Author Topic: The Big Dawg Roman Reigns: The Thread  (Read 962 times)

Description:

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
The Big Dawg Roman Reigns: The Thread
« on: October 23, 2018, 07:37:45 AM »
Love him or hate him, Roman had a huge impact on wrestling for his short career (and hopefully he will be back!). Talk about your favourite moments (or least favourite!) ITT. Any news or anything else as well, you know the drill. THE BIG DAWG deserves his own thread.

Cool silent hunter-killer Roman, and asshole selfie-taking Roman were my two favourite Romans.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
Re: The Big Dawg Roman Reigns: The Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »
There's a ton of stories like that coming out.  Aleister Black posted something to his Facebook and lots and lots of tweets from people all over the industry.

To me, Roman was a lot like the Super Cena reign.  I really dug what got them over at first (rapper Cena and silent killer Shield Roman) but became indifferent at times about the act once pushed to the top and altered from what made me lie them originally.  I thought the performer was good but just had such little interest in the act that was being forced.  Agree with CWM on which versions of Roman were most entertaining.
[img width=800

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 01:15:04 PM »
It sucks that they spent so much time on making him THE GUY and all he got out of it was 4 world title reigns of which three of them didn't really amount to shit. He really should have just won MITB in 2015 or been the one to win the '14 Rumble after it was clear that the crowd definitely didn't want Batista and at least Reigns was over and in the middle of a mega push. Reigns destroying Orton (and possibly Batista) at Mania could have just as easily led into the Evolution feud and Seth's eventual turn and with Reigns having the belt it would have been a better turn since, as it stood, Seth's turn didn't seem to make a large amount of sense (joining up with the guy whose group he just wrecked at two prior PPVs).
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 6 IS UNDERWAY!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

Offline strummer

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 01:24:11 PM »
I don't know, the crowds would have wanted .Bryan over him in 2014;  if Roman is in all these top feuds and Bryan is stuck with Sheamus in the midcard at Mania the crowds would have hijacked big time.  Bryan was the only option in 2014

Offline claydude14

• CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
I never had an explicit problem with Roman Reigns the character but the start and stop bullshit to have him keep chasing Lesnar instead of solidifying him as THE GUY hurt the character overall IMO

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:07:45 AM »
I'm one of the few online that has been supportive of Roman Reigns.  I fully admit that I'm a fan of his, think he is massively underrated as an in-ring performer, and am usually entertained by his matches.  His booking has indeed been terrible and they have almost seen to have gone out of his way to have him look bad at times, whether it was giving him laughable scripted lines to say, have him take a nap in the middle of a Royal Rumble, or continually have him come up short in title matches.  For someone who was meant to be the face of the company, he sure jobbed a lot. 

The highlight for me, other than the Shield, was the Braun feud from last year (which also turned Braun into a star).  Just a classic hard-hitting feud between two big bulls with the crazy antics we used to have.  After that would be his feud with Styles over the World Title.  That was the one time Roman got a proper title feud that was seen to completion and it was really good. 

Even aside from not wanting him dead or forced into retirement because of this cancer thing, I just like watching the guy and want to see him back.  I know that's selfish on my part (even though that's certainly the ideal outcome for him personally as well), but I can't deny it.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 03:15:46 AM »
Yeah I've been a fan of Roman the whole way although I thought he'd backslide a bit the last year or so when he was out for a month or two and was basically just doing Superman Punches and Spears. Prior to that I thought he was a very underrated big match worker and the last few matches he worked with seth and dean he was really busting his ass again.

I think Roman was meant to be a heel or at the very least a very different face than the kind of face Vince tries to make all of his top faces into. He was always so uncomfortable doing the scripted lines and especially the pg comedy. Let him act like a no-nonsense badass or a cocky jock though and he totally nailed it.

There's a lot of matches he had I really loved but the one with AJ really stands out I think. He also had some of the best matches with Big Show that Show has had in the last decade if not show's career.

Offline Super Leather

• CXF Writer
    • Rock 'n' Wrestling
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 07:12:29 AM »
FUCK CANCER. I hope Roman Superman punches it back into remission and lives a long, healthy life with his family and money intact. Believe in DA BIG DAWG!
Find my Rock 'n' Wrestling column via this magazine: http://goblinkomegamall.com/collections/pork-magazine
PORK #29 now available! This issue's column is a tribute to Bruno Sammartino. PM me if you would like a copy in exchange for postage cost!

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 07:04:29 AM »
He made Braun. I don't care what anyone says.

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 10:09:35 AM »
I'm abstaining from any critique of Roman's work because I don't feel right shitting on somebody going through such a horrible ordeal. To keep it as brief as I can, I liked him in the Shield and, after the split, he was a massive reason I stopped watching altogether. Some of it is absolutely the push, but I can deal with lousy booking if the performer is that damn good.

Joe Anoa'i, however, seems to be nothing but an incredible human being. He has a great look, is clearly super athletic, and keeps a good head on his shoulders at all times. I want nothing more than for him to win this battle and come back to the ring, despite my issues with his abilities, because nobody who brings that much positive energy to the world deserves this bullshit.

Offline Thrasher

• Owner of Too Many Jerseys
  • All hail Gritty!
    • Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 02:58:44 PM »
He isn't a bad guy. His booking has sucked but so did Cena's while he was on top. The next guy's booking will suck too.
Sport Finds Blog - My blog where I post the licensed gear I bought

http://sportsfinds.blogspot.com

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 07:37:20 PM »
Honestly, I just never cared for the booking for Roman. Roman was always a better character when they weren't trying to make him be the PG "Suffering Succotash" type of guy. He's pretty good in the ring. I wouldn't say he's one of the best performers, but I would say that he's like the Miz or Cena. He knew what to do, how to do it and he did a damn good job with what he could do.

I really hope he comes back. Regardless of the booking, Joe is just a really great human being. Here's hoping he does.

Offline Nymyzys

• TRTSM's Color Commentator
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 06:22:24 AM »
Suffering Succotash and that Jolly Green Giant promo are really what brought his aura to a dead stop.  When he was the silent juggernaut of the Shield, destroying everything in his path, and just giving quick whispers during Shield promos, he was red hot.  Watch his pre-shoulder (?) injury matches, when he was annihilating RybAxel in handicap matches every week on RAW.  The crowds were loving him and wanted more.  He didn't really have the natural speaking ability of John Cena, to be cutting promos that lasted more than a minute though.

His ring work leaves a lot to be desired, but he does well-enough with what he does do.  A different finisher (that sick sit-out Crucifix Powerbomb) and a new look will do him wonders when he comes back in a couple years. 

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 06:27:40 AM »
You know in retrospect, they should have turned him into Goldberg. Just have him come out on Raw, wrestle Curtis Axel for two minutes, punch and spear. And just keep doing that over and over.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »
[img width=800

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 06:19:18 AM »

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2018, 11:13:19 AM »
https://www.pwinsider.com/article/122242/roman-reigns-update.html?p=1

I don't know if he'll be on the broadcast or anything but damn Big Dawg, take it easy man.

Offline Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 07:46:26 AM »

I don't know if he'll be on the broadcast or anything but damn Big Dawg, take it easy man.

I think his doctors are going to start advising him to really take it easy soon with the news he's pulling out of comic con. Or they just can't trust the cleanliness of a place like that while someone is going thru chemo

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 07:51:26 AM »
Yeah. Doing personal appearances when the doctors have irradiated your immune system to death seems pretty fucking dumb.
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Thrasher

• All hail Gritty!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 07:30:17 AM »

I think his doctors are going to start advising him to really take it easy soon with the news he's pulling out of comic con. Or they just can't trust the cleanliness of a place like that while someone is going thru chemo

Definitely not because of all the unwashed masses that want to touch you.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/9buc05/psa_for_everyone_going_to_all_in_this_weekend/

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 08:21:03 AM »
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.