Author Topic: All Elite Wrestling  (Read 15806 times)

Description:

Speed 6, Youth N Asia and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
Re: All Elite Wrestling
« Reply #600 on: May 12, 2019, 07:52:58 AM »
They can't keep the same momentum that long.

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #601 on: May 12, 2019, 08:11:16 AM »
They had no problem keeping momentum in the year leading up to All In, and the upcoming Double or Nothing. They also have FFTF and All In 2 coming up as well. They'll be fine. Folks seem to really underestimate how viral and active these guys are, digitally-speaking.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #602 on: May 12, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »
All In was completely different. I mean that was a statement-making show, built exclusively for certain kinds of fans, and was on paper as stacked as they could make it.

Interest in Double Or Nothing isn't as high as it was, which is solely because they announced it way too soon. It'll do well for them, I'm sure, but they have to keep the momentum up from there to this potential TV deal. Not everyone who's interested cares about the viral stuff, they want shows. Dustin and Cody are in top form, but not everyone cares about BTE, and I just am voicing concerns that people might be overestimating a lot of the viral aspects.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #603 on: May 12, 2019, 09:38:01 AM »
I really, really want them to succeed but I will be honest, my interest is not where it was a few months ago.  I was hyped when things were fresh and new and happening. Then I got shut out of buying tickets.  Then they announced the matches which should all be solid but nothing I am dying to see.  Like, I didn't love Omega-Jericho as much as others did so having them face off again isn't anything I am dying to see.  Granted, they don't want to blow their wad and give us Kenny-PAC right away but Kenny-PAC would almost guarantee I buy the show, instead I am making comments about how it seems odd to pay $60 to stream a show now because there is nothing I feel I must see.
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #604 on: May 12, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
I would never pay 50-60 dollars to watch anything, so yeah, that's where I'm at. That announcement left me feeling a bit disillusioned. I don't care what it is, I stopped doing it a long time ago with the UFC, I'm not doing it. Period. When Shitdown moves to Fridays I won't be watching that anymore, so it's a matter of whether or not I'll continue watching wrestling on Monday and Tuesday when they get their TV deal. I do not know yet.

I think I'd rather watch soccer or something like that though so that's where I'm at. If MLS ever adds weekday games I'm not sure I'll watch any of this stuff anymore.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #605 on: May 12, 2019, 09:45:58 AM »
Charging so much for DON is a sure misfire especially when it wasn't nearly that much to watch All In. In the age where all these wrestling companies have affordable streaming services, it feels a bit irresponsible. I'm still holding out hope though that something else with a better price tag comes up. The card looks solid enough so that's not a problem.

Online Big Beard Booty Daddy

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #606 on: May 13, 2019, 04:21:44 AM »
Just announced, and I'm stoked!

2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #607 on: May 13, 2019, 04:27:57 AM »
OH

SHIT

Also, LOL at them (poorly) photoshopping the Lucha Underground logo out of Angelico's hat.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #608 on: May 13, 2019, 04:31:13 AM »
Just announced, and I'm stoked!

And it typical Jack Evans fashion, he double booked himself that day. Oh Jack, never change

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #609 on: May 13, 2019, 04:33:45 AM »
That definitely seems on par with Evans. I like Jack but he's always been a weird dude off-camera. There was some drama between him and WrestleCircus last year because he blasted them on Twitter for not paying him which led to the owners making it public that he doesn't own a cellphone or a bank account (apparently his wife gets his paydays).

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #610 on: May 13, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #611 on: May 13, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »
Pre-network it was nothing to get a few buds over to throw in even stevens on the cost of a PPV as long as I supplied beer and pizza.

I don't think these guys are gonna show up for an unknown quantity. I'll throw in at someone else's party, though.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #612 on: May 14, 2019, 11:43:02 PM »
It's officially official!

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #613 on: May 15, 2019, 12:56:01 AM »
I don't trust the Turner execs to not have the idea that another Monday Night Wars is possible. I hope we're many years away from that, if ever.

Congrats either way. This is great news for the business and wrestling fans.

Also:

Offline Saints_Fan_H

« Reply #614 on: May 15, 2019, 02:01:15 AM »
Only this time the slow 3 count isn't for dramatic effect, he's just getting up there in age.

<3 Earl.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #615 on: May 15, 2019, 02:34:13 AM »
My hope is that they bring him out for big matches only. He'd be a good guy to have behind the scenes, just keep him away from the merch.

Also:

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #616 on: May 15, 2019, 02:41:09 AM »
Re the Turner execs/MNW, it's not even the same company anymore is it?

Offline Avid Warehouse Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #617 on: May 15, 2019, 03:19:25 AM »
Not really. The AOL/Time Warner merger fucked the whole company up, IIRC, and even if it didn't? It's been 18 years. There's always a good bit of turnaround over that timeframe.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #618 on: May 15, 2019, 03:48:50 AM »

Who needs Shaq/Big Show? I'm talking about SHAQ/OMEGA BABYYYYYYYYYYY

• Admin
« Reply #619 on: May 15, 2019, 04:10:19 AM »
No rights fee apparently.

damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline Two-Time Hall of Famer

• Kreese
« Reply #620 on: May 15, 2019, 07:04:52 AM »
I’ve never cared for Earl Hebner as a ref and his presence in WWE and TNA served as continued justification for them to do Montreal finishes years after everyone got sick of that shit. No thanks.

Offline Next Big Comedy Star

• brock lock
« Reply #621 on: May 15, 2019, 07:45:35 AM »
Yeah Hebner is crazy distracting during matches and tries to get himself over. Hopefully, he's not used that much.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #622 on: May 15, 2019, 09:00:16 AM »
I would never pay 50-60 dollars to watch anything, so yeah, that's where I'm at. That announcement left me feeling a bit disillusioned. I don't care what it is, I stopped doing it a long time ago with the UFC, I'm not doing it. Period.

I agree with this.  There is too much else to do anymore to justify paying $50-60 to watch PPV anymore.  My days of doing that are over.  I'll give the weekly show a look.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #623 on: May 15, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »

(More in the thread)

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #624 on: May 15, 2019, 10:51:27 AM »
AEW (as well as MLW) announced their intentions to have all their refs go through CPR training in light of the Silver King incident.

Why do I picture Earl Hebner sitting in the back making fart noises?
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #625 on: May 15, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »
[img width=800

Offline AA484

• CXF Writer
« Reply #626 on: May 15, 2019, 12:44:58 PM »
Was gonna order this earlier on but I'm with 909, I'm not spending 60 dollars on any PPV, UFC or wrestling.

• Admin
« Reply #627 on: May 15, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
The only things I pay for in life as far as watching things are:

AMC A List (12 theater trips every four weeks) - 20 bucks
Netflix - 12 bucks?
WWE Network - 10 bucks
ESPN+ - 5 bucks

I would pay for Hulu or Prime Video if I had to, but my Prime Video is shared and I don't need Hulu to watch anything yet. The idea of spending 60 dollars for a single watch of anything is unfathomable.

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #628 on: May 15, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »
Is it confirmed that they're not going to be streaming anywhere for a reduced fee though? Even WWE shows are like $50 if ordered through your cable company. I think appearing on cable TV system's PPV is just an arbitrary thing for old people.

Offline fazzle

« Reply #629 on: May 15, 2019, 02:06:37 PM »
Confirmed to be a $50 PPV

Offline CookieMueller

• Forever blowing bubbles
  • CXF Writer
« Reply #630 on: May 15, 2019, 02:15:41 PM »
Well, good luck with that. I wanna say hardcores will buy it but I also feel like between this, Starrcast and just the fact that it's in Vegas in general, most of the hardcores are THERE as opposed to renting anyway.

I'll probably avoid spoilers that night and then get a clean stream of it off one of the sites. I really hate to be that way but at $50, the curious consumer has been priced out of Double or Nothing.

Offline Gert

« Reply #631 on: May 15, 2019, 02:17:36 PM »
Good news is we can root for a poor production and errors, so people can view it free like Tiger v. Phil.

I'm with you guys $49.99 is way too much. I think I would pay between $19.99 to $24.99. That said, I reordered NJPW World to get All In. I am all for companies making money, but I don't know enough of these guys to warrant the $50 price tag.

Didn't read any press releases, but are we to assume that they will be on Wednesday? I assume Monday-Thursday (NBA) & Friday are out?

Offline fazzle

« Reply #632 on: May 15, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »
AFAIK a date hasn't been announced, but it was rumored to be on Tuesday nights

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #633 on: May 15, 2019, 02:32:14 PM »

The belief is he is referring to
Spoiler: show
Jordynne Grace
[img width=800

Offline KingPK

• NXT Guy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • KingPK
    • Spinning In The Tray
« Reply #634 on: May 15, 2019, 04:50:45 PM »
In a world where one can get a lifetime's worth of content for a fifth of the price, AEW screwed the pooch here and they look behind the times.  They can probably get away with it for this show, but as Cookie said, the disgruntled WWE viewer that might want to check them out is probably going to balk at paying $50 for it when they are used to getting PPVs for $10 (which, IIRC, is what B/R Live is per month, so why didn't they just push that as the way to watch and drive up subscriptions?)

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #635 on: May 15, 2019, 11:01:41 PM »

The belief is he is referring to
Spoiler: show
Jordynne Grace

She's already under contract with Impact.

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #636 on: May 16, 2019, 12:29:49 AM »
Bet the song that was done up is either the main theme song for Tuesday Night Dynamite or perhaps even the new theme song for Omega.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #637 on: May 16, 2019, 12:44:30 AM »
Bet the song that was done up is either the main theme song for Tuesday Night Dynamite or perhaps even the new theme song for Omega.

Kenny might be the one. He mentioned on this week's BTE that he was working with someone on a new theme.

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #638 on: May 16, 2019, 01:49:16 AM »
In a world where one can get a lifetime's worth of content for a fifth of the price, AEW screwed the pooch here and they look behind the times.
I agree that this is too much for a single show, but I'm not sure the pricetag is a decision that is all on them.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #639 on: May 16, 2019, 02:01:05 AM »
People have to remember, $49.99 is a typical price for PPVs today. Impact and ROH are still $35-$40. It's also less than UFC and Boxing PPVs. This isn't on their own network, where they can charge whatever they want per month. The cable providers also take a percentage of the price, so it's going to be higher so that they can make money off of it. BR Live might have to be the same price as per their contract it could state that they can't undercut the PPV price via streaming.

Per Dave, Turner is paying for their production, which is a huge thing as that is one thing that can run pretty expensive, and as a startup company, that is a big thing. They are also getting a percentage of the ad revenue.

Offline cobainwasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #640 on: May 16, 2019, 02:15:49 AM »
50 bucks might be the typical price for a PPV but it's still completely ridiculous and most people aren't going to pay it.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #641 on: May 16, 2019, 03:04:36 AM »
I can’t imagine paying $35 for the product that ROH or Impact puts out these days.  I may have tried this show around $30.

Same with Starrcast.  There is some stuff I’d really like to see and they are hyping that you can watch it forever but even with the hours of content, can’t justify that price point.
[img width=800

Offline fazzle

« Reply #642 on: May 16, 2019, 03:11:40 AM »
At this point, they're selling to the diehards who have already bought in, so the $50 price tag isn't as big of an issue.   Down the road once they presumably have some casual fans thanks to the TV show, then the $50 price point will look a lot worse and it will be time to revisit the idea at that time.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #643 on: May 16, 2019, 03:40:47 AM »
50 bucks might be the typical price for a PPV but it's still completely ridiculous and most people aren't going to pay it.

I don't disagree with this at all.

Meltzer brought up some interesting PPV facts. He mentioned some unknown MMA company ran a PPV for a very high price once and no one thought it would sell at all, and it ended up doing pretty solid numbers. He and Alvarez also brought up the idea that, while people complain about high prices, historically when prices go up for PPVs and live shows, sales tend to go up as well. In a time when streaming is popular, that might not still be true, but there is history on their side there.

We don't know their PPV plan. Is this a monthly thing, 4 times a year, once a year? If it's monthly, that kind of price can be dangerous to set, but if it's something of a special attraction, the fans will come out and pay it.

Offline DorianS

• Flik is me
  • CXF Writer
  • @DSookochoff
« Reply #644 on: May 16, 2019, 08:41:15 AM »
https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/report-explanation-for-the-cost-of-aew-double-or-nothing-on-b-r-live

Basically due to contracts, they aren't allowed to undercut the pricing. So you can't really blame AEW for that. It is a damn shame however.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #645 on: May 16, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »
Hopefully BR Live gets a fix, because their streaming has been shit. The Tiger vs Phil game was a flop and they had to refund everyone's money. Even now, on some of their soccer games they have major problems.

• Admin
« Reply #646 on: May 16, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »
The BR Live interface is absolute fucking trash. I had to get a single game pass to watch Liverpool play Bayern Munich and the shit kept freezing constantly.

Offline Kahran Ramsus

« Reply #647 on: May 16, 2019, 11:45:49 AM »
People have to remember, $49.99 is a typical price for PPVs today.

I don't care.  Other people can do whatever they want and if they are fine with it, so be it.  I'm not paying it, regardless of the reasoning for setting that as the price.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #648 on: May 16, 2019, 11:46:52 AM »
People have to remember, $49.99 is a typical price for PPVs today.

I don't care.  Other people can do whatever they want and if they are fine with it, so be it.  I'm not paying it, regardless of the reasoning for setting that as the price.

Aight man, damn

• Admin
« Reply #649 on: May 18, 2019, 10:05:13 AM »
Pac vs. Page is off Double or Nothing and Pac is no longer taking part at all. The reason is apparently creative differences, and it sounds as if Pac was supposed to do a job and did not want to. It makes no sense for him to do a job in the first place, but it goes back to Hangman having friends that Pac does not have.

If only someone could have known this was going to happen...

How can you have a good show when all the main talent has executive vice president titles, some of whom are far less deserving than others and will be pushed over those who deserve a push? You can't.