Author Topic: Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson Retiring  (Read 127 times)

Description:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson Retiring
« on: November 28, 2018, 05:18:36 AM »
Deserves its own thread IMO for his contributions to offense in college football.

One of the biggest proponents of the Triple Option 'Flexbone' Offense (and arguably its originator after marrying the Run & Shoot passing elements with the triple option attack in the late 1980s/early 1990s). Was the architect behind Georgia Southern's dominance in the mid 1980s as OC and then as HC in the late 90s, saw the rise of Hawai'i in the late 1980s and early 1990s, helped make Navy a legitimate feared team for most of the 2000s and rescued Georgia Tech from the Chan Gailey scrap heap.

He proved at Georgia Tech you could win with the Flexbone at a "big" college. If he wins his Bowl Game, he'll have 6 seasons with at least 8 Wins (only 3 losing seasons in his 2008-2018 run) and had 4 seasons with 9+ wins including an 11-3 year in 2014.

It'll be interesting if GT decides to stick with the offense and promote from within/try to hire somebody like Brian Bohannon from Kennesaw State (who's done an insane job there as their HC) or decide to go a different route towards the more conventional college style offenses.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

Re: Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson Retiring
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 06:46:02 AM »
I tell ya, when schools go from Option based to something completely different altogether it takes a while for things to shake out. My alma mater used to be straight triple option, even did a whole game without attempting a single official pass against FAMU in like 03 or 04.

When the option coach was fired and they hired a pass first guy he still had 3 years worth of option recruited athletes. At the FCS level not a lot of people were running the option so it was easy to recruit those outliers that got passed up by the other schools from major CFB, lower tier FBS, and the higher end FCS. We had some decent QBs/RBs come through that never would have really started in the SEC or similar but would have been good depth. We'd get some awesome blocking WRs that maybe didn't have the best hands but they'd be wide open for our few pass attempts because defenses bit HARD on that play action. (There was on hilariously mismatch when we brought in a DII to spend some of our FBS beating money. We had a 6'6 WR who wasn't really good, but still an athlete. The DII squad covered him with a 5'5 CB. We got more first downs from PI penalties than actual catches b/c that poor CB just kept climbing all over him).

So after losing the option coach the most we won was 3 games season 1, 1 game season 2, 0 games season 3 (including to a DII), and by the time we got to season 4 and were having four years of *his* recruits, we still weren't winners and he quit midseason.

Paul Johnson is well known and respected in FCS circles for what he's done for offenses. I was sad when he left Georgia Southern, mostly because I dislike change, but  also because of the same notion that this offense doesn't work in modern times on that level (except for the service academies). And he proved the naysayers wrong.

I love watching the option and love when I can catch a GT game these days. Hopefully they keep the offense. Best wishes to Coach Johnson.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
Re: Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson Retiring
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 07:22:08 AM »
I think what he accomplished at Georgia Tech was damn impressive considering he was recruiting the South, yes, but also had to fight against mid-tier programs for under the radar talent in Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, etc. as a school in its "backyard" region wise while being a Technical School.

He proved that not only could he recruit talent using an "old school" offense but could win games and beat some top level programs. I still remember his win over Georgia in 2010? and how stunned college football broadcasters were.

Also glad that 3 of his assistants have had great success including Jeff Monken (GS then Army), Ken Niumatalolo (who followed him at Navy as HC), Brian Bohannon at Kennesaw State, and Chad Lunsford at Georgia Southern who played under Johnson's Flexbone system in the early 2000s & returned to its roots for the 2018 Season and promptly has reeled off 9 wins.