Author Topic: All Elite Wrestling  (Read 22727 times)

Description:

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
Re: All Elite Wrestling
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2019, 02:40:58 AM »
Dont expect an Omega signing announcement today, as he's obligated to New Japan until the end of the month. I suppose New Japan could have made an agreement to let him go early potentially over the weekend, but seems very unlikely. All signs do point to him signing with AEW on Feb 1 though, especially since WWE wasn't moving on creative control at all. I expect Omega to at least do one year with AEW. I think he still wants to get something figured with further dates with New Japan as well and this might be the only plausable option, all things considered. I expect New Japan to soften things with the ROH relationship after MSG and be more open to working with the AEW talent as the year progresses. Particularly, it will be nice to see some guys like Page and Omega back into the fold by the G-1 I hope. Time will tell.

As for what to expect today at the conference, I think its going to be the announcement officially of Double or Nothing details. I have a friend who works in the entertainment promotion industry in Vegas in a pretty significant position who has mentioned to a bunch of us that he claims the Orleans Arena in Vegas (same location as the ROH Vegas ppv in Sept) is confirmed for Double or Nothing on May 24. We will see if this is legit or not as the deal was made a few weeks ago privately according to him. The rumor before was that they wanted to try once again a holiday weekend to book it around, and this fits that idea with it being Memorial Day weekend.

Offline Dandy

• Top 128 Poster
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2019, 02:56:16 AM »
I’ll be flying into Vegas on Memorial Day. Hate that I will just miss this if true.
Oh Dandy...you came and you gave without taking!

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2019, 05:57:13 AM »
https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=123049

Ah man. That explains why he went to DG instead of another big company.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Online Epic for the Summer

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2019, 06:00:39 AM »
The rally is in two hours. I'm very hyped for what's to come. Even if you're not on board, you have to admit that the business is going to change for the better.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2019, 06:17:33 AM »
I'm beyond hyped for this. This feels like it's going to be a true alternative I can get into from the ground up. I really like the idea of, as a fan, watching a promotion grow from a single event to an idea and now a reality, like this. Here's hoping they can pull it off!
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2019, 06:45:17 AM »
According to Meltzer on WOR, the contracts The Bucks and Cody signed were 5 year deals. I didn't notice if he said Page signed a 5 year deal as well. That's really betting on yourself against the machine.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• Admin
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2019, 06:50:55 AM »
Unless Tony Khan dies this promotion is never going anywhere. It’s a smart bet.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:53 AM »
Wait, what?

• Admin
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2019, 07:30:04 AM »
Wait, what?

I'm not sure what your question is. These people are rich enough to have the promotion around as long as they want and clearly Tony Khan is a huge fan. I am pretty sure they're not going anywhere. They have the money to light a billion dollars on fire and it not matter to them, that's why they bought Fulham FC, which is the definition of lighting your money on fire.

Everyone who signs a contract with them is guaranteed money like with Time Warner and WCW. This is an easy choice it seems to me.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »
I think dub thought you meant "never going anywhere" as "never gets off the ground".

• Admin
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »
I think dub thought you meant "never going anywhere" as "never gets off the ground".

They're going to get so far off the ground that Vince is crying into his steak wrap. I don't think people are quite understanding the magnitude of this, it's past the point of a kid starting a promotion with dad's money. This guy's dad put him in charge of basically everything he's bought in the last few years. This kid gets to play Jerry Jones and sign players at Fulham like he's playing a video game. That kind of thing is a money pit and they don't even care.

If this goes south like when Fulham got relegated, they'll just spend more money. I'm pretty convinced this is going to be something around for a long time even if it's unsuccessful.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2019, 07:41:54 AM »
Speculation time: Who do they try to pry away from WWE? Will the Tye Dillingers and Tyler Breezes of the world walk once their contracts are up or do they send out feelers for bigger players?

Offline Mik

• Lightswitch Rave!
    • Neville Longbottom
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »
Zack Ryder. I'm sure they can afford bigger players but it's hard to predict who might be willing out of people that aren't being wasted.

I'm super thrilled that Pac will be a cornerstone of the promotion - Neville was always one of my favorites and criminally misused.
Show loose women what I'm workin' with.

• Admin
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2019, 07:44:12 AM »
Speculation time: Who do they try to pry away from WWE? Will the Tye Dillingers and Tyler Breezes of the world walk once their contracts are up or do they send out feelers for bigger players?

Whoever they think is good or underused is the only real answer. Someone that doesn't cause problems in a locker room. I think the purpose of the promotion is to raise the in-ring standard people come to expect from American wrestling, and as such I do expect them to use a lot of people from around the world that have never been in WWE.

When they offer health insurance it will massively change the dynamic of the wrestling business. Money is not a real factor here, last summer they signed a player for Fulham that was too good and paid too highly for a club with that revenue to be able to sign. Seems to not matter at all.

Offline Wrestlemania/Limp Bizkit WINNER

• Kreese
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
I could see a bunch of the 205 guys moving over when their contracts are up unless there's a major increase in pay. They don't even get video game royalties.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2019, 08:09:54 AM »
Wait, what?

I'm not sure what your question is. These people are rich enough to have the promotion around as long as they want and clearly Tony Khan is a huge fan. I am pretty sure they're not going anywhere. They have the money to light a billion dollars on fire and it not matter to them, that's why they bought Fulham FC, which is the definition of lighting your money on fire.

Everyone who signs a contract with them is guaranteed money like with Time Warner and WCW. This is an easy choice it seems to me.
I read it as it's "never going anywhere" (as in it will never succeed) as long as Tony Khan is alive, which came across as he's in the way or something. I see how you meant it now, though, so n/m, lol.

Also, Billy Gunn is their first producer/agent:

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2019, 08:16:38 AM »
Bryan Alvarez stated on his show today that there is one guy, he didn't want to name, that was offered a lot of money by the WWE, but decided to sign with AEW and will be there today. He also said that there is one un-named guest as the main event announcement.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2019, 08:21:42 AM »
May 25th at the MGM Grand was announced for Double or Nothing, and AEW will be working with OWE in China. I'm stoked for that as I know some of the wrestlers there as they work with Future Stars of Wrestling in Vegas.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »
OWE and CIMA? Hell yeah!

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
Brandi confirms women's division (equal pay with male wrestlers). Britt Baker signed.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2019, 08:34:54 AM »
MJF, Joey Janela & Penelope Ford look to be in.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2019, 08:35:46 AM »
MJF, Joey Janela & Penelope Ford look to be in.

I thought MJF was under contract with MLW. Either way, all 3 are great signings and AEW needed a heel, and MJF is a top level one.

Offline The King of Trash

• PosterFest 2014 Winner
  • Your POV
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »
Bryan Alvarez stated on his show today that there is one guy, he didn't want to name, that was offered a lot of money by the WWE, but decided to sign with AEW and will be there today.

was this revealed?

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2019, 08:36:47 AM »
I hope they get Marko Stunt in on this once he's healed up.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2019, 08:36:56 AM »
Bryan Alvarez stated on his show today that there is one guy, he didn't want to name, that was offered a lot of money by the WWE, but decided to sign with AEW and will be there today.

was this revealed?
Not so far.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2019, 08:40:13 AM »
lol @martyscurll: "WTF is AEW?"

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2019, 08:41:02 AM »
PAC!!! PAC just interrupted (complete with his DG belt) Page's claim to be the first AEW champ!

I wonder if this is less of PAC signing with AEW and more of AEW coming to a working agreement with DG?

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »
This rally is getting me so hyped up.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2019, 08:45:49 AM »
Second show in Jacksonville with partial proceeds to victims of gun violence. Fuck I love these guys.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
Second show in Jacksonville with partial proceeds to victims of gun violence. Fuck I love these guys.

Not just partial proceeds, but a large portion. That's awesome.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2019, 08:48:13 AM »
JERICHO!

• Admin
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »
I enjoyed Pac showing up like Orton in his trunks and boots.

Online Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »
Jericho stuff is pretty big. Aren’t he and Vince close?

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2019, 09:02:36 AM »
I don't think DG is going to have a working agreement with them if they have a working agreement with CIMA and his guys considering how that all fell out but we'll see.

The crowd micing really hurt this and made it feel less epic that it should have because this was a really big deal. Them announcing equal pay and the second show donating half the proceeds to charity were big things.

I'm not a fan of Janela as a worker from the couple of matches I've seen of him but he;s got charisma. He's a great promoter though so hopefully his contacts will be useful to the company. MJF came off as a super low rent ec3/miz copy to me. I'm not big on Jericho as a worker anymore but he's got a ton of star power and a lot of people like him so that's great for the company. CIMA/OWE are a big signing and I really enjoy a lot of them so that got my interest. PAC is a great pickup as well.

I hope Conrad isn't going to be heavily involved because he's annoyed the hell out of me when I've seen him in stuff. Aside from the poor crowd micing, this was a good start to the company. The most interesting thing that DIDN'T happen is of course that Omega's status is still up in the air.

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2019, 09:04:18 AM »
Jericho stuff is pretty big. Aren’t he and Vince close?

They are really close but both of them are business men. Besides Vince is old as fuck and Jericho is a pro wrestler. NO LOYALTY.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2019, 09:14:53 AM »
I don't think DG is going to have a working agreement with them if they have a working agreement with CIMA and his guys considering how that all fell out but we'll see.

The crowd micing really hurt this and made it feel less epic that it should have because this was a really big deal. Them announcing equal pay and the second show donating half the proceeds to charity were big things.

I'm not a fan of Janela as a worker from the couple of matches I've seen of him but he;s got charisma. He's a great promoter though so hopefully his contacts will be useful to the company. MJF came off as a super low rent ec3/miz copy to me. I'm not big on Jericho as a worker anymore but he's got a ton of star power and a lot of people like him so that's great for the company. CIMA/OWE are a big signing and I really enjoy a lot of them so that got my interest. PAC is a great pickup as well.

I hope Conrad isn't going to be heavily involved because he's annoyed the hell out of me when I've seen him in stuff. Aside from the poor crowd micing, this was a good start to the company. The most interesting thing that DIDN'T happen is of course that Omega's status is still up in the air.

While it was reported that he was leaving NJPW, he's still under contract until the end of the month and can't announce any other contract until then.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »
Yeah, the crowd micing was almost nonexistent, especially when comparing it to people filming it on their phones.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2019, 09:26:32 AM »

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2019, 09:30:58 AM »

It's also very telling (positive imo) that the Khan's let the boys run this show and didn't feel the need to make an appearance on the stage.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2019, 09:32:27 AM »
also lol

Invalid Tweet ID

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2019, 09:41:08 AM »
Using the pouty face picture is a good touch.    It suits his character to be pouty in the alumni section.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2019, 09:41:34 AM »
Don't know how true this is but...

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2019, 09:56:12 AM »
Really curious on how WWE reacts and tries to maintain a superior product. They're going to have to double down and rethink some things. They have a few months to figure it out. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a hard reset after Wrestlemania.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2019, 09:59:48 AM »
I honestly think it will be like WCW.  Even if talent leaves, they will do business as usual unless they somehow are behind on some key metric.  Only difference they’d have to answer to early is if there are complaints from shareholders or FOX.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Hawk 34

• Death Pool Winner
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2019, 10:00:51 AM »
Don't know how true this is but...

Not true
https://mobile.twitter.com/Innes_McVey/status/1082787252558876672

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
the crowd at SD tonight is going to be a handful if WWE isn't really careful and tactful and...hahahaha

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2019, 10:59:07 AM »
I'm tuning in just to hear the crowd get silenced for doing the "Be the Elote" chant. That's all I want right now.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2019, 11:42:05 AM »
I am already doing my best to make plans for Double or Nothing.  My buddy that I usually go to shows with was trying to bring his brother to Phoenix Takeover/Rumble and that slowed down our tickets because his brother is non-committal.  We are supposed to figure out our tickets for those shows hopefully in the next week on the aftermarket.

I text them after the announcement today and gave them the date and let them know we'd have to know what to do upon release.  Hoping the Vegas pull will entice them but I've been trying to talk to them about going to the ROH Anniversary PPV/tapings there in March.

This one feels like one I need to go to.  I was supportive of All In but didn't feel invested enough to go but this concrete promotion, really focusing on an alternative instead of direct competition, I really want to see get going.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline The Amazing Rando

• Apparently Smart?
    • Opposite Attractions
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2019, 11:53:37 AM »
While some are saying the turning away of fans isn't true, there's also video of security turning people away specifically because they are wearing AEW stuff, sooooo....
A Horrible Premise - Episode 48: TEN CORGIS TAPED TOGETHER - an improv comedy game show podcast about creating 'horrible' tv shows.

Opposite Attractions - a comedy design podcast where two idiots design their very own theme parks. SEASON 6 IS UNDERWAY!

Apparently Artistic - See my dubious attempts at making art.

Bro, Do You Even Tweet?

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2019, 11:56:06 AM »
While some are saying the turning away of fans isn't true, there's also video of security turning people away specifically because they are wearing AEW stuff, sooooo....

They have a history of doing this, most recently a couple years back when they had people wearing BC shirts turn them inside out or changing.