Author Topic: All Elite Wrestling  (Read 7254 times)

Description:

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
All Elite Wrestling
« on: January 01, 2019, 02:31:03 AM »
Cody was hyping up an announcement during the launch of the latest Being the Elite at midnight pacific last night.  Bucks and Cody revealed the second All In - called Double or Nothing, before Hangman revealed All Elite Wrestling is real.

Only these four were involved in the announcement so speculation on other news sites and boards where that leaves Kenny and Marty, with speculation ramping up Marty may finally be WWE bound when his ROH deal winds down.

Figured this should get its own thread while news of roster signings and contract deals come in, as apparently Meltzer was doing a special report on this last night and stated due to All In, there are supposedly many interested TV execs.

If one thing is for certain, at least Dama (RIP) had a Happy New Year...
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
Re: All Elite Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 02:41:14 AM »
RIP ROH, especially if New Japan decides to work with this new company as well.  I'd say RIP Impact, but when the bombs fall it'll be just Keith Richards in a cockroach infested room watching Impact.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 03:24:57 AM »
Very happy for this news. It'll be awhile before it can realistically compete with WWE (if it even gets that far) but at the very least, we're getting another All In event which is good.

It's weird that Marty is staying with ROH, I would have assumed all of the Elite would be involved in this in one way or another.

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 03:36:49 AM »
Marty is signed with ROH until April
Matt, don't be a fag. Post some huge cocks.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 03:38:19 AM »
Marty is staying with ROH because he is still under contract.  The other guys either had no deal or their deals came up.  That's the mystery with Kenny - his deal is up later this month.  He is tight with this group but the guy has made a life in Japan.

Marty is the wild card because it has been said he is more driven to be in WWE than the others.  Cody has been there, Bucks seem to be fine never going and Page knows he owes everything to the group and is probably best protected there.  I think Marty to WWE was expected before his girlfriend signed there bur I am not quite sure when his contract ends.  I could see ROH throwing him as much money as they can and making him the face of their promotion with this surfacing too.
[img width=800

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 03:46:40 AM »
Marty’s also more than an inch shorter than Finn who already looks like a child in the ring half the time. He might have the character aspect down but he’d be NXT and 205 Live for a long time.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 03:53:07 AM »
Sounds like we got a size queen

On the AEW front, there are supposedly a few names under contract, one would presume it would mostly be folks that were involved in ALL IN.  Most seem pretty certain SCU will be involved.  I am curious about how someone like PAC figures in, if he'd be interested or not.
[img width=800

Offline ViciousFish

• CXF Writer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 03:55:19 AM »
Less a size queen than a realistic look at the history of WWE and its’ pushing of talent.

Sure Marty has a great character and is a tremendous fit that way for WWE. But he’s also 5’9”.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 03:58:00 AM »
Yeah, I know.  I'd like to think that narrative is starting to shift with a lot of the signings but historically, you are right.  I was surprised when I went to War Games this year how much taller I was than a lot of the talent, since the last few times I had seats that close I was getting passed by the Khali and Sheamus types.

Also, guess this was out in the middle of the night but I just saw it now:

[img width=800

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 05:54:18 AM »
Very hyped about all of this.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 06:08:01 AM »
I'm stoked for this. I'm a fan of everyone involved, and if SCU is there, the more eyes on Scorpio Sky, the better. I've been a fan of his for years, and I'm so happy to see him getting his big break.

Meltzer mentioned on WOR this morning that Cody is already signed long term, and Page and the Bucks will be in the next few days. He basically said everyone fans think are involved, are involved. He still wasn't sure about Omega, though because he's been very tight lipped with everyone. I think Omega wouldn't make a big move like this without being able to still work NJPW and without Ibushi coming along.

It should be interesting for companies like PWG, AAW, and even Impact. Will they work with AAW and PWG? Will they sign up talent like Ethan Page, Cage, Mundo, etc, thus making it harder for Impact to get bigger names?

Regarding TV, Dave said that because of All In, it showed TV executives that they can draw an audience and they have multiple deals to choose from, which is also a big blow to Impact. ROH has been signing guys already, and still have the deal with NJPW, will AEW get a deal with them, too? I think we'll get tons of info on January 8th.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 07:08:41 AM »
Very happy for this news. It'll be awhile before it can realistically compete with WWE (if it even gets that far) but at the very least, we're getting another All In event which is good.

They aren't going to compete with WWE. That's not a realistic expectation for them whether it's now or if they last 5 years. WWE is facing a lot of challenges but it's also got a ton of advantages to anyone coming in. TNA had a ton of major names and a network behind them and couldn't make a real dent. ROH had all the talent in the world and couldn't. I'm not trying to be a downer, even though it seems like it but we should be realistic.

AWE can be a successful company and almost certainly will be rapidly the second biggest company in the US if 3 things happen:
-They get TV
-Omega signs with them
-NJPW switches to them over ROH

NJPW choosing them over ROH is very important. In the short term they can draw just on the Elite (especially if Omega signs) and whatever talent they get. NJPW working with both them and ROH would extend that, but if you can see NJPW talent at ROH/AWE/etc then people have a lot more options where to spend their money.

I hope the company is a success even though I wasn't a big fan of the first All In, and don't really care for The Elite in general. Wrestling needs more interesting things going on.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 07:33:18 AM »
I don't think NJPW is going to switch to AEW, at least not for a while. They still have the MSG show, and if they pulled out to back a new company before then, there would be some big reprocussions. We can speculate all we want, but we'll get some answers on the 8th. All I know is that as a wrestling fan, this should excite everyone, whether you're a fan of them or not (not anyone here, just generally speaking).

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Drimble Wedge and the Vegetation
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 09:32:20 AM »
I'm reserving judgment until more starts coming out, but even as someone who didn't care for All In, I want this to succeed. There should at least be a solid number two.

I'd be way more hyped if Cody didn't bore me so much, though.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »
So they're having that announcement at the stadium here in Jacksonville on the 8th, directly across the street from the Arena where WWE is doing smackdown the same night. Very clever of them. It works perfectly for them to have that at 5pm, then people can walk across the street for the live WWE show. So they'll be tons of fans there, and hey, their buddy owns the stadium so not like it is a major expense. My dreams of Jacksonville becoming a hub for a wrestling company is finally coming true!

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 05:03:47 AM »
Few things that come to mind to me about all of this moving forward....

*How many uncontracted workers will be signed to full time contracts, thus eliminating some workers ability to jump from one promotion to the next. One guy I think of with this is John Hennigan and those similar types that are working in Impact/MLW/etc. Also, what about Pentagon and Fenix? Or would they just sign them to per so many dates a year and still allow them to work other promotions?

*The location and running in front of a Smackdown event is certainly interesting and not just coincidence, but the timing really is perfect. I assume many more names will come into the forefront after the big NJPW show this weekend, or in the least something will be apparent...thinking more along the lines of Omega and Jericho particularly

*In that same breath, making a big announcement the same night as a Smackdown across the street is certainly curious. The rumors is that they are working to secure Tuesday nights as the timeslot for a projected weekly TV show, as they are looking ahead to the fall when SD moves to Friday. Question will be....will they start before the fall in that aspect or wait til SD leaves and then start the weekly TV in the fall? Running head to head even for a slight bit might not be the best idea, BUT then again the ratings are dipping lower and lower for WWE.

*Super early thought on this but how cool would it be for them to house a Mania like show at the Jacksonville stadium if they take off and it would make sense to? That would be a nice irony that the first place they had a press conference would be the same place they peak with a huge event for the masses years later.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Drimble Wedge and the Vegetation
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 05:08:07 AM »
Cody should show up to their thing across from Smackdown in a tank.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 07:26:00 AM »
Polka dotted tank
[img width=800

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »
Jacksonville is a weird market for wrestling. In the early 90s Meltzer reported that Jax was WCW's #1 market, even over Atlanta or the Carolinas. In the late 90s, they'd run 2-4 Nitros a year here and the crowds would be sold out and hot, even before the nwo and the boom that followed. But the WWF never came here at all, like we were the reverse of NYC. After WCW ended, WWE did good business here even doing a PPV in the mid 00s. But now they never can sell it out (not unlike a lot of markets nowadays) even though it's a modest sized arena (9,000ish). Having said that, Jacksonville would be a good hub for a large outdoor show. It's right in the middle between Miami and Atlanta, and a short drive from Orlando, Tampa and even New Orleans.

I've already accepted that this free event at the stadium will be far more fun and entertaining than the Smackdown I've paid $100 to go to. Or the $75 I paid to go to Raw in August.

I keep wondering how much of the WWE talent will be tempted to meet with some of the Elite guys earlier in the day. If you're an Aiden English or Tye Dillinger type, it couldn't hurt to network early but I'm sure the Smackdown talent are already being warned against doing so. I do know that Tony Khan has attended many WWE shows and if you watch enough UUDD you've probably seen a few guys wearing Jags merch, so I'm sure a lot of the guys know him as well as a lot of the workers over there of course.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 01:15:55 PM »
Word is Britt Baker is one of their first signings.
[img width=800

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 03:05:55 PM »
Khan is reportedly fronting 100 million to get the promotion up and running.

Also, I've read a bunch of stuff about TNT/TBS being interested.  If these come true this is the biggest story in wrestling since WCW folded in 2001. 

The entire industry might have just been flipped on it's ass.  I don't buy WWE as being this giant that can't be touched.  If AEW gets on Turner, and has a 9 figure investment I think they compete with the senile old man within 2 years.  I know which group I'll be supporting.

https://dailyddt.com/2019/01/02/report-all-elite-wrestling-in-negotiations-with-time-warner/

Randy!

Offline Rotten Apple from the Big Apple

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
  • New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 05:18:59 PM »
Goldberg has apparently just started following AEW on Twitter.

Agree with the above post. If they get on Turner with that kind of money, they should be able to draw close to what Smackdown does.

And as soon as those ratings get into that territory, they’re gonna be perceived as an equal to WWE— even though they won’t be from a revenue standpoint obviously.

And it’ll snowball from there.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 12:47:40 AM »
This is great both because with that kind of money and competent booking the product will be pretty outstanding. Also if they can really gain a footing WWE will get much better. Win/win.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 12:51:22 AM »
As stated before, the whole concept is great for the business. Companies are going to have to lock down more talent with big money deals and more dudes have a chance at mainstream exposure. If I was any indy on the planet already with a TV deal, I would be signing dudes left and right. Impact should try to hold on to Brian Cage, LAX, Tessa Blanchard, Taya Vaklerie and Johnny Impact. I would say the Lucha Bros. too but I'm not sure what their contract situation is since they still work Mexico a ton and MLW as well. You gotta believe those are two people AEW will want to snatch up.

MLW was smart for locking down Hart Foundation 2.0

Everybody gettin' paid!

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 04:13:16 AM »
https://old.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/ac5x7n/tony_khan_aew_owners_2004_taboo_tuesday_feedback/

This guy isn't just some random money mark. In addition to being mega rich he actually knows what he's talking about.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 11:14:47 AM »
I knew he was a big fan. He's also an incredibly nice guy who has technically bought me drinks on more than one occasion (he bought drinks for practically the whole bar). A lot of my friends have Tony Khan stories and none of them are negative.

He's not just a money mark. He is a businessman and passionate about the things he loves. He took a hands-on role with Fulham when his dad bought that and now they're back in the Premier League. Of all the things people are saying and will say about AEW, having an apathetic or bumbling owner cannot be one of them.

Offline Rotten Apple from the Big Apple

• New Poster Who Should Be Posting
  • New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 03:17:19 PM »
Cool to know. He seems like a good guy with a solid head on his shoulders.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
Meltzer is speculating Double or Nothing may be in Vegas.  I will likely try to go if that happens.
[img width=800

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 08:58:37 PM »
Meltzer is speculating Double or Nothing may be in Vegas.  I will likely try to go if that happens.

The logo for the event all but confirmed that. There were rumors of zvegas or NY before, but the name and having the chips on the logo reveal on Being the Elite pretty much announced it as Vegas.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 01:37:46 AM »
Definitely going to DoN, no matter where it is. Vegas would be cool, though, as I've never been there.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2019, 02:31:09 AM »
Meltzer is  saying that Omega got a "fantastic" offer from WWE and that NJPW/ROH/AEW are going to be meeting to discuss working together and while they want to politics might get in the way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/accml8/wor_roh_njpw_and_aew_are_meeting_after_wk_update/

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2019, 03:24:13 AM »
Wait, isn't Kenny still under contract until Jan 31? Are WWE even legally allowed to make an offer w/o tampering?

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2019, 04:08:25 AM »
IIRC, official discussions can happen within x days of a contract's end, and I think NJPW (and other puro companies) operate their contract systems differently than the west.

I found a stream of All In and started checking it out. From a production quality alone it's amazing, the exact right amount of polish and grit. If AEW manages to keep that same tier then first time viewers who may not be followers of BC/NJPW/ROH already won't be immediately turned off. I'm not as super interested in the promotion as others are (I think the Elite are some of the most overrated talents of the last 20 years), but holy shit am I interested in another easily accessible product. If the shows are as entertaining as the few BTE episodes I've checked out then it'll be a hit, but I'm hoping the company isn't all the WINKWINK kinda stuff that the BTE eps are.
Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2019, 09:17:02 AM »
https://www.gerweck.net/2019/01/04/aew-offering-contracts-comparable-to-wwe/

No idea who the reliable source is on this, but it's not unbelievable considering Tony Khan's net worth more than doubles Vince McMahon's. (6.4b vs 2.9b)

Online pujoljunkie

• Old Navy / Diet Snapple Publishing Group
  • CXF Writer
  • PujolJunkie
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 09:44:13 AM »
I’m pretty out of the loop, but if I were WWE I would offer Khan money to run their shows on the WWE Network

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2019, 10:31:20 AM »
I have been wondering if AEW should make sure the wrestlers are employees rather than independent contractors and provide medical coverage and all that the WWE wrestlers do not receive. Could lure lots of talent. Could bankrupt them.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »
I’m pretty out of the loop, but if I were WWE I would offer Khan money to run their shows on the WWE Network

That would be a smart, collaborative and non-predatory way to do business but we all know how people like Vince McMahon operate.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »
I have been wondering if AEW should make sure the wrestlers are employees rather than independent contractors and provide medical coverage and all that the WWE wrestlers do not receive. Could lure lots of talent. Could bankrupt them.

A few months back Cody brought up the idea of a company offering health insurance. Don't know if they'll do it, but it'd be incredibly smart to do so.

Also, regarding the contracts, one thing they can offer than WWE can't is that wrestlers can make a lot of money on merch. The Elite already work with Pro Wrestling Tees, so their wrestlers would be allowed to do so as well. Instead of whatever percentage WWE makes, almost all the money would go to the wrestler, and then to PWT.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 11:29:19 AM »
Also, you gotta believe that Hot Topic is gonna be heavily involved with the merch as well.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 11:52:31 AM »
They could unquestionably bankrupt WWE over time if the Khans decided that they really want to do that.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 12:31:55 PM »
Also, you gotta believe that Hot Topic is gonna be heavily involved with the merch as well.

I'm in a Facebook group for PWT fans run by the owner, and he mentioned to us that Hot Topic hasn't put in any new orders recently. They usually do big ones every quarter or so, and they haven't put one in for this first quarter yet. He's unsure if they will be working with them, but it'd be stupid for Hot Topic not to. Their shirts are huge money markers for HT.

Offline CookieMueller

• CXF Writer
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 02:34:36 PM »
Just an idea but how great would it be for Cody to bring his brother in (when available, I have no clue what his deal with WWE looks like.) I know he's been battling injuries but before that he could still go so maybe, years late, we could finally have that Rhodes brothers feud that leads to his retirement before getting a backstage role in AEW.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 04:53:13 PM »
As stated before, the whole concept is great for the business. Companies are going to have to lock down more talent with big money deals and more dudes have a chance at mainstream exposure. If I was any indy on the planet already with a TV deal, I would be signing dudes left and right. Impact should try to hold on to Brian Cage, LAX, Tessa Blanchard, Taya Vaklerie and Johnny Impact. I would say the Lucha Bros. too but I'm not sure what their contract situation is since they still work Mexico a ton and MLW as well. You gotta believe those are two people AEW will want to snatch up.

https://www.wrestlingnewsworld.com/wnw-premium/exclusive-while-all-elite-is-securing-talent-bidding-war-begins-for-pentagon-and-fenix

Ah shit...

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2019, 01:24:47 AM »

A few months back Cody brought up the idea of a company offering health insurance. Don't know if they'll do it, but it'd be incredibly smart to do so.

I feel like the major difficulty in becoming the first promotion to offer health insurance is that they might run the risk of inadvertently becoming responsible for the livelihoods of any wrestler who signs with them, for the duration of their careers... By that, I mean, I can totally imagine anybody who signs with the first promotion to offer benefits being blackballed by every other promotion. Which would then mean that the only place where they could go to make a living was... All Elite.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2019, 05:17:32 AM »
Meltzer:

"New Japan has made the decision that they're going to work with Ring of Honor. All Elite wanted to keep their talent working in New Japan and wanted to partner with New Japan on events and that's not gonna happen. And that may have cost them Kenny Omega."
--

He's also said on twitter that things are changing every minute though.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2019, 10:00:34 AM »

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »
lol Pimp Daddy

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2019, 05:05:44 PM »
Meltzer:

"New Japan has made the decision that they're going to work with Ring of Honor. All Elite wanted to keep their talent working in New Japan and wanted to partner with New Japan on events and that's not gonna happen. And that may have cost them Kenny Omega."
--

He's also said on twitter that things are changing every minute though.

This seems like a mistake on all fronts to me.  Instead of battling over a fairly small, hardcore fanbase they should pool their resources and maybe not directly compete with WWE, but undoubtedly be the strong #2 and the true WWE alternative so many promotions have tried to be since 2001.  If New Japan wants to keep making inroads into the US, this is the easiest way to do it.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2019, 01:51:34 AM »

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2019, 02:14:49 AM »
I must say that these guys seem to be at least talking the talk when talking about wrestling. Here's hoping they keep up what they are preaching long term though.