Author Topic: Impact Wrestling Winter-Spring 2019- Homecoming  (Read 384 times)

Description: Quite the pursuit to find out where Pursuit is!

Offline God King Emperor Kamala

• CXF Writer
Impact Wrestling Winter-Spring 2019- Homecoming
« on: January 04, 2019, 08:52:48 AM »
New year and Impact is in the same old situation. They're changing networks and this one has even less viewership than the last one. It feels like Impact is now a distant #3 promotion in the US (and that is only until AEW starts and then they'll be a distant #4!). Might even by at risk of falling of the top 5 this year to be honest.

Hey! They have a PPV this weekend. Also it's very like them to have their go home show for it be their lame duck last show on PopTV.

Anyway, they are going back to their original stomping grounds The Asylum for this show so that might be exciting. Maybe Don West or Mattdotcom will show up!

Impact Wrestling Homecoming
January 6th, 2019
Live from the Asylum in Nashville, Tennessee

Impact World Heavyweight Title Match
Johnny Mundo (c) Vs Brian Cage

Impact Knockouts Title Match (Special Guest Referee: Gail Kim
Tessa Blanchard (c) Vs Taya Valkyrie

Ultimate X Match for the Vacant Imprect Wrestling X Division Title
Rich Swann Vs Jake Crist Vs Ethan Page Vs Trey Miguel

Impact World Tag Team Titles Match
LAX (c) Vs The Lucha Bros

Monster's Ball Match
Abyss Vs Eli Drake

Falls Count Anywhere Match
Eddie Edwards Vs Moose

Sami Callihan Vs Willie Mack

Kiera Hogan and Jordynne Grace Vs Allie and Su Yung

Offline Sabre

Re: Impact Wrestling Winter-Spring 2019- Homecoming
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 01:43:13 PM »
They released the cold opening to the show on the YouTube channel. It actually got me semi invested.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 05:34:11 AM »
I guess Raven and Tommy Dreamer had their 27th reunion on the last episode of Impact Wrestling lol

TFW you and your friend hear there's $15 all you can eat riblets, fried shrimp, and chicken tenders at Applebees all month.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 05:00:30 AM »
I hadn't caught Kamala plugging the move to Pursuit in the start of the thread.  I looked this up today and saw I do have the channel on DirecTV and it is a good start since the show airing when I checked was CRAPPIE MASTERS TV.

At least I get the channel in my current package.  The move to Destination America is what killed a lot of my regular viewing.  I still watched the bulk of the Spike show, even when it was bad.  Falling out of the product with Destination America, the whole Pop run really became fast-forward skim viewing for me.  Even this last week's show.  I don't know, Impact just feels really low rent for me.  Maybe because I've never gotten too into some of their current bigger acts - like I know people love Pentagon but I've been pretty indifferent to him.

[img width=800

Fan: WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN
Kevin Nash: Kidman wears a wife beater

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 06:13:02 AM »
Yeah sometimes my weekly view of Impact becomes maybe a half hour of actually watching some decent stuff there but I'm still going to be fast-forwarding through some meaningless tags with teams I'm just not invested in but I'm seeing some of the more recent influx of younger talent at the last taping (they were pushing the Rascalz pretty good) that might be able to add to a more of kind of formula similar to MLW right now, mixed with corniness and over the top stuff here and there like Lucha Underground always had.

To me, Impact this past yea kind of became Lucha Underground 2.0 in a sense because there was so much talent they brought in from there after they stopped taping their seasons but I think something has to be said that they really did turn things better creatively than they were and in general the pay-per-views were certainly much better...but I think anything would have been an improvement by the way things were going at the end of last year for them but it's just too bad it didn't resonate in more viewership for them.

Any way you slice it moving to this other channel is going to be a step down because I think I read that's half of their viewership opportunity is immediately going to be cut with the move plus stuck being put in on a very strange time as well, but I guess their idea is going to be trying to piggyback off of Smackdowns viewers on Friday nights or something. They honestly would have been better off just staying on a Thursday because that still is not going to be taken by anybody although now that gives AEW an opportunity to either do Tuesdays or Thursdays whenever they decide on their weekly show.

It sounds like they may take the approach of getting a bit more adult-centered in the content of the programming on a weekly basis this year and we'll see what that means in terms of the pay-per-view tonight too. Maybe they'll try to do some more of a hardcore type of product with more blood or language etc. Having Scarlett do some more risque too? It's not the worst idea in the world...as at least it would give them a niche in the market to focus the product towards. Because becoming a rehash of Lucha Underground just wasn't cutting it obviously. They should try to mirror MLW if anyone.

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 06:17:44 AM »
Anyhow they'll get my purchase tonight for the show as I figure it's got a bit of a nostalgic aspect to it since this is where TNA started back in 2002. I'm actually watching the year one documentary that TNA did quite a while ago where they talked about how they started out in the same location as a homebase that they're going to have the show tonight. All in all, it's a pretty good lead in. I know there was a handful of us that still look back at that time period as pretty much the best time the company ever had and it certainly shows in this documentary. It's just crazy to see all the different directions his company had taken though. There's a huge amount of irony in the fact that the ring broke right before they were going to go live on the first weekly pay-per-view. Looking back, it was an ominous sign!

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 10:17:03 AM »
[img width=800

Offline Sabre

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »
Brandon Walker..... I KNEW YOUD COOOOME

• CXF Writer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
My first thought when reading card was "man, why are they sticking Eli Drake, one of if not the only guy in Impact that is WWE ready in a match with Abyss?"

Then I realized sticking someone in a match with Abyss is 2019 Impact Wrestling's idea of giving an up and comer the rub.  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 01:21:43 AM »
Show last night had subtle reminders of the weekly ppv Asylum days, but the throwbacks were minimal for sure. It was fun seeing another show back in the Asylum though, and I wonder if this will become a yearly tradition (granted, assuming Impact can financially keep going through the next year). Mostly nods to the past like Abyss and Gail Kim having roles but one match (Edwards/Moose) reminded me of back in the day with the brawling all over the old place, including the Raven's Nest area from back in 03-04. Speaking of.....I was kind of surprised Raven didn't have a part in this show since he was involved in the Drake/Abyss storyline. Oh well.

Handful of pretty good matches on the show, you could tell there was an effort for sure to work hard. The crowd was involved as well, which was always a staple of the smaller but enthusiastic fans at the Asylum back in the day. Best match was easily the tag title match which was a relentless action-filled spotfest for sure. The opener Ultimate X was also very well done and was close to best match of the night itself. All of those guys shined pretty well in that one. I'd put the falls count anywhere match with Edwards and Moose as the other match worth checking out.

The other stuff was also decent enough, certainly nothing glaringly bad really. HC match with Eli and Abyss was about what you would expect with Drake taking a rough looking couple of bumps as well as a fall onto tacks that looked painful. Both singles titles on top of the card delivered enough, as Tessa was protected in losing the belt by Gail Kim's offense on her at the end (I'm guessing they get Gail back in for a match with Tessa) and the main had pretty good stuff as well but a kind of out of nowhere somewhat botchy finish. There was a long stall after the finish and it felt like they were running long on time with Taya and Johnny killing time in the ring, signaling some kind of run-in. As it turned out, it was just Killer Kross attacking both of them once they got on the ramp to head to the back. Kross powerbombed Taya into a bunch of fan plants at ringside for the end spot. Not the kind of end to the ppv I was hoping (a surprise run-in by someone new would have been preferred, I had actually expected Aries to return) but still a pretty solid effort again on pay per view for Impact.

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 01:38:02 AM »
Impact also announced that along with being on a network very few people get, they will also air on Twitch at the same time for those that don't get the network. This is a great move by them,
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 02:47:18 AM »
Impact also announced that along with being on a network very few people get, they will also air on Twitch at the same time for those that don't get the network. This is a great move by them,

I hope this gets the old fanbase back to the fold from that move. I'd even archive the Impact episode weekly on Twitch as well to take that a step further. Hopefully they kind of push Twitch more on the shows regularly and on social media too or else it might be lost on a big chunk of the old over million viewers TNA used to have when they were on Spike. With the viewership potential on Pursuit, they are going to have even a harder time as that is in half the homes that POP was. Move after move, they have lost a pretty big chunk of fans that never came back. But this is a good idea to get them back as long as people recognize how Twitch works and the many platforms its on. I watch Twitch stuff regularly through my ps4, as an example.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:17:57 AM »
According to Meltzer,Jericho tried to set up a meeting between Tony Khan and Impact over the Khans buying Impact back in the Fall (before AEW started coming into place)

I'm guessing Tony Khan had same reaction he would have had if Jericho asked him if he wants Blaine Gabbart to return as Jags starting QB.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 04:30:25 PM »
You, a weak brained person: Well, Impact Wrestling has reached a new low. With AEW starting, ROH expanding, and them moving their lowest viewed network yet, their relevancy is decreasing at a rapid rate.

Me, a galaxy brained person: Big Poppa Pump returned tonight and will bring Impact back to its mid '00s heights.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 06:46:48 AM »
I didn't catch the initial Pursuit airing but got this week - they are only airing 30 minute Impacts now?
[img width=800

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 06:52:25 AM »
My recording only caught a 30 minute block.  It looks like it cut off during the Flashback of the Week segment.  So I will have to figure out what happened.
[img width=800

Offline Detective Ventriloquist

• My name's not fucking Warren
  • Canadian Destroyer213
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 10:41:11 AM »
My recording only caught a 30 minute block.  It looks like it cut off during the Flashback of the Week segment.  So I will have to figure out what happened.

I noticed that, too. I set my DVR to record the first half hour and extended the end time by 90 minutes to catch the whole thing. I don't get that at all. Hopefully it's fixed going forward. They also don't list the episodes as "new" so I had to set my DVR to record new and repeat episodes to not miss anything.
2012 TRTSM Fantasy Hockey Champion

• CXF Writer
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »
Impact Wrestling and MLW are combining their WrestleMania Week shows.  :-\

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 08:08:50 AM »
Impact Wrestling and MLW are combining their WrestleMania Week shows.  :-\

With Konnan head booker for both shows (as well as Dreamer helping both as well), probably will be seeing more of MLW/Impact mashups.

So did RVD/Sabu sign with Impact for more than one date Mania week vs. Fenix/Pentagon? That should be an interesting match. MLW actually would benefit from a Van Dam run as well.

Read that the official numbers from at least that first week of Impact on Pursuit was absolutely jaw dropping terrible. This doesnt shock me though, mostly because Pursuit gave zero fucks about making the show even watchable if you DVR'ed it. They were doing the 30 minute blocks on Impact for at least the first 3 weeks if I recall. Made it impossible to record properly and I would assume the Friday night timeslot made it even that much more tedious to view live.

FWIW, nothing is making me think there is any momentum on the horizon but the tag title match from the last episode was fucking tremendous.

Offline geniusMoment

• Trailer Park Supervisor
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 08:35:23 AM »
I honestly don't even get how Impact is still a thing.

But, the only chance I think they have (and it's a tiny chance) is to go full on ECW.  No promotion has ever really tried it in over a decade.  There have been hints here or there that both they and other promotions have done over the years but nothing all out.  I'm talking all out with the violence, sex and rock and roll style of ECW in the 90s.  I think it's their only chance to build a niche market for themselves.  I do think there is a core audience for that product, and if you cater to them you could probably even travel, and draw similar gates (1,500 or so die hards).  Since it doesn't look like they're ever getting on a major tv station again you wouldn't need to worry about your style running off stations.

If that is your direction I really think you need to base your promotion in the northeast, get some syndication, and run shows around the old ECW loop.
Randy!

Offline RedJed

• Rasslin' Rambler
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 08:52:41 AM »
I honestly don't even get how Impact is still a thing.

But, the only chance I think they have (and it's a tiny chance) is to go full on ECW.  No promotion has ever really tried it in over a decade.  There have been hints here or there that both they and other promotions have done over the years but nothing all out.  I'm talking all out with the violence, sex and rock and roll style of ECW in the 90s.  I think it's their only chance to build a niche market for themselves.  I do think there is a core audience for that product, and if you cater to them you could probably even travel, and draw similar gates (1,500 or so die hards).  Since it doesn't look like they're ever getting on a major tv station again you wouldn't need to worry about your style running off stations.

If that is your direction I really think you need to base your promotion in the northeast, get some syndication, and run shows around the old ECW loop.

Im with you on this. I've said it before that I thought Impact was going to be taken in a more brazenly hardcore direction in an attempt to get eyes on the product and I still think it needs to happen but its like they kinda pull back after every attempt. They got Konnan and Dreamer in more of a creative role, so the pieces of the puzzle are there. Lucha Underground had very heavy hints at doing this too with all the blood and intergender stuff but Impact could go there and even farther for sure. Make the product TV-MA for sure, turn on the tits and ass quotient bigger than any other wrestling company has done since the late 90s WWE/mid 90s ECW (they got it all set up with Scarlett), do the crazy gimmick matches Lucha Underground started to do with massive stuntfests, and find a region and keep sticking to it. It could very well be Canada that it ends up being and if so, great. I think they would be able to draw there if they started testing out markets more. Might be the only way to keep costs down. Else I think besides the northeast, the Kentucky/Tennessee area with redneck heat would probably work too for this. I'd even consider much like LU did and buy out a location and turn it into a TV studio with the ability to use the facility to create a unique feel within that hardcore environment. Still do pay per views in outside locations though.

• CXF Writer
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »
Rumor has it that Impact will be running a set of tapings at 2300 Arena so those last two posts might be prophetic.

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
Well, Impact loses another one of the few talents left I actually cared about

[img width=800

Offline Wrestlecuck

• www.wrestlecuck.com/forums
  • Kreese
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 12:39:06 PM »
Meltzer reported that the first Impact on Pursuit got somewhere around 12,000 viewers. Wish Cyrus was still around to debunk this report.

Offline Epic Reine

• Reine of Terror
  • Epic Reine
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 06:56:41 AM »
I enjoyed the Taya/Tessa street fight though it was hilarious watching Tessa try to avoid hitting Taya's boobs during their seated chop-off.

Offline The Valeyard

• CXF Writer
  • John Vernon as The Mayor
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 07:00:36 AM »
Someday we'll get boob-based psychology in a match and not think anything about it beyond "Finally."

Offline Baby Shoes

• CXF Writer
  • Baby Shoes
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 07:03:17 AM »
The past few weeks, the DVR was recording the full show but this week it only recorded half an hour again.

Got the Tessa/Taya match which I kinda spend through.  I like Tessa but I don't know why, I just don't care for Taya.  I know a lot of people do but I just haven't cared for her so far.  Glad I got my Eli Drake promo time though.  I do find it weird that Sami and Eddie are cool enough to be on the same World Cup team though - especially when the angle includes Eli telling Eddie to knock off the weirdo "hardcore" shit that started with the Sami feud and go back to being the classic Eddie Edwards.
[img width=800