Author Topic: Over the Edge '99  (Read 311 times)

Description:

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
Over the Edge '99
« on: January 02, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
I feel like shit, and have never seen this show to the best of memory, so why not. It's only 19 and a half years old.

Nice graphic at the beginning, mentioning Owen "who accidentally passed away during this broadcast." I feel like that'll be the only mention of Owen during this version of the show. I'd like to think, and this is just my thought, any company tasteless enough to keep the show going after I died would be cool with keeping the exploitation alive on a $9.99 subscription service as they did on the $29.99 live show.

Opening package for Undertaker/Austin. Ministry Taker was fucking awesome. Hell Taker from mid '96 to when he left in '99 is one of my favorite runs, just for seeing the progression. Going from a rope-walking zombie of the early-to-mid '90s to a rope-walking embodiment of evil during in the Attitude Era was like seeing an old actor transitioning successfully from silents to talkies. Anyway, he's in a robe cutting an evil promo about taking Austin's soul.

Wait...Taker vs Austin happened at least once on PPV for like a good five years. Huh.

Sold out! Kemper Arena! Holy SHIT the energy. You'd barely know it was the same company.

Mideon crippled Vince on Heat. Good for Mideon.

--X-Pac and Kane vs D-Lo Brown and Mark Henry, for the tag titles. X-Pac and Kane's relationship is something I don't think Russo gets credit for. They were one of the acts I loved seeing develop, despite me liking Kane Voorhees murdering fools. It was a good story with a shitty ending, like always. D-Lo and Mark have Ivory with them (forgot all about that) wearing barely anything, but I for one want to know why Mark is in street clothes. Suspicious.

I want to call D-Lo a missed chance, but I don't know what his ceiling would've been at the time. He did click with pretty much everyone, but had he not crippled Droz, he'd have been in the same place. Maybe get plugged in when you needed another plausible guy in a multi-man match. Regardless, without a chest protector, he's super vulnerable to everything. Crowd pops HUGE though for Kane vs Mark Henry. Good. Kane hits a goddamn dropkick because he used to be good no matter what people say. 1999 was the year he got his workin' boots.

I don't hate Ross and Lawler here, for some reason. I think it's the burden of knowledge...

Can't believe it took Henry another five, six years to find himself. Raw as fuck, but the pieces are there.

Tim White is the ref, and he's always been soooo shitty. His knee hits first, then he counts, and it sounds like he's counting to four. I just thought Mark and D-Lo won clean for some reason because of that goof. Kane meanwhile is hitting all these moves I've never seen him bust out, like reverse suplexes and swank tilt-a-whirls. It's like he's playing the guy who did his motion capture for the first Smackdown game. This is a pretty rockin' little Attitude Era tag match.

Kane chokeslams Mark for the pin, to retain. Someone's bleeding from somewhere, I think it might be Mark. What a fun little match, though. Call it, like, *** if you're a star person. I'm just very happy I got what was probably the last good match to take place during Owen Hart's life.

Cole says Vince might not be the second special referee for the main event. I cannot believe that guy, of all of them, is not only still around but the number one announcer.

Kevin Kelly is preparing to interview Hardcore Holly about Al Snow. More to come, maybe.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
Re: Over the Edge '99
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:59:13 AM »
So Holly and Snow hate each other because Holly killed Pierre the Deer. Holly talks about his dad beating him for blaming a broken lamp on his imaginary friend when he was a kid, which is just amusing and a shame they never had a kayfabe dad.

--Hardcore Holly vs Al Snow. Oh man, Al's an armband for the deceased Pierre. This show's really much more morbid than it gets any credit for.
Snow uses Pierre's rotting head as a weapon, cookie sheets, eh. '99 hardcore shit. I loved that first six or so months of the hardcore division, though, when they had shit like Road Dogg vs Gangrel feel like event television.

They're really putting in work, but I don't know if it's me or the age making me not care too much. And we get the Falcon Arrow, or the HOLLYCAUST. I have only the vaguest memories of that. Who cares, Snow wins.

My "Owen Hart Died?!" story: my dad and I were at my grandmothers, getting ready to leave, when the local news had one of those promos. "Coming at ten/eleven, a wrestler dies in the ring!" I remembered the PPV was going, and got kinda panicked. I loved wrestling more than a lot of things when I was thirteen or so, and immediately began thinking who was on the card with most death potential. I think I landed on either Foley or the hardcore guys, just because. Turned on the radio on the way home, hear it was announced as Owen, and it was just a shock. Watched CNN coverage, listened to the radio, just wanting to get an idea of what actually happened because I was on internet restriction and had no idea about the entrance planned.

Show went on, which was bullshit, and it was the talk of school the next day. Friend of mine bought the show and recorded it, but it took a few weeks to sink in. Everyone else reminisced about his fucking awesome spinning heel kick. Time has made me realize Owen is by far my favorite Hart.

Anyway, awkward cuts lead us to a really shook Jarrett and Debra coming out to really shook announcing. Crowd isn't sure quite what to do, but the show is going on so they go with it.

--Val Venis and Nicole Bass vs Jeff Jarrett and Debra. See now the show feels fucking gross.

Never got the Nicole Bass signing beyond them wanting Stern coverage, because we never got her and Chyna having the worst match in history like logic would dictate. But maybe they're booked on the giant freakshow in the sky by now. Jarrett and Val are making a point to work VERY safely in the VERY middle of the ring, with visible loose ropes. Val does go for an elbow off the corner Owen hit, though, for some reason. Bass takes a terrible guitar shot to the back from Debra and gets hardway'd, Money Shot, end of things.

I knew this wouldn't be a fun show, but it's proving to be pretty interesting. Their whitewashing is fascinating but I'm not appreciating it.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:24:34 PM »
This was the first thing I watched when I got the network when I discovered it was there. Such an eerie show even tho all of the Owen references are removed I’m shocked Vince allowed it to go up with his promise to never broadcast the event again.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 01:26:41 PM »
I don't know if I'm surprised or not, unless a condition was put in somewhere with his family to cut all the Owen references. I'm very curious to see the rest. I know it won't be very good and no one will want to be there, but I'm just so curious. At the time, as a fan, I was really tired of Taker/Austin and Rock/HHH, but given all that went on I'm very curious how those matches are.

Don't get me wrong, this is a gross show, but it's fascinatingly so.

Offline Sabre

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
The fact they sent the fans home with a shitty ending (which is understandable with where the story was going in hindsight) was just horrible as well.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 01:54:57 PM »
The crowd reaction got really interesting when I shut it off for the day (I'm trying to do this little by little over the next however many days given that I'm all kinds of sick). Cutting from Al Snow shuffling his way to the back to a pretaped stooges promo to the super abrupt start of the mixed tag really showed me the crowd would definitely have understood if they stopped the show. They didn't pop for any shtick (except puppies), they just had loud murmuring moments. They knew something was BAD wrong, but if the show was going on, maybe it was a swerve.

Really hope my friends and I weren't the only ones who, in the back of our mind, hoped it was a work and Owen would be the Greater Power. That was a big deal for us, in terms of markhood and just getting past how horrible it was.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • Spectrox Toxaemia
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 04:10:17 PM »
We get Vince loaded into an ambulance, as we hit the tasteless right in the Blazer.

It's weird hitting a point where literally everything else on the show doesn't matters. It's uncharted waters.

Package for the Road Dogg/Billy Gunn. The accusation is that Billy Gunn turned heel when he became Mr. Ass. Makes sense, honestly. No one likes a guy named Mr. Ass. Road Dogg's promo has an obvious should out to Owen, but it gets cut in half awkwardly. The editing is hurting everything about this show that should never have happened.

--Road Dogg vs Billy Gunn. We get "Assman!" Then we get the match that you expect. Two guys, varying charisma, having a slow match that has flashes of being interesting but fuck it. You ever play Warzone? It's that. They don't know what the hell to do is all I can think of. An argument could be made to both fill up time and make the crowd die.

People hate Billy Gunn, and for good reason, but I never minded him as a tag guy. Singles Billy is just hilarious. Always did love it when he'd hit his super safe Jackhammer, though. Road Dogg was a big favorite of mine because of the hardcore shit. Whereas here we get a sleeper with arm-drops and shit. Exposures all around. Billy wins, but I'm thinking more about why the show is still going. I think Vince sees making the show just suck balls extra hard as a midway point.

--Acolytes/Bossman/Viscera vs The Union. Foley wants OUT. He's the most shook yet. It's Survivor Series rules, for some reason. You can almost see Foley realize he's standing in the corner where Owen fell. Match-wise, Test has blue and white trunks like a goob. Vis has his trashbag pants.

I really liked Test. He should've gotten the title over Show, and I don't know how people could disagree. But he's moving well here, for being green as FUCK and against a team of guys who would wreck his shit if he fucked up. His flying elbow doesn't have the magic that only a romantic storyline can give a flying elbow. Anyway, he's out.

Shamrock comes in and wrecks fools. Taps out Bradshaw. This is gonna be quick. Shamrock should've Goldberg'd everyone. Vis is sucking anything good out of the match, sadly. Watched some old MOM stuff last night, just because, and he had so much mobility for an RV. Shamrock goes HAM on everyone until Bossman gets Faarooq to the ropes, which is the how you get Shamrock to snap and kill refs. So Show takes out Faarooq.

Show/Bossman, a sign of things to come, are gonna throw down. Bossman wants to get counted out, and that big nasty bastard brings him back. Foley is just acting REALLY not cool on the apron. Headlock that won't stop, Show gets the arm drops butohnohedoesnt. Show and Vis fight to the back and I'm guessing just aren't coming back, so Foley Vs Bossman.

So this goes on for a bit, and it sucks pretty bad. Finally we get Socko and it's all over. Why did I have a measure of optimism for this?

Video package for HHH/Rock, with the BIRTH OF THE SLEDGEHAMMER as he tries to kill Rock while he's trapped in a casket. Rock broke his arm and is at a disadvantage, see.

Pre-"My Time" is a weird entrance era for HHH. You can hear a little "No Chance" in there.

HHH vs The Rock. I fucking LOVED HHH and really wanted him to win the belt at the first chance he'd have. He was always such a clear level behind everyone else that I never really thought it'd even happen, like Foley almost. But both guys are somehow able to shut off the craziness happening backstage and be all business out there. It's just a Rock/HHH match, and that's exactly what everyone wanted and needed.

It actually is a little surreal seeing Chyna with The Game HHH. But you can totally see how refined HHH got over the next few months, let alone next year. The pieces were definitely there for him to be a top heel who could work. By the same token, the Rock was good. Like once he won the title the first time, he never looked back and found the exact formula, sorta like Hogan to an extent (but Rock could GO). Anyway, HHH just punches Hebner for the DG and Rock takes him out with a horrific unprotected chairshot.

Hell of a brawl between Rock and HHH after until Foley breaks it up. Match of the night, easy. A weaker match than they'd have later, but those two clicked stupid well. This show actually does have something worth watching. I'm just going to assume that was a "do it for Owen" match, because it would frankly make me feel better about enjoying it.

Finally, Austin vs the Undertaker. We get a recap of the dark wedding with Stephanie, the birth of the Corporate Ministry, which was the shark-jumper for me. I LOVED the idea of the Ministry just being this Satanic force of hatred who would just take out everyone, regardless of who they were. But we get shorts of both Austin and Taker crucifying themselves, so please, do carry on.

Refs are Shane and Vince. We know who wins. I can't give a shit, because sending the fans home unhappy (unhappier) is fucked up. They should've at LEAST, at the minimum, let Austin win and drop it on a Raw in a couple weeks, for the sake of the fans who saw a guy die in horrific fashion and were literally just told a guy died in horrific fashion.

Ministry Taker's music, with the speaking in tongues, was awesome. Guy has maybe the best track record with entrance themes.

Austin's pop is fucking UNGODLY. There's never going to be another one. Not even Apollo Crews.

--Steve Austin vs The Undertaker. Taker, the best pure striker in hell, pops Austin a couple times. Mudholes get stomped. They trade some knee work, trying to fuck up their cervical dervicals, but Austin gets the better.

This brawl is good and all, and it's got two of the best of the era having it, but there is still a dead guy who ironically probably would've been a lifer with the company. Enough good shit (and it isn't even top-shelf shit) has been happening to make me now feel extremely guilty for liking the bits I'm liking and have liked.

Taker and Austin had some great chemistry until they didn't. This is by far on the lower end, but for the time period it's perfectly acceptable. The journey from, I dunno, Cold Day In Hell to Backlash '02 is a weird example of chemistry deterioration. That's being said WELL aware of how shitty the Buried Alive thing was and basically any non-Summerslam match from '98. But as this match drifts from fun chaos to just Russo, I ironically really want to see the First Blood match again because I used to really like that one.

Please just end this and screw Austin already. I'm over it.

Austin gives Taker a really gross chairshot to the head, now the fucking overbooking crap is happening. Nothing makes the case for Vince McMahon more than refusing to stop a show where a guy died in the ring because he himself is booked as a major component in the main event.

Shane pushes Vince who falls into Taker who falls on top of Austin and Shane makes a fast count. 1999.

Well I'm never watching that again. There's some pretty alright work, and HHH/Rock couldn't have bad matches, but it all depends on how disgusted it makes you feel. It's not a fun show, nor should it be, but it is definitely a curiosity, like a Green Bay glory hole.