Author Topic: Jordan Peele's "Us"  (Read 467 times)

Description:

Offline Next Big Comedy Star

• brock lock
Jordan Peele's "Us"
« on: December 25, 2018, 04:48:59 PM »

HOLY FUCK

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Re: Jordan Peele's "Us"
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 08:44:34 AM »
Jordan Peele is a mad genius. Add in Lupita Nyong'o and I seriously cannot wait for it!

Also never thought I'd get Luniz stuck in my head, in 2018, but here we are. 😂
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 11:59:21 PM »
I'm very excited about this one. I also have to admit that I'm stoked that Peele's staying in the horror genre (ala Carpenter, Craven, etc.) because I feel like filmmakers feel like they need to branch out/not be 'relegated' to the horror genre as a whole in order to get any recognition as a filmmaker.

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 02:56:45 AM »
This has my heart racing moreso than when I saw the trailer for Get Out. And once again I only have a general idea of the larger plot. I can draw some obvious conclusions.

This man is a really gifted filmmaker. I'm saying this off of one film and a trailer. I expect this to be a "must" in theaters when it drops. On the chance I have to see this solo (Mrs. SFH is so hit and miss on horror) I'm sure I can put together a group.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 05:08:08 AM »
I can't stop watching this trailer. I need this movie asap.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 03:49:07 AM »
Got my tickets for next Thurs. :D

Also:

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 03:56:45 AM »
Just got back from it. Definitely more straightforward horror but I liked Get Out better on the whole. This kind of felt like the plot to a 1 hour Twilight Zone episode stretched to a 2 hour movie and I don't know if it was warranted? 7/10

Lupita Nyong'o was fantastic and reminded me a lot of Toni Collette's performance from Hereditary last year. She probably won't get an Oscar nom but deserves one.

The direction was very good and the score was sublime. The use of NWA's "Fuck the Police" was a memorable one for me but I just didn't feel like the plot and characters were strong enough to reach where everything else was. Even the kills were pretty standard fare and not really creative, which was kind of disappointing given the potential avenues they could've gone with in that regard.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 07:16:50 AM »
If people didn't love Winston Duke from playing M'Baku, they should definitely love him now. Dude was a big highlight of this movie for me, along with the score and Lupita's performance. I think I also enjoyed Get Out more in an almost "complete package" kind of way. That said, I still really enjoyed this and am definitely seeing it again.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 12:01:00 PM »
This movie is gonna be so much more enjoyed in a week once everyone has read the articles explaining each given scenario. There is so much shit here that people probably didn't pick up on, some of it is subtext and other parts are blatantly obvious when you replay them in your mind. What I'll say is that it isn't as good as Get Out, but it's pretty damn close.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Gary

• The Red in the Sky Is Ours
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 12:49:04 PM »
Winston Duke making dad jokes is totally my kind of thing.

yes i am a "HO"

Honorable

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
    • Culture Crossfire
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 10:38:10 PM »
This movie is gonna be so much more enjoyed in a week once everyone has read the articles explaining each given scenario. There is so much shit here that people probably didn't pick up on, some of it is subtext and other parts are blatantly obvious when you replay them in your mind. What I'll say is that it isn't as good as Get Out, but it's pretty damn close.

I feel like this is one of those that will grow on me more upon re-watching it as I kind of went in expecting something closer to the pacing/flow of Get Out and this was far more of a traditional horror movie pace/set up/flow than I expected as I think about it more.

The boat stuff largely got the biggest laughs from my audience too. The line about not wanting the boat was great.

Offline Angle-plex

• Hey....it's sexy.....
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 02:42:11 AM »
Besides the directing and acting I didn't think much of this movie