Author Topic: Indy Compendium 2019  (Read 1865 times)

Description:

Offline Teenage Mutant King Kamala

• CXF Writer
Indy Compendium 2019
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:42:05 AM »

With AEW forming, ROH signing dudes to exclusive contracts, and WWE presumably signing up indy talent, 2019 will be an interesting year for independent wrestling. Who (if anyone) will emerge as breakout stars? Last year, breakout star was a 50 year old Quebecer Pierre so I'm not even going to try to predict that.

Lost in the shuffle of the AEW announcement, Beyond Wrestling announced that they're going to be doing a live weekly TV show on a new streaming service called Independent Wrestling.TV, starting in April. It'll be interesting to see whether or not, they'll be able to translate into a weekly show.

Online Epic by Faith No More

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
Re: Indy Compendium 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:47:48 AM »
Ken Shamrock is starting to make a comeback on the indies and is being booked on a few shows so far this year. People are predicting he'll be this year's PCO but we'll see.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »
Necro Butcher was announced for Joey Janela's Spring Break 3 and a few other shows. Seems like he's doing the comeback route in 2019. Also, Masato Tanaka had a highly entertaining match against PCO at the last GCW sjowof the year the other day, and he's announced for the more shows with them, so he's a other name to add to the list as far as older guys making waves.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• CXF Writer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 09:00:10 AM »
People are predicting he'll be this year's PCO but we'll see.

Yeah, no.

I don't think there's anybody who will replicate this year's PCO phenomena but it'll be fun/sad (mostly sad) to see who promotions try to drag out of mothballs to fill that void. Masato Tanaka seems like good option but it's unrealistic for smaller promotions to book him.

Ya know who can still go for an old dude? 2 Cold Scorpio. Let's see him in BOLA in 2019, baby.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »
Shamrock/Severn in 2019 is my MOTY.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »
Don’t need to go so far back - 2019 will be the resurgence of Michael Tarver
[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

• CXF Writer
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 05:16:24 AM »
https://www.lmtonline.com/sports/article/Original-Green-Ranger-actor-to-make-pro-wrestling-13499211.php
The motherfuckin' GREEN RANGER is gonna wrestle.

I'm gonna MARK THE FUCK OUT when this drops at the next Joey Janela show

and JDF comes out and fucks up Gangrel and Ethan Page.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 01:27:57 PM »
2018 Mae Young Classic competitor, Priscilla Kelly, utilized a used tampon in a spot. Tons of wrestlers are giving her shit over it.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/priscilla-kelly-viral-tampon-video/#.XDF1ElxKg2w

Can somebody please check on Jim Cornette?

Offline no fact, no matter

• •d•u•b•q•
  • Admin
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 01:29:35 PM »
Road Dogg, a guy who works for a company that does business with MBS, says she must have no dignity or personal pride. Fuck him, and anyone clutching their pearls over this. It's a fucking work.
You should probably put your bandit hat on now.

Offline Two-Time Hall of Famer

• Kreese
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 01:40:47 PM »
I don't believe it was an actual used tampon that she pulled out of her cunt during the match. At least I hope not. And it was an over-21 show at a bar and it got over with that crowd so whatever. But if they do that spot at actual wrestling shows with normal crowds it's going to turn a lot of fans off and any promoter looking to book her off of this viral video needs to realize that. It's still not as bad as Joey Ryan's dick spot.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 01:43:48 PM »
Hm. Eh. Just get her to come out to "Pretend We're Dead" and no one would give a fuck.

Offline Two-Time Hall of Famer

• Kreese
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 01:43:49 PM »
In the next five years there's going to be a spot at an indy show where a guy jerks off and cums on his opponent and we're all going to have to deal with it.

Offline Firmino of the 909

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
It's gross, real gross.

Road Dogg used to talk about raping dudes from behind and came out to the ring in blackface. No room to talk from him.

koab [8:27 PM]
damn i thought you guys were good little cucks who would shit themselfs so a POC could peacefully protest

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2019, 01:45:40 PM »
In ten, it'll just be Sweet Movie in a ring.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2019, 02:20:27 PM »
[img width=800

Offline Avid TOXIE Enthusiast

• Laz
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2019, 03:04:03 PM »
That was disgusting, despicable, and in poor taste.

Still higher brow than "Eddie's not in Heaven" or anything Rob Black did. This was fucking rad.

Maybe the real deep state was the friends we made along the way.

Offline Brooklyn Zoo

• BZ
  • BZ
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »
Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Great heel move.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2019, 03:33:30 AM »

Oh Jimmy...

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 11:14:03 AM »
This is happening at my local indy for their February show.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »
They're gonna legit shoot on each other or become besties. No in between.

I mentioned in the 2018 indy thread how Amazing Red is gonna be at Limitless Wrestling tomorrow and we talked about sporadic his appearances are. Well, I didn't how sporadic it really was. Tomorrow is gonna be his first match outside of NYC since 2015! Glad that he finds Westbrook, Maine as suitable of a wrestling hotbed as the Big Apple.

It is a tag match with three of his students so I'm half expecting him to be in "Pin me, pay me" mode but it'll still be awesome to see one of the GOATS of TNA Wrestling History live*.

*Come to think of it I should have mentioned Big Poppa Pump in that Wrestlers We Need to See Live thread. Maybe Limitless will bring him in next!

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 01:21:54 AM »
I saw Red live last month, and he's still got it. Obviously slower than he used to be, but still fun to watch.

That Gage/Steiner match, I will be front row for, and it'll be amazing to see live.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 01:36:36 AM »
Please don’t die, DV
[img width=800

• CXF Writer
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 04:25:38 PM »
Got back from my first show of 2019. Limitless Wrestling's Snakebitten at the Armory in beautiful Westbrook, Maine. It was #packed crowd. A crowd of 400 or so. Pizza slices came from a local house of pizza and were 2 for $3, which is a PRETTY GOOD DEAL (even if pizza barely had any toppings), all beers were $5, including micros. Anyway, I digress. Quick results for anyone who cares

Andrew Everett defeated Josh Briggs with a chokeslam following some distraction via Briggs' rival Chris Dickinson huffing and puffing at the commentary table. Not sure when Andrew Everett started doing a Crash Holly-esque "cruiserweight that acts like a super heavyweight gimmick". Would've liked to see a little bit more back and forth. It was mostly Briggs throwing around Everett before Everett got the fluky win. Still, fun opener.

The Dream Team (Austin Theory and Christian Casanova) (with Stokely Hathaway) beat Harlow O'Hara and Pepper Parks in an intergender tag team match. Before the match, Big Stoke ran down Harlow's original partner Kevin Blackwood, who had to back out of the show after he suffering two broken ankles and a severe concussion in an awful car accident last weekend. Blackwood's replacement was his trainer Pepper Parks. Thought it was kind of weird he went by his original name and not Braxton Sutter but no one cares about the last two years of Impact, I guess. Everytime, I see Austin Theory I'm more impressed and think he's closer to being big league ready. He's got a great look and agility. He came out with the EVOLVE Title, which I thought was p. cool.

Guess I'm a hypocrite for making fun of no one caring about Impact while still kind of caring about EVOLVE.

"Dirty Daddy" Chris Dickinson defeated Simon Grimm with modified/kind of watered down Pazuzu Bomb. Simon Grimm has shaved his mustache recently. He went from looking like a hipster trying to ironically look like a dad to looking an actual dad now that he's clean shaven. It took me a solid 10 seconds to register it was him. Took the crowd a while to get into this but this was solid, hard hitting match. I thought it was odd that they brought in two names and both stuck them in death slots (this and the post intermission match)

Maine State Posse beat Puf & Thick Boyz (John Silver & Jay Freddie) in a six man tag with a backstabber and senton combination after miscommunication between Puf & Thick Boyz.  Puf was in aforementioned car crash with Kevin Blackwood but came out unscathed.  I love me some comedy wrestling and Puf is awesome. He was great as the doofus getting bullied by his dumb jock teammates. Nice comedy match breather before intensity of next match.

Ashley Vox defeated Kris Stadlander with the Fish Hook in an unsanctioned No DQ Match. Fish Hook is Crippler Crossface but sticking the fingers in the opponent's mouth. But since it was UNSANCTIONED, she used some kind of wrench to pull. Eeep. For the second show in a row, Ashley has had Match of the Night. Kris Stadtlander is super promising too (I believe she is a trainee of the great Curt Hawkins) and will probably be one to watch, especially if she tones down her silly extraterrestrial gimmick a bit more and just becomes a straight up asskicker.

Intermission- I buy a Puf koozie and two more beers.

House of Gangone (Anthony Gangone and Amazing Red) beat the Private Party. This is was a very good tag team match but kind of odd placing. Red looked good in semi-limited action but was doing a masked heel lackey gimmick. It was cool to see him but odd to see him in such a secondary role for a secondary match but hey, the guy has a lot of miles and his odometer and he was probably just psyched to get his students a spot on a big indy show. Private Party is fairly underrated indy tag team that might be due for a EYFBO/LAX-esque breakout in 2019.

Brandon Kirk beats Ace Austin, Jordan Oliver, Willow Nightengale, Ophidian, and The Whisper in six man scramble match. This was a scramble. Always kind of fun, usually not particularly memorable. Ophidian's hypnotist gimmick was fun to watch and imagine Jim Cornette flip the fuck out over. He hypnotized everyone and made them dance to "Uptown Funk"! Dennis Condrey never did such a thing. Grumble grumble grumble

Comedy heel cannon fodder Brett Domino issued an open challenge that was answered by returning Limitless mid-card guy Mr. Grim, who does sort of a mortician/hitman gimmick. He carries a bodybag and stuffs his opponent into it after he wins (or his opponent's interfering manager in it if he loses). Most notable part of this match was the crowd chanting "Grim" and Simon Grimm standing up and giving a shrug and a smirk.

Kings (MJF and JT Dunn) defeated Take Me Home Tonight (Ace Romero and Anthony Greene) in wild main event. Probably 2nd best match of the night. Lot of crowd brawling. It feels like they tried to stuff like 6 months of storytelling into six weeks here a bit as TMHT have been feuding for the past year before suddenly reuniting at the end of the last show. They acted hunky dory at beginning of the match but MISCOMMUNICATION led them to being at each other's throats at the end of the match. A wild pull apart ensued between all four opponents in this match until Limitless Owner Randy Carver Jr stomped to the ring and said he trusted all of these guys to lead Limitless into the next decade! So at the next show, we're going to see Fatal Fourway between all four of these men to determine the first Limitless World Champion.

Very interesting. It's kind of odd to see indies in 2019 embracing the old wrestling traditions they once eschewed (having titles, having weekly TV, etc). Also The Hurricane is gonna be on the next show in March so that's nice. Maybe Big Poppa Pump will show up after all.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 12:49:44 AM »
Sounds like a fun show. And I'm still totally jealous that you got to see our buddy AG live again. One day I'll get there for a show, or maybe he'll get to NY one day.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2019, 05:32:43 AM »
?=21

Go home 2019 indies, you're drunk!

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 05:40:33 AM »
Wasn't Bloodsport billed as Matt Riddle's prior to his signing?  And the best they came up with was Barnett?
[img width=800

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 05:45:13 AM »
Yeah, it's branded as a hybrid wrestling/MMA show so after Riddle signed, they went after the biggest star with a background in both and came out with Barnett.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »
I have only the faintest knowledge of MMA but it seems like Frank Mir's pro wrestling debut should be at a bigger show than a random Thursday matinee show during WrestleMania Week but idk. I guess for every Brock, there's several Dan Severns.

Actually Dan Severn rules but that's besides the point

• Laz
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 03:38:12 PM »
It might be a quick trial after seeing the success of Ronda, Lawlor, and Brock especially. If he gets any momentum going with pro wrestling the  you bet your ass that somebody in WWE will sign him to do a match with Lesnar.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 09:53:19 AM »
Limitless announced Tommy Dreamer is making their debut there in March.

It seems like statement on the depth chart for 2019 indy wrestling that a fairly hot promotion like Limitless has to build shows around washed dudes like Hurricane and Tommy Dreamer. I love both those guys but can't say I would've expected to Limitless to book them a year ago.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »
Create A Pro Wrestling, Curt Hawkins' company, is bringing in Kamala and DV favorite Anthony Greene on February 17. I just bought tickets and plan to meet him finally. This show is 2 days after the Steiner show I'm going to, so I'm going to be having some wrestling fun.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 03:08:59 AM »

Oh no.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2019, 12:12:13 PM »
Victoria Vs Anthony Greene is announced for next Beyond show.

Tempted to make the 3 hour drive to RI for that. If I knew, Victoria would enter to t.A.T.u, it might lock my decision to go.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2019, 12:54:39 AM »
As if I couldn't be more excited for the show I'm going to next month, Steiner is doing a meet and greet before the show. Fuck yes!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »
Ricochet is announced as next NXT guy to make a guest appearance in EVOLVE in March in Melrose, MA and Queens.

I'm gonna get tickets. I literally was just thinking about how much I missed seeing Ricochet on indy shows yesterday.

(and anyone who makes fun of me for getting nostalgic over indy shows from two years ago can shaddup.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »

RIP Ricky & Robert

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2019, 04:35:01 AM »

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2019, 04:37:20 AM »
Not for nothing, but I'd totally pay to see that match.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »
I'll post a more comprehensive write-up of the show later this weak but I attended easily one of the most indyriffic wacky zonkey bonkers bizarre and campy wrestling shows that I've seen in a hell of a long time this past weekend in Phoenix during Rumble weekend right after NXT takeover last Saturday. Put on by Elite Wrestling Federation they did a 21+ show called "Money in the "Stank" The only names I was even familiar with were Joey Ryan and Diamante (formerly LAX) and that was it. Apparently Sammy Guevara and Thunder Rosa were supposed to be there but for some reason he wasn't. This company was as low rent as you can get (I mean that as a compliment) and it was weird seeing an indie show from a corner of a back parking lot of a really skeazy bar.....but it was fucking wonky as hell! The gimmicks were over the top and pretty outlandish and crazy....everything indy rasslin should be!!!

For now here's some general info on it ...particular attention to the YouTube vids selling the show....

https://www.purplepass.com/#178187/Elite_Wrestling_Entertainment-Elite_Wrestling_Entertainment_Presents_Money_ln_The_Stank-Ringside_Bar_&_Grill-January-26-2019.html

I'll post some pictures and videos maybe even some gifs later next week

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2019, 03:47:14 PM »

• Laz
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2019, 11:56:36 AM »
Shotzi Blackheart is a fucking treasure. PIZZA CAT!!!

• CXF Writer
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 02:41:35 AM »

I wanna see Double J Vs Gangrel in 2019.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 02:58:16 AM »
Only if it's stopped midway by Teddy Long who then makes it a tag match with Jarrett and Eddie Edwards vs Gangrel and that Mojo Rawley lookalike next to him.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 04:46:58 AM »
Only if it's stopped midway by Teddy Long who then makes it a tag match with Jarrett and Eddie Edwards vs Gangrel and that Mojo Rawley lookalike next to him.

That looks like Chris Dickinson. If it is, he's a really solid wrestler. He works for ICW, GCW, and I believe either Beyond or Limitless.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2019, 05:25:55 AM »
Dirty Daddy Chris Dickinson is one of the top guys in Beyond and a Limitless regular

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2019, 05:42:45 AM »
I've heard/read his name but had no idea what he looked liked.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2019, 06:57:42 AM »
I've heard/read his name but had no idea what he looked liked.

He has a generic look to him, but he's real good. He's facing Orange Cassidy at the next ICW on the 15 (the same show as Gage vs Steiner) for Cassidy's Internet championship. And I'm stoked.

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2019, 07:00:56 AM »
I've warmed up to Orange Cassidy a ton recently. I originally thought he took the comedy act way too far but then I watched this short doc on him:

And I totally get it now. I had no idea he was a generic indy guy who reinvented himself. His schtick would definitely not fly in any major company but he's doing alright for himself.

• Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2019, 07:31:59 AM »
I had heard about him for a while, but the first time I saw him was Joey Janela's Lost in NY. He was in the ladder match and was a riot. He walked up the ladder and down the other side and raised his arms like he won. The place erupted. I was totally on board after that.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2019, 02:13:39 PM »

RIP James E. Cornette
9-17-1961 to 3-14-2019