Author Topic: ROH put the world title on Jerry Lynn  (Read 5121 times)

Description:

Offline wnyxmcneal

ROH put the world title on Jerry Lynn
« on: April 03, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »
April Fools!

Oh, it's April 4th.

Yes, they actually put the world title on Jerry Lynn.

Offline Jingus

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 04:21:22 PM »
Why not?  They just started a new TV show, and he's the only guy they have with any kind of name recognition among more casual fans.  Plus, if you can't have a good match with Jerry Lynn, sell your gear and quit the business. 

It's gonna be funny reading the reaction at DVDVR and and similar places, cuz they hate Lynn with a passion that utterly perplexes me.  Every single wrestler I've ever known considers Jerry to be a damn fine worker (he's also a terribly nice guy), and the amount of mindless hatred he gets in some smarkdoms is mystifying to me. 

Offline wnyxmcneal

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »
Because it's Jerry Lynn?

No one in ROH really cares about him, he cut a promo in NYC at Final Battle that just died live. Plus, Nigel's title reign has been about building up Tyler Black as the guy to finally take it from him.

He also just faced KENTA last week, do it then.

For the record, I know Nigel was hurt, but that's no excuse to put the title on Jerry Lynn.

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 04:25:12 PM »
KENTA over Jerry Lynn? Can't say I agree there.

Plus, it's a retread after Morishima.

Lynn's a fine choice. I doubt he'll hold it very long, but for a few months? Perfectly acceptable. Not every title reign can be, nor should be as long as the last few ROH have done. They start running together and being relatively meaningless when you continuously do them.

Offline Jebus

• Be excellent to each other!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »
No surprise...

With Nigel's injuries, it was gonna be Lynn beating him tonight or Nigel forfeiting the belt soon enough.

Offline The ghost of bps21

• Wade the Duck says: Your brush with Greatness is OVER!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:26:43 PM »
"Why not?  They just started a new TV show, and he's the only guy they have with any kind of name recognition among more casual fans"

Jingus just recited, word for word, every conversation that ended with Jeff Jarrett getting an NWA title run.

Offline wnyxmcneal

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:27:36 PM »
The only thing similar about KENTA and Morishima is that their Japanese.

Nigel beats everyone, only to lose to Jerry Lynn? I would've had him job to KENTA or do the MITB storyline with Black

Offline Jingus

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
It's not Jerry's fault that Nigel got hurt and Pearce decided to just 'tard out about Black.  And he's never ever been any good as a talker (except when doing comedy promos, which he can surprisingly good at) so any promo from him bombing into the ground shouldn't be anything new.  

My post was more aimed at the people out there who would claim that Mark Henry is a much better wrestler than Jerry Lynn.  If that sounds impossible, I'm serious, those types of contrary smarks are legion on some boards.  

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 04:31:26 PM »
I think it's ok for what they're trying to accomplish right now, and I'm sure he's just a transitional champ to give whatever kind of rub he has to Tyler Black

Now whether or not I agree with what they're trying to accomplish and the general direction the company is going in, or whether they should be putting the belt on Tyler Black, that's a whole 'nother question

Offline wnyxmcneal

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 04:32:50 PM »
It's not Jerry's fault that Nigel got hurt and Pearce decided to just 'tard out about Black.  And he's never ever been any good as a talker (except when doing comedy promos, which he can surprisingly good at) so any promo from him bombing into the ground shouldn't be anything new.  

It's still a bad choice. A lot of the fanbase doesn't care for him and wasn't feeling The Wrestler storyline, and he can't talk.

Until Nigel comes back, I don't think I'm going to a show.

I know this isn't ROH's fault, but man, Paul London v. Nigel would've been insane. I think that'd be the most heated ROH match ever.

Offline Cool, Bad, & Handsome

• KOAB
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »
Are they still going with Jerry Lynn as their Randy "The Ram" character or have they dropped that little plot line since the Oscars are over?

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 04:50:40 PM »
until Nigel comes back, I don't think I'm going to a show.

I know I'm in a distinct minority here, but I've never really cared for McGuinness all that much.  I don't exactly dislike him, but I'm the opposite of you, I would never watch the product just to see him.  Him holding the belt for as long as he did really did a lot to hurt my interest in ROH.  It wasn't the sole reason, but it was a pretty big one.  I really felt like Danielson should have won the belt back from Morishima, and at the same time Nigel should have been built up more underneath to take the belt off of AmDrag.  It would have meant so much more for him to win the belt from Danielson, and it would have meant more for Danielson to win it from Morishima.  In the interim Nigel could have had a tag title run or a blood feud or something like that high profile enough to build him up and keep him busy, but I've just never bought him as the creme de la creme of the company. 

You know ROH has never had a two time holder of the world title, which is downright ridiculous, and Danielson really should have been the guy to do it before they had ANOTHER first time champ.

Offline wnyxmcneal

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 04:55:54 PM »
That's fine. Nigel's been my favourite since 2004 basically, as I'm a huge mark for British wrestlers. They were really building to an epic Hammerstein Black v. Nigel match, but Pearce happens

I will always regret going to an SNL afterparty instead of the show where he won the title.

Offline timmy8271

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »
I don't see why they didn't just put it on Danielson last year? Oh well, Jerry Lynn is better than putting it on D-Lo Brown or Kevin Steen.

Offline grapeswasmurdered

• Poster of the Year
  • CWM
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 05:23:32 PM »
Bob I don't see why you'll stop going, unless you don't enjoy Lynn's wrestling? I've always enjoyed his in-ring work if not his mic skills.

I'm still not quite half way through 2007 so I can't say if this is a good or bad choice.

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 05:51:04 PM »
The reason KENTA would be a retread is because:

A) They are Japanese. Most would see that and subconsciously think "This feels familiar".
B) They are from the same company.
C) Both were/are not the top stars of their respective divisions.
D) They are from the same generation.

KENTA wouldn't be able to do every show like ROH needs right now. They need a strong champion front and center. Plus, KENTA over Nigel? I can't buy it. I don't even LIKE Nigel and you're talking about a guy in KENTA that is primarily a kicking/knee/suplex based wrestler against a MUCH MUCH taller guy who does all that as well. If you were going to do that, you should have used Marufuji since he has accomplished much more then KENTA and is much more popular in both Japan and the states.

I'm not sold on Tyler Black either, but it's clear ROH thinks he's the guy to go to. Jerry Lynn, filling in for Nigel, and giving Black a name to beat while you then build to Nigel/Black down the road is a fine business decision. Just upping and deciding to put it on a Japanese wrestler you don't even have under contract is not.

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »
Is Marufuji really more popular/well known in the states than KENTA?  I feel like KENTA has a pretty big cult following in the IWC and has more name recognition among more casual/WWE centric fans, at the very least as the guy CM Punk stole his moveset from

Offline Amy pats fan

• P dot Roy
  • THUGBUTT CHEATERS
  • hashtag trashbag
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »
nm

Offline Hawkius Maximus

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »
I suppose it's questionable that in the states KENTA is as popular as Marufuji. I don't think so, but I guess it could be.

In Japan it is not.

Offline The Buzz

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 06:41:51 PM »
I was kind of hoping Lynn got the belt next, or Danielson getting a second reign. I like Tyler Black and I'm sure he's going to end up with the belt or with quite a few more main events before he gets scooped up by one of the bigger companies.

Offline The Real DXP

• daileyxplanet
    • TrevorTwitter
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 01:45:08 AM »
Lynn will bring the workrate holding the spot for Danielson or McGuinness. Not too bad.

Offline wnyxmcneal

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 01:47:37 AM »
Bob I don't see why you'll stop going, unless you don't enjoy Lynn's wrestling? I've always enjoyed his in-ring work if not his mic skills.

I'm still not quite half way through 2007 so I can't say if this is a good or bad choice.

Nigel is my favourite wrestler, and I haven't really enjoyed the Pearce era. At most ROH shows, my friends and I just talk the whole time anyway. So with no Nigel, I don't really have a reason to go