Author Topic: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 - January 4th, 2019  (Read 1232 times)

Description:

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 - January 4th, 2019
« on: November 05, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »
This deserves its own thread. We're coming up on NJPW's flagship event, Wrestle Kingdom.

5 matches already announced:

1. Kenny Omega (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi - IWGP Heavyweight Championship
2. Chris Jericho (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito - IWGP Intercontinental Championship
3. Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White
4. Kushida (c) vs. Taiji Ishimori - IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
5. Suzuki-gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado) (c) vs. Roppongi 3K (Sho and Yoh) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Bushi and Shingo Takagi) - IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship

I greatly enjoyed last year's show and this is shaping up to be good too. While I'm dissapointed that Naito never ended up being world champ over the past year, Jericho putting him over here will give him a huge rub so that's cool. Okada better drag a MOTYC out of White.

Cody's also gonna be defending the US title. ROH will probably be involved with a world title bout. The NEVER title will be on the line. Something's gotta happen with Ibushi and the Bucks. BCOG will defend the belts against whoever wins the world tag league. All this and more. Discuss all things Wrestlekingdom!

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
Re: NJPW Wrestlekingdom 13 - January 4th, 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 01:47:35 PM »
I don't think beating Jericho gives him much of a rub tbh. Jericho totally destroyed him once which hurt him. If Naito destroys Jericho to the same level it'd help but I don't think that's going to happen.

Omega Vs Tanahashi should be great but the build isn't setting the world on fire for me. Okada Vs Jay White has a lot of heat which is great and White is great at the character work side of things but I don't really want to see him get pushed at a top level. The G1 with all of the interference and runin's got really brutal at times and Jay in the main events would just be that all over again. If you're going to push a  new foreign guy to the top it should be Sabre or Juice.

Kushida Vs Ishimori should be good but the junior divisions are pretty dead. It's just a handful of workers (and teams) trading the belts back and forth with no real focus. The Jr tag re-match is a good example. I expect Shingo/BUSHI to win here.

I'm sure the card will be excellent but from a booking pov i'm not felling it so far and I'm more interested in the fallout at the NY Dash show the day after.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:50:18 AM »
It sucks that Ospreay got hurt, because it seemed like they were ready to put the NEVER title on him to set up a match with Ibushi at WK, which would have been amazing. I wonder if they will hope Ospreay is ready by December to set that up, or if they will keep it on Goto if he's not and have Goto vs Ibushi. I'm very interested to see where Ishii and Suzuki end up on the card.

I don't like the 3 way re-match for the Junior title. I don't get it, either. Why have R3K win the tournament just to set up the same match for the title? Give them a one on one and then do a multi-man match for the #1 contender or something.

The show should be a lot of fun, though.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:06:10 AM »
I think it just shows how little they care about the Jr Tag belts tbh. The whole juniors division feels secondary to the heavys and with the way they're always promoting the best guys it loses a lot of its appeal too. I get why they do the second part but during the "golden era" of NJPW juniors it was just as exciting as the heavys and probably more so a lot of the time, and guys like Liger while they'd occasionally compete as heavys still stuck as juniors which made the division feel like a bigger deal. Now it feels like aside from KUSHIDA almost anyone who catches on might just end up getting bumped up to heavy even if it doesn't really suit them (Taichi...).

Obviously you can also argue that it's a nice thing that guys can break down the barrier between the divisions more now and I get that. That said I miss when NJPW had clear booking plans and separate storylines (even factions!) for the juniors that had nothing to do with the other divisions.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 04:22:18 AM »
The thing is, they have a good roster of talent in the Junior divisions, both single and tag. They can even have R3K work single matches if they wanted to. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see SHO move up. Dude is built like a beast and would be awesome in the heavyweight division. I love he and YOH together, though, as they work so well together.

I've watched more NJPW this year than I have previously, and I watch the full shows. I've been enjoying the Young Lions matches and they have some really good talent coming up that can be put into the Junior division.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »
ZSJ/Ishii for the British Heavyweight Title confirmed for the show.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 12:39:41 AM »
Along with the aforementioned matches, three more have been announced bringing it to 9 bouts:

Cody vs Juice for the US title
Ibushi vs Ospreay for the NEVER title
GOD vs Young Bucks vs LIJ for the heavyweight tag titles.

Where the fuck is Suzuki?

People seem to be really salty about the Bucks being shoehorned into the tag match despite not competing in the World Tag League.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 01:33:52 AM »
Suzuki is missing, nothing with Baretta even though he could have had something to do with the US Title, or anything with Chuck Taylor after everything that happened during the Tag League. I'm thinking something else might be announced as the Road to shows progress.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 02:23:19 AM »
The Bucks being added is just super lazy booking especially when they're already doing the same thing with the Junior Tag match. It makes both matches less special and also reveals how uninteresting the divisions are tbh.

Suzuki might get put on somewhere and they're probably be a multiman as well as the traditional battle royale on the preshow. The card is good but I don't expect this to be one of the all-time WK's. That said, going in with lower exceptions I might get surprised.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 02:28:52 AM »
The pre-show will be a gauntlet to determine the #1 contenders for the 6-man titles so everyone is likely to get chucked there. I actually do wish we got the Rumble as it's a fun crowd pleaser.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 04:42:21 AM »
I think the top matches could be fantastic. There's a ton of talent in those matches, regardless of personal feelings towards the characters. Okada was able to get a good watchable match out of Fale, and Jay White is much better than Fale. That match should be very good, if not more. The world title match should be fantastic. KUSHIDA vs Ishimuri could be a show stealer. Ospreay vs Ibushi is a dream match, the Junior Tag match should be great as there is some fantastic talent in there. Cody vs Juice should be a fun match as Cody can work a match, even though he's not a 5 star kind of guy, and Juice is always entertaining.

Regarding multiple team matches, NJPW always does multiple team matches for the Junior Tag, and they are usually fun.

Online Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 05:14:14 AM »
The only things I have a problem with are the already mentioned Bucks being thrown in the tag title match and Jericho being on the card, which is something I've harped on a lot as it relates to the other cards he's been on.

Looking forward to the rest.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 - January 4th, 2019
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 01:52:15 AM »
I wonder what they're going to with Naito after he vanquishes Jericho. I really don't want to see him with any title other than the heavyweight but maybe he becomes the workhorse and goes on to feud with Suzuki?

I also really want Hiromu to appear on the show. I think I suggested in chat that he could back Naito and Jericho attacks him drawing more heat but that likely won't happen given his fragile state.

EDIT - Here's Naito mocking Jericho's stupid 80s glam rock look:

Offline Slayer

• I have no lies or truth in what I say
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 03:06:44 AM »

Chris Charlton translation of the Naito video

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 03:20:25 AM »
How do they redeem Naito after being obliterated by Jericho? I almost feel like they need to have Naito squash him a la Goldberg/Lesnar.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 03:27:12 AM »
The line about Jericho ripping off popular shirt designs got a chuckle out of me.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 03:53:27 AM »
How do they redeem Naito after being obliterated by Jericho? I almost feel like they need to have Naito squash him a la Goldberg/Lesnar.

That is what should happen yeah. Naito needs a huge win just to get back to where he was with the IC belt. It's very frustrating tbh.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 02:22:16 AM »
They announced teams for the 6-man gauntlet for the pre-show:

Suzuki/Archer/Smith
Taguchi/Yano/Makabe
Page/Takahashi/Scurll
Finlay/Cobb/Elgin (ugh)
Goto/Beretta/Chuckie T

Weird not seeing Suzuki and Scurll on the main card.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 04:38:52 AM »
We're only a week away! Who's hyped?

Here's a refresher of the full card:

* IWGP Title Match: Champion Kenny Omega vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
* IC IWGP Title Match: Champion Chris Jericho vs. Tetsuya Naito
* Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White
* IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: Champion KUSHIDA vs. Taiji Ishimori
* IWGP US Title Match: Champion Cody vs. Juice Robinson
* IWGP Tag Team Title Match: Champions Guerrillas of Destiny vs. The Young Bucks vs. EVIL and SANADA
* RevPro British Heavyweight Title Match: Champion Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
* IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Title Match: Champions Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado vs. Roppongi 3K vs. BUSHI and Shingo Takagi
* IWGP NEVER Openweight Title Match: Champion Kota Ibushi vs. Will Osperay
* Pre-Show gauntlet match to determine #1 contenders for NEVER six man titles: Ryusuke Taguchi, Toru Yano, & Togi Makabe vs. David Finley, Jeff Cobb, & Yuji Nagata vs. Best Friends & Hirooki Goto vs. Killer Elite Squad & Minoru Suzuki vs. Marty Scurll, Adam Page, & Yujiro Takahashi

Online Broward

• THUGBUTT CHEATERS
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 04:50:59 AM »
Has any word come about of Omega's contract? I know all of the talk about AEW is Cody, Bucks and Page but surely Omega would join in, yeah?

I assume the majority of gaijin lose on this card

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 11:45:17 AM »
Predictions: Tanahashi, Naito, Okada, Ishimori (I can see Kushida winning as one of the only retaining but tradition goes against it), Juice, GoD (If anyone is retaining it's them and the belts mean nothing), Sabre, BUSHI/Shingo, Ospreay (this is where they establish him as a heavy), never 6man....eh who cares.

It's possible they surprise with the finish on one of the top 3 matches but I sure hope not. Omega's title run has been a big let down coming off probably the greatest IWGP reign of all-time with Okada (and one of the best of any title). With Okada's long run done and Omega leaving or at least becoming a super infrequent act mostly geared for NA, NJPW needs a stable transitionary champion. There's no one to turn to better than Tanahashi.

Naito has already gotten wrecked by Jericho once and losing again would be a huge blow to him, although winning just puts him back where he was. He's stuck in a spot where even though he is almost certainly the most popular wrestler and biggest merch mover (especially in Japan) they just won't put him in the top spot for whatever reason. Hopefully this will change by the end of 2019 but I've given up counting on it. He should beat Jericho decisively.

Okada has been destroyed and beaten in every encounter leading into his match with Jay White, he's had his manager/mentor turn on him, and had his best buddy YOSHIHASHI get his head split open and vanish. Jay has more than gotten his heat and overness from this feud and it's time for the Ace to get his win back.
--

There are a number of matches that should be great and not many that should be below very good but I'm not really excited for this show compared to how I am for WK usually. I'm more interested to see the results and DASH the next day for what they set up for the coming year. NJPW badly needs a big shakeup to keep my interest.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 12:45:03 AM »
Less than 24 hours away!

The only update I've seen is Jericho/Naito being No DQ which was expected.

2019 wrestling will start off with a bang!

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 06:27:42 AM »
looks like it starts at 11pm pacific? I don't know if that counts the preshow? I'll probably chat for the early part of the show if anyone wants to.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 06:31:54 AM »
I'm likely not going to be able to get to the show until Friday night or Saturday at the earliest and even then, I doubt I can watch it all in one setting. Avoiding spoilers is going to be tough but I'll try.

The show starts at 2AM Eastern.

• Admin
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
Holy shit they're doing the opening nights of G1 in Dallas at the American Airlines Center.

MIGHT NEED TO GO TO DALLAS.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Admin
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 05:55:22 PM »
TWO NIGHT WRESTLE KINGDOM NEXT YEAR AT THE DOME BAH GAWDDDDDDD

• Admin
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 06:23:29 PM »
Pretty sure Ibushi just died.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 02:20:12 AM »
7/9 for the main card predictions. Only got the White/okada and the meaningless Heavy Tag match wrong.

People are calling Omega/Tanahashi a masterpiece and shit but I didn't think it was that great. It was very good yes but Omega's selling drove me fucking nuts. He went from selling like his knee was going to give out and he could barely move to dead-lifting Tanahashi with ease for 3 straight powerbombs in a matter of seconds. He just forgot the leg for the entire last stretch which considering his knee is basically his entire offense is pretty unforgivable to me. It was still a very enjoyable match but I'd never give it anything like 5 stars let alone a Meltzerian 6 or more.

Most of the show felt really rushed. The Jr Tag match was under 7 minutes. Everything after Ibushi/Ospreay until White/Okada was under 12 minutes, and White/Okada was under 15. Some of these going short were the right call like the Cody/Juice match but I wish they'd given more time to others.

Ibushi/Ospreay was really good and I hope that Ibushi isn't really fucked up. Jr Tag was too short to be anything but LIJ winning was the right call. Ishii/Sabre was on the verge of being something really great but needed another 5 minutes, sabre winning was good. Expected GoD to be the one team to retain but I'm glad they didn't, LIJ winning was much better. The match itself was good but not great for the division. Cody/Juice was basically just getting Cody the fuck out thankfully, what a terrible run he had in NJPW, he was never over and had a bunch of underwhelming matches. I hope he does better with his own company. Kushida/Ishimori was very good but I wish Kushida had won, TOO MANY TITLE CHANGES. Jay/Okada was very good and thank god okada is back in trunks. Okada losing was terrible. Jay's gotten the better of him like 20 times in a row and made him look like shit so bad. Jay is more than established at this point and there's a point where getting so many big wins is going to get the wrong reactions. If they have him beat Tanahashi on top of this I think fans will react very very badly. Jericho/Naito was an improvment on the first match and I liked it fine but I don't really care about Jericho in NJPW and i'm tired of Naito being jerked around. Tana/Omega I already talked about.

Overall this was a very good show but not a great WK IMO. They made mostly the right booking calls though and hopefully DASH will clear up a lot of things.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2019, 02:30:15 AM »

relatively good news.

Offline Slayer

• I have no lies or truth in what I say
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 04:19:22 AM »
didn't watch live as I had planned, woke up this morning to watch the matches I cared about unspoiled (Ibushi/Ospreay, Ishii/ZSJ, Jr title and the main), read the rest of the results and am pretty satisfied with my decision to not watch live

• Admin
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 04:26:46 AM »
They're playing the long game with Okada. The IMO way too long game.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 06:17:39 AM »
Sounds like Jericho is going to work a match with Tana. I'm okay with this as long as he doesn't go over, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't. Would also be cool with him giving Juice the rub.

https://www.gerweck.net/2019/01/04/chris-jericho-says-he-is-not-done-with-new-japan/

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 08:45:24 AM »
I don't really want to see Tanahashi working the matches Jericho has been working in NJPW that's just brawling and weapons shots and I don't think Jericho can work a Tanahashi style match anymore. It'll draw though and that is what is important. He has a rub to give to Juice so I'm fine with that.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 09:12:48 AM »
😂

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
I was surprised when I got home tonight and it looked like my AXS recording of NJPW for tonight said this week they were airing the Omega-Tanahashi match.  It says the recording is 2 hours so curious if they shoehorned anything else in.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
I was surprised when I got home tonight and it looked like my AXS recording of NJPW for tonight said this week they were airing the Omega-Tanahashi match.  It says the recording is 2 hours so curious if they shoehorned anything else in.

They showed the Cody vs Juice, and IC title matches as well. This and next week are 2 hours. The following week will be 1 more hour of WK, then they go into New Years Dash. They're trying to stay as close to the live shows as possible.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 10:38:34 PM »
DASH was a disappointment. The biggest angles were Yujiro and Chase Owens joining OG Bullet Club, Taichi pinning Naito, and Jay White/gedo/fale beating Tana/Okada/Yoshihashi and him challenging Tanahashi which he'd already done anyway.

Adding yujiro and Owens is a logical housekeeping move. Taichi vs Naito has been done before and while Naito took a beating last night and Taichi cheated like nuts to beat him in the multi-man it still doesn't do Naito any favours. Naito shouldn't be dropping direct falls to anyone much less Taichi, and I like Taichi. The Jay/Tana thing was inevitable but I'm pretty tired of Jay standing tall at the end of every show with the faces eating shit. They've done it on every show since what? the end of october?

They teased Nagata/Ishii and Goto/Cobb though so that's got me happy. I'd also love to see Sanada/Evil Vs MiSu/Sabre after seeing them interact so much in the multiman. I expect more from DASH though after the standards it's set in previous years. I understand NJPW is in uncertain waters right now with a lot of its foreign workers but I'm still let down.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2019, 01:29:38 AM »
🤣🤣

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 03:56:40 AM »
That was my reaction lol

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2019, 04:11:26 AM »
That had to be doctored, right? So ridiculous.

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2019, 05:07:47 AM »
Still a few shows behind and very new to watching NJPW semi-regularly but I am still not buying Jay White as a psychotic unhinged monster heel at all. Probably cause I'm a bit of an ROH stan but it still just seems like white meat babyface is way more in his wheelhouse.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2019, 05:15:13 AM »
Oh ya, the Okada pants video was originally a soccer game or something.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2019, 05:46:12 AM »

Offline Wrestlecuck

• www.wrestlecuck.com/forums
  • Kreese
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2019, 10:49:08 AM »

Cyrus was right

Offline claydude14

• CXF Writer
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »
Lmao is Dave serious? Seen that meme on Reddit. Specifically on r/RaimiMemes for the Pizza Time scene from Spider-Man 2.

Online Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2019, 12:21:44 PM »
Just finished the show and was pretty disappointed. Everything felt so rushed and most of the undercard felt like it didn't have enough time to breathe. Omega/Tanahashi was fine but I much preferred the Okada matches. With that said, I'm glad LIJ now hold most of the gold and I think splitting WK over two nights is a great idea.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2019, 06:43:37 AM »
I thought the show generally was pretty strong but most definitely it was affected by some rushed matches and finishes out of nowhere. It really could have used another half hour of total time to just give some of those matches that needed just a bit more time that much more.

Booking wise..... I'm kind of stupefied that they actually did a pretty good job with telling the story of Naito getting total revenge on Jericho but then follow that up the next night by f'n Tachi squashing him? That was the wrong move.

That opener was something else though and looking back I would put it around the same level as the main events as it did get the time needed to get especially for an opener it was good to see them give that time they needed. I'm thinking Ibushi got clocked accidentally by the post when he dropped his head down on a top rope adjustment before a big spot. It looked inadvertent and from that point on Ibushi looked legit out of it a bit.

Tanahashi and Omega to me delivered pretty excellent and was better than their 2016 match which I watched just prior to the show starting. It told a better story and the story arc of Tanahashi was a really cool finish to the event and the end of the era as they kept touting. The last year was pretty interesting how they booked him looking back and the father time story is still going to be played up here with him and White but I strongly advise them against a title switch there. It's feeling too forced with White so they better be careful. He's developing decent but not to the level they are expecting

I'd much rather a strong Naito heelish direction (have him destory Taichi and he snaps...leading to Tanahashi n Naito where you tell a story of Naito finally getting that run. It's time.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 07:22:51 AM »
Finally watched the first AXS TV special. Tanahashi-Omega definitely delivered. I really liked Tanahashi's story arc over the past year of being the veteran who has just enough gas tank left in the tank to overcome the odds. Him barely being able to play air guitar at the end was oddly touching.  Jericho Vs Naito was p. good too but not quite as strong as Jericho-Omega last year.

Juice Vs Cody was opener on broadcast. It wasn't advertised in the guide. Best thing I can say about this match was Cody's Jacksonville Jaguars themed tights. I'm more of a fan of Cody! than most of this forum but this match just felt like a rushed WWE house show main event.

They switched from Josh Barnett and Jim Ross commentary team to the NJPW World Team of Kevin Kelly, Don Callis, and Chris Charlton. I think I am in minority but I prefer the former. JR and Josh sound disengaged at times (and JR is beyond washed) but I like that it's treated like a legitimate athletic competition with them. Kevin Kelly and especially Don Callis sound way too sports entertainment-y for my liking. I don't see the need for an overtly heel commentator for NJPW. Callis just seems like he's there cause he's buddies with Jericho and Omega.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »
well they had gotten rid of callis at one point and then jericho complained about it online and he got rehired so yeah basically.