?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »
The problem is that teams use their bullpen a lot and some of them use bullpen games throughout the season, which makes the games longer.  I'd lessen the time between innings from two minutes to a minute and a half.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 04:34:58 AM »
The problem is that teams use their bullpen a lot and some of them use bullpen games throughout the season, which makes the games longer.  I'd lessen the time between innings from two minutes to a minute and a half.

Maybe but I read that a breakdown was done a few years ago that basically said the time was all down to the "between pitches" slowness as opposed to pitching changes or even mound visits.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2018/apr/06/snapple/are-there-only-18-minutes-action-baseball-game/

"Instead, the culprit was the time between pitches, Brisbee found. He zeroed in on what he called "inaction pitches" -- balls, called strikes, or missed swinging strikes that didn’t result in the end of an at-bat or the advancement of a runner.

Brisbee found that 146 inaction pitches were thrown in the 1984 game, with 144 such pitches in the 2014 game -- an almost identical amount.

What wasn’t identical was the time those inaction pitches took up. In the 1984 game, inaction pitches accounted for 32 minutes and 47 seconds. In the 2014 game, they accounted for 57 minutes and 41 seconds. That’s nearly an 80 percent increase."

Offline strummer

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »
The Angels named Brad Ausmus their next manager

Offline alkeiper

• Welcoming our new insect overlords
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 01:50:27 AM »
The Marlins are expected to announce the signings of Cubans Victor Victor Mesa and Victor Mesa Jr. The elder Mesa brother is 22, from his Cuban stats looks like a speedster. The younger Mesa is 17. Their father was one of the all time great players in post-revolution Cuba.

The Marlins are a garbage fire of a franchise but hopefully for them they can start to establish an identity. This is a good start.

Offline strummer

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 03:17:10 PM »
Willie McCovey has died at age 80.  One of the most feared hitters of his day.  RIP to "Stretch"

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 12:44:11 AM »
From SABR:

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/2a692514

McCovey had as much raw power as anyone who has ever played baseball. And one of its greatest gentlemen to boot.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 12:50:12 AM »
Couple more quick notes on McCovey. It took the Giants years to figure out what to do with him. McCovey came to the majors in 1959, hit .354 in 52 games and won rookie of the year. But the Giants had come up with Orlando Cepeda the previous year and it took McCovey four years to become a full time player. I think it's easy to estimate he lost at least 900 plate appearances early in his career, probably more than that. He played in a pitchers' era, in a pitchers' park. Bring him in today and even if he suffers the same injuries he still hits 600 home runs.

Major League Baseball started keeping Intentional Walks as an official category in the mid 50s. McCovey retired second all time after Hank Aaron, he's still fourth. McCovey was also intentionally walked 45 times in 1969, more times in a season than any other player not named Barry Bonds.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 03:09:36 AM »
I can't find the tweet but some one posted that Willie hit 56 home runs at Jack Murphy in two seasons. The Murph wasn't a home run hitters park.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 06:55:07 AM »
I can't find the tweet but some one posted that Willie hit 56 home runs at Jack Murphy in two seasons. The Murph wasn't a home run hitters park.
52 HRs in 321 games with the Padres. Career at Jack Murphy McCovey hit 32 home runs in 222 games. It doesn't look impressive at a glance but McCovey had the highest home run percentage of any Padre hitter in the 1970s, including Nate Colbert.

Offline Slayer

• I have no lies or truth in what I say
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »
Two things I think of w/r/t McCovey:

1) He's #3 on the list of fewest ASG appearances for first-ballot HOFers with only six in twenty-two seasons, with only Frank Thomas (five) and Robin Yount (three, only one more than his MVP count) having fewer.

2) When Nolan Ryan name-dropped him after Jim Rome asked Ryan about his infamous head-pounding of Robin Ventura

"I'd only had two guys charge at me before then... the first was Willie McCovey, and the second was Dave Winfield, so by the time Robin charged at me I was just relieved to see a little guy..."

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 04:31:40 AM »
If not for injuries, McCovey probably would have hit 30+ HR in 9 straight years and was a HR shy (2 years at 39) of having 4 seasons with 40+ HR in that span.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 05:09:01 AM »
C.C. Sabathia re-signs with the Yankees for another year. He will be an interesting Hall of Fame case. Next season should push him past 250 wins. He has a career winning percentage over .600, he's 51st all time in pitching WAR and had a five year stretch of consecutive top five Cy Young finishes (and he won the award once).

Offline claydude14

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 06:51:12 PM »
I’m sure y’all saw the tweet from a United Center’s kid of Bryce Harper/White Sox... that would be damn interesting but the narrative is the Phillies.

Offline strummer

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 10:21:58 AM »
Jacob deGrom wins NL Cy Young.  29 of 30 first place votes.  Woooo hoooooo!!!

RIP pitcher wins

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 07:34:59 AM »
Rob Manfred is still your MLB Commissioner. Also, Fox re-upped their deal with MLB, so more Joe Buck and John Smoltz calling World Series games.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 01:01:44 AM »
Jacob deGrom wins NL Cy Young.  29 of 30 first place votes.  Woooo hoooooo!!!

RIP pitcher wins

Ian Snell won the AL Cy Young for Tampa Bay while Mookie Betts (w00t!) won AL MVP and Christian Yelich won for the NL MVP.

All deserving and no real surprises IMO.

Offline strummer

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »
The Mariners have traded James Paxton to the Yankees

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 07:00:34 AM »
Josh Donaldson and Brian McCann to the Braves on one year contracts. Braves are spending $23 million on Donaldson but I think it's a good low risk, high reward signing for them.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 01:37:36 AM »
The Athletics unveiled their proposed new ballpark. This is actually something unique and I hope it comes through:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/A-s-propose-jewel-box-ballpark-for-13426272.php

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »
Cubs trade Tommy La Stella to the Angels for Cash and a player to be named later

Kind of bums me out as that dude was one of the best pinch hitters in baseball and I always liked him.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 02:19:27 AM »
A list to kill time while we wait for a Robinson Cano trade.

Best MLB Players of the Last 50 Years (by WAR)
Looking at 1969-2018. So any playing time before 1969 doesn't count, which is why you won't find Hank Aaron and Willie Mays.

C Johnny Bench
Gary Carter takes over after 2019 when Bench's career fades further into the rearview mirror.
1B Albert Pujols
2B Joe Morgan
Morgan will hold this spot until either Robinson Cano passes him, or after 2021 when he loses enough ground to Lou Whitaker
SS Cal Ripken
Alex Rodriguez is number one if you rate him as a shortstop. Rodriguez played a plurality of his games at short.
3B Mike Schmidt
Adrian Beltre falls short of Schmidt, but he is in second place about Boggs, Brett and Chipper Jones
LF Barry Bonds
CF Ken Griffey Jr.
Mike Trout is fourth. A 5.5 win season will move him to second place.
RF Larry Walker
I don't know if I'm sold, but Walker was a hell of a player.
DH Frank Thomas

SP Roger Clemens
SP Greg Maddux
SP Randy Johnson
SP Bert Blyleven
SP Tom Seaver
People may dismiss Blyleven as a compiler. Number six is Niekro and he is this high for the same reason. Number seven is Pedro if you're looking for peak.

CL Mariano Rivera

LHRP Billy Wagner/John Hiller (tie)

Offline pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 03:22:56 AM »
I'm probably supposed to hate this Cano trade, but I don't.

Online New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 04:54:50 AM »
Craig Kimbrell is looking for a minimum six-year deal.  Good luck with that, dude.

Why haven't they given Mookie all the money yet?

Offline strummer

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 05:24:52 AM »

yeah same with me

also looks like Noah Syndergaard will be traded.  It was a pleasure to watch him pitch. I'm not sentimental about sports that much anymore but this one kinda hurts

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 12:25:22 PM »

Because it's not a bad trade for the Mets. They are getting a guy who can hit for average and has pop, even after his PED suspension he hit the cover off the ball. Plus, playing for the Yankees, there's no need to worry if this will be a Jason Bay situation with a guy who can't perform in a big city. They're also getting a stud closer who has 4 years left on his contract. I hate people who bitch about trading prospect. The Mets have an awful history of "top prospects." When was the last one that actually came to be anything? Plus, they're unproven and the people bitching have never seen them play, they're just pissed because they've read a few articles about how they're supposed to feel about them. Do it.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 07:05:03 AM »
The Cano trade I'm on the fence about. He probably becomes a first baseman by 2021. Edwin Diaz is elite, but that doesn't do you much good if you can't get the lead to the bullpen to begin with. But they didn't really give up significant pieces either.

The Phillies traded Carlos Santana and J.P. Crawford to the Mariners for Jean Segura, Juan Nicasio and James Pazos. Great, great trade for the Phils. They solidify themselves at shortstop and move Rhys Hoskins back to first base where he belongs without giving up any prospects at all (unless there's a hidden surprise). The Mariners are just dumping salary at this point.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 06:58:14 AM »
Patrick Corbin is a National. Seems like every transaction this offseason sends more talent to the National League East.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 09:18:15 AM »
I guess the Diamondbacks officially give up.

They just traded Goldschmidt to the Cardinals.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Online New-New-New England Order

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 03:32:31 AM »
Boston is close to signing Nathan Eovaldi.  I hoped they would reach a deal because he's great depth for that rotation and he deserved a good contract after last season and the playoffs.

Offline Cartman

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2018, 07:41:13 AM »
4 Years 67.5 Million for Evoaldi, I like the guy and what he did this past season, but that's a ridiculous overpay.

Offline The King of Trash

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »
Alex Rodriguez is number one if you rate him as a shortstop.

and people will still shit on this legend smfh

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2018, 11:29:09 PM »
Alex Rodriguez is number one if you rate him as a shortstop.

and people will still shit on this legend smfh

[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 02:36:15 AM »
Purely by statistics, Rodriguez is the second best player of the last fifty years (behind Barry Bonds). If you disqualify Bonds and Rodriguez, that makes Rickey Henderson the best player. Chew on that a moment.

All time Rodriguez is #2 in Wins Above Replacement among shortstops (trailing only Honus Wagner) who played at least 40% of their games there. He's #4 among all infielders (behind Rogers Hornsby and Eddie Collins). That era is such a long time ago that I really doubt those stars could play as well in today's game. Rodriguez barring a steroid penalty is honestly in the G.O.A.T. discussion.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »
Andrew McCutchen is a Phillie. I like it. 3 years.

Offline The King of Trash

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
Purely by statistics, Rodriguez is the second best player of the last fifty years (behind Barry Bonds). If you disqualify Bonds and Rodriguez, that makes Rickey Henderson the best player. Chew on that a moment.

All time Rodriguez is #2 in Wins Above Replacement among shortstops (trailing only Honus Wagner) who played at least 40% of their games there. He's #4 among all infielders (behind Rogers Hornsby and Eddie Collins). That era is such a long time ago that I really doubt those stars could play as well in today's game. Rodriguez barring a steroid penalty is honestly in the G.O.A.T. discussion.

Do you think people are right in saying his less-than-stellar playoff stats means he's not worthy of that discussion?

Offline Gert

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »

Agreed. I think this is a good deal, and one it would be nice if teams tried to model in the future. It's funny when the Phillies owner talked about spending "stupid money" in the off-season this seemed like a 5/75 instead of 3/36.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 12:41:20 AM »

Do you think people are right in saying his less-than-stellar playoff stats means he's not worthy of that discussion?
No. Rodriguez had an .822 OPS in the postseason which is not his regular season production but not useless either. Rodriguez hit .365/.500/.808 in the 2009 postseason which should have put it all to rest.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2018, 12:56:49 AM »

Agreed. I think this is a good deal, and one it would be nice if teams tried to model in the future. It's funny when the Phillies owner talked about spending "stupid money" in the off-season this seemed like a 5/75 instead of 3/36.
I noted this on Twitter:

Phillies RFs (2015-2018): .241/.301/.388
Andrew McCutchen (2018): .255/.368/.424

The Phillies have been getting sub-replacement production from RF for the last four years. Last year Altherr and Williams combined for -1.8 WAR. Williams and Saunders in 2017 were -0.6. (Altherr was better but he played half his games in left). Peter Bourjos and Altherr combined for -0.2 in 2016. 2015 the Phillies had Jeff Francoeur, Grady Sizemore and Domonic Brown and they all combined for -1.9. Even if I give them all the credit for Altherr in 2017 (1.7 WAR), that's still almost three wins below replacement. It's hard to imagine McCutchen even at the end of the deal being worse.

One possible bonus, McCutchen has 25 more home runs in his career on the road. This is the first time in his career McCutchen's home park will have a shorter left field fence.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2018, 05:57:14 PM »

The Dodgers badly need bullpen arms. Also, this guy lives in my city during the offseason and I'm pretty sure I've seen him before.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline strummer

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2018, 10:18:39 PM »
Mets sign Jeurys Familia. 3 years/30 million.  Not feeling this move

Offline strummer

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »
Mets sign Wilson Ramos to a 2 year deal

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2018, 11:00:02 AM »
This seems like the most active the Mets have been in some time.

Offline Smues

• Admin
  • Smuesicide
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2018, 03:26:10 AM »
Safeco Field is now TMobile Park. Boo-urns.
I want Jimmy Fallon to be dead. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Offline Bladelock

• brock lock
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2018, 04:02:07 AM »
More allegations about Addison Russell treating women like shit are out. The Cubs really need to cut ties with this scumbag.

Offline strummer

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2018, 03:35:27 AM »
not official but looks like Manny Machado is going to sign with the Yankees

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2018, 05:08:02 AM »
Athletics signed RHP Joakim Soria to a two-year, $15 million contract.

Athletics acquired INF Jurickson Profar, Rays acquired RHPs Emilio Pagán, Rollie Lacy and 2019 competitive balance draft pick and Rangers acquired LHPs Kyle Bird, Brock Burke, RHP Yoel Espinal, INF Eli White and international slot compensation in a three-team trade.

Profar's seemingly been due to "breakout" for a while and sort of did last year with 35 Doubles and 20 HR so it'll be interesting to see how he does with Oakland.

Offline alkeiper

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2018, 07:11:46 AM »
25 year old who can play shortstop and hit 20 HRs, that's certainly valuable in itself. If Profar never improves the A's still have a useful player. If he does improve they have a potential All Star.

Offline Flik

• DorianS
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2018, 08:05:49 AM »
Kemp, Puig and Woods heading to the Reds.

Jeter Downs, Josiah Gray, and a second round heading to the Dodgers.

Salary dump? That's all I got here.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2018, 08:08:42 AM »
Yeah they want Harper and/or Kluber and/or Pollock.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest