Author Topic: The Favourite  (Read 70 times)

Description: Starring Olivia Colman, Rachel Weisz, Emma Stone

Offline Harley Quinn

• Admin
  • Laugh This Off... Puddin!
    • Culture Crossfire
The Favourite
« on: December 29, 2018, 04:57:35 AM »
9/10 Packed theater too, which was a pleasant surprise.

I hope Colman doesn't go under the radar as Queen Anne but they were all fantastic. I'm torn on who was better between Weisz and Stone as I felt Weisz had the stronger character but Stone did more 'acting' within her role. I'd partially lean towards Weisz but I know they'll be splitting votes at the Golden Globes and Oscars.

The war between England/France does a nice parallel to the role of Lady Sarah (Weisz) to Anne and the burgeoning move by Abigail (Stone) to try and recapture her initial lofty status that she had fallen from. The interplay between Weisz and Stone was mesmerizing and the growing displacement of status to the Queen + the duplicity on the end of Lord Harley (Nicholas Hoult) in aiding Abigail's rise for his own means in relation to the taxes/war was equally engaging.

One can anticipate the plot between Sarah/Abigail but it remains riveting and the performances are all fantastic. The score is really well done (by Elton John IIRC) and the set designs/costumes are lush and further embrace the 1800s period aesthetic. Constant use of a fish eye lens did draw my attention as a bit repetitive but the establishing shots of how big the rooms were was well done and creative at times.

The inclusion of the
Spoiler: show
lesbian sex/vulgar language
seems to have surprised some but I kind of anticipated it given the era and the "competition" to be of service to the Queen herself.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
Re: The Favourite
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:44:47 AM »
I saw this finally over the weekend, but I wasn't as impressed as most on this one. The cinematography was surely impressive no doubt, and I thought performances were pretty strong, but I couldn't wrap my head around this blunt approach of bad behavior zanyness getting awards. It was a strange trip of a film (this was done by the same as the Lobster/Killing of a Sacred Deer and it showed) that I enjoyed though, don't get me wrong. It was just done in an approach that I didn't find as engaging that I would most heavily nominated films. Certainly wasnt one I would think would play better upon future viewings.

The naughty and explicit tones to this caught me off guard a bit and maybe that's what maybe took it a step or two down. Just having explicit sexual representation in scenes just for the sake of shock value in a way is how I took it. In some cases it fit the point of the scene, other times it didn't. Sometimes there was context to it all, other times not at all to me. But again, that's a clear staple of the filmmaker himself. Dogtooth, Sacred Deer, and Lobster all had these same strange sexual themes going on throughout the films.

That said, I get the point they were trying to make with the women involved and it could be a parallel to the manipulative nature of people in power (and those trying to get in power and favor with those in power) in the current day's social and economical system. For that reason, I guess I can see the nomination love to a degree.