Author Topic: All Elite Wrestling  (Read 11033 times)

Description:

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
Re: All Elite Wrestling
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2019, 02:16:34 PM »
Healthcare being ironed out and it looks like they're pushing their signees as full time employees, not independent contractors: https://www.gerweck.net/2019/01/08/aew-plans-to-pay-talent-competitively-offer-healthcare/
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2019, 03:18:36 PM »
I'm waiting until they start running shows to reserve some judgments, because I don't want to think about it being an alternative until then, but I'm really excited. I'm just thrilled that they're setting new standards for contracts based on all accounts.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2019, 06:25:47 PM »
I went to the rally. Was awesome, they were handing out free rally towels with the AEW logo as you entered (Khan put the Jaguars cheerleaders to work handing it out) and the merch stand was cheaper than what the WWE charges. I picked up that Matt and Nick Jacksonville shirt just because it was fairly priced and looks cool. The crowd was way into it and there was still tons of people in line for autographs even as Smackdown was starting. They weren't rushing people through the meet & greet line either, they were taking time to chat, take pix and sign the (free) giant AEW posters they were handing out.

As for the WWE turning people away, I saw it with my own eyes. It wasn't an aggressive thing, just people being told to change or leave. Personally, I wore a Young Bucks shirt to the rally and changed into a wwe shirt for the show. I could forsee the WWE being butthurt about it and everyone else should have as well. Going forward it may not be a big deal but this was RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET so it was a sore subject. And Jericho was moved to the alumni section DURING the rally which also is a hint that they are rather annoyed currently.

And finally, I absolutely loved all their subtle "we're the liberal wrestling organization" dog whistles such as "equal pay for women" and "donating proceeds to victims of gun violence." Such a great time to be alive, when those two things are partisan issues but here we are.

Online Tino Standard

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2019, 01:50:53 AM »
I’m sure most people who watched Wrestle Kingdom picked this up already, but a nice touch by Cody and Brandi Rhodes wearing Jaguars-inspired gear.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2019, 03:04:55 AM »
I'm glad they decided to go bigger and to try and double the attendance from All In (MGM has close to 20k capacity) with having the event at the MGM Grand. It holds tradition in the wrestling world anyway with WCW doing Havoc there many years as well as UFC so it was an excellent choice over the aforementioned Orleans Arena that my buddy claimed was a deal (which obviously wasnt). Having it again on a Saturday too is an excellent idea.

I will 110 percent be going for sure since a good friend of mine lives in Vegas so its a no brainer. I am really excited for Starrcast 2 as well since I purchased the first through FITE and it was an incredible convention/panels from what I saw and heard from the presentation. It will only be bigger and better this time around I am sure.

As the event gets closer, we should plan as a group to do a buffet get-together with everyone from this board that is going. Would dig to finally meet some of ya filthy animals!!

Another aspect that I'm sure will go down here is that in the very least, one other promotion will be likely pooling events around this weekend too. FSW will have to be involved with probably a Sunday night show at Sams Town I'm guessing. I dont know the status of Ring Warriors as well but this would be a good time to do a taping as well around this week of events. I think Corgan and the NWA should consider something too for another pop-up show around this time.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2019, 03:13:58 AM »
I'm glad they decided to go bigger and to try and double the attendance from All In (MGM has close to 20k capacity) with having the event at the MGM Grand. It holds tradition in the wrestling world anyway with WCW doing Havoc there many years as well as UFC so it was an excellent choice over the aforementioned Orleans Arena that my buddy claimed was a deal (which obviously wasnt). Having it again on a Saturday too is an excellent idea.

I will 110 percent be going for sure since a good friend of mine lives in Vegas so its a no brainer. I am really excited for Starrcast 2 as well since I purchased the first through FITE and it was an incredible convention/panels from what I saw and heard from the presentation. It will only be bigger and better this time around I am sure.

As the event gets closer, we should plan as a group to do a buffet get-together with everyone from this board that is going. Would dig to finally meet some of ya filthy animals!!

Another aspect that I'm sure will go down here is that in the very least, one other promotion will be likely pooling events around this weekend too. FSW will have to be involved with probably a Sunday night show at Sams Town I'm guessing. I dont know the status of Ring Warriors as well but this would be a good time to do a taping as well around this week of events. I think Corgan and the NWA should consider something too for another pop-up show around this time.

Joe, the owner of FSW, has already said he will be running that weekend.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2019, 03:52:41 AM »
Two of my friends texted me at different times today asking if I wanted to go to Vegas Memorial Day weekend. Looks like I'm DOUBLE OR NOTHING!

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2019, 03:55:43 AM »
Memorial Day Weekend is a weekend too late, bro

On the speed of the Jericho stuff, Jericho talked in the past about calling Vince before doing anything.  I would assume Jericho did this still as to not burn bridges.  I mean, Vince doesn’t want to advertise the guys but there was word in the past that he would’ve given advice for putting on ALL IN, had he been asked.

Guess I’m just numb from a childhood of not showing people currently working fornthe other guy.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2019, 04:05:16 AM »

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2019, 04:07:46 AM »
Can't believe they even had to clarify this.

Offline Mr. S£im Citrus

• Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2019, 05:13:39 AM »
Can't believe they even had to clarify this.

The comments seem to suggest that there remains no shortage of people whom were in need of clarification.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2019, 05:16:43 AM »

The show is May 25th, the Saturday before Memorial Day (unless they changed it).

Offline JHawk

• Jim Cornette Guy
  • CXF Writer
  • Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
    • Smart Mark Radio
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2019, 06:03:42 AM »
Considering this although I'd have to fly home Sunday morning because Memorial Day is a blackout day at work.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2019, 06:28:20 AM »

The show is May 25th, the Saturday before Memorial Day (unless they changed it).

My bad.  I was thinking it was the weekend before Memorial Day weekend.

Also

[img width=800

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2019, 11:37:02 AM »
Seeing as they are making a big deal about wrestlers being covered if they are injured in an AEW ring and women getting equal pay with men on the same spot of the card, I'm going to guess that WWE does not do those things.  Is that correct?  Just making sure.

Offline Teenage Mutant King Kamala

• CXF Writer
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2019, 12:13:49 PM »
I'm curious as to how much AEW will let the likes of Janela work indy dates. Janela tweeted he wasn't going to leave his buddies in the indies hanging.

Homer is IWC dreaming of possible AEW main events.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2019, 12:15:47 PM »
Injuries have always been covered by WWE as far as I know. They pay for surgeries and rehabilitation from injuries. As most know, they have been paying for drug and alcohol rehab for former wrestlers for quite some time. That may be for good publicity and to try and prevent lawsuits, but they don’t have to do that.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2019, 12:10:40 AM »
I think the insurance also means if you are hurt and need time off we've got you covered. I loved the jab about wins and losses meaning something. I'm also betting less dates worked in comparison to WWE.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2019, 02:29:42 AM »
They specifically mentioned many less dates.

And with regard to WWE and covering injuries, I later read Cody’s interview that lead to the question. He specifically stated that WWE always took care of the injuries through their co-insurance Palm plan.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2019, 07:24:33 AM »

Offline Rotten Apple from the Big Apple

• New Poster Who'll Post A Lot
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2019, 10:24:17 AM »

I have a feeling they’ll end up doing a deal with Turner.

Which will give them more buzz than anything. The history, the story of wrestling back on the Turner networks.

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2019, 12:16:04 AM »
Reading the Observer notes on AEW this week I'm blown away by two things:

First, the WWE making an unprecedented offer to the Young Bucks, including a clause that they could leave after 6 months if they weren't happy (and money comparable to AJ apparently), so I'm surprised WWE saw their value that high.

But mostly I was blown away by how sure they were that they would accept it. Meltz said he was directly told they'd be debuting at the Rumble... that's so arrogant on WWEs part.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2019, 01:33:29 AM »
While it does, that version of the story seems shorter on details which makes it seem more arrogant from what/how I read - which to be fair was from someone’s recap on another site and not straightnfrom the source.

The huge moment, six-month clause was extended to The Bucks AND Cody.  They were also offered freedom to make a Being The Elite show for the Network and given a layout of what they were expected to be booked from a Rumble debut through Mania.  As for Hangman, he was offered big main roster money to start as a top guy in NXT.

Part of the reason there was a lot of confidence in WWE was along with this being an offer that was better than anyone has seen in recent memory, the group took a meeting that lasted twelve hours.  I’d say many would be confident after a meeting that long as it would have had to been taken fairly serious to last that long.

Also makes one wonder what kind of deal was offered to Omega if any of these details are legit.
[img width=800

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2019, 02:33:11 AM »
What exactly is arrogant is about offering a group of people main event money for a major promotion along with added bonuses they don’t extend to other free agent talent.    It’s not like they offered them bargain prices here.   Is WWE supposed to just not offer them something?

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2019, 02:38:43 AM »
People are saying it was arrogant for WWE to be confident they would accept the offer and was fully planning for their Rumble debut.
[img width=800

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2019, 02:41:10 AM »
It's arrogant because Dave insinuated they were absolutely shocked they didn't take it. AEW was like 95% formed at that point. Expecting guys to just walk away from a company they are building just because HHH calls is arrogant as hell.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2019, 03:24:20 AM »
Not in my opinion. Let’s say you are starting your own business because you have become well-known in your field. You have a financial backer. You have all these plans and visions of this company, but it has yet to be formed officially and much of the ins and outs necessary for the business to turn profit has not even been set up. No distribution and such. But because you are well-known and there is a lot of talk that you are starting your own business, *the* main player in your industry reaches out to you and makes you an extremely attractive offer. This outfit is global. Their offer to you is very high dollar compared to the usual offers; it includes clauses that are never given to anyone; and they want to lay out their plans for you in the company.

You have two choices:  go out on your own (with a financial backer, so it is not like you will be raking in the ownership profits) and start a brand new company that will take months and months to get started and have deals in place that will allow for success; or go to work for the global entity that will pay you lots of money guaranteed right now and raise your profile even further?

It would definitely need to be considered by you, and it should not be arrogant by the global entity to think you might accept.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2019, 03:34:02 AM »
I mean I get it, but these guys are clearly of another cloth than the usual "gotta make the big bucks in WWE" types. They have a vision and a passion to be in control of their own destiny, not to sound corny, so I think that he idea of taking their own company from the ground up, no matter how long it would take, would definitely appeal to them regardless.

Also folks acting like it's out of the realm of possibility that WWE would be arrogant about having signed someone to a done deal before they've actually signed.. I mean, come on. Are y'all new? The story isn't that they thought the Bucks/Cody might accept, the story was that they would definitely accept and the WWE were planning for it as if it were a done deal. Pretty arrogant, if true.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2019, 03:35:07 AM »
Any idea on what the dates were like in the contracts? A big part of the Bucks not signing for years is that they get to spend time with their families all week. With a standard WWE deal, they'd have to work 6 days a week and wouldn't be offered enough time off to heal between shows.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2019, 04:12:53 AM »
http://nodq.com/news/549230975.shtml

Dave Meltzer of F4WOnline.com provided some details regarding the launch of All Elite Wrestling and here are some highlights:

- The promotion is negotiating with two major cable networks for a live weekly two-hour show in prime time. Even though the promotion trademarked the term Tuesday Night Dynamite, a Tuesday timeslot seems unlikely at this time.

- The Double or Nothing PPV is expected to air on PPV and will be available for streaming.

- The 2nd show, which will take place in Jacksonville, is expected to happen in July. There is also a 3rd show expected to take place in Chicago in September which would be the promotion's anniversary.

- Ryan Barkan, president of Pro Wrestling Tees, will be involved with the promotion's merchandise production.

- Chris Harrington, who analyzes wrestling finances and business, has been hired as the head of business development.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2019, 05:18:21 AM »
Omega has reportedly turned down wwe.  I get the feeling this promotion is gonna compete with wwe a lot faster than most think.
Randy!

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2019, 05:58:07 AM »

Dave Meltzer of F4WOnline.com provided some details regarding the launch of All Elite Wrestling and here are some highlights:

- The promotion is negotiating with two major cable networks for a live weekly two-hour show in prime time. Even though the promotion trademarked the term Tuesday Night Dynamite, a Tuesday timeslot seems unlikely at this time.

- The Double or Nothing PPV is expected to air on PPV and will be available for streaming.

- The 2nd show, which will take place in Jacksonville, is expected to happen in July. There is also a 3rd show expected to take place in Chicago in September which would be the promotion's anniversary.

- Ryan Barkan, president of Pro Wrestling Tees, will be involved with the promotion's merchandise production.

- Chris Harrington, who analyzes wrestling finances and business, has been hired as the head of business development.

Regarding PWT, Ryan is about to make so much money on this. During their Wrestle Kingdom sale alone, he had 9,000 orders. Anything associated with the Bucks, Omega, and Cody is a huge seller. Good for him. He's a good dude, too.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2019, 06:33:18 AM »
I mean I get it, but these guys are clearly of another cloth than the usual "gotta make the big bucks in WWE" types. They have a vision and a passion to be in control of their own destiny, not to sound corny, so I think that he idea of taking their own company from the ground up, no matter how long it would take, would definitely appeal to them regardless.

Also folks acting like it's out of the realm of possibility that WWE would be arrogant about having signed someone to a done deal before they've actually signed.. I mean, come on. Are y'all new? The story isn't that they thought the Bucks/Cody might accept, the story was that they would definitely accept and the WWE were planning for it as if it were a done deal. Pretty arrogant, if true.

Yes, they like to be in control of their own destiny and to be creative on their own terms. But major reasons people sign with wWE is the status of making it in what is perceived as the main company of all time; and the relative security. WWE is not going to fold and is a definite. Starting a new company is not a guarantee.  That being said, I do think their company is going to be a massive hit and it has me very excited.

As for me saying that WWE thought they might sign rather than expected them to sign, I have not seen any wording that said WWE took it for granted that they would sign. All I saw was that they were making plans for The Bucks to debut at the Rumble. I imagine part of that was due to the layout of the several month plan for them. WWE makes Rumble and Mania plans months before the event with little angles or backstage run ins between talent all the time. They also change those plans on a whim and with short notice. But I have no doubt that a several month plan that specifically started with their debut in the Rumble would also have details about that debut. So they planned for it. That was specifically part of the package they were using to try and sign them. That is how I read it anyway.

As for their perceived arrogance, I think WWE would have a valid reason to be confident they would sign, but not necessarily expecting them to be guaranteed to sign. As was mentioned, a twelve hour meeting is very promising, and the clauses and dollars they were throwing out were unprecedented. Nothing unreasonable about that. If they were not confident it would have gotten the job done, I would figure they would have offered them more (not necessarily money but merchandising or other increased perks). WWE offered what they thought would get them signed.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2019, 06:36:56 AM »

If they stick with the every other month PPV/major event model, I think that would be refreshing and a tremendous move. It allows for better builds of feuds and will not be as hard on fans’ wallets (assuming they are not going to have an annual streaming package that includes live PPV/major events out of the gate).

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
Dash Wilder filed a trademark for #FTR
[img width=800

Offline Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2019, 11:39:14 AM »

Triple H believes that some performers have reached their plateau of success rotating through the NXT developmental territories, and hopes to give those individuals successful, meaningful careers without them ever having to transition to the cable network programs.

"I think there will be some talent that will be incredibly successful, will be global names, will be global, household names," Triple H said, "that will probably never leave that NXT system because that's their home base and that's where they fit, and they'll have incredibly successful, meaningful careers. And probably over those careers they'll gravitate through different locations within the globe, maybe without never being on RAW or SmackDown, but that not being any lesser to their careers."

Hmmmm....

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2019, 11:56:01 AM »
Ryan at PWT announced today that their plan for AEW shirts is to never have more than one AEW shirt for a wrestler at a time. So the one for Brandi, The Bucks, and Cody that are up now, once they have a new one the previous one comes down. The current Cody shirt up will be taken down on Monday and a new one goes up. This is brilliant as any time a new shirt from any of those wrestlers came out, they sold incredibly well. PWT is the iPhone for wrestling fans.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2019, 12:12:36 PM »

Triple H believes that some performers have reached their plateau of success rotating through the NXT developmental territories, and hopes to give those individuals successful, meaningful careers without them ever having to transition to the cable network programs.

"I think there will be some talent that will be incredibly successful, will be global names, will be global, household names," Triple H said, "that will probably never leave that NXT system because that's their home base and that's where they fit, and they'll have incredibly successful, meaningful careers. And probably over those careers they'll gravitate through different locations within the globe, maybe without never being on RAW or SmackDown, but that not being any lesser to their careers."

Hmmmm....

Talk about delusional.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2019, 01:33:51 PM »
I didn’t think it sounded as bad when you read the first part. The question was will those called up from NXT UK go to NXT or Raw/Smackdown. He said it depends on the performer and talked about some performers being better fits in NXT than one of the main shows due to the different directions of the shows. He also said that when they have more regional NXT systems across the globe, performers could go back and forth between those like the old territory days.  More from the interview below (as posted on 411mania.com/wrestling):

On whether NXT UK call-ups will end up in NXT or the main roster: “I think it depends. You know, I think it depends on the talent. I think there are some talent here that you might see come from the UK that might move straight to RAW, to SmackDown. I think right now there’s this sorta kind of perceived system where it’s RAW, SmackDown, NXT, NXT UK whatever. I don’t believe that. I believe talent are talent and they’ll sit where they sit. I believe you’ll see talent over the next few years coming up to RAW and SmackDown and I think you’ll see them move over back to NXT or come back into the NXT UK system. I think talent will begin to evolve and rotate through territories, so to speak. As this expands out to the rest of the globe, as you see this happening in the Middle East, or India, or Japan, or South America, you will begin to see that system take place where talent can evolve. I think there will be some talent that will become incredibly successful, will be global names, will be global household names that will probably never leave sorta the NXT system because that’s your home base and that’s where they fit and they’ll have incredibly successful, meaningful careers and probably over those careers will gravitate through different locations around the globe, maybe without ever being on RAW or SmackDown, but that not being any lesser to their careers.”

On characters evolving in different brands: “Again, I think it depends on the talent and the moment and I think it’s no different than it was – if you go back 30-40 years ago into the territory system in the U.S., no different. You left one place; you went someplace else. Sometimes you reinvented because you thought, ‘You know, what I’m doing is good, but here I want to do something different; I want to make it something more,’ and you reinvent and you become something different. Others, it’s the continuation of the same. There are some talent I see, even in the system, talent like Elias that, to me, was the perfect fit on RAW or SmackDown from an entertainment standpoint. He was a little bit of a square peg in a round hole in NXT sometimes. He had all the skill set for the main roster and that grouping, but different than it was for NXT. There’s differences to the brands, differences in what people are looking for from those brands. You’re going to see those things transfer. RAW’s a three hour show. There’s a lot of different components to that. You need the incredible athleticism to put on the spectacle matches. You need the characters to be able to carry the entertainment components of the show that general fans like. You need a lot of different things, so some people are suited for one or the other. Some people will succeed in one or the other. Some people will move to one, do moderately well there and move to another and become the biggest thing you’ve ever seen. I think that’s gonna be the character and the movement and I don’t think that success or failure is just in that moment; I think it’s long term. When you look at the arc of somebody’s twenty year career, where they went and the success rates they had in all these places that they went to is really what it becomes. Some will become franchise players in those particular brands and that’s the places they’ll stay. Others will float around and become the person that kinda succeeds everywhere.”

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2019, 02:01:56 PM »
That's what I meant though, I read it. I see it as a lot of people who don't quite make it to WWE and are made to shuffle around like that would rather leave.

His idea would have a better chance of working if they did this ten years ago.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2019, 02:39:18 PM »
I took it differently, but I agree with your point if that is what he meant. I thought he was discussing how NXT UK was not going to be a rung below NXT, nor would future regional NXTs be below NXT. So if you had someone that was a great worker in the Japanese market, but wouldn’t get over on Raw due to the language barrier, perhaps they could go to NXT to work on that. Or a different NXT regional to learn a different style to become more rounded. And if you are ready for Raw/Smackdown, you don’t have to necessarily go to NXT from a different regional. But some wrestlers would never translate to the main shows but could make a very comfortable living going around the NXT circuits.

Like you pointed out, yeah they would probably want to leave and go elsewhere if they felt there was no higher to go with WWE. I guess I was thinking more along the guys that find their niche and become lifers because they are not good enough to not get lost in the shuffle in other organizations. The devil you know, if you will.

Offline Former Faithless Fool

• KOAB
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2019, 03:30:32 PM »
Sounds like a public works system for all the talent who are no better than average. The only problem is which guys will be alright with that after seeing such a shitty talent like James Ellsworth find himself involved in the WWE title picture even as a joke?

Online Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2019, 03:12:15 PM »
Heard a comment from Jerry Lawler about AEW which I thought was interesting but I am sure it will get shit on around here for Lawler saying it.  Lawler was very supportive and wants to see this succeed stating competition is good.  He did say it was an interesting risk on the part of a billionaire because of how much debt one could go on launching a company and with that in mind, they need to be careful to "not have more Chiefs than Indians" - just stating they need to be careful not getting in the same spot WCW did where too many workers get in positions of power to the point it harms the product.  While I think most of this group are less selfish/ego driven, I think it is a good point.

The other thing I've been curious about is what kind of roles/involvement comes from people like Conrad Thompson.  I heard he was annoying during the press conference, I've stated in the podcast thread I've gotten a bit burned out on him and Bruce lately.  I found it real interesting that Conrad was taking more digs at WWE than he used to leading up to the announcement.  One of the shows, I don't remember which, he probably got the smarkiest he ever had as far as talking about how painful it is to watch RAW.  Which, I know RAW has been really bad lately but I just wonder with the way he gets himself into everything and the fact that he got, the most openly critical he's been of the current WWE product recently, I really wonder if they are going to let someone like him on the booking committee or something similar.  At minimum with them talking what a sales man he is, maybe he will be their Don West.
[img width=800

Offline Avid TOXIE Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »
I mostly just hope they keep him away from the broadcasting booth. That nasally, easily winded voice is barely fine for podcasts and would make Cole at his worst sound bearable.

Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2019, 05:23:05 PM »
The less Conrad the better, ugh.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2019, 05:01:30 AM »
Lawlers point is pretty reasonable as far as letting the workers get too much power IMO. Even if they have less ego it can still lead to issues and hurt feelings.

The press conference was my first exposure to conrad aside from second hand stuff and newsbits and holy shit he's awful. If he was part of the actual show he'd be a reason not to watch. Let him be PR for them like Meltzer is.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2019, 05:07:40 AM »
It's a fair point to an extent but it comes off more as WCW creative control/Kevin Nash as booker fearmongering.

I think it feels a bit different when these three workers are actually the ones founding the company. They also all clearly have no issues putting other wrestlers over.

Offline Mayor of Flavortown

• brock lock
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2019, 05:46:17 AM »
Conrad I guess is good for creating annoying phrases to put on t-shirts. That what he usually uses his podcasts for. So, if he's just going to be a very very very poor man's Don West and shill shit without anyone having to look at or listen to him it would be okay.

Online KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2019, 05:59:46 AM »
Show me a wrestling locker room without politics and I'll show you a unicorn, especially if the place is run by guys that are also workers.  Although these guys have plenty of examples of what NOT to do when running a promotion and seem smart enough to learn from them.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2019, 02:35:39 PM »
Wasn't Conrad on the network with the Prichard show? Did they cancel that?

I think I dislike Conrad less than most and I still 100% don't want him anywhere near the on-screen side of AEW. He does have tight links to Ric Flair (marrying his OTHER daughter) so that could be interesting.